Our rivals

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darloed19
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Our rivals

Post by darloed19 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:51 pm

If you had to pick our top 5 rivals who would it be?

I’m guessing:

1. Hartlepool
2. Spenny
3. West Auckland
4. Shildon
5. Salford

MB86DFC
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by MB86DFC » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:58 am

darloed19 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:51 pm
If you had to pick our top 5 rivals who would it be?

I’m guessing:

1. Hartlepool
2. Spenny
3. West Auckland
4. Shildon
5. Salford
Literally none of them

eddie-rowles
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:50 am

Hartlepool, York, Carlisle, Scarborough , Halifax rivals for re election

al_quaker
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by al_quaker » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:09 am

This thread is going to give a clue to posters ages isn't it :lol:

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13514
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:46 am

I thought it was an early attempt at an April Fools Joke. :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 718
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:57 am

Any club involved in the play off race.

Historically Hartlepool. Nobody else.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
TKOA
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:59 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Manchester

Re: Our rivals

Post by TKOA » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:58 am

1. Hartlepool United
2. Hartlepool United Reserves
3. Hartlepool United Academy
4. Hartlepool United Ladies
5. Hartlepool United again

Old Git
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by Old Git » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:01 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:46 am
I thought it was an early attempt at an April Fools Joke. :lol: :lol:
You could be right Pete because I sincerely hope we won’t be locking horns with West Auckland again.
For the record.
Spennymoor
Gateshead
York
Blyth
South Shields ( if they get promoted)

lo36789
Posts: 9964
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by lo36789 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:18 pm

Honestly feel more rivalry towards Peterborough than most of the teams listed there.

Fatty eats roadkill
Posts: 3650
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 7:31 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: On top of a 29 year old big chested woman

Re: Our rivals

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:38 pm

TKOA wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:58 am
1. Hartlepool United
2. Hartlepool United Reserves
3. Hartlepool United Academy
4. Hartlepool United Ladies
5. Hartlepool United again
Correct.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1207
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:57 pm

Puddle
York
Carlisle
Halifax
Scunny
Going back further Workington to replace Scunny and Gateshead to replace Halifax

User avatar
Lawman3
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:47 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by Lawman3 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:59 pm

I remember when Hartlepool were our rivals, but I don't get the continuing obsession with them. We've not played a meaningful competitive game against them since 2007. There is a generation of Darlo fans for whom the rivalry is meaningless.

Over the last 10 years Spennymoor are the obvious choice, but also throw in Blyth Spartans and York. We had a brief rivalry with Salford but that is long gone (until we hopefully meet them again on their way down).
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

User avatar
TKOA
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:59 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Manchester

Re: Our rivals

Post by TKOA » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:35 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:59 pm
I remember when Hartlepool were our rivals, but I don't get the continuing obsession with them. We've not played a meaningful competitive game against them since 2007. There is a generation of Darlo fans for whom the rivalry is meaningless.

Over the last 10 years Spennymoor are the obvious choice, but also throw in Blyth Spartans and York. We had a brief rivalry with Salford but that is long gone (until we hopefully meet them again on their way down).

We have played Hartlepool 147 times in 85 years. It’s going to take longer than 15 years for us to forget about our monkey hanging friends!

Their 3-0 win at the arena still haunts me more than any loss to Blyth, York or Salford ever did. I could see Spenny being considered a rival in the future if we stick around in the same division long enough. Let’s hope not.

AndyPark
Posts: 11801
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by AndyPark » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:36 pm

Hartlepool that is it, the rest are just a minor inconvenience.

Old Git
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by Old Git » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:55 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:36 pm
Hartlepool that is it, the rest are just a minor inconvenience.
Not much point having a rivalry with a team we never play. Might as well say Boro as they are our nearest geographical EFL team.
Forget Poolie until we are in the same league as them. Much more relevant to focus on the teams in our present league. As an earlier poster mentioned we have not played them for 15 years and we have a generation of fans who have never even seen us play them.

biccynana
Posts: 905
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by biccynana » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:31 pm

darloed19 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:51 pm
If you had to pick our top 5 rivals who would it be?

I’m guessing:

1. Hartlepool
2. Spenny
3. West Auckland
4. Shildon
5. Salford
West Auckland?! Because of one game nine seasons ago? You're kidding right? And how many times have we played Shildon? If you've included them because of geography then why not include the RA and Darlington Town?

Darlogramps
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Our rivals

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:41 pm

Old Git wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:36 pm
Hartlepool that is it, the rest are just a minor inconvenience.
Not much point having a rivalry with a team we never play. Might as well say Boro as they are our nearest geographical EFL team.
Forget Poolie until we are in the same league as them. Much more relevant to focus on the teams in our present league. As an earlier poster mentioned we have not played them for 15 years and we have a generation of fans who have never even seen us play them.
Disagree. Hartlepool are our only rival. You only have to see how excited people got when our reserve side played Pools’ kids in the Durham Challenge Cup a couple of years back to see what it means.

If we drew Pools in the FA Cup, it would be massive. At some point, we’ll end up playing Hartlepool again and it’ll be absolutely huge.

The idea that Gateshead or South Shields or Blyth in any way match our level of rivalry with Hartlepool is laughable. None of those sides are rivals. You can’t invent a rivalry purely because a side is vaguely in the same geographical region. It’s deeper than that.

It’s also pretty patronising to the younger fans to suggest they can’t understand Hartlepool are a rival. Parents tell them about it, they can dig out old clips on YouTube and so on. It’s pretty easy to find out what the rivalry means.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

darlo_baron
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:28 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by darlo_baron » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:23 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:41 pm
Old Git wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:36 pm
Hartlepool that is it, the rest are just a minor inconvenience.
Not much point having a rivalry with a team we never play. Might as well say Boro as they are our nearest geographical EFL team.
Forget Poolie until we are in the same league as them. Much more relevant to focus on the teams in our present league. As an earlier poster mentioned we have not played them for 15 years and we have a generation of fans who have never even seen us play them.
Disagree. Hartlepool are our only rival. You only have to see how excited people got when our reserve side drew Pools’ kids in the Durham Challenge Cup a couple of years back to see what it means.

If we drew Pools in the FA Cup, it would be massive. At some point, we’ll end playing Hartlepool and it’ll be absolutely huge.

The idea that Gateshead or South Shields or Blyth in any way match our level of rivalry with Hartlepool is laughable. None of those sides are rivals. You can’t invent a rivalry purely because a side is vaguely in the same region. It’s deeper than that.

It’s also pretty patronising to the younger fans to suggest they can’t understand Hartlepool are a rival. Parents tell them about it, they can dig out old clips on YouTube and so on. It’s pretty easy to find out what the rivalry means.
This.
Craig Liddle is God!!

Old Git
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by Old Git » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:19 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:41 pm
Old Git wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:36 pm
Hartlepool that is it, the rest are just a minor inconvenience.
Not much point having a rivalry with a team we never play. Might as well say Boro as they are our nearest geographical EFL team.
Forget Poolie until we are in the same league as them. Much more relevant to focus on the teams in our present league. As an earlier poster mentioned we have not played them for 15 years and we have a generation of fans who have never even seen us play them.
Disagree. Hartlepool are our only rival. You only have to see how excited people got when our reserve side played Pools’ kids in the Durham Challenge Cup a couple of years back to see what it means.

If we drew Pools in the FA Cup, it would be massive. At some point, we’ll end up playing Hartlepool again and it’ll be absolutely huge.

The idea that Gateshead or South Shields or Blyth in any way match our level of rivalry with Hartlepool is laughable. None of those sides are rivals. You can’t invent a rivalry purely because a side is vaguely in the same geographical region. It’s deeper than that.

It’s also pretty patronising to the younger fans to suggest they can’t understand Hartlepool are a rival. Parents tell them about it, they can dig out old clips on YouTube and so on. It’s pretty easy to find out what the rivalry means.
Yes of course Gramps you are right again as usual.As we speak youngsters all across the town are sitting at their laptops watching clips of our 5-2 victory against the old enemy and drooling over the grainy pictures of Alan Walsh’s 4 goal demolition of them.
I wish that was the case.

AndyPark
Posts: 11801
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by AndyPark » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:44 am

Nah those youngsters are watching clips like these.
https://youtu.be/OigcPE0exEw
https://youtu.be/4k9KzbSIxho

Pools will always be our rivals, first and foremost. Others are just locals games or inconveniences we face coming through the leagues.

Every Darlo fan and plenty of neutrals in the town would be absolutely buzzing when we play Pools again. Not if, but when.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Our rivals

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:58 am

Ah yes, the trademark Old Git exaggeration. You’ve tried to argue something a bit odd (that somehow South Shields or Gateshead or Blyth are our rivals). So rather than defend that you use a silly strawman

Answer me this then, if for a generation of young fans Darlington v Hartlepool means nothing, why when we played in the Durham Challenge Cup a couple of years ago did more than 1,700 turn up, many of whom were young fans?

You can’t argue the rivalry means nothing when 1,758 turn up for a DCC game.

And the point I’m making about YouTube is it’s not as if our previous matches against Pools have been consigned to history and you can’t find anything about them. Google, YouTube, social media, forums like this, word of mouth, all keeps the rivalry alive even though it’s been a while since we’ve played a senior game.

I’m sorry but as much as you’ve asserted Hartlepool mean nothing to us any more, I’m not seeing any evidence to support that.

The DCC game alone supports the idea that people still see Hartlepool as our rivals. You don’t get that with South Shields or Blyth or Gateshead.

Tell me this - when Gateshead beat us 3-1 over Christmas, did you or indeed anyone on this board feel upset about losing to them? Not at losing a match but the fact we’d lost to Gateshead? No, I doubt anyone did.

Yet I still remember how awful I felt when Pools dicked us 3-0 in 2007. I was still miserable the next day. That’s what a rivalry means.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by Old Git » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:06 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:58 am
Ah yes, the trademark Old Git exaggeration. You’ve tried to argue something a bit odd (that somehow South Shields or Gateshead or Blyth are our rivals). So rather than defend that you use a silly strawman

Answer me this then, if for a generation of young fans Darlington v Hartlepool means nothing, why when we played in the Durham Challenge Cup a couple of years ago did more than 1,700 turn up, many of whom were young fans?

You can’t argue the rivalry means nothing when 1,758 turn up for a DCC game.

And the point I’m making about YouTube is it’s not as if our previous matches against Pools have been consigned to history and you can’t find anything about them. Google, YouTube, social media, forums like this, word of mouth, all keeps the rivalry alive even though it’s been a while since we’ve played a senior game.

I’m sorry but as much as you’ve asserted Hartlepool mean nothing to us any more, I’m not seeing any evidence to support that.

The DCC game alone supports the idea that people still see Hartlepool as our rivals. You don’t get that with South Shields or Blyth or Gateshead.

Tell me this - when Gateshead beat us 3-1 over Christmas, did you or indeed anyone on this board feel upset about losing to them? Not at losing a match but the fact we’d lost to Gateshead? No, I doubt anyone did.

Yet I still remember how awful I felt when Pools dicked us 3-0 in 2007. I was still miserable the next day. That’s what a rivalry means.
Sadly a big part of the interest in the DCC match a few years ago was because every idiot in the town thought it would probably provide an opportunity for a bit of aggro. The very reason why I and other fans I know gave it a swerve.
If that is what you are referring to by rivalry then you are correct. I was referring to our current local rivals not ancient history that has little relevance to our present situation.

al_quaker
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by al_quaker » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:35 am

Old Git wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:06 am
I was referring to our current local rivals not ancient history that has little relevance to our present situation.
By that logic, it could be argued that Newcastle and Sunderland aren't rivals

Darlogramps
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Our rivals

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:07 am

Old Git wrote: Sadly a big part of the interest in the DCC match a few years ago was because every idiot in the town thought it would probably provide an opportunity for a bit of aggro. The very reason why I and other fans I know gave it a swerve. .
Sadly you’re deliberately missing the point. A big reason 1700+ turned out was because we were playing Hartlepool. And from the people who were there, they’ve said the atmosphere was one of the best we’ve had moving back to the town.

And despite your weird argument, the 1600 or so Darlo fans there didn’t turn up for a fight.

They turned up because it was the first chance in more than a decade to see us face our biggest rivals, even in a meaningless competition.

1758 in the DCC. If it was a league or FA Cup game, we’d sell out in minutes. That’s how much the rivalry means to the fanbase.

Old Git wrote:
If that is what you are referring to by rivalry then you are correct. I was referring to our current local rivals not ancient history that has little relevance to our present situation.
History and tradition are all part of rivalry. Our rivalry with Hartlepool goes back more than a century, and means loads to our fanbase, including the younger fans who turned up to the 2019 DCC match.

If you don’t understand the importance of history and tradition in football, then you need to start educating yourself.

As for Gateshead, Blyth and South Shields, they are neither local nor rivals. It is funny you’re clutching at straws by trying to claim they are.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by Old Git » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:54 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:07 am
Old Git wrote: Sadly a big part of the interest in the DCC match a few years ago was because every idiot in the town thought it would probably provide an opportunity for a bit of aggro. The very reason why I and other fans I know gave it a swerve. .
Sadly you’re deliberately missing the point. A big reason 1700+ turned out was because we were playing Hartlepool. And from the people who were there, they’ve said the atmosphere was one of the best we’ve had moving back to the town.

And despite your weird argument, the 1600 or so Darlo fans there didn’t turn up for a fight.

They turned up because it was the first chance in more than a decade to see us face our biggest rivals, even in a meaningless competition.

1758 in the DCC. If it was a league or FA Cup game, we’d sell out in minutes. That’s how much the rivalry means to the fanbase.

Old Git wrote:
If that is what you are referring to by rivalry then you are correct. I was referring to our current local rivals not ancient history that has little relevance to our present situation.
History and tradition are all part of rivalry. Our rivalry with Hartlepool goes back more than a century, and means loads to our fanbase, including the younger fans who turned up to the 2019 DCC match.

If you don’t understand the importance of history and tradition in football, then you need to start educating yourself.

As for Gateshead, Blyth and South Shields, they are neither local nor rivals. It is funny you’re clutching at straws by trying to claim they are.
I certainly did not say that 1600 Darlington fans turned up for a fight. You accuse me of exaggeration and then pull out one of your own. I actually said every idiot in the town saw it as an opportunity for a bit of aggro, that is vastly different from saying all the Darlo fans at the game were looking for trouble. For me the idiots that turn up looking for trouble on these occasions are certainly not Darlington supporters.
As for Gateshead Blyth and South Shields they play at or near our level and are relatively local and therefore do quality as local rivals in my opinion. You can have a different opinion that is up you.

Fatty eats roadkill
Posts: 3650
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 7:31 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: On top of a 29 year old big chested woman

Re: Our rivals

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:27 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:54 am
[quote=Darlogramps post_id=483973 time=<a href="tel:1648897666">1648897666</a> user_id=1218]
Old Git wrote: Sadly a big part of the interest in the DCC match a few years ago was because every idiot in the town thought it would probably provide an opportunity for a bit of aggro. The very reason why I and other fans I know gave it a swerve. .
Sadly you’re deliberately missing the point. A big reason 1700+ turned out was because we were playing Hartlepool. And from the people who were there, they’ve said the atmosphere was one of the best we’ve had moving back to the town.

And despite your weird argument, the 1600 or so Darlo fans there didn’t turn up for a fight.

They turned up because it was the first chance in more than a decade to see us face our biggest rivals, even in a meaningless competition.

1758 in the DCC. If it was a league or FA Cup game, we’d sell out in minutes. That’s how much the rivalry means to the fanbase.

Old Git wrote:
If that is what you are referring to by rivalry then you are correct. I was referring to our current local rivals not ancient history that has little relevance to our present situation.
History and tradition are all part of rivalry. Our rivalry with Hartlepool goes back more than a century, and means loads to our fanbase, including the younger fans who turned up to the 2019 DCC match.

If you don’t understand the importance of history and tradition in football, then you need to start educating yourself.

As for Gateshead, Blyth and South Shields, they are neither local nor rivals. It is funny you’re clutching at straws by trying to claim they are.
I certainly did not say that 1600 Darlington fans turned up for a fight. You accuse me of exaggeration and then pull out one of your own. I actually said every idiot in the town saw it as an opportunity for a bit of aggro, that is vastly different from saying all the Darlo fans at the game were looking for trouble. For me the idiots that turn up looking for trouble on these occasions are certainly not Darlington supporters.
As for Gateshead Blyth and South Shields they play at or near our level and are relatively local and therefore do quality as local rivals in my opinion. You can have a different opinion that is up you.
[/quote]

Those you’ve mentioned are 12 points in a season rivals.
No one gives a s*** about them.
Mention Shitelepoo and ears prick up, the 3-0 dicking comes straight to mind and how we need to stuff them in the manner they took the piss out of us that day, and the massive expectation and excitement of the game ahead is felt.
I have not had a single feeling like it since we last played them.
TKOA, Andy Park and Gramps are 100 % correct.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Darlogramps
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Our rivals

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:28 pm

Old Git wrote:
I certainly did not say that 1600 Darlington fans turned up for a fight. You accuse me of exaggeration and then pull out one of your own. I actually said every idiot in the town saw it as an opportunity for a bit of aggro, that is vastly different from saying all the Darlo fans at the game were looking for trouble. For me the idiots that turn up looking for trouble on these occasions are certainly not Darlington supporters.
How bad was the fighting and hooliganism at that game, given you’re making such a big deal of it?

And you’re refusing to recognise the point I’m making. A massive crowd turned out to see us play Hartlepool. 1700 turned up to see us play them in the meaningless Durham Challenge Cup. That proves it’s still our main rivalry.
Old Git wrote: As for Gateshead Blyth and South Shields they play at or near our level and are relatively local and therefore do quality as local rivals in my opinion. You can have a different opinion that is up you.
Is that all that qualifies as a rivalry to you? Geography? It’s 1 hour 10 mins to get to Blyth from Darlo. It’s 1 hour 15 to get to Guiseley. Why aren’t you classing them as rivals?

I’m sorry but rivalry is way more than travelling distance. It’s about history, passion, a burning desire to beat Hartlepool because we won’t hear the end of it we lose. It just matters more because of who they are. It’s fans hammering each other in the workplace or the pub because they’ve beaten their rivals.

We get none of that with Gateshead and Blyth. And we haven’t played South Shields since 2017 (which undermines and contradicts your argument because we’ve played Pools since then).

And you’ve dodged my question on defeats. When we lost to Gateshead, were you gutted we’d lost to them? As in losing to Gateshead made you feel hurt and pained and embarrassed to have lost to that specific club.

I didn’t feel that, I suspect there isn’t a single Darlington fan who felt that. Compare that to 2007 when Hartlepool beat us. That seriously hurt, as TKOA and Fatty have said.

You can be entitled to your opinion. But it’s a opinion that’s very wrong and hardly anyone else in this thread agrees with.

We have one rival - Hartlepool United. End of.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by Old Git » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:40 pm

Every defeat hurts me regardless of who it is against. Time to live in the present not the past and leave this obsession with Hartlepool on the shelf of history.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Our rivals

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:51 pm

Old Git wrote:Every defeat hurts me regardless of who it is against. Time to live in the present not the past and leave this obsession with Hartlepool on the shelf of history.
Bless you, that’s all you’ve got left. I’ve broken and beaten you in this argument, given you won’t answer the points I’ve made. There is no obsession, only a rivalry that’s existed for decades and decades, and will continue to exist long after you and I have shuffled off this mortal coil.

You’ve tried to argue Hartlepool means nothing, yet 1700+ turned up when we played them three years ago in a meaningless competition. You won’t even acknowledge this, instead waffling on about hooliganism (which didn’t really happen anyway).

You tried to argue it means nothing to young fans, yet I’ve pointed they’re as motivated by the rivalry as anyone because the DCC game and the online access to past matches.

The only thing to leave on the shelf of history is your desperate opinion that somehow playing Gateshead or Blyth or South Shields is a big rivalry (which you can’t and won’t provide any justification for anyway).

You need to accept the fact you’re wrong, and Hartlepool United are Darlington’s biggest rival to the overwhelming majority of the fanbase, and will continue to be so. Coming out with embarrassing lines like “Every defeat hurts me regardless of who it’s against” is just cringeworthy.

It’s also pretty hypocritical of you to demand your opinion gets respected, but to accuse anyone who disagrees with you of being “obsessed” and of living in the past.

Anyway, here’s to three points against Leamington today.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Our rivals

Post by Old Git » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:26 pm

I can hardly find the energy to reply as I have been so broken and beaten by you. You really are a beast 😢😢😢

Post Reply