Will Hatfield

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PierremontQuaker03
Team Supported: Darlington

Will Hatfield

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:31 pm

Has gone to Flyde - good luck to him.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

MinistryOfSillyWalks

Re: Will Hatfield

Post by MinistryOfSillyWalks » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:37 pm

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... afc-fylde/

Didn't see that one coming.

Losing our captain and ultimately, one of our best players is a massive loss.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:57 pm

Bit of a surprise to say the least but apparently offered fantastic money and a chance to go back full time. Didn’t think for one minute that he would be tempted away for full time football at his age. Just shows you how much money talks and how little loyalty most players have to clubs these days. I for one won’t be cheering him if he returns to BM next season with Fylde.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:05 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:57 pm
Bit of a surprise to say the least but apparently offered fantastic money and a chance to go back full time. Didn’t think for one minute that he would be tempted away for full time football at his age. Just shows you how much money talks and how little loyalty most players have to clubs these days. I for one won’t be cheering him if he returns to BM next season with Fylde.
What a load of shite. It's massively disappointing for us, but it makes perfect financial sense for any player to earn more money. The country is about to enter double digit inflation causing a massive cost of living crisis, anyone would be foolish not to protect themselves financially at this point.

Hatfield was absolutely superb for us, losing him is as bad as losing Charman. One massive piece of next seasons jigsaw has left and Alun needs to replace if we are going to be top 7 contenders next year. At least we got a few quid in rather than nothing in summer.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:26 pm

Old Git wrote:
So when Vera Lynn released some shite you refused to appreciate some non-shite releases?
I’m more surprised we kept him as long as we did.
Anybody who doesn’t want to improve themselves goes backwards.

You paid £10 a match to watch him. I think you’ve had value for money.

Thanks for all your efforts Will.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:27 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:05 pm
Old Git wrote:
What a load of shite. It's massively disappointing for us, but it makes perfect financial sense for any player to earn more money. The country is about to enter double digit inflation causing a massive cost of living crisis, anyone would be foolish not to protect themselves financially at this point.

Hatfield was absolutely superb for us, losing him is as bad as losing Charman. One massive piece of next seasons jigsaw has left and Alun needs to replace if we are going to be top 7 contenders next year. At least we got a few quid in rather than nothing in summer.

Totally agree with this, he’s 31 in October and will no doubt be his last chance to get back into full time football. I’m absolutely gutted he’s leaving but he has to look after himself especially with the cost of living crisis as you say, he’d be stupid not to do so!

It feels like he’s been with us a lot longer than 2 years. Doubt he’ll read this but all the best Will, my favourite player since we became fan owned (Along with Thommo), never seen the lad give less than 100% and some fantastic goals to look back on. I’d certainly applaud him if he played against us in the future (And boo him when he inevitably scores against us 😂)

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:34 pm

Have just noticed that he signed a contract at Fylde until June 2024. He did right to snap their hand off.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:46 pm

Can’t blame him to be fair. Club with short term ambition and money.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:48 pm

Cannot blame him at all, why wouldn’t he, and to get money when he could have gone in summer anyway, had to be done, no issue.
A big however though is how it just sums up that we are where we are as a club and without some type of outside finance we will just mull along selling our best players and replacing them with less talented, fact. Vicious circle I’m afraid and get that many fans of being fan owned etc like the security of where we are.
Think this one has just brought it home again that without some change, whether that’s a new ground with increased sustainable income or outside investment ( not that they are queuing up) we will just have to lump the situation which I for one would give up tomorrow for an alternative structure.
We are where we are like I said.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:52 pm

TKOA wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:27 pm
MB86DFC wrote:
Old Git wrote:

Totally agree with this, he’s 31 in October and will no doubt be his last chance to get back into full time football. I’m absolutely gutted he’s leaving but he has to look after himself especially with the cost of living crisis as you say, he’d be stupid not to do so!

It feels like he’s been with us a lot longer than 2 years. Doubt he’ll read this but all the best Will, my favourite player since we became fan owned (Along with Thommo), never seen the lad give less than 100% and some fantastic goals to look back on. I’d certainly applaud him if he played against us in the future (And boo him when he inevitably scores against us 😂)
Perhaps not if he takes a penalty!
I am as disappointed as everyone else, especially as at 30 years old I thought he would not be tempted away to a full time club. I understand the financial lure must be difficult to resist. I am just saying there is no loyalty in football. Perhaps I am very naïve and old fashioned, but there is no doubt that supporters are the only loyal people in football.
I am not a fan of manufactured clubs like Fylde, so I won’t be hoping they get promoted. We need them in our league next season, as we can hopefully take another 6 points off the wankers.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:54 pm

Probably a bigger loss to us than Charman was but given their offer, can't blame him for accepting one last chance at full time & more dosh. He probably has played some of his best games for us earlier in his career but Nobody is irreplacable and at least AA has 4 months to sort it out. Good luck to the bloke.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:00 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:52 pm
TKOA wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:27 pm
MB86DFC wrote:
Old Git wrote:

Perhaps not if he takes a penalty!
I am as disappointed as everyone else, especially as at 30 years old I thought he would not be tempted away to a full time club. I understand the financial lure must be difficult to resist. I am just saying there is no loyalty in football. Perhaps I am very naïve and old fashioned, but there is no doubt that supporters are the only loyal people in football.
I am not a fan of manufactured clubs like Fylde, so I won’t be hoping they get promoted. We need them in our league next season, as we can hopefully take another 6 points off the wankers.
No doubt at all that supporters are the only loyal ones! The way I see it though if another company offered me a lot more money than I’m on now I’d be off like a shot. It’s the same for footballers, especially at our level. It’s a short career and surely you want to make as much money as you can to make your life after football as comfortable as possible. They certainly won’t be retired like many Premier League and probably championship players.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:03 pm

Looks like his employer has been very flexible - I would imagine he will get 18-24 months at Flyde playing full time before he drops back to part time - makes complete sense to him as he will get the best of both worlds i.e. more money now, but going back to his employer full time after. Good luck to him.
From a Darlo point of view, this is a big blow - major rebuild needed for next season. I think Wheatley needs to move on as well.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:04 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:48 pm
Cannot blame him at all, why wouldn’t he, and to get money when he could have gone in summer anyway, had to be done, no issue.
A big however though is how it just sums up that we are where we are as a club and without some type of outside finance we will just mull along selling our best players and replacing them with less talented, fact. Vicious circle I’m afraid and get that many fans of being fan owned etc like the security of where we are.
Think this one has just brought it home again that without some change, whether that’s a new ground with increased sustainable income or outside investment ( not that they are queuing up) we will just have to lump the situation which I for one would give up tomorrow for an alternative structure.
We are where we are like I said.
There will always be a bigger fish than us. Even if we were full time in league 2, good players would get tempted away by league 1 clubs or higher. We do it to smaller clubs or clubs with less resources than us too - sign their better players.

Shame to lose Hatfield - an excellent player. One of the best we've had since 2012. It severely weakens the core of the squad we've been developing this season, and he will be very difficult to replace. Can't blame him at all if Fylde have offered him 2 and a bit years full time football on a hefty contract.

I'd like to see the money received used to tie down some players to contracts for next season. We've never really been serious playoff challengers this season, partly because it took months to get the core of the team sorted out. I think we've got a solid core now (or, did until todays news), but how many are tied down for next season? Possibly none? We could in theory have to do a rebuild again.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:06 pm

jjljks wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:54 pm
Probably a bigger loss to us than Charman was but given their offer, can't blame him for accepting one last chance at full time & more dosh. He probably has played some of his best games for us earlier in his career but Nobody is irreplacable and at least AA has 4 months to sort it out. Good luck to the bloke.
Yep, a bigger loss than Charman, to me.

He made us tick.

I suppose in the two times we beat them this season, he was noticed :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:11 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:06 pm
jjljks wrote:

He made us tick.

That never clicked with me, but you are spot on.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:34 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:06 pm
jjljks wrote:

He made us tick.

From memory I don’t think he played in the recent away win at Fylde. That was the game when several players were rested and I think we went with Purver and Wheatley in midfield. Hatfield may have come on as a sub late on. Perhaps he was a bit busy talking terms with their owners 🤣

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:55 pm

Disappointed to lose him, he's been a massive part of the team and the dressing room for the last 3 seasons. He's been excellent in his time here both on and off the pitch and good luck to the lad wish him all the best.

Agree with al_quaker above about losing players, barring 3 or 4 clubs in this country, every club is a selling club (also it never seemed to be an issue when we were taking players from teams like Guiseley etc). All we can do is be astute, get our best assets tied up to contracts to make sure we're compensated when players leave, which is what sounds like what's happened in this case. It will be a challenge for AA to replace him over the summer with a proper box to box midfielder, I like our midfield options but Purver and Wheatley are ball winners, Rose is a play maker, what we're lacking without Hatfield is a ball carrier. (I can't claim to have watched Moke enough to know whether that's his game or not). Also don't think its a bad idea mentioned above to give Hedley a few games at CM over the last 10, he's had an excellent season, maybe this is his chance.

On a slightly related note, if I were Gateshead or Brackley I'd be taking a nervous look over my shoulder at what Fylde and York are doing. Whichever of them doesn't win the league is going to be facing York and Fylde sides with new (proven) managers who have strengthened their squads ready for the Playoffs. I doubt Brackley or Gateshead have the resources to strengthen in the same way.

DARLODAH

Post by DARLODAH » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:58 pm

Must now get Wheatley back ASAP!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:07 pm

Wheatley can't be recalled for 28 days, and in any case he isn't even half the player Hatfield is, can't beat players, can't shoot, can't score, reckless tackler. He'll be gone at the end of the season. We'll have our work cut out finding a replacement for Hatfield, and I guess we'll have to adapt our style slightly without the powerhouse of Hatfield in the middle of the park.

It seems we really can't compete for promotion from this level given our current finances. Is it worth using some of the cash from transfers to improve player contracts so we don't have to put in release clauses to keep them happy, or is a release clause something a player demands now?
Last edited by Yarblockos on Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:13 pm

DARLODAH wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:58 pm
Must now get Wheatley back ASAP!
I’m really struggling to understand this - he does not want to play for us and asked to leave , what is AA meant to do ?

What I would say is it is now vital we get Danny Rose signed on a permanent deal

Darlogramps

Will Hatfield

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:16 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
It seems we really can't compete for promotion from this level given our current finances. Is it worth using some of the cash from transfers to improve player contracts so we don't have to put in release clauses to keep them happy, or is a release clause something a player demands now?
Guess it depends on the player and what they’re specifically after. I would imagine for part-time footballers, particularly those wanting to get back into the professional game, they’ll want a release clause allowing them to speak to a club offering full time football, should such an offer be made.

In that instance, there’s probably very little we can do. It’s a reflection of where we are as a club and we just have to make the best of it.

We’ve got a fee for Hatfield (more than we would have done in the summer when he’d have left for free). That can be used to invest in the squad, and as others have said, the best use would be to tie down some of those we want for the next campaign.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:26 pm

Old Git wrote:
Embarrassing.

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:36 pm

Not sure I’ll be doing BTB after this move, really disappointed will express by view from the ground tonight if I meet any directors.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:43 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:26 pm
Old Git wrote:
Embarrassing.
Bizarre. Why would I feel embarrassed about not cheering him playing for an opposing team?
I have not said I would boo him. I can understand why he has moved, but I don’t have to be pleased about it.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:47 pm

Darlobill wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:36 pm
Not sure I’ll be doing BTB after this move, really disappointed will express by view from the ground tonight if I meet any directors.
The thing is though, if we didn’t put these clauses into the contracts then the better players wouldn’t sign for us in the first place, making things worse, not better.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:50 pm

Darlobill wrote:
What was the alternative? Spunk a chunk of next years budget on one player to keep him here? Or to hold on for the next 10 games and lose him for free? This season is over so no point in missing a fee. If we were in the playoff battle then I’d be more annoyed.

Not boosting the budget will only lead to things like this happening more often.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:56 pm

Not sure what you plan to say to the directors. It appears that Will was offered full time football, more money than we can afford (though we offered more than anyone since 2012), he was able to keep in touch with his other job. As said above in a tough economic time and at 31 I'd be very surprised if most of us wouldn't jump at the opportunity. He's been a very loyal, hard working servant of the club who whenever I saw him always gave 100%. BTB is about the club I've supported since 1976, not one player. Good luck Will and thank you for your attitude and effort.
Last edited by don'tbuythesun on Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:56 pm

Darlobill wrote:Not sure I’ll be doing BTB after this move, really disappointed will express by view from the ground tonight if I meet any directors.
What are the club supposed to do, deny him the opportunity of playing FT football at almost 31 on a lucrative contract until 2024 ?.Ridiculous comment, how on earth do you blame any directors.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:06 pm

Darlobill wrote:
And say what? "I see that a full-time club with a wealthy owner met a release clause in a contract for a 31 year old player out of contract in the summer, offered him mega money and full time football, we countered with the best offer we've made since becoming fan owned, but he chose to move anyway. How disgraceful" ?