The penalty that wasn't

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

The penalty that wasn't

Post by onewayup » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:55 am

After watching the replay I am convinced the challenge was outside the box, the player fell into the box so it wasn't a penalty, wrong decision by a poor ref and linesman.

theoriginalfatcat

Re: The penalty that wasn't

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:12 am

When the bickering was going, some Darlo players pointed to the cameraman and tried to get him involved as he was set up virtually on the side of the penalty box. It seemed a bit desperate - he could never have got involved :D
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:16 am

I think I'd say the opposite tbh, from the camera angle behind the goal looked to me like contact was on the line, the line belongs to the box so penalty for me.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:24 am

Camera man ,don't think even VAR if it was allowed would have changed refs mind ,he's just a crap refferee he never gets any better how many years has he been reffing.we all have opinions the line isn't in the box it defines the inside, the tackle for me was outside, his foot is on the line as he falls.
Speed carries the player forward into the box ,he's actually going down in this still.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:37 am

onewayup wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:24 am
Camera man ,don't think even VAR if it was allowed would have changed refs mind ,he's just a crap refferee he never gets any better how many years has he been reffing.we all have opinions the line isn't in the box it defines the inside, the tackle for me was outside, his foot is on the line as he falls.
Speed carries the player forward into the box ,he's actually going down in this still.
Looked on the line to me

Darlogramps

The penalty that wasn't

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:39 am

Doubtless I’ll be corrected by our resident refereeing expert if I’m wrong, but taken from Law 1 of IFAB’s Laws of the Games:

“Measurements are from the outside of the lines as the lines are part of the area they enclose.”

In other words, JE93 would be right that the line is part of the penalty area, and onewayup is making things up to suit his argument.

From the original angle the foul looks outside the penalty area, but when you look at the unobscured angle from behind the goal, it’s hard to disagree with JE93.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:42 am

In defence of the referee I thought he had a decent game. The penalty is a really tight call, but he took his time, consulted the assistant and made his decision. The line is part of the box so I think he may have just got it right. Either way a very close call and I am sure we would have been shouting for a penalty if it occurred at the other end. Again with the other big call on the sending off, he took his time and I think he made a correct call. It was a high lunge in from the defender which was dangerous and could have caused injury to Cassidy.
Rather surprised that AA was so critical of him in his post match interview. We won the game, and we have seen far worse officiating this season, so no need to have a go at him. Presumably, there is some history here as he refers to every time he comes here, but on this occasion it was unjustified criticism for me. I am sure referees watch the highlights of their games on line, and post match comments from managers as well. Not necessarily a good move to get their backs up for their next visit.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:07 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:39 am
Doubtless I’ll be corrected by our resident refereeing expert if I’m wrong, but taken from Law 1 of IFAB’s Laws of the Games:

“Measurements are from the outside of the lines as the lines are part of the area they enclose.”

In other words, JE93 would be right that the line is part of the penalty area, and onewayup is making things up to suit his argument.

From the original angle the foul looks outside the penalty area, but when you look at the unobscured angle from behind the goal, it’s hard to disagree with JE93.
The other element is if a foul continues into the penalty area the correct outcome is a penalty - with a tackle it isn't always cut and dry where the foul stops but contact is a reasonable indicator.

Assistant is rarely in a good position to see a penalty incident along that line of the penalty area and would expect that to be a referees decision - though based on that still he hasn't helped himself in getting in a good position to see it.

Assistants take the lead on the ones which are on the edge of the 18 that they are looking along as they have the view.

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:03 am

We said at half-time the ref was having a decent game. Not sure his 2nd half performance justified AA's criticism.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:28 am

I thought the ref was ok, no worse than a lot we have had this season and hes certainly had worse games involving us. His decision making on the whole was correct although I thought he was harsh with the red card. I actually thought the challenge on Hedley in the first half was worse.
With regard to the penalty, usually when its close they err on the side of caution (in other words, bottle it) and give a free kick on outside the box.
Looking at the photos, it could have gone either way as neither are totally conclusive.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:39 am

The trip (which was on his back foot) happened outside the box. The foul was entirely outside the box and he then fell (dived :D) over into the area.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:47 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:39 am
The trip (which was on his back foot) happened outside the box. The foul was entirely outside the box and he then fell (dived :D) over into the area.
Where was his front foot though? If thats touching the line then its a penalty.
I remember years ago at Shrewsbury Adam Reed was pulling a players shirt way before they got into the box but the ref gave a penalty as thats where the player went down even though it was clear to everyone in the ground the shirt pulling started a few metres outside the box.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:02 pm

Neither his back foot nor his front foot were in the box and neither were on the line.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:05 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:42 am
In defence of the referee I thought he had a decent game. The penalty is a really tight call, but he took his time, consulted the assistant and made his decision. The line is part of the box so I think he may have just got it right.
Yes I thought he had a much improved match compared to the Gloucester debacle, so I think AA's comments after the match were a bit over the top - AA probably just hasn't got over Gloucester yet.

Penalty challenge was on the line so was in fact a penalty, unless we want to argue the amount of contact. Sending off probably harsh, possibly the ref trying to give us something after robbing us blind v Gloucester, who knows.

We had a couple of strange decisions go against us, and the Boston manager thought that about his team too, but I didn't really notice the ref this time, hence he must have had a much improved match.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:08 pm

The ref bottled it the linesman backed him, it wasn't a penalty, my opinion is a free kick a foot off the 18 yard line, :D

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:58 pm

I really do think it was a penalty, looking at the footage.

Also, I like Armstrong very much, but I wish he'd wind it in a bit about referees.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:23 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:58 pm
I really do think it was a penalty, looking at the footage.

Also, I like Armstrong very much, but I wish he'd wind it in a bit about referees.
Agree with you on both points.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:24 pm

Tommy Taylor was tripped by a Boston player when attempting to collect the cross that led to a header being cleared off the line in the second half. It was clear as day and he waved play on. Seems to have gone unnoticed.