Darlington v Boston 26/03/22

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Old Git » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:18 am

Well here we go again with a home against Boston. Expect to see some rotation of the team today even after the fine performance against Southport in midweek. I think Wheater and Rose could come back in and then we have Lowe and McHale both signed since the last game as well. Throw into the equation Griffiths Storey Rivers and O’Neill as well and to be honest I don’t have a clue what the team will be. Competition for places, even on the bench is fierce, which is a great headache for the manager to have. We genuinely have around 20 players who are all capable of stepping in to the starting X1 and putting in a good performance.
More of the same from Tuesday night please.

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Darlington v Boston 26/03/22

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:31 am

Let’s hope we get through this game injury free.

Boston Utd = foulalot.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:14 pm

Fantastic win well done lads👍

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:00 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:14 pm
We made hard work of it at times, but we were strong enough to get the job done.
Don’t want to sound like a broken record but that pitch is not conducive to our passing style of football, and I think we are doing well to keep winning our home games. One defeat in 9 games and 20 points secured. Nine games to go and another 20 points would surely see us very close to the playoffs.
I really didn’t think we would still be in with a shout after our poor form earlier in the season. Well done lads onwards and upwards.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:32 pm

There are currently about 6 clubs including ourselves in with a chance of the last playoff spot. I think it'll be a relatively low points total needed compared to recent ones to land it, which is why its been frustrating to have a slow start and the dip in form late January otherwise we'd have been comfortably placed.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:36 pm

We should really have put the game well and truly to bed with that excellent KDS chance in the second half and in the end we were hanging on after two tough games this week. They couldn't handle our passing game in the first half and our players gave it their all when it got tough going near the end. I've never see so many players drop to their knees in exaustion at the end of a game. Their penalty was just about their first real effort on goal and it looked like the trip was outside the box.

It'll be difficult but we've given ourselves a chance of the playoffs after a stunning run of form and performances. Thank goodness the players didn't give up on things in the way some fans did. However this ends up, everyone should be proud of the way AA and the players have turned this season around. We've got a good manager, who's attracted good players to the club who give their alll and we can play some great football.

Thank god the kneejerkers didn't get their way when things got tough for a while. Whatever lessons AA has learned about recruitment this season I hope some fans also learned a lesson about patience, stability and looking long-term before hastily hitting the panic button in a tough spell.

Make the playoffs or not I think the club looks in good hands going forward.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:26 pm

Agree with Lucan - as a twitching knee jerker I'm very happy to be wrong and feel AA and his team have responded so well to the situation. If we do scrape into the play offs all bets are off. :thumbup:

Henley

Post by Henley » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:02 pm

I must say, I’m getting a bit tumescent down here in Sussex at this current run.

I’m even starting to look at my diary for dates to come back to Monte Darlo for a match.

Chris Willsden - you’ve been the Jonah! :lol:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:08 pm

Another great display and big result (with Yarblockhead crying into his cornflakes at AA picking up another win). Good day all round.

With regards the play-offs, it’s between Gateshead and Brackley for the title, AFC Fylde and Kidderminster are pretty secure in having a play-off spot.

So that leaves three places up for grabs. We’re five points behind Chorley in 5th. Then you have York and after that Southport, who seem to be the most likely to catch at this stage.

Right now I’d say there’s six others teams who *could* make it. Obviously Hereford and Boston are above us. Then below us, Kettering, Spennymoor and Curzon are longer shots to make it, but could all go above or level with us if they win their games in hand. If we’re in the race, then at this stage we can’t rule them out either.

So right now I’d say it’s three from nine for the final spots, although that will thin out once games in hand get played etc.

All we can do is keep winning matches. We’ve got two reasonable away trips to Leamington and Alfreton next, where we really need six points to keep the pressure on. There’s not much margin for error at all, given we have Gateshead and Brackley to play before the end of the season.

But the momentum and confidence is there. What struck me about today, particularly in the first half, was how much everyone seemed to be enjoying it. If we keep winning games, who knows what might happen.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:27 pm

Re the above, when the teams ran out for the second half the Boston players looked stressed, under pressure and as if they’d had a right bollocking. Conversely the Darlo players ran out after - looking relaxed, happy and confident.

A great game today, the best I’ve seen for quite some time, bit of a nerve wracking end though.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:30 pm

Excellent team performance again today.
Think Thompson has made the difference in last run of games and would love to think we have a chance of keeping him, but probably not realistically. Think his pace, running the channels and strength are exactly what we have missed since Charman. I know some like O’Neill and would sign him up but this lad is head and shoulders above him in my view. His pace, vision and pass for Santos chance was another level.
Thought personally it was him or Hedley for MoM.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:33 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:00 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:14 pm
We made hard work of it at times, but we were strong enough to get the job done.
Don’t want to sound like a broken record but that pitch is not conducive to our passing style of football, and I think we are doing well to keep winning our home games. One defeat in 9 games and 20 points secured. Nine games to go and another 20 points would surely see us very close to the playoffs.
I really didn’t think we would still be in with a shout after our poor form earlier in the season. Well done lads onwards and upwards.
Sorry getting a bit carried away, only 8 games left 😲

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:27 am

Apparently their manager gave them a right bollocking at half time. They were very poor, considering their position in the league. Thought we looked really good, with some great individual performances & it was great to hear David Wheater got the the MOTM. He has certainly made our defence look very solid in front of Tommy Taylor. I think if we can make the play-offs, no side will fancy playing us and given our away support, any game played away would be more like a home game for us.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:46 am

It looked as though the heat had got to some poor bloke in the Tin Shed yesterday, needed medical assistance in the end hope all is well with him.
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:27 am
I think if we can make the play-offs, no side will fancy playing us and given our away support, any game played away would be more like a home game for us.
I have to disagree Pete, we're not in the Northern League anymore Brackley aside I don't see which other side currently in the play off positions we could outnumber at home, playing away would certainly not become an advantage regardless of numbers travelling.

I have a horrible feeling Fylde will find a way into the final a long with either Kiddy or Brackley, it would be nice to be involved though barring any unexpected ground grading issues! :lol:
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:27 am

Lambert was outstanding yesterday. I will be very surprised if he is still here next season as it wouldn't surprise me if he is the next one off Alun's production line.

Cassidy was also excellent and showed exactly what he brings to the side without having to score. He just needs somebody next to him in the mould of Thompson to bring the best out of him.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:01 am

Bit of Karma for Cassidy yesterday 🤣🤣🤣

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:10 am

Boston we're she'll shocked when they went 2-0 down and they were fighting amongst themselves several times after that. I thought they would get a right rollicking at half time and so it appears. They did better in the second half but it was very route one, get the ball from back to front as quickly as possible. That would have worked last season and the start of this, but we're a much different team now.

Agree that everyone had a good game yesterday, Moke broke up play superbly and we just seemed up for the fight more then them. It's great what confidence and competition for places can do.

I do understand fans criticism of Cassidy and his lack of goals. But what I'll never agree with is his lack of effort and energy he has which some seem to think he doesn't do. It's clear that the likes of Thompson and Mondal, for the fees games he played, thrived off his work rate and ability to pull defenders out of position.

Finally a special mention for Griffith. Why a small number of our fans are calling for his release baffles me.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:25 am

A game of 2 halves, first half we were unstoppable & should have gone in 4-0 up. 2nd half they adopted their usual niggly shirt pulling & fouls then copped a soft penalty. Tense even after they went down to 10 men and my only criticism would be the lateness of our subs. Several of the lads were out on their feet after some great pressing. Still, good win in what was a 6 pointer & they were really gutted to go away empty handed. Bring on Gateshead & Brackley as we play better against better opposition. If we could play the same against Leamington & Alfreton then we could scrape into the playoffs.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:42 pm

I have to agree about the use of subs he leaves them far too late and you could see if we had fresh legs on with 15 mins to go up front might have caused them more problems.Another thing that annoys me is when taking a goal kick everybody is in a quarter of the field instead of leaving someone wide on the other side for a pass out. But not being a manager what do i know LOL!!!.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:45 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:Boston we're she'll shocked when they went 2-0 down and they were fighting amongst themselves several times after that. I thought they would get a right rollicking at half time and so it appears. They did better in the second half but it was very route one, get the ball from back to front as quickly as possible. That would have worked last season and the start of this, but we're a much different team now.

Agree that everyone had a good game yesterday, Moke broke up play superbly and we just seemed up for the fight more then them. It's great what confidence and competition for places can do.

I do understand fans criticism of Cassidy and his lack of goals. But what I'll never agree with is his lack of effort and energy he has which some seem to think he doesn't do. It's clear that the likes of Thompson and Mondal, for the fees games he played, thrived off his work rate and ability to pull defenders out of position.

Finally a special mention for Griffith. Why a small number of our fans are calling for his release baffles me.
For me, Kalum rarely has a bad game, very consistent and he was outstanding yesterday in defence and attack.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:52 pm

Great performance, Cassidy and Thompson were superb together.

AA has done a brilliant job when you consider how many players he has lost.

The key for me is keeping this group of players together next season so we can get off to a good start, think we will challenge if we do.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:43 pm

After so much inconsistency then losing our leading goalscorer and our captain fantastic midfield general it looked like end of season mediocrity threatened. The players have responded magnificently and I hope the doomsayers who felt we might be fighting relegation are reflecting on their comments. Well done Alun, players and staff. What news of Andrew Nelson by the way?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:15 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:After so much inconsistency then losing our leading goalscorer and our captain fantastic midfield general it looked like end of season mediocrity threatened. The players have responded magnificently and I hope the doomsayers who felt we might be fighting relegation are reflecting on their comments. Well done Alun, players and staff. What news of Andrew Nelson by the way?
Totally agree 100%.Would imagine the club are monitoring the progress of Nelson's recovery programme and are keeping in touch.Would be brilliant to eventually have him back playing like he did the first time we had him .

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:31 am

Nelson won't be back until 23/24 season in any fit form.

I am sure the club will keep in touch and confident Nelson will work with Danny on his recovery but it's a long road back for him currently.

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:59 am

Saturday is an important game. Leamington appear to be very good at home, and it's no gimme we will beat them. However, the confidence, ability and work rate shown in the last few weeks should give us every chance.