Darlington v Southport

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington v Southport

Post by Old Git » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:49 am

A rare night game to look forward to this evening when we entertain our visitors from the north west coast. Can’t remember another midweek home game this season so this a rare treat. Southport still have plenty to play for so we can expect a tough game against what will no doubt be a big strong physical team.
Will be interesting to see how we line up with plenty of selection options or AA including a possible debut for Moke. Difficult to predict the starting XI but it could look a bit like this.

Taylor

Hedley Lawlor. Wheater. Smith

Rose. Hatfield. Moke

De Santos O’Neill. Thompson

Subs.
Ellis. Rivers. Lambert. Cassidy. Mondal.

PierremontQuaker03

Re: Darlington v Southport

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:58 am

I would like to see us going for it tonight :

Taylor

Hedley Lawlor. Wheater. Smith

Hatfield. Moke

Lambert Mondal Thompson Dos Santos
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:48 am

I wonder if we get yellow and blue tonight?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:07 am

I’d go for

Taylor

Hedley
Wheater
Lawlor
Smith

KDS
Hatfield
Rose
Lambert

Cassidy
Thompson

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:45 pm

I think there will be a big change in midfield tonight.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:52 pm

loan_star wrote:I think there will be a big change in midfield tonight.
Really hope this isn’t what I’d heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:00 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:52 pm

Unfortunately it is

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:11 pm

loan_star wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:00 pm
D_F_C wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:52 pm

Unfortunately it is
Fancy letting the less informed of us in on your secrets?

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:21 pm

Hatfield to Fylde

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:29 pm

DavidCurriesMullet wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:21 pm
Hatfield to Fylde
Looks like it's happen - AFC Fylde posting a picture of a Hat on a Field. Makes sense why we have got Moke in now.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:29 pm

Hatfield to Fylde
Christ, I hope not. Seems odd to let Wheatley out on loan if this was coming.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:35 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Hatfield to Fylde
Christ, I hope not. Seems odd to let Wheatley out on loan if this was coming.
Reading Stoddart’s write-up this seems to have come completely out of the blue. Doubt we’d have let Wheatley go had we known this was coming.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:38 pm

You cannot stop a player progressing good luck to him he gave us 110% in every game for us,
Now alun has to use his connections to get loan players in till the end of the season.

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:42 pm

We've got Moke, Purver, Rose, can recall Wheatley, could play Hedley there. I'd save the money for next season to be honest.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:56 pm

Time to try Ben Hedley in midfield and let's see what he can do, similar style to Will, absolutely nothing to lose.He came to us as a midfielder and we have never really given him a chance there.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:40 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:56 pm
Time to try Ben Hedley in midfield and let's see what he can do, similar style to Will, absolutely nothing to lose.He came to us as a midfielder and we have never really given him a chance there.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Yep I wouldn't disagree with giving ben a shot at the midd field anchor man as you say he came originally as a midfielder. Nothing to lose if it doesn't work out after a few games.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:30 pm

Wow what a brilliant end to a difficult day. Full credit to everyone of our players who were brilliant throughout the team. Just about any of them could have been named MoM tonight. Great performance and total commitment to the cause from start to finish.
Only disappointing thing was the lack of goals given the amount of chances we created. Special mention to Jake Cassidy, not just for the goal, but for an outstanding overall performance. He has had his detractors, but he was an absolute nightmare for the Southport defenders tonight.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:06 am

Interesting comments from the Southport manager in regards to the size of the pitch https://youtu.be/n8ldVxX9A1g

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:19 am

Really enjoyed that performance tonight. Deserved a victory and should have won by a wider margin.

Cassidy was excellent in my opinion. Well taken goal and a handful for their defenders throughout. Exactly the type of performance we were missing when they thumped us at their place.

Looking at the results tonight, from 4th down to 15th in the table, only us and Boston won tonight. Was a similar story on Saturday too (albeit without us winning). There’s not much margin for error, but a consistent run between now and May could genuinely see us sneak it.

Saturday is huge and I’d guess we probably need at least 20 points from the last nine games to snatch a play-off place. Beat Boston and there’ll be plenty of belief we can do it.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:22 am

A great game. We outplayed them for most of the match but because we missed so many chances in the second half I was convinced they were going to get a scruffy equaliser.

Some on here write that “the season is over” - in fact one poster said this when Charman left and we had another 17 games to play, but until we mathematically can not make 7th place the season is still ongoing. I’m not saying this is likely or even that it’s a good thing, I’m just saying it’s possible as all it takes is for our present good run of form to continue and for one or two teams above to wobble.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:14 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:19 am
Really enjoyed that performance tonight. Deserved a victory and should have won by a wider margin.

Cassidy was excellent in my opinion. Well taken goal and a handful for their defenders throughout. Exactly the type of performance we were missing when they thumped us at their place.

Looking at the results tonight, from 4th down to 15th in the table, only us and Boston won tonight. Was a similar story on Saturday too (albeit without us winning). There’s not much margin for error, but a consistent run between now and May could genuinely see us sneak it.

Saturday is huge and I’d guess we probably need at least 20 points from the last nine games to snatch a play-off place. Beat Boston and there’ll be plenty of belief we can do it.
Yes, still points to play for and the chance of getting into the top seven is still there. After such a commanding performance last night (albeit without a glut of goals) you can see that the team is capable of getting the points required. As you say, to do that it would probably need us to drop no more than 7 points in 9 games. In the last 8 games we have dropped 7, so maintaining that form would just about do. The 4 remaining home games all need to be wins. There are two very tough away games at Gateshead and Kiddy that may well be too much to get something from, which means getting three wins from the other away games.
It can happen but that is pretty much the size of the task. AA has been here before and has gone on such a run that would more than do it. But we do need the rub of the green, no more dodgy ref decisions, and rather better finishing than we had last night.
One game at a time, starting Saturday with a win and we can still dream.

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:51 am

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:06 am
Interesting comments from the Southport manager in regards to the size of the pitch https://youtu.be/n8ldVxX9A1g
I also notice that he said that our team "did cheat a little bit", which is rather rich considering the way they behaved at the penalty, surrounding KDS, trying to put him off, with one of their players going down holding his face as if he had been hit.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:37 am

Rather strange post match comments from Southport manager Liam Watson. No idea what he was referring to with regards his comment about us cheating a little bit. Think he didn’t like the width of our pitch because it made their long throw tactics less effective.
If we are going to play expansive football with De Santos and Lambert playing out wide it clearly suits our style of play to give them space to operate in. Perhaps it is one of the few advantages of playing on a rugby pitch.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:59 am

Old Git wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:37 am
No idea what he was referring to with regards his comment about us cheating a little bit.
Probably the two penalty incidents which both looked a bit questionable to me

Anyway, a really good performance last night - one of our best all season. The only downside would be only taking one of the plethora of chances we created. Everyone played well, but special mention to Lawlor, who had his best game for us yet I think, and Moke who was excellent on debut.

Pretty big game on Saturday now - still a long shot to make the playoffs from here, but a win against Boston moves us right behind them, which would make the long shot look a bit more doable if we can get 3 points on Saturday

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:11 am

al_quaker wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:59 am
Old Git wrote:
No idea what he was referring to with regards his comment about us cheating a little bit.

Anyway, a really good performance last night - one of our best all season. The only downside would be only taking one of the plethora of chances we created. Everyone played well, but special mention to Lawlor, who had his best game for us yet I think, and Moke who was excellent on debut.

Pretty big game on Saturday now - still a long shot to make the playoffs from here, but a win against Boston moves us right behind them, which would make the long shot look a bit more doable if we can get 3 points on Saturday
The video footage may prove me wrong, but the first looked very much like a penalty. Their goal keeper seemed to say as much to the fans behind the goal.

Maybe their manager was referring to Tommy’s tactical time wasting, which he certainly pushed to its limits.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:15 am

MB86DFC wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:11 am
al_quaker wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:59 am
Old Git wrote:

The video footage may prove me wrong, but the first looked very much like a penalty. Their goal keeper seemed to say as much to the fans behind the goal.

Maybe their manager was referring to Tommy’s tactical time wasting, which he certainly pushed to its limits.
It could well be that they should both have been penalties, but both times it looks like our players went down quite easily, so I can see why that might wind up an opposition manager on one glance. And yes - same with Taylor, who certainly seems to like getting involved :lol:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:03 pm

Taylor did a lot of good work in the second half. Nothing overly spectacular but he had to get in where it hurts on a number of occasions and made numerous difficult claims of the ball during corners and goal mouth scrambles. He didn’t seem make any mistakes during the game and deserved his MOTM.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:22 pm

en passant wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:14 am
Darlogramps wrote:

Yes, still points to play for and the chance of getting into the top seven is still there. After such a commanding performance last night (albeit without a glut of goals) you can see that the team is capable of getting the points required. As you say, to do that it would probably need us to drop no more than 7 points in 9 games. In the last 8 games we have dropped 7, so maintaining that form would just about do. The 4 remaining home games all need to be wins. There are two very tough away games at Gateshead and Kiddy that may well be too much to get something from, which means getting three wins from the other away games.
It can happen but that is pretty much the size of the task. AA has been here before and has gone on such a run that would more than do it. But we do need the rub of the green, no more dodgy ref decisions, and rather better finishing than we had last night.
Agree Cassidy was good but been missing most of this year and his mobility on the ground limited reminds me of Ainge ball needs to be within 1m or he ain't bothering . We are not going into the playoffs 12 wins in 32 and suddenly 7-8 wins in last 10 not going to happen but let us finish on a high providing further positivity for the BTB and season ticket sales possibly ;inked to naming a potential new ground site.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:33 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:22 pm
en passant wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:14 am
Darlogramps wrote:

Agree Cassidy was good but been missing most of this year and his mobility on the ground limited reminds me of Ainge ball needs to be within 1m or he ain't bothering . We are not going into the playoffs 12 wins in 32 and suddenly 7-8 wins in last 10 not going to happen but let us finish on a high providing further positivity for the BTB and season ticket sales possibly ;inked to naming a potential new ground site.
Two good performances from him in successive games. I really don't think he has been missing for most of the year. I just think a lot of his hard work goes unnoticed. We look much more threatening with him in the side - and he likes to have a shot when he gets sight of goal.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:38 pm

It's not always worked out for Cassidy, but I think it's nonsense to compare him to Ainge or suggest the "ball needs to be within 1m or he ain't bothering"