Leamington Saturday

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darloed19
Team Supported: Darlington

Leamington Saturday

Post by darloed19 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:17 am

How many do you reckon we will take this weekend. I’m travelling from Yorkshire for the game.

Vodka_Vic

Re: Leamington Saturday

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:08 pm

I'll be there + 2 kids - coming from Lincolnshire

cbh89f

Post by cbh89f » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:24 pm

I’ll be going from Stourbridge..

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:13 am

I think we need 3 points today to keep alive our playoff hopes. We have 8 games left and it looks imperative to gain maximum points from the 5 teams below us, Leamington, Alfreton, Curzon Ashton, Bradford PA and Farsley. Some tricky games there, not least away to Bradford who are capable of taking points off the top teams. Nevertheless, the other fixtures against Gateshead, Brackley and Kidderminster are all very tough and we will be doing well to take 3 or 4 points from those 3 matches. If we can win the next 3 against Leamington, Alfreton and Curzon Ashton it will really make things interesting.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:33 pm

1-0 up and up to 8th in the virtual table. Come on lads 15 mins to go.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:53 pm

We win 1-0, great to keep a clean sheet yet again. Now joint 7th.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:00 pm

Excellent result especially without Wheater and Thompson. Shows we have a strong squad now with Ellis and Mondal coming in. Made even better because Hartlepool lost 🤣

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:56 pm

Signing of Moke was a master stroke. Lots of players out today so it was a massive win considering.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:13 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:53 pm
We win 1-0, great to keep a clean sheet yet again. Now joint 7th.

That would be 8th Pete.....
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

B_Little

Post by B_Little » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:14 pm

It was all about the 3 points today. Not pretty to watch. Result everything.

Mondal was a threat all afternoon and everything covered by Ellis at the back.

My MofM = Ellis.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:12 pm

Agree about Ellis, absolutely monster performance. We deserved the win overall, they really only had one decent effort, which would have been an absolute wondergoal but hit the bar.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:14 pm

Amazing how we've gone from being so weak in central defence to having an abundance of talent there now. No Wheater, no problem. We've got Lawlor and Ellis.

Hedley now surely one of our most consistent performers despite spending most of his time with us considered a bit of a back-up/utility player. A bit of Rob Purdie about him.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:52 pm

Hedley has to be a leading contender for Player of the Season, especially when you consider he's played most of the time not in his favoured position. Consistently hits a very high standard.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:07 pm

I agree. My one criticism today would be that he didn't overlap as much as he has recently. Not his strongest suit but he has been improving at it this season. However, going back to what the Southport manager said, today's pitch seemed quite narrow
Presumably suits Leamington's style.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:25 pm

Earlier in the season we were bullied by the long-throw, long-ball, set-piece sides but now we seem to cope with them, put them on the back foot and give them the problems. Wonder what sort of game Billy Heath's Alfreton will serve up :D

Piggy_

Post by Piggy_ » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:45 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:52 pm
Hedley has to be a leading contender for Player of the Season, especially when you consider he's played most of the time not in his favoured position. Consistently hits a very high standard.
Only 23 years old- would imagine he’s on the radar of a few league clubs. Seems to be loving life with us mind- hopefully he’s on board next season still.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:10 am

Can imagine the highlights be a lot shorter than usual, but without Wheater & Thompson in the side it was a great result.TBF Leamington also short of their 2 top strikers, our clean sheet owed a lot to Ellis who slotted into Wheater's berth. Worryingly, Rose had to be subbed & hope his injury is not serious. Other results went our way so the playoffs remain a possibility, especially if we can grind out more wins like this.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:05 am

LoidLucan wrote:Earlier in the season we were bullied by the long-throw, long-ball, set-piece sides but now we seem to cope with them, put them on the back foot and give them the problems. Wonder what sort of game Billy Heath's Alfreton will serve up :D
Cannot believe you are questioning Alfreton’s style of play, they like to have a passing game, one touch football and love to spray the ball around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:11 am

Watching the highlights from Leamington, it appeared to be a really scruffy game on a hard and bouncy pitch. We did well to come away with 3 points thanks to a bit of quality from Lambert and Mondal. I do think there is a real possibility that the Cassidy/Mondal partnership upfront is one that could blossom next season.
As for the pitch, am I the only one who would rather see a bit of a 1970s style mud bath than these dry uneven surfaces we see these days. I know drainage has improved a great deal in the last 50 years, but I used to enjoy a full blooded game with the mud flying. I suppose the health and safety brigade would never allow such fun ☹️

Darlogramps

Leamington Saturday

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:10 am

Old Git wrote: As for the pitch, am I the only one who would rather see a bit of a 1970s style mud bath than these dry uneven surfaces we see these days. I know drainage has improved a great deal in the last 50 years, but I used to enjoy a full blooded game with the mud flying. I suppose the health and safety brigade would never allow such fun Image
Have you had a bang on the head recently? You’ve been coming out with some very bizarre stuff over the last few days.

Or has Mrs Old Git cut back on the Chardonnay and you’re having withdrawal symptoms?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:23 am

Old Git wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:11 am
Watching the highlights from Leamington, it appeared to be a really scruffy game on a hard and bouncy pitch. We did well to come away with 3 points thanks to a bit of quality from Lambert and Mondal. I do think there is a real possibility that the Cassidy/Mondal partnership upfront is one that could blossom next season.
As for the pitch, am I the only one who would rather see a bit of a 1970s style mud bath than these dry uneven surfaces we see these days. I know drainage has improved a great deal in the last 50 years, but I used to enjoy a full blooded game with the mud flying. I suppose the health and safety brigade would never allow such fun ☹️
Let's ban shinpads, allow over the ball, off the ground two footed challenges, and bring back those really heavy, easily-waterlogged balls to make heading as dangerous as it used to be. Ah, the good old days.

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:03 am

No, give me falling over when accidentally breathed on, rolling around at every tackle, every foul resulting in wild appeals for a booking/sending off, bear hugs at every corner, any day. And surely an uneven, bone dry pitch is as dangerous as a muddy, wet pitch. I know which I preferred to play on.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:07 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:10 am
Old Git wrote: As for the pitch, am I the only one who would rather see a bit of a 1970s style mud bath than these dry uneven surfaces we see these days. I know drainage has improved a great deal in the last 50 years, but I used to enjoy a full blooded game with the mud flying. I suppose the health and safety brigade would never allow such fun Image
Have you had a bang on the head recently? You’ve been coming out with some very bizarre stuff over the last few days.

Or has Mrs Old Git cut back on the Chardonnay and you’re having withdrawal symptoms?
Had several bangs on the head, mostly banging my head against a brick wall with you. Keep the Chardy flowing I need some solace in my latter years.😄

Darlogramps

Leamington Saturday

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:48 am

DavidCurriesMullet wrote:No, give me falling over when accidentally breathed on, rolling around at every tackle, every foul resulting in wild appeals for a booking/sending off, bear hugs at every corner, any day.
You do realise players in the 70s did all these things? Cheating to gain an advantage has been part of football since the year dot. Diving, players intimidating referees, exaggerated reactions at challenges etc all happened years ago. Genuinely, watch some of the re-runs of older games online or when they occasionally show them on ITV 4.

There’s been a revisionism from older generations that in the 70s men were men and played “proper, honest football” and it’s a nonsense when you do any sort of looking into it. There was all sorts of cheating went on.

DavidCurriesMullet wrote:And surely an uneven, bone dry pitch is as dangerous as a muddy, wet pitch. I know which I preferred to play on.
Does it have to be one or the other? Pitches like Leamington (or ours) are the exception. Generally speaking pitch quality even down to non-league level has improved massively and is continuing to improve. Look at Curzon Ashton. Even in non-league you get some beautiful pitches.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:45 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:48 am
DavidCurriesMullet wrote:No, give me falling over when accidentally breathed on, rolling around at every tackle, every foul resulting in wild appeals for a booking/sending off, bear hugs at every corner, any day.
You do realise players in the 70s did all these things? Cheating to gain an advantage has been part of football since the year dot. Diving, players intimidating referees, exaggerated reactions at challenges etc all happened years ago. Genuinely, watch some of the re-runs of older games online or when they occasionally show them on ITV 4.

There’s been a revisionism from older generations that in the 70s men were men and played “proper, honest football” and it’s a nonsense when you do any sort of looking into it. There was all sorts of cheating went on.

DavidCurriesMullet wrote:And surely an uneven, bone dry pitch is as dangerous as a muddy, wet pitch. I know which I preferred to play on.
Does it have to be one or the other? Pitches like Leamington (or ours) are the exception. Generally speaking pitch quality even down to non-league level has improved massively and is continuing to improve. Look at Curzon Ashton. Even in non-league you get some beautiful pitches.
I watched a fair few games in the late 60's and all the way through the 70's. You are correct about the football pitches being so much better. However, I can't agree with you about the play acting, players couldn't get away with it then.. Ask anyone who watched their team get kicked off the park by Leeds United in the 70's. They got away with dirty play continually, (I suppose you could call that cheating) fouling meant nothing to the referees and I don't remember any pretending to get injured to stop play. Again, go back to the late 50's when it was OK to barge a goalkeeper over the goal line when they were comfortably holding the ball. No play acting was done then either and anyone trying it would have been ignored by the referee and the game would just carried on.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:51 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Look at Curzon Ashton. Even in non-league you get some beautiful pitches.
Yep with Premier League money and expertise you can have a great pitch - and get extra income for your troubles. Like Curzon have with Burnley u23s as their tenants.

A share with a Premier League 2 side (or Women's Super League) is an absolute winner. They want to make sure the pitch is to the dimensions and standard they want, they can use their existing staff and it saves them on the operational cost of using their first team ground for fixtures.

Southport have Everton pay them about £5k a game, use their ground staff do maintenance and they also paid for the pitch to be completely relaid the other season. Boreham Wood got a hybrid pitch which was equivalent to the Emirates paid for by Arsenal.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:58 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Yep with Premier League money and expertise you can have a great pitch - and get extra income for your troubles. Like Curzon have with Burnley u23s as their tenants.

A share with a Premier League 2 side (or Women's Super League) is an absolute winner. They want to make sure the pitch is to the dimensions and standard they want, they can use their existing staff and it saves them on the operational cost of using their first team ground for fixtures.

Southport have Everton pay them about £5k a game, use their ground staff do maintenance and they also paid for the pitch to be completely relaid the other season.
So what? It doesn’t change the fact you can get some excellent pitches in non-league.

The fact there’s more money around non-league, or different groundsharing arrangements doesn’t change that. That’s just part of football’s natural evolution.

As I said, pitches generally speaking, even in non-league, can be very good and the game is all the better for it. Leamington and Darlington’s atrocious surfaces are the exception not the rule.

Much better than the mud-baths Old Git was referring to.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:01 pm

My opinion wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I watched a fair few games in the late 60's and all the way through the 70's. You are correct about the football pitches being so much better. However, I can't agree with you about the play acting, players couldn't get away with it then.. Ask anyone who watched their team get kicked off the park by Leeds United in the 70's. They got away with dirty play continually, (I suppose you could call that cheating) fouling meant nothing to the referees and I don't remember any pretending to get injured to stop play. Again, go back to the late 50's when it was OK to barge a goalkeeper over the goal line when they were comfortably holding the ball. No play acting was done then either and anyone trying it would have been ignored by the referee and the game would just carried on.
We’ll agree to disagree. As I say, when watching the games back, there is diving and intimidation of the referees and so on. I do think a lot of people who are nostalgic for that era can forget that.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:05 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:51 pm
Darlogramps wrote:

Southport have Everton pay them about £5k a game, use their ground staff do maintenance and they also paid for the pitch to be completely relaid the other season. Boreham Wood got a hybrid pitch which was equivalent to the Emirates paid for by Arsenal.
Never realised curZon hosted burnley reserves, no wonder they can get by on crowds the size of shildons in conf north
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Darlopj

Post by Darlopj » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:14 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:01 pm
My opinion wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

We’ll agree to disagree. As I say, when watching the games back, there is diving and intimidation of the referees and so on. I do think a lot of people who are nostalgic for that era can forget that.
One name springs to mind. Franny Lee. Which reminds me of the punch up between him and Norman Hunter.

One of them got stitches in their lip. Somebody suggested they should have stitched them between upper and lower to shut them up!