New Signing or Signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing or Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:16 pm

bga wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:13 pm
Beano wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:05 pm
bga wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:07 am
I have sympathy for AA with Charman and Hatfield both leaving. But we have to accept we are faced with another rebuild.
I disagree.

We’ve lost two phenomenal players for this level but the general squad is in a far, far healthier place than the summer and early season.

We’ve now got a solid keeper and defence, a decent overall squad, we just need to get a couple of players to improve it.
I think we are talking at slightly cross-purposes. I agree the overall squad is good my point is how many of them will be with us at the start of next season? Hence reference to another possible rebuild.
I actually don't think that stands up to any sort of scrutiny. We have 25 players on our books by my reckoning (excluding players like Sanyang and Beauchamp).

GK - Taylor, Martin
DEF - Griffiths, Smith, Hedley, Hope, Ellis, Wheater, Storey, Lawlor, Beeden, B. Taylor
MID - Moke, Purver, McHale, Rose, Lowe, Wheatley
ATT - Rivers, Dos Santos, O'Neill, Mondal, Cassidy, Lambert, Thompson.

If we assume the departures of Beeden, B.Taylor and Wheatley, even if none of the five loan signings remain, we'd still have 17 players, 15 of which are senior.

We know AA wants to keep the majority of this squad together. Should he do that, we're looking at about three or four new signings over the summer I would say.

Compare that to last summer, where we had just six players remaining from the previous campaign. The position we're in now, compared to last summer, is massively different, so saying "We have to accept we're faced with another rebuild" is, with all due respect, simply untrue.

There is the big caveat, as Super Les correctly says, that AA needs to get the majority of the existing squad signed up. So long as that happens, the emphasis will be on adding a handful of quality players rather than totally rebuilding the squad.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

bga

Post by bga » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:51 pm

Gramps I think we all agree that this all hinges on how many of the current squad are "re-signed" for next season. Untill that is known neither of us are right or wrong. Anyway off to listen to Darlo fans radio now!

Darlogramps

New Signing or Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:58 pm

bga wrote:Gramps I think we all agree that this all hinges on how many of the current squad are "re-signed" for next season. Untill that is known neither of us are right or wrong. Anyway off to listen to Darlo fans radio now!
I think you’re choosing to take the pessimistic, glass half-empty view. For the last few seasons we’ve handed out predominantly one-year deals so it’s not a big issue as far as I’m concerned.

Let’s trust that DJ, AA et al know what they’re doing and approach this summer in the right way.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:22 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:09 pm
tdk1 wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:28 pm
I get the sense that AA is building for next season now, so, without having any insider knowledge, I reckon we'll be looking at maybe 3-4 signings in the summer, and few departures. Armstrong said a while ago that he only really likes loans as a way of getting a feel for players he wants to sign, and I reckon only Thompson has come in on any other basis than that. McHale and Lowe I reckon are effectively on trial.

I think we'll see beeden, the other defender we signed last summer whose name I have briefly forgotten, probably storey, maybe Griffiths, perhaps mondal, and Wheatley go in the summer, and any other departures will be because clubs higher up come in for them. I reckon rose will stay, O'Neill too, and Thompson will get fixed up in the conference or L2.
I think you may be a bit optimistic about our chances of signing Danny Rose on a permanent basis. I am not sure where he is currently based but most of his career has been spent in the South, such as Oxford Swindon Portsmouth etc. He was probably happy enough to join Grimsby on a full time contract, but would he join us on a part time wage? Not sure, but if he decides to extend his playing career he will presumably want a club close to his family home wherever that is.
You may well be right

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:13 pm

Good news in the AA post match interview that many offered, many on options and some have agreed…to be announced in due course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:43 am

tdk1 wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:22 pm
Old Git wrote:
tdk1 wrote:
I get the sense that AA is building for next season now, so, without having any insider knowledge, I reckon we'll be looking at maybe 3-4 signings in the summer, and few departures. Armstrong said a while ago that he only really likes loans as a way of getting a feel for players he wants to sign, and I reckon only Thompson has come in on any other basis than that. McHale and Lowe I reckon are effectively on trial.

I think we'll see beeden, the other defender we signed last summer whose name I have briefly forgotten, probably storey, maybe Griffiths, perhaps mondal, and Wheatley go in the summer, and any other departures will be because clubs higher up come in for them. I reckon rose will stay, O'Neill too, and Thompson will get fixed up in the conference or L2.
I think you may be a bit optimistic about our chances of signing Danny Rose on a permanent basis. I am not sure where he is currently based but most of his career has been spent in the South, such as Oxford Swindon Portsmouth etc. He was probably happy enough to join Grimsby on a full time contract, but would he join us on a part time wage? Not sure, but if he decides to extend his playing career he will presumably want a club close to his family home wherever that is.
You may well be right
Rose has just bought a house in Grimsby not so long ago as he lives round the corner from my daughter.
I’d love to keep him on a permanent deal like, the lad is different class :clap:

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:38 am

AndyPark wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:43 am
tdk1 wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:22 pm
Old Git wrote:
tdk1 wrote:

You may well be right
Rose has just bought a house in Grimsby not so long ago as he lives round the corner from my daughter.
I’d love to keep him on a permanent deal like, the lad is different class :clap:
Would be a huge signing for us , in my opinion he is the priority now with Hatfield leaving

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:48 am

Sure according to social media he does have another job whilst he is with us - I guess going part time whilst on full time money is a good trial and actually a nice bonus for him while he can do it.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:02 am

Andy, next time you're in Grimsby take the lad out for a meal and work that Andy Park charm on him and persuade him to stay.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:14 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:02 am
Andy, next time you're in Grimsby take the lad out for a meal and work that Andy Park charm on him and persuade him to stay.
:lol: :lol:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:17 am

Grimsby to Catterick about 112 miles and 1hour 55 minutes. Maybe he could commute for training.