UK Financial Crisis

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

UK Financial Crisis

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:22 pm

There was mention in another thread about raising the cost of membership to the DFCSG. This set me thinking more generally about the future for football clubs.

1. Inflation is rising faster than wages
2. Petrol/ Diesel prices are rocketing mainly owing to War in Ukraine
3. Gas / Electricity prices are going to rocket.

It is clearer that most people are going to be far worse off over the foreseeable future.

how do you see this affecting football clubs at this level?

Potential Negatives
Those who currently pay to watch football at this level may find this cost is too much to buy a season ticket, or to pay to attend as often on a match by match basis

Away teams may bring less fans, as the cost of travel rockets, thus reducing gate money

People who still attend may choose to buy less food/ drink / programmes etc if they are feeling the crunch

Boost the Budget - as it launches in the close season, after gas / electricity prices have risen, people may feel less able to contribute or contribute as much . Alternatively for bankrolled clubs, owners may have less funds available to bankroll them

Commercial income - if economy is struggling, there will be less sponsorship monies around for clubs to get

Operating costs will rise - with increased gas / electricity costs & big increases in travel costs for clubs

Potential Positive

If people have less money to spend, they are likely to cut back on leisure spending. This may mean for example that people can no longer afford to buy season tickets watch the "bigger " clubs eg Newcastle Sunderland, Boro , Leeds etc, and / or afford to travel to their games. There must be an opportunity for clubs at this level to attract some of these fans who still want a football fix and are attracted by cheaper football

Overall, I see the next season or two being much harder for clubs at this sort of level

loan_star

Re: UK Financial Crisis

Post by loan_star » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:34 pm

Everyone is going to suffer. Especially those whose business relies on broker rates from utility companies to make their money, naming no names :think: :shh:
All the major utility companies have pulled broker rates so now those who relied on them are having to find another source of income.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:36 pm

whoever thought of the pay monthly season card at Darlo needs a medal, this could be an excellent marketing ploy after the season has started.

is it feasible to run BTB for longer to attract more donations if anybody is struggling?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:47 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:36 pm
whoever thought of the pay monthly season card at Darlo needs a medal, this could be an excellent marketing ploy after the season has started.

is it feasible to run BTB for longer to attract more donations if anybody is struggling?
The pay monthly ticket is something they were talking about on a recent Price of Football Podcast. I think Wycombe Wanderers were the example they used

Think clubs have missed a trick and should have launched early bird season tickets now to get people to pay up before gas / electricty price hikes hit in April.

Think from April, people will be wary of spending "larger" sums on leisure activities

I wonder also how it will affect players wages. Especially those who don't have other jobs and are looking for new deals this summer. I suspect clubs may have to offer lower wages

Its not a pleasant future in short term
Last edited by spen666 on Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:48 pm

spen666 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:22 pm
If people have less money to spend, they are likely to cut back on leisure spending. This may mean for example that people can no longer afford to buy season tickets watch the "bigger " clubs eg Newcastle Sunderland, Boro , Leeds etc, and / or afford to travel to their games. There must be an opportunity for clubs at this level to attract some of these fans who still want a football fix and are attracted by cheaper football
I don't think this will happen. If you can't afford to see your team then you probably won't go, or cut down by not getting a season ticket and going to the random odd game.

For instance, I can't see many Darlo fans not affording £14 then choosing to go and watch Bishop Auckland or similar. I reckon they would choose instead to watch every other home game and not take in the away games. With the price of fuel, away games are getting pricey.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:50 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:48 pm
spen666 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:22 pm
I don't think this will happen. If you can't afford to see your team then you probably won't go, or cut down by not getting a season ticket and going to the random odd game.

For instance, I can't see many Darlo fans not affording £14 then choosing to go and watch Bishop Auckland or similar. I reckon they would choose instead to watch every other home game and not take in the away games. With the price of fuel, away games are getting pricey.
I was thinking of say Newcastle / Sunderland fans who live in Darlington going to Darlington instead.

A Darlington fan in Darlington is not going to travel to a different town. If they went somewhere else it would more likely be to watch say RA if at all

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:39 pm

loan_star wrote:Everyone is going to suffer. Especially those whose business relies on broker rates from utility companies to make their money, naming no names :think: :shh:
All the major utility companies have pulled broker rates so now those who relied on them are having to find another source of income.
Not everyone. Not the millionaire's who fund the Tory party to whom these increasing costs are insignificant.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:32 pm

Spyman wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:39 pm
loan_star wrote:Everyone is going to suffer. Especially those whose business relies on broker rates from utility companies to make their money, naming no names :think: :shh:
Not everyone. Not the millionaire's who fund the Tory party to whom these increasing costs are insignificant.

Tbf they are being hammered by their assets being frozen

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:39 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:32 pm
Spyman wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:39 pm

Tbf they are being hammered by their assets being frozen
:lol:

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:31 pm

Shouldn’t you have started with “inflation and prices shooting up caused by speculating spivs and a shameless Tory government looking after their benefactors”

Do not fall for the line about the war in Ukraine causing our inflation or price rises.

A lot of this was planned well before, as Richard Madeley said on GMTV the other morning, “it all kicking off”.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:47 pm

dont forget a Darlo season ticket next season will consist of 23 games rather than 21 due to league getting extended so that will trigger an increase in ST prices.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:31 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:dont forget a Darlo season ticket next season will consist of 23 games rather than 21 due to league getting extended so that will trigger an increase in ST prices.
And just to add to that, the league expansion also means there’ll be more long away trips too(adding to travel costs for the fans and the club alike).

Presuming we’re National League North next season, Banbury look nailed on to come up, plus one other Midlands/Cambridgeshire/Northamptonshire side too.

And King’s Lynn look pretty likely to come back down, while we could lose some of our shorter trips should Gateshead (and/or York) go up and Farsley/Guiseley go down.

In terms of travel, Brackley going up and Telford going down would probably be best from our point of view.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:47 pm

The big picture for DFC is that we run by sensible people to a sustainable model :thumbup: We're not millions in debt and we're not indebted to any dodgy so called business men.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:00 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:31 pm
bigdavethemaddog wrote:dont forget a Darlo season ticket next season will consist of 23 games rather than 21 due to league getting extended so that will trigger an increase in ST prices.
And just to add to that, the league expansion also means there’ll be more long away trips too(adding to travel costs for the fans and the club alike).

Presuming we’re National League North next season, Banbury look nailed on to come up, plus one other Midlands/Cambridgeshire/Northamptonshire side too.

And King’s Lynn look pretty likely to come back down, while we could lose some of our shorter trips should Gateshead (and/or York) go up and Farsley/Guiseley go down.

In terms of travel, Brackley going up and Telford going down would probably be best from our point of view.
This is current projections for next season - based on FA promotion rules, currewnt league positions etc. Based on top side in play off places getting promoted - ie at present South Shields would come up if win play offs.

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/foru ... ost-135586 and click on the workings link, then the tabs showing current projections for next season

A.F.C. Fylde NLN
A.F.C. Telford United NLN
Alfreton Town NLN
Blyth Spartans NLN
Boston United NLN
Bradford (Park Avenue) NLN
Chester NLN
Chorley NLN
Curzon Ashton NLN
Darlington NLN
Gloucester City NLN
Guiseley NLN
Hereford NLN
Kettering Town NLN
Kidderminster Harriers NLN
Leamington NLN
Southport NLN
Spennymoor Town NLN
York City NLN
King's Lynn Town NLP
Matlock Town NPP
South Shields NPP
Banbury United SPC
Coalville Town SPC

Pretty much what you said

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:31 pm

Kidderminster up with Brackley would be best bet

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:13 pm

I think BTB will be difficult this year and I think that some of our fans that take in most away games, will be more selective in which away games they attend. i also think that some of our ST home supporters will not renew and choose which home games they attend. We can be sure that tough times are ahead.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:16 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:13 pm
I think BTB will be difficult this year and I think that some of our fans that take in most away games, will be more selective in which away games they attend. i also think that some of our ST home supporters will not renew and choose which home games they attend. We can be sure that tough times are ahead.
Do you think that any UK Financial crisis would only impact on Darlington FC? It would be a across the board. One advantage Darlington FC would have is that, as far as I'm aware, none of our players contracts extend beyond this season. Whereas clubs further up the pyramid have players on 2/3/4 and even 5 year contracts.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:33 pm

I think in general you will see a thinning and shrinkage of the football pyramid. Some at the top will struggle with maintaining direct investment (relating to the current overseas crisis e.g. Chelsea), which then filters down through the pyramid as living costs rise, again through the current overseas crisis. It's going to affect nearly every club.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:52 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:33 pm
I think in general you will see a thinning and shrinkage of the football pyramid. Some at the top will struggle with maintaining direct investment (relating to the current overseas crisis e.g. Chelsea), which then filters down through the pyramid as living costs rise, again through the current overseas crisis. It's going to affect nearly every club.
You may well be right, but I think we thought the same sort of thing with Covid, and it doesn’t seem to have had a massive impact on players wages and finance within the game. Player’s wages, especially at the elite level are still very high and the pyramid remains largely unchanged.
Costs for everyone are going to rise, and clubs are going to have to be aware of that. In our case we already have a stringent financial management system in place and astute people in charge who will steer the club through these difficult times. If it provides a reality check for some overspending clubs, that may not be a bad thing.