Building for Season 2022/23

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Old Git » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:52 am

Realistically we would probably need to win 8 of our last 10 games to make the playoffs, so it looks unlikely. Similarly, we are 15 points off the bottom so relegation can be ruled out. Looks like our main focus now is to concentrate on building for next season.
I think it is possible we could see a very quiet close season with very few comings and goings, which might not be a bad thing if we can find some continuity and consistency. I am assuming that Brandon Taylor and Lexus Beedon will be released given that we currently have 4 other central defenders at the club and they have not figured since the start of the season. Possibly Joe Wheatley may be allowed to leave to find a new challenge somewhere else, which maybe he needs after 6 years with the club.
We have 2 completely untried youngsters in goalkeeper Martin and full back Joey Hope. I know they have had spells out on loan but maybe we could give them some game time to see if they are developing into potential squad members for next season. I am also hoping that loanees Danny Rose and Tyrone O’Neill are released by their clubs and would join us permanently next season. With that in mind I think you can draw up a potential 20 man squad for next season without the new for additional signings.

Goalkeepers
Taylor Martin

Full Backs
Hedley Griffiths Smith Hope

Central Defenders
Lawlor Wheater Storey Ellis

Central Midfielders
Hatfield Purver Rose Moke

Wide Midfields/Wingers
KDS Rivers Lambert

Strikers
Mondal Cassidy O’Neill.

Of course Armstrong will be on the lookout for players he thinks can make us stronger and some of the above may move on but at the very least I think there is the basis of a reasonably strong and experienced squad that should be competitive.

CrazyDarlo

Re: Building for Season 2022/23

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:10 am

Wheatley must be kept at all costs. He’s had a difficult season and there are circumstances for that but he’s been exceptional in the years before that and he’s one of the very few good young players we have. If Moke, a 32 year old has been brought in as a replacement I’ll be very disappointed.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:16 am

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:10 am
Wheatley must be kept at all costs. He’s had a difficult season and there are circumstances for that but he’s been exceptional in the years before that and he’s one of the very few good young players we have. If Moke, a 32 year old has been brought in as a replacement I’ll be very disappointed.
Wheatley will want to move on and nothing the club can do after we took the one year extension last year and his contract is up.

I quite like Joe but it seems he is at the at point where he needs a change to reenergise himself, it happens.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:41 am

CrazyDarlo wrote:Wheatley must be kept at all costs. He’s had a difficult season and there are circumstances for that but he’s been exceptional in the years before that and he’s one of the very few good young players we have. If Moke, a 32 year old has been brought in as a replacement I’ll be very disappointed.
Why are you portraying the fact Moke is 32 as being a negative?

Experience was something we badly lacked earlier in the season. Ellis and Wheater are both older than Moke and have proven they can perform.

Age isn’t the issue, it’s ability. Obviously we don’t want a team made up of too many “older” players. There’s a balance to be struck between youth and experience. But so long as Moke delivers on the pitch I don’t see why being 32 is an issue. Hardly over the hill at that age.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:48 am

Old Git wrote:Realistically we would probably need to win 8 of our last 10 games to make the playoffs, so it looks unlikely. Similarly, we are 15 points off the bottom so relegation can be ruled out. Looks like our main focus now is to concentrate on building for next season.
I think it is possible we could see a very quiet close season with very few comings and goings, which might not be a bad thing if we can find some continuity and consistency. I am assuming that Brandon Taylor and Lexus Beedon will be released given that we currently have 4 other central defenders at the club and they have not figured since the start of the season. Possibly Joe Wheatley may be allowed to leave to find a new challenge somewhere else, which maybe he needs after 6 years with the club.
We have 2 completely untried youngsters in goalkeeper Martin and full back Joey Hope. I know they have had spells out on loan but maybe we could give them some game time to see if they are developing into potential squad members for next season. I am also hoping that loanees Danny Rose and Tyrone O’Neill are released by their clubs and would join us permanently next season. With that in mind I think you can draw up a potential 20 man squad for next season without the new for additional signings.

Goalkeepers
Taylor Martin

Full Backs

Central Defenders

Central Midfielders

Wide Midfields/Wingers
KDS Rivers Lambert

Strikers
Mondal Cassidy O’Neill.

Of course Armstrong will be on the lookout for players he thinks can make us stronger and some of the above may move on but at the very least I think there is the basis of a reasonably strong and experienced squad that should be competitive.
Pretty reasonable analysis Old Git. Hopefully this summer is just about adding a couple of quality players rather than wholesale change like last year.

For me we need one quality striker. Someone to fill the Charman gap, which is clearly easier said than done. But the forward area is somewhere we definitely need to strengthen if we’re to reach the top seven next season.

And this is purely a personal opinion, but I do wonder on Rivers and whether we need better to take us up. Yes he works hard etc, but in my opinion we need to see more end product. Across three seasons he’s scored 11 goals. This season he has more yellow cards than goals. Is that good enough to help us be promoted? Let’s be honest and say it’s not.

Some will disagree which is fine. However if we want to go up, we’ll need to be ruthless because it’ll be as competitive as ever next season. And I do just wonder if there’s better out there.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:55 am

Talking of Wheatley I see that he scored yesterday in a 2-1 win at Shildon, the other Marske goal coming from ex-Darlington player Kevin Burgess.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:55 am

Darlogramps wrote:
CrazyDarlo wrote:Wheatley must be kept at all costs. He’s had a difficult season and there are circumstances for that but he’s been exceptional in the years before that and he’s one of the very few good young players we have. If Moke, a 32 year old has been brought in as a replacement I’ll be very disappointed.

Experience was something we badly lacked earlier in the season. Ellis and Wheater are both older than Moke and have proven they can perform.

Age isn’t the issue, it’s ability. Obviously we don’t want a team made up of too many “older” players. There’s a balance to be struck between youth and experience. But so long as Moke delivers on the pitch I don’t see why being 32 is an issue. Hardly over the hill at that age.
Totally agree with Gramps on this one, always been impressed with Moke both at York and Spenny, no way is it an issue when a player reaches 32, as long as the ability and fitness are there.Looks like he will play on Tuesday so looking forward to see how he fits into our system.AA indicated he would be making some changes and wouldn't surprise me if Smith returns to LB and possibly Cassidy, seeing as we can expect an aerial bombardment from Southport.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:57 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:48 am
Old Git wrote:Realistically we would probably need to win 8 of our last 10 games to make the playoffs, so it looks unlikely. Similarly, we are 15 points off the bottom so relegation can be ruled out. Looks like our main focus now is to concentrate on building for next season.

Goalkeepers
Taylor Martin

Full Backs

Central Defenders

Central Midfielders

Wide Midfields/Wingers
KDS Rivers Lambert

Strikers
Mondal Cassidy O’Neill.

Pretty reasonable analysis Old Git. Hopefully this summer is just about adding a couple of quality players rather than wholesale change like last year.

For me we need one quality striker. Someone to fill the Charman gap, which is clearly easier said than done. But the forward area is somewhere we definitely need to strengthen if we’re to reach the top seven next season.

And this is purely a personal opinion, but I do wonder on Rivers and whether we need better to take us up. Yes he works hard etc, but in my opinion we need to see more end product. Across three seasons he’s scored 11 goals. This season he has more yellow cards than goals. Is that good enough to help us be promoted? Let’s be honest and say it’s not.

Some will disagree which is fine. However if we want to go up, we’ll need to be ruthless because it’ll be as competitive as ever next season. And I do just wonder if there’s better out there.
I’d love to see how many assists Rivers has over the last couple of seasons ?

Personally I would like a left footed winger such as Joe Leesley or Brendan Daniels- proven at our level

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:14 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:48 am

Goalkeepers
Taylor Martin

Full Backs

Central Defenders

Central Midfielders

Wide Midfields/Wingers
KDS Rivers Lambert

Strikers
Mondal Cassidy O’Neill.

Got to agree with the comment about Rivers. I think he works hard and certainly gets a bit of extra mileage due to a long association with AA, but there have been a number of questions raised on this forum as to how he gets preference over others who seem to offer more threat going forwards. If he could show a bit more directness and goalscoring ability in the next 10 games I think he is still in, but a continuation of his present form may lead to the conclusion you have reached, that we could do a whole lot better.

And looking at the need for a Charman replacement, it does seem that Thompson has impressed since his arrival. Not the goalscoring machine that Charman became, but Charman himself had a fairly hit and miss first season, so there could certainly be something there for AA to work with.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:28 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:41 am

I don’t think Moke being 32 is an issue itself however like you said it’s a balance between experience and youth, I personally don’t believe we have the right balance with the current squad. A big part of our model being fan owned should be to sell on young players as we have done with Charman, Saunders etc. How many players in the current squad have the potential to provide us with that income?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:36 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I don’t think Moke being 32 is an issue itself however like you said it’s a balance between experience and youth, I personally don’t believe we have the right balance with the current squad. A big part of our model being fan owned should be to sell on young players as we have done with Charman, Saunders etc. How many players in the current squad have the potential to provide us with that income?
Jack Lambert and Kevin Dos Santos for definite.

I think you can make a case for Tommy Taylor too - 29 isn’t old for a keeper and he’s been class this season.

George Smith is 25 so a decent season or two could see him attracting interest. I know he’s currently on loan but O’Neill is that type of player, and we’ll see whether in the summer anything happens with him.

So there’s five there.

To be honest, it’s a fair point you raise, although surely we’d regard a player sale like that as a bonus rather than part of the business model. Banking on selling off key assets each season would be at best risky. But I think you’re right in that you can very easily build a squad that is, collectively, too old.

At the moment we’re going at about one a season: 2019: Harvey Saunders, 2020: Justin Donowa, 2021: Erico Sousa (albeit frustratingly we got nothing for him, but developed him to be picked up at a higher level), 2022: Charman.

I’d say Lambert is most likely to be next off the production line. But if KDS can be a little more consistent, there’s no reason he couldn’t do the same.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:08 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:36 pm
CrazyDarlo wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Jack Lambert and Kevin Dos Santos for definite.

I think you can make a case for Tommy Taylor too - 29 isn’t old for a keeper and he’s been class this season.

George Smith is 25 so a decent season or two could see him attracting interest. I know he’s currently on loan but O’Neill is that type of player, and we’ll see whether in the summer anything happens with him.

So there’s five there.

To be honest, it’s a fair point you raise, although surely we’d regard a player sale like that as a bonus rather than part of the business model. Banking on selling off key assets each season would be at best risky.

At the moment we’re going at about one a season: 2019: Harvey Saunders, 2020: Justin Donowa, 2021: Erico Sousa (albeit frustratingly we got nothing for him, but developed him to be picked up at a higher level), 2022: Charman.

I’d say Lambert is most likely to be next off the production line. But if KDS can be a little more consistent, there’s no reason he couldn’t do the same.
I can see KDS being huge for us next season , a solid pre-season will do him the world of good

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:55 pm

I think we should be getting contracts sorted for next season now, T Taylor, all of the defenders and midfielders, lambert, KDS Mondal and Rivers too but wouldn’t be the end of the world if he went.

Regarding signings for me we obviously need to be looking at a striker or maybe even 2, would be happy if we kept O’Neill and Thompson as he’s been really impressive in the games he’s played, others we could look at could be:

Aaron Martin
Jacob Hazel
Diego De Girolomo
Adam Wilson
Alex Reid

I do think we need another winger too, Kevin Hayes or Jack Foalle would be good.

Obviously I imagine we’re gonna wait until retained lists are out but

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:59 am

I am doubtful Connor Thompson will be an option for next season. If he is released by Barnsley I would have thought it likely he would be picked up at League 2 or NL level. Also he is originally from London so I would imagine he is more likely to head south where there are likely to be clubs interested in him.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:49 am

Old Git wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:59 am
I am doubtful Connor Thompson will be an option for next season. If he is released by Barnsley I would have thought it likely he would be picked up at League 2 or NL level. Also he is originally from London so I would imagine he is more likely to head south where there are likely to be clubs interested in him.
I would agree, he seems a good player with a good attitude but I can't see him rocking up at Darlo next season. Tyrone?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:07 am

The strikers are the key signings this summer for sure and could make the difference to next season.
The nucleus of defence and midfield is there even if we don’t get lawlor and Rose back. Having said that there is often a few surprise departures so let’s wait and see. Still think a hard tackling holding midfielder is needed if Wheatley go’s too.
For me, being ruthless, don’t think either of Oneill and Mondal are the answer if we seriously want to try and challenge the play offs so would rather try for two new forwards. Who they are, well that’s over to AA and the budget. Maybe someone with a track record and a punt on a released youngster again.
At least we have a base to build on this year and don’t need wholesale changes.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:18 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:07 am
The strikers are the key signings this summer for sure and could make the difference to next season.
The nucleus of defence and midfield is there even if we don’t get lawlor and Rose back. Having said that there is often a few surprise departures so let’s wait and see. Still think a hard tackling holding midfielder is needed if Wheatley go’s too.
For me, being ruthless, don’t think either of Oneill and Mondal are the answer if we seriously want to try and challenge the play offs so would rather try for two new forwards. Who they are, well that’s over to AA and the budget. Maybe someone with a track record and a punt on a released youngster again.
At least we have a base to build on this year and don’t need wholesale changes.
I largely agree with your comments about bringing in the right strikers for next season. Personally I would like to see Mondal given an extended run in the team for the rest of the season. If AA thinks Tyrone might join us next season then given them a chance to form a partnership and see how they get on. We very much know what Cassidy is all about and to be honest if Mondal is fit I would just use Thompson as a substitute. I think he is a good prospect, but unless he is likely to here next season, I would prefer to use players who will be.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:25 am

I would keep Taylor, Hedley, Smith, Wheater, Ellis, Rose, Hatfield, KDS, Lambert, Mondal , Moke (don't know); like to keep Wheatley and Storey but believe lack of play even when been reasonable in the team they will eventually move on.
Lawlor, Thompson and Oneil good signings but can we afford them do they want to play for a mid table team ? Let go loanees BT and LB also Martin, Griffiths, Rivers, Cassidy , Purver. Hopefully not wait until September to realise EX FL players are not coming.

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:45 pm

Is Rivers not top of assists this season, was top last season, and second only to Campbell the season before that? Really don't get the antipathy towards him.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:59 pm

My only gripe with Jarrett is he takes one touch to much, tries to beat one man to many, when a simple pass would suffice, 110 % every game he plays effort not in question just one to many of the others,

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:10 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:25 am
I would keep Taylor, Hedley, Smith, Wheater, Ellis, Rose, Hatfield, KDS, Lambert, Mondal , Moke (don't know); like to keep Wheatley and Storey but believe lack of play even when been reasonable in the team they will eventually move on.
Lawlor, Thompson and Oneil good signings but can we afford them do they want to play for a mid table team ? Let go loanees BT and LB also Martin, Griffiths, Rivers, Cassidy , Purver. Hopefully not wait until September to realise EX FL players are not coming.
Release both Griffiths and Cassidy?

I would keep both. Cassidy is not going to score 30 goals a season but he brings a different dimension to the team when our tippy-tappy stuff doesn't work. Sadly it doesn't seem to get noticed by many.

We offered little up front on Saturday with O'Neill and Thompson in terms of creating chances. That changed when Armstrong brought Cassidy on.

I would also keep Storey but judging from his comments earlier in the season, I don't think Armstrong wants him.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:47 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:25 am
Alex Purver has been underrated by Darlington fans imo. He was our best player in recent games against Fylde and Blyth.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:23 pm

For me it would be:

Sign up: T. Taylor, Hedley, Wheater, Lawlor, Storey, Purver, Hatfield, Wheatley, Dos Santos, Rivers, Lambert, Martin, Hope

Sign if available: O'Neill, Rose.

Unsure: Griffiths, Smith, Moke, Mondal

Release: B. Taylor, Beeden, Cassidy, Ellis

Key positions for the summer:
CF - We need to replace Charman with similar striker, by similar I mean someone tall enough to be a physical presence but mobile enough to work the channels more than we have, drag CBs out into uncomfortable positions. Obviously the most difficult of challenges because every team is looking for a player like that. But we did it with Charman and hopefully AA can do it again.

Pacey left footed winger - I think we have a good mix of wide options between Rivers, Dos Santos and Lambert but think one thing we are missing is someone who is capable of going around the outside of their man on the left and cutting the ball back from the line. Most of our play on that side means we have to come back inside as we don't have a natural left footer.

Depending on Griffiths and Smith then two full backs. I think both have had frustrating seasons injury wise as both have had time out and needed to play themselves back into form. Although Hedley seems to have used this to his advantage, been his best year in a Darlo shirt.