Darlington v Southport

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Southport

Post by JE93 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:13 pm

For me there's no question Cassidy works hard. Every time I've seen him this season he's put himself around to cause a nuisance for defenders etc. My main criticism has been his goal return, last nights goal took him to 5 in the league for the season (his first since November) and he's probably played around 24-25 games this season, O'Neill joined at the end of January and already has 3. Cassidy missed guilt edged chances against Kettering (H) and Gloucester (A) and perhaps to a lesser extent Guiseley (A) that you'd really want your first choice or back up CF to be taking, those goals all came when scores were level and would have given us the chance to win those games. I atleast feel with O'Neill that when the ball comes to him in the box there is a decent chance of him taking the opportunity.

Id love for Cassidy to prove me wrong and use the last 9 games of the season to up his numbers. But if he doesn't and he finishes on 7 or 8 goals for the season I'll probably wonder if we can't do slightly better looking for a target man in the summer.

On the topic of the thread though. Great win last night, much needed following the Hatfield news earlier in the afternoon. Good to see all players coming into the team play well and us get a clean sheet. Another tough game coming on Saturday hopefully the lads will be well backed at BM and we can get another good result.

Darlogramps

Darlington v Southport

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:39 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
en passant wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:14 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:19 am
Really enjoyed that performance tonight. Deserved a victory and should have won by a wider margin.

Cassidy was excellent in my opinion. Well taken goal and a handful for their defenders throughout. Exactly the type of performance we were missing when they thumped us at their place.

Looking at the results tonight, from 4th down to 15th in the table, only us and Boston won tonight. Was a similar story on Saturday too (albeit without us winning). There’s not much margin for error, but a consistent run between now and May could genuinely see us sneak it.

Saturday is huge and I’d guess we probably need at least 20 points from the last nine games to snatch a play-off place. Beat Boston and there’ll be plenty of belief we can do it.
Yes, still points to play for and the chance of getting into the top seven is still there. After such a commanding performance last night (albeit without a glut of goals) you can see that the team is capable of getting the points required. As you say, to do that it would probably need us to drop no more than 7 points in 9 games. In the last 8 games we have dropped 7, so maintaining that form would just about do. The 4 remaining home games all need to be wins. There are two very tough away games at Gateshead and Kiddy that may well be too much to get something from, which means getting three wins from the other away games.
It can happen but that is pretty much the size of the task. AA has been here before and has gone on such a run that would more than do it. But we do need the rub of the green, no more dodgy ref decisions, and rather better finishing than we had last night.
One game at a time, starting Saturday with a win and we can still dream.
Agree Cassidy was good but been missing most of this year and his mobility on the ground limited reminds me of Ainge ball needs to be within 1m or he ain't bothering . We are not going into the playoffs 12 wins in 32 and suddenly 7-8 wins in last 10 not going to happen but let us finish on a high providing further positivity for the BTB and season ticket sales possibly ;inked to naming a potential new ground site.
You talk crap fella. Comparing him to Ainge? You’re utterly clueless ImageImage

You’ve clearly got something against Cassidy given you’re always slagging him off.

Also, why have the brainless dingbats among our fanbase started parroting the X wins in XX matches? I’ve seen it all season and it’s utterly meaningless without any context. We never saw it when TW had an even worse record. The dingbats think they’re being clever but at best they’re being stupid, at worst they’re trying to deceive people.

Football doesn’t work in linear form. Just because you have X points from your previous Y matches doesn’t mean it’ll follow like that in the next few matches. Results and performances fluctuate depending on different factors.

So saying 12 from 32 is utterly meaningless if you’re not going to add any context. We’ve lost one in eight and look stronger than ever.

We’re 10th in the table, four points off the play-offs. Go on a good run in our last nine matches and we can sneak it.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:42 pm

I like Cassidy. He works tirelessly, he's always on the move, he can place a pass and he adds a bit of steel to our team too. Unfortunately he's not a goal machine but he has other strings to his bow.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:55 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:38 pm
It's not always worked out for Cassidy, but I think it's nonsense to compare him to Ainge or suggest the "ball needs to be within 1m or he ain't bothering"
Cassidy can be decent on his day, he doesn't have enough days to be honest. However I think he needs support in and around him, last night we had players breaking the lines with Thompson, Dos Santos, Lambert and Moke which worked well.

Goals have been hard to come by for him and as a striker that will always be the main thing looked at, he always puts a shift in though, but doesn't worry the opposition enough.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:28 pm

The one last night where he decided to go infield with the ball instead of straight towards goal really annoyed me as he was one on one with the keeper

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:05 pm

The fact that Tommy Taylor was MOTM speaks volumes & well deserved with 3 or 4 class saves to keep the clean sheet. Obviously missed Hatfield & Wheater but everyone put in a good shift. Lots of possession given away too easily, but it was a makeshift team with Moke debut, Thompson's full game so took a bit of time to build relationships, primarily Cassidy who knocked balls into spaces which nobody in a white shirt had anticipated. May have been a different result if their early shot which hit the bar & bounced down had gone in. That was a turning point & we went on to take all 3 points, in all a gutsy display. More games like this could take us into the playoffs, but that is only a distant prospect

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:16 pm

jjljks wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:05 pm
The fact that Tommy Taylor was MOTM speaks volumes & well deserved with 3 or 4 class saves to keep the clean sheet. Obviously missed Hatfield & Wheater but everyone put in a good shift. Lots of possession given away too easily, but it was a makeshift team with Moke debut, Thompson's full game so took a bit of time to build relationships, primarily Cassidy who knocked balls into spaces which nobody in a white shirt had anticipated. May have been a different result if their early shot which hit the bar & bounced down had gone in. That was a turning point & we went on to take all 3 points, in all a gutsy display. More games like this could take us into the playoffs, but that is only a distant prospect
I really didn't see the same game as you. I saw a very good save from TT and some routine ones. Not knocking Tommy here, but the way you describe it is if they had loads of chances. I didn't think we missed Hatfield or Wheater last night at all (that's not to say we wouldn't miss them over the course of a season). I don't remember us giving it away much either.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:40 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:16 pm
jjljks wrote:
I really didn't see the same game as you. I saw a very good save from TT and some routine ones. Not knocking Tommy here, but the way you describe it is if they had loads of chances. I didn't think we missed Hatfield or Wheater last night at all (that's not to say we wouldn't miss them over the course of a season). I don't remember us giving it away much either.
I was stood behind TT’s goal throughout the second half and some of these “routine” saves were tricky. I thought TT was quite busy last night.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:16 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
D_F_C wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:16 pm
jjljks wrote:
I was stood behind TT’s goal throughout the second half and some of these “routine” saves were tricky. I thought TT was quite busy last night.
For someone of TT’s quality I’d expect him to save them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:26 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:15 am
MB86DFC wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:11 am
al_quaker wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:59 am
Old Git wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:37 am
No idea what he was referring to with regards his comment about us cheating a little bit.
Probably the two penalty incidents which both looked a bit questionable to me

Anyway, a really good performance last night - one of our best all season. The only downside would be only taking one of the plethora of chances we created. Everyone played well, but special mention to Lawlor, who had his best game for us yet I think, and Moke who was excellent on debut.

Pretty big game on Saturday now - still a long shot to make the playoffs from here, but a win against Boston moves us right behind them, which would make the long shot look a bit more doable if we can get 3 points on Saturday
The video footage may prove me wrong, but the first looked very much like a penalty. Their goal keeper seemed to say as much to the fans behind the goal.

Maybe their manager was referring to Tommy’s tactical time wasting, which he certainly pushed to its limits.
It could well be that they should both have been penalties, but both times it looks like our players went down quite easily, so I can see why that might wind up an opposition manager on one glance. And yes - same with Taylor, who certainly seems to like getting involved :lol:
It has proven me wrong, Moke’s wasn’t a penalty but I think the one we got was fair as the shirt pull held dos Santos back.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:04 pm

I was saying shortly before we scored if this was our last home game of the season I'd have been pleased!

As it was it turned out to be an entertaining game, especially in the second half we were excellent and you wouldn't have known which team was in the play off places we were taking them apart at times and in the end 1-0 flattered them. Although I have to admit I feared the worse after KDS's dreadful penalty I knew as soon as he took his run up it was going to be saved, thankfully though(with a little help from Tommy Taylor at the other end) it didn't come back to bite us on the backside.

Another tough one on Saturday against Boston I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be confident having won our last four at home and we face another side who haven't had much joy at Blackwell Meadows over the last few years, I just wish we'd started this run a little sooner!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:07 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:39 pm
eddie-rowles wrote:
en passant wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:14 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:19 am
Really enjoyed that performance tonight. Deserved a victory and should have won by a wider margin.

Cassidy was excellent in my opinion. Well taken goal and a handful for their defenders throughout. Exactly the type of performance we were missing when they thumped us at their place.

Looking at the results tonight, from 4th down to 15th in the table, only us and Boston won tonight. Was a similar story on Saturday too (albeit without us winning). There’s not much margin for error, but a consistent run between now and May could genuinely see us sneak it.

Saturday is huge and I’d guess we probably need at least 20 points from the last nine games to snatch a play-off place. Beat Boston and there’ll be plenty of belief we can do it.
Yes, still points to play for and the chance of getting into the top seven is still there. After such a commanding performance last night (albeit without a glut of goals) you can see that the team is capable of getting the points required. As you say, to do that it would probably need us to drop no more than 7 points in 9 games. In the last 8 games we have dropped 7, so maintaining that form would just about do. The 4 remaining home games all need to be wins. There are two very tough away games at Gateshead and Kiddy that may well be too much to get something from, which means getting three wins from the other away games.
It can happen but that is pretty much the size of the task. AA has been here before and has gone on such a run that would more than do it. But we do need the rub of the green, no more dodgy ref decisions, and rather better finishing than we had last night.
One game at a time, starting Saturday with a win and we can still dream.
Agree Cassidy was good but been missing most of this year and his mobility on the ground limited reminds me of Ainge ball needs to be within 1m or he ain't bothering . We are not going into the playoffs 12 wins in 32 and suddenly 7-8 wins in last 10 not going to happen but let us finish on a high providing further positivity for the BTB and season ticket sales possibly ;inked to naming a potential new ground site.
You talk crap fella. Comparing him to Ainge? You’re utterly clueless ImageImage

You’ve clearly got something against Cassidy given you’re always slagging him off.

Also, why have the brainless dingbats among our fanbase started parroting the X wins in XX matches? I’ve seen it all season and it’s utterly meaningless without any context. We never saw it when TW had an even worse record. The dingbats think they’re being clever but at best they’re being stupid, at worst they’re trying to deceive people.

Football doesn’t work in linear form. Just because you have X points from your previous Y matches doesn’t mean it’ll follow like that in the next few matches. Results and performances fluctuate depending on different factors.

So saying 12 from 32 is utterly meaningless if you’re not going to add any context. We’ve lost one in eight and look stronger than ever.

We’re 10th in the table, four points off the play-offs. Go on a good run in our last nine matches and we can sneak it.
Clearly got something against Cassidy where has that come from? as for brainless dingbats have a look at some of your rants that go on and on for weeks.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:44 pm

There must be a law that says all threads will eventually end up with a Darlogramps rant.

Darlogramps

Darlington v Southport

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:37 pm

eddie-rowles wrote: Clearly got something against Cassidy where has that come from?
You repeatedly slag him off, criticise him, say you would release him and now make up rubbish about him being like Ainge. That’s where it comes from. I’m happy to point out all your posts where you’ve done so.
eddie-rowles wrote: as for brainless dingbats have a look at some of your rants that go on and on for weeks.
Sorry that’s a poor comeback that doesn’t make any sense. Firstly, I don’t rant and they don’t go on for weeks. I argue back at people like you who seem to think you can post any old nonsense without anyone pulling you up on it. When I challenge people like you on your opinions, you don’t like it (as proven with your personal insult of a reply which is a weak, deflection tactic at best).

So, let’s get back to the crux of the matter. You’ve attempted to mislead people by posting a statistic out of context. I’ve seen quite a few people do it across social media so I’m calling you out on it. If you’re going to post stats, at least let them have the proper context so they have more relevance and credibility.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Darlogramps

Darlington v Southport

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:41 pm

Yarblockos wrote:There must be a law that says all threads will eventually end up with a Darlogramps rant.
And there must be a law that says Yarblockos will refuse to praise the team after they win a match.

You were always straight on here when we lost a couple of games in January, calling for AA’s head. Yet now we’re on a decent run, you’ve gone awfully quiet. Indeed a quick check of your posts shows you’ve not once said anything positive about the team since our good run started.

Why is that I wonder? Surely you’re not so bitter at being wrong about AA, you can’t even bring yourself to praise us after a win?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:13 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:41 pm
Indeed a quick check of your posts shows you’ve not once said anything positive about the team since our good run started.
I think you need to stop trawling through people's posts on an internet forum, for your own good.

Darlogramps

Darlington v Southport

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:04 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Indeed a quick check of your posts shows you’ve not once said anything positive about the team since our good run started.
I think you need to stop trawling through people's posts on an internet forum, for your own good.
There’s nothing wrong with doing a bit of research to get an idea of someone’s opinions. Takes me two minutes to do and it means I can properly expose you for being the tedious hypocrite that you are.

Now, let’s ask the question again. Why is it that when we lose you slag us off within minutes on here, but when we do well, you can’t bring yourself to comment?

Are you secretly hoping we lose because you’d rather be right about AA than see us win matches?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:31 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:04 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
There’s nothing wrong with doing a bit of research to get an idea of someone’s opinions. Takes me two minutes to do and it means I can properly expose you for being the tedious hypocrite that you are.

Now, let’s ask the question again. Why is it that when we lose you slag us off within minutes on here, but when we do well, you can’t bring yourself to comment?

Are you secretly hoping we lose because you’d rather be right about AA than see us win matches?
Who the f**k are you? I post whatever and whevener I like. Not when you demand it.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:55 pm

*grabs the popcorn*

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:04 pm

Given the difficult circumstances leading up to kick-off I feel this was a really heartening performance from the whole team - and a good goal. It said a lot about the real ability Armstrong must have in the dressing room. I'd say the only signing he needs for next season is consistency.

Darlogramps

Darlington v Southport

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:27 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Who the f**k are you? I post whatever and whevener I like. Not when you demand it.
Well that’s rattled you. It’s not about posting when I demand it. I didn’t say that. And I notice you dodged the question like you always do.

I’m just asking the question about why “posting whatever and whenever you like” means you’re straight on here hammering the manager when we lose, but when we do well you slink away and remain silent?

I don’t see what’s so unreasonable about that. You can swear and get aggressive all you like. It’s neither impressive nor intimidating and I’ll keep pushing you on your opinion no matter how much you dodge the questions.

Are you upset that we’re doing well, as it suggests you might have been wrong about the manager? Is that why you stay silent after we get positive results?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:40 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:27 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Well that’s rattled you. It’s not about posting when I demand it. I didn’t say that. And I notice you dodged the question like you always do.

I’m just asking the question about why “posting whatever and whenever you like” means you’re straight on here hammering the manager when we lose, but when we do well you slink away and remain silent?

I don’t see what’s so unreasonable about that. You can swear and get aggressive all you like. It’s neither impressive nor intimidating and I’ll keep pushing you on your opinion no matter how much you dodge the questions.

Are you upset that we’re doing well, as it suggests you might have been wrong about the manager? Is that why you stay silent after we get positive results?
You think you can call someone a tedious hypocrite and then take the moral high ground. You are about as popular in this forum as a fart in a phonebox. No discussion on the team can go more than a few threads before you jump in and start hurling personal abuse. People say things you don't like and you simply you can't cope with it and end up spewing angry rants that derail the thread. You have been told this before and it makes no difference.

I have no intention of engaging with any of your points for the same reason I wouldn't give drink to an alcoholic.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:23 pm

You haven't answered his question though have you. You can think what you want about gramps, but he appears to have a point.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:35 pm

Meanwhile I've been looking at the league table and having a think. We've got 44 points now and will need about 65 to get into 7th place.

This would mean an average points count of 2.3 per game or 7 wins from 9 games, which although possible is a pretty big ask :shock:

Even if the target total is dropped down to 62, that would mean an average of two points per game/6 wins from 9 games, which although possible is still a pretty big ask :)

Now, if we beat Boston on Saturday that is of course a proverbial 6 pointer.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Darlington v Southport

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:07 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:27 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:

You think you can call someone a tedious hypocrite and then take the moral high ground. You are about as popular in this forum as a fart in a phonebox. No discussion on the team can go more than a few threads before you jump in and start hurling personal abuse. People say things you don't like and you simply you can't cope with it and end up spewing angry rants that derail the thread. You have been told this before and it makes no difference.

I have no intention of engaging with any of your points for the same reason I wouldn't give drink to an alcoholic.
It is interesting. You started this squabble by making an unprovoked personal dig at me. I’ve tried to ask you for your opinions on Darlington and you’ve spent every reply throwing personal insults at me. You’re the one de-railing threads, engaging in personal abuse and spewing angry rants, not me.

Don’t get upset at being called a “tedious hypocrite” (which you are) when you spend ALL your time throwing insults around and dodging questions about the club you claim to support.

And as I’ve said, you de-railed this thread by having a pop at me and then hurling insults in every reply. Genuinely, I’ve been trying to engage you on Darlington and you’re more interested in scoring cheap points with petty insults. You see that as the easy way out rather than having to answer on why your kneejerk opinion on Armstrong was wrong. Desperate tactics from a weak, little man.

You’ve no intention of engaging because I’ve hit on the truth. You’d rather we did badly because it would validate your opinion of Armstrong. That’s why you can’t bring yourself to say even a word of praise after one defeat in eight. You’re just too spineless to admit you might have been wrong about him.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:28 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:40 pm
for the same reason I wouldn't give drink to an alcoholic.
Ho'way man, I'm thirsty!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly