Tommy Taylor signs new deal

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Tommy Taylor signs new deal

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:19 am

Has signed a contract for two years which is a big positive for us.

He’s sorted what had been a really problematic position and given he’s only 29 (fairly young for a keeper) there’s plenty more to come from him.

Best permanent keeper for us since Adam Bartlett left in 2017, and Taylor definitely has the potential to play higher.

That’s Taylor, Wheater and I think Moke as well already signed up for next season.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

e4sby

Re: Tommy Taylor signs new deal

Post by e4sby » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:37 am

Massive news, interesting he took a pay cut in the summer to join us.

Ray won't be happy TT announced the length of contract as well... poor Ray will be gutted the masses know!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:20 am

Great news - biggest compliment I can give him is I never worry about him, which couldn't have been said for many keepers we've had since getting back to the National North!

Lawlor next please!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:30 am

e4sby, what's your beef with ray the guy has done more for Darlington FC than most.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:38 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:19 am

He’s sorted what had been a really problematic position and given he’s only 29 (fairly young for a keeper) there’s plenty more to come from him.

Best permanent keeper for us since Adam Bartlett left in 2017, and Taylor definitely has the potential to play higher.

That’s Taylor, Wheater and I think Moke as well already signed up for next season.
Did Moke sign for next season when he initially joined us then as I don't recall seeing anything recently? Then again I am getting old.....er! Great news
about TT.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:42 am

al_quaker wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:20 am
Great news - biggest compliment I can give him is I never worry about him, which couldn't have been said for many keepers we've had since getting back to the National North!

Lawlor next please!
Totally agree. He's by far the best keeper we've had in a few years now. Everyone who followed Jameson/Bartlett has been deficient until now. Getting him tied down is great news.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:47 am

onewayup wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:30 am
e4sby, what's your beef with ray the guy has done more for Darlington FC than most.
No beef at all with Ray, I just think the media side of things would be much improved if he let someone younger help with interviews.

It's the small things of reporting/asking questions about injuries/contract length etc - it's almost like a secret he likes to smugly keep for himself.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:49 am

This really is great news. To have a quality goalkeeper on board for the next 2 years is a massive boost for next season. I have heard that he has been attracting some attention from other teams, but hopefully he will be with us for a good while to come.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:52 am

e4sby wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:47 am
It's the small things of reporting/asking questions about injuries/contract length etc - it's almost like a secret he likes to smugly keep for himself.
Or it's stuff the club don't want to be public.

He asks questions, gets answers, tapes it and then publishes the recording.

The main criticism of Ray from others has been he's possibly a bit too friendly in his questioning when times are tough - given he is the clubs media officer not independent media I am not sure that criticism would ever go away completely.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:13 am

bga wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:19 am

Did Moke sign for next season when he initially joined us then as I don't recall seeing anything recently? Then again I am getting old.....er! Great news
about TT.
I think when he initially signed it was until the end of next season, but wasn’t announced by the club.

Darlo_CR has always been very reliable and said on the Wheater thread last week that Moke was signed up for the 22/23 campaign as well.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:16 pm

e4sby wrote:
onewayup wrote:
No beef at all with Ray, I just think the media side of things would be much improved if he let someone younger help with interviews.

What does his age have to do with it?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:28 pm

I know that ray works his socks off for the good of the club he is committed to, I also know that most of the work he does goes unnoticed because that's how he conducts it, he doesn't overshadow or complicate a task that he has done, I personally like the guy ,no nonsense straight to the point when needed, so e4bsy ,can you elaborate, is it just an age thing that you have against the guy , I really cannot see your point.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:15 pm

I'm a bit surprised at the Ray comments. I've always found him quickly responsive to any emails I've sent with suggestions. He's part of the club so he's hardly likely to be difficult with interviewees. I'd expect that from the red tops or any other outside agency but not from our own media. I've noticed every week there's a full update on injuries and who is out on loan in the match review. Not quite sure what you're asking for.....

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:42 pm

I like Ray. I think he's more "onboard" now because of the way that the club is set up, but I'm sure he used dig a bit deeper when things in the past were different and we had a different ownership structure.

I think Ray is more than a journalist - he is a fan too and because of this he can see the bigger picture.

In the main DFC runs along quite harmoniously, this is a good thing and Ray (to me) fits the bill. :thumbup:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:33 pm

Can't we just be happy to have secured TT for the next 2 years. He has saved us loads of points, but would it be too risky to let him take the penalties in future? Now that's a question for Ray to ask & another is "what about a site for a new ground?"

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:00 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:52 am
e4sby wrote:

The main criticism of Ray from others has been he's possibly a bit too friendly in his questioning when times are tough - given he is the clubs media officer not independent media I am not sure that criticism would ever go away completely.
e4sby is right.

It was announced on social media by Chris Stockdale that Moke was contracted for the 22/23 season, so why was this not included in the article?

This is clearly something which the club did not mind being disclosed. It is so very basic yet it's important and keeps fans engaged and informed.

Again, both Tommy Taylor and Alun mentioned it was a 2-year contract in their respective interviews, so why wasn't this in the article either? What if you didn't listen to the interviews?

The ironic thing is, fans will contribute a third of the playing budget yet won't be told some very basic player recruitment matters, which is actually very important.

We shouldn't be drip-fed information through social media and forum comments by people connected to the club. The article should be clear, it's really that simple.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:16 am

darlo2001uk wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:16 pm
e4sby wrote:
onewayup wrote:

What does his age have to do with it?
Nothing, Ray won't be around forever and think the club's media side of things would benefit from someone with fresh ideas
onewayup wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:28 pm
I know that ray works his socks off for the good of the club he is committed to, I also know that most of the work he does goes unnoticed because that's how he conducts it, he doesn't overshadow or complicate a task that he has done, I personally like the guy ,no nonsense straight to the point when needed, so e4bsy ,can you elaborate, is it just an age thing that you have against the guy , I really cannot see your point.
I've not said he doesn't work his socks off, I believe he does keep certain pieces of information back that he could easily put in his articles but for one reason or another doesn't seem to do so, look at Chris Stockdale confirming Moke had signed for next season... Like I said above its certainly not an age thing i just think the club would benefit from fresh ideas, different interview questions, basic information in articles - instead of the same old...

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:22 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:00 am
lo36789 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:52 am
e4sby wrote:

e4sby is right.

It was announced on social media by Chris Stockdale that Moke was contracted for the 22/23 season, so why was this not included in the article?

This is clearly something which the club did not mind being disclosed. It is so very basic yet it's important and keeps fans engaged and informed.

Again, both Tommy Taylor and Alun mentioned it was a 2-year contract in their respective interviews, so why wasn't this in the article either? What if you didn't listen to the interviews?

The ironic thing is, fans will contribute a third of the playing budget yet won't be told some very basic player recruitment matters, which is actually very important.

We shouldn't be drip-fed information through social media and forum comments by people connected to the club. The article should be clear, it's really that simple.
Reality is you will never get the answer from here.

I'm not convinced there is much of an agenda associated with it? The idea of secrets being withheld by smug Ray for a deliberate drip-feed of information by the club - knowing it will annoy fans.

Oversight, or just an editing decision - whatever it was...the answer can only come from the person who wrote it.