Darlington FC Hall of Fame

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DFCSG_Secretary
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington FC Hall of Fame

Post by DFCSG_Secretary » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:42 pm

Calling all Darlo Fans aged 65 or older - we need your help!
On 26th March, the DAFTS (‘Darlington Away Far Travelling Supporters’) launched the start of a project to create a Darlington Football Club Hall of Fame.

This will be a physical and virtual display commemorating former players and officials of Darlington Football Club who deserve such recognition for their outstanding contributions to the fortunes of the Club.

Initially, this will be a five-year project carried out in discrete phases with the intention of populating the Hall of Fame with inductees from the Club’s formation in 1883, right through to current times.

The ‘Hall of Fame’ project is sponsored by DAFTS with support from DFCSG.

The first phase of Hall of Fame will be specifically looking for potential inductees that were associated with the Club from season 1960-61 through to season 1969-70 – hence the call for help from those aged 65 or older!

So, if you have memories of the 1960s, we need you to step forward and nominate your Darlo heroes from that era by completing a simple online form. The closing date for nominations isn’t until Monday 25th April, so you have plenty of time to ponder and discuss your past heroes with your cohorts.

For full details on how to submit your nominations go to https://yourclub.darlingtonfc.co.uk/dfc ... -6061-6970

If you are too young to remember the Darlo players of the 60s, don’t worry, we will move on to your era soon enough. Meanwhile, if you have friends and relatives who were Darlo supporters during the 60s, you can still get involved by discussing ‘Hall of Fame’ with them and encouraging them to nominate their heroes of the day and if they don’t happen to be technology-savvy, you could always submit a nomination on their behalf (every fan is permitted to submit a maximum of two nominations).

DFCSG_Secretary

Re: Darlington FC Hall of Fame

Post by DFCSG_Secretary » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:01 pm

There is a minor glitch on the form. After you have submitted your first entry, you either have to refresh the page or close the page down and revisit it to access a new blank form.

Henley

Post by Henley » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:58 pm

If we’re talking of those still living, Smudger and Lidds should be first in.

Gabbiadini can follow but he can wait for his shithousery.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:48 am

Henley wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:58 pm

We are not talking of those still living but of players from the 1960s era. Other players from more recent times will get their chance to be nominated at a later date.
As for Gabbiadini and his shithousery, as you so eloquently put it, I have it from a good friend of his that he arranged to meet Reynolds on three occasions to discuss a new contract and on each occasion Reynolds cancelled the meeting. Gabbiadini was keen to stay at Darlington and was not asking for ridiculous money, but he became disillusioned and signed for Northampton as a result of being messed about by Reynolds. Ironically, he got offered a lot more money by Northampton, but that was not his main motivation for leaving.
Back to the point. Ron Greener and John Peverall for me as nominees for the 1960s Hall of Fame. Both great servants playing over 400 games and part of the promotion winning team of the era.

Will win

Post by Will win » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:16 am

What about nominees from those old enough to remember vividly the 1950’s and even before? I started watching in 1949.As youmention 1883 onwards do you intend to induct at some point nominees from the archives

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:28 am

Obviously Ron Greener will be added. Beyond that era Alan Walsh, Brian Little (manager), Dave Hodgson (manager), Craig Liddle, Neil Wainwright, Martin Gray (as player and manager), Ian Miller, Alan White, Liam Hatch, Stephen Thompson, Gary Brown, Chris Senior (for that goal! ;)) and maybe in time Alun Armstrong... :thumbup:

Most names for me will be coming from squads 1999 onwards. I would assume players like Arthur Wharton will be inducted too.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:48 am

Three guesses who I wish to nominate? :D :roll:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:51 am

How big is this Hall of Fame going to be? There should be a whole wing dedicated to goalkeepers! From 1960's onwards we have had some stars e.g. long serving Tony Moor, Darlo born Jeff Wealand, Alan Ogley, legendary Martin Burleigh

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:12 am

Long before my time, but I'm guessing the football-playing Dentist Lance Robson would be on the list.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:51 pm

At first glance I read this to be "Hall of Shame" :)

I can think of a few nominees to put in that bracket, mainly previous owners and chairmen.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:36 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:51 pm
At first glance I read this to be "Hall of Shame" :)

I can think of a few nominees to put in that bracket, mainly previous owners and chairmen.
Be quite a task picking out the No.1 though. :roll:

Earl_Lee_Dawes

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:45 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:12 am
Long before my time, but I'm guessing the football-playing Dentist Lance Robson would be on the list.
Got to be Lance!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:06 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
Before my time too, but I remember a couple of joiners from Darlington who were working at the same place as me in 87 - they used to talk of Lance Robson, and how he worked as a dentist as well as playing footy.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:38 pm

Earl_Lee_Dawes wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:45 pm
Lawman3 wrote:
Got to be Lance!
Yes, even did extractions on the pitch when ref not looking. Also had an E-type Jag in pale lemon with leopard skin fabric seatcovers. Pure old style CF & knocked a lot of goals in & a few teeth out.

Henley

Post by Henley » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:16 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:48 am
Henley wrote:

As for Gabbiadini and his shithousery, as you so eloquently put it, I have it from a good friend of his that he arranged to meet Reynolds on three occasions to discuss a new contract and on each occasion Reynolds cancelled the meeting. Gabbiadini was keen to stay at Darlington and was not asking for ridiculous money, but he became disillusioned and signed for Northampton as a result of being messed about by Reynolds. Ironically, he got offered a lot more money by Northampton, but that was not his main motivation for leaving.
That wasn’t the act of shithousery.

Training with Darlo before signing for The Bash Street Kids was the act of shithousery.

johninskopje

Post by johninskopje » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:58 pm

John Peverell Les O'Neill and George McGeachie for me. Pev did painting and decorating in his spare time to add to what little Darlo paid, he was a Haughton lad.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:02 pm

johninskopje wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:58 pm
John Peverell Les O'Neill and George McGeachie for me. Pev did painting and decorating in his spare time to add to what little Darlo paid, he was a Haughton lad.
Yet Pev turned down a transfer to Spuds because they only offered him a tenner more than we were paying and the cost of living in London would have been more.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:14 am

Ron Greener & John Peverell have already been immortalised in street names on that pretentious housing development that now covers our old pitch Feethams. Think either of them would have happily given up that "honour" if the club had stayed there.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:46 pm

Henley wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:16 pm
Old Git wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:48 am
Henley wrote:

That wasn’t the act of shithousery.

Training with Darlo before signing for The Bash Street Kids was the act of shithousery.
Gabbiadini was a brilliant player to watch when he played for us. In the second half of his first season and the first half of his second season he was amazing and worth the entry fee alone. What disappoints me now about him is that he doesn't seem to cherish the time he spent with us, he seems to give out the impression that it wasn't really that important to him. Just my opinion.....
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!