New Signing or Signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

New Signing or Signings

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:49 pm

Transfer window for us today, will open this thread for us to discuss whoever comes in - hopefully a new signing, maybe more than one.

Anyone want to guess or heard any rumours?

CrazyDarlo

Re: New Signing or Signings

Post by CrazyDarlo » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:17 pm

Nathan Lowe has signed on loan from South Shields.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:38 pm

A replacement on loan for Hatfield. With another one to follow maybe.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:55 pm

Just took a very unhappy dog for an impromptu walk to the Arena.

Alas, still no sign of Paul Connor however I did see a fat bloke pacing up and down outside the gates babbling incoherently about how he's king and that he's in charge and that we're all his "bitches".

Sounded a lot like someone who used to post on here.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:56 pm

Probably more happy if we don’t lose anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:37 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:56 pm
Probably more happy if we don’t lose anyone

Possibly more signings, don't think anyone is leaving at this point but guessing Wheatley won't be coming back and will leave in the summer.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:00 am

Dom Mchale being mentioned and on what I’ve seen of him, I’d consider one of the best midfielders around

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:15 am

Mchale has now signed also.

Wheatley will stay at Markse and we have about 5 central midfielders for now.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:36 am

McHale was noticeably good in the games against us. Really pleased with this.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:43 am

StevieMardenboro wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:36 am
McHale was noticeably good in the games against us. Really pleased with this.
I agree, he certainly stood out the time I saw him play against us. We'll have see how it develops, bearing in mind how often he moves between clubs!

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:02 pm

In trying to catch up with where we stand at the moment, and with several new loan signings, it made me wonder how many players we have that are on loan, and how many of those can appear in a match squad?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:15 pm

McHale, Thompson, Rose, Lowe, O’Neill are the 5 we’ve got on loan.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:17 pm

You are allowed 5 I think.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:41 pm

Depending on how these signings work out I think maybe AA looking to next season and whether any or all of them them stay on, also depends on there circumstances with their own club.
McHale a funny one been around a lot of clubs never got settled for one reason or another. I will judge him on performance with us. To much sh-t on the net.Hopefully comes good for Darlington

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:02 pm

On March 3 Telford tweeted "we can confirm that Dominic McHale departed the club this morning." That doesn't make this move sound like a loan.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:21 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:02 pm
On March 3 Telford tweeted "we can confirm that Dominic McHale departed the club this morning." That doesn't make this move sound like a loan.
Been clarified by a local journalist that he was away from the club but still under contract

Anyway, an interesting signing. Clearly got talent, so lets see if AA can unlock it!

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:25 pm

The impression I got from the Telford site was that they thought well of him but could never get him fit enough this year to get a decent run in the team. They couldn't seem to work out the exact nature of his problem. They seem to have given up on waiting for him to be ready enough to play. Just hope that the change of scenery will get him up and running again.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:46 pm

Kevin Phillips has taken a right old swipe at Lowe and it has caused a major rift among the Shields fans, quite a few of whom had already questioned his appointment as manager. There'll be two sides to the story (only one of which has been given) and I'm not sure it's the wisest or fairest way for Phillips to handle it although he no doubt wanted to circumvent any flak coming his way about releasing a good player at this crucial stage. I'll bet Lowe felt he had been completely sidelined by the boss and wouldn't be playing a part in things.

This is what Phillips has said: “On Monday, Nathan came to see me and said he didn’t want to play for the club anymore. 

“He said he was disappointed he hadn’t played in the previous two games and felt his time at the club had come to an end. 

“It was disappointing and surprising to us that Nathan viewed things that way, but I’ve said from day one that we would never keep anyone at the club who doesn’t want to be here."

One thing is clear. On his day Lowe is an excellent box-to-box midfielder who also loves a tackle and can chip in with goals.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:17 pm

So two midfielders signed on loan, but both of whom seem to destined to leave their clubs for good at the end of the season.

Ideal for us really, we get to trial the pair of them over an extended period in competitive games before deciding if we want to bring them in on contracts next season.

With Hatfield and probably Wheatley gone, and no guarantee Rose will be here next season it's good to see Armstrong acting now to avoid going into next season with a completely new midfield that takes a couple of months to gel, or to show whether it's good enough at all (as with our defence at the start of this season).

A good, proactive move by Armstrong and shows he may have learned a bit from the issues faced at the start of the season.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:13 am

Kevin Philips definitely not happy about Nathan Lowe leaving Shields so suspect this must be more than a simple loan, must come with promises of a contract next season if it all works out. Fingers crossed then

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:31 am

Just been a bit negative here, if the loan signings leave at the end of the season, we’ll be in a muddle.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:03 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:31 am
Just been a bit negative here, if the loan signings leave at the end of the season, we’ll be in a muddle.
Not really because AA will no where the gaps in the squad are and will have 3 months to fill them.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:36 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:31 am
Not being a bit negative here, if the loan signings leave at the end of the season, we’ll be in a muddle.
Don't think you're being negative just realistic. With so many loan signings and with the fact that the players we have out on loan will not be staying with the club we inevitably face another close season of rebuilding? I assume most players who are on contracts only have till the end of season or am I wrong?

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:57 am

I understand your logic but I see it from the other side of the coin.

We, essentially, have a potentially very talented group of players on trial until the end of the season. If they settle and fit in, we can sign pre-contract agreements; if not, we shake hands and move on to other targets.

I think this is very sensible business.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:07 am

I have sympathy for AA with Charman and Hatfield both leaving. But we have to accept we are faced with another rebuild.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:05 pm

bga wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:07 am
I have sympathy for AA with Charman and Hatfield both leaving. But we have to accept we are faced with another rebuild.
I disagree.

We’ve lost two phenomenal players for this level but the general squad is in a far, far healthier place than the summer and early season.

We’ve now got a solid keeper and defence, a decent overall squad, we just need to get a couple of players to improve it.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:10 pm

Beano wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:05 pm
bga wrote:
I disagree.

We’ve lost two phenomenal players for this level but the general squad is in a far, far healthier place than the summer and early season.

We’ve now got a solid keeper and defence, a decent overall squad, we just need to get a couple of players to improve it.
Yep this is where I am at, with a caveat of if we get the players we really want locked down for next season.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:13 pm

Beano wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:05 pm
bga wrote:
I disagree.

I think we are talking at slightly cross-purposes. I agree the overall squad is good my point is how many of them will be with us at the start of next season? Hence reference to another possible rebuild.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:28 pm

I get the sense that AA is building for next season now, so, without having any insider knowledge, I reckon we'll be looking at maybe 3-4 signings in the summer, and few departures. Armstrong said a while ago that he only really likes loans as a way of getting a feel for players he wants to sign, and I reckon only Thompson has come in on any other basis than that. McHale and Lowe I reckon are effectively on trial.

I think we'll see beeden, the other defender we signed last summer whose name I have briefly forgotten, probably storey, maybe Griffiths, perhaps mondal, and Wheatley go in the summer, and any other departures will be because clubs higher up come in for them. I reckon rose will stay, O'Neill too, and Thompson will get fixed up in the conference or L2.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:09 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:28 pm
I get the sense that AA is building for next season now, so, without having any insider knowledge, I reckon we'll be looking at maybe 3-4 signings in the summer, and few departures. Armstrong said a while ago that he only really likes loans as a way of getting a feel for players he wants to sign, and I reckon only Thompson has come in on any other basis than that. McHale and Lowe I reckon are effectively on trial.

I think we'll see beeden, the other defender we signed last summer whose name I have briefly forgotten, probably storey, maybe Griffiths, perhaps mondal, and Wheatley go in the summer, and any other departures will be because clubs higher up come in for them. I reckon rose will stay, O'Neill too, and Thompson will get fixed up in the conference or L2.
I think you may be a bit optimistic about our chances of signing Danny Rose on a permanent basis. I am not sure where he is currently based but most of his career has been spent in the South, such as Oxford Swindon Portsmouth etc. He was probably happy enough to join Grimsby on a full time contract, but would he join us on a part time wage? Not sure, but if he decides to extend his playing career he will presumably want a club close to his family home wherever that is.