Darlington V Curzon Ashton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:30 pm

3 points please.

darloed19

Re: Darlington V Curzon Ashton

Post by darloed19 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:38 am

Darlo 1-0 big Kev up the quaks! 🤍🖤🤍🖤

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:06 am

Feels like the biggest game in ages, doesn’t it?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:36 am

Let's hope that this game attracts the biggest crowd of the season with something to play for it might get a few more interested, and bolster the team in the last few games, ever hopeful, :thumbup:

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:08 am

We simply cannot afford to slip up today, the margin for error is now next to zero and that goes for all teams in the chasing pack.

On paper it might seem like a home banker but no doubt Kettering thought the same about Guiseley on Tuesday night and look what happened there, the onus is very much on us and we can't afford complacency with two more difficult games coming up against the top two next week anything other than three points this afternoon is unthinkable, no pressure or owt!

There might be a larger than usual crowd there today and they'll no doubt be expectant, the lads have to make sure they play the game and not the occasion. We can't control what happens elsewhere we just need to make sure we do what we need to do and keep our hand in when we make the short trip up the road to Gateshead on Monday.

Hopefully come 5pm today we've got the right result and results elsewhere have gone for us.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:00 pm

This could be a very tricky game today,they are on a poor run and will be up for this game with a large crowd expected.We have to start taking our chances and not make games tougher than they should be.Not bothered how we play as long as it's 3 points and onto Gateshead on Monday.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:31 pm

Looks like a good crowd, even Hutchy has made a rare appearance!!.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:54 pm

Well that was a forgettable half, nothing really offered up front so far. Tommy Taylor should have done better with their goal. Let's hope for a fightback in the second half, because if we lose this then we have to win at Gateshead. Alun's decision to rest key players could spectacularly fail.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:03 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Well that was a forgettable half, nothing really offered up front so far. Tommy Taylor should have done better with their goal. Let's hope for a fightback in the second half, because if we lose this then we have to win at Gateshead. Alun's decision to rest key players could spectacularly fail.
Why no Lambert or Tyrone on the bench.Unless they are carrying injuries this is a mistake by AA imo.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:32 pm

Can’t watch anymore 2 down going home

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:16 pm

Full credit for keeping our season alive over the last 10 games or so, but wasn’t expecting that today.

Or was I ?

Big crowd, some expectancy and opposition who simply battled, closed us down and stopped us playing our touchy feely football. Whenever these happen we rarely perform and so it was today.

Awful but worst of all, outbattled by a team who hadn’t won for 7 and their season was over.
No excuses, that was unforgivable. Yes the pitch doesn’t help and even rumours of covid affecting the squad but to be second best to nearly every ball and our first on target shot in 94 minute was unacceptable.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:23 pm

Very poor game, never competed, players looked like they have signed contracts for next year and now thinking of there holidays. Never troubled there keeper, and he fluffed a few balls that came across. Interested to hear what AA has to say after that. I was so confident over this weekend I had a double on us winning both games this easter😕.. I was confident for next season with the squad but think we will still come up short as team seems to lack physical and mental strength at times, (although there is some skill there for certain).

Oh well excitement over, as most teams just above and below us won.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:33 pm

Strange lack of atmosphere today even with a bigger than normal crowd in attendance. It felt like an end of season game with nothing to play for, except that there was plenty to play for. Hard to offer any excuses, just an off day and we need to pick ourselves up quickly for Monday, or we will face a torrid time against Gateshead. We are Darlo so expect the unexpected.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:39 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:03 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:Well that was a forgettable half, nothing really offered up front so far. Tommy Taylor should have done better with their goal. Let's hope for a fightback in the second half, because if we lose this then we have to win at Gateshead. Alun's decision to rest key players could spectacularly fail.
Why no Lambert or Tyrone on the bench.Unless they are carrying injuries this is a mistake by AA imo.

Spot on. We should have played our best XI today & bagged the 3 points then any crumb we might get at Gateshead would be an unexpected bonus.

As it was, 1800+ fans left totally disappointed by a sad team performance against a very ordinary side that lost their last home game 0-4. No spirit, no bite no attacks, no playoffs.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:54 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:03 pm

Tyrone injured.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:05 pm

A ver poor second today.curson were a half yard faster and wanted the win more.we deserved what we go absolutely nothing.
Poor all over the pitch today one shot on target in the 91st minute says it all.
Alun will of course blame the rock hard pitch but it was the same both teams.
Darlington just weren't at it today.
5 people extra who say they shouldn't have come .been better staying in the pub.
ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING. BYE BYE PLAYOFFS

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:21 pm

We are Darlo we always blow it at home with a big crowd.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:24 pm

I think the team just didn't believe in themselves enough to give it a go today.
Curzon were not a good team but today Darlington FC were worse than the beginning of the season. I certainly expected better from the team .but should really know better, a chance of a playoff spot a bigger than usual crowd then the proverbial big let down. Time and again Darlington blow it by not competing.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:31 pm

I think we should be a bit more realistic about todays game - which I didn't see - but we have no divine right to beat Curzon and we've done so well to get into a position where the result really mattered. Gateshead scored six today but I agree that it would be predictable for us to get a result there; I'm going for 1-0 to Quakers then it's all to play for again.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:49 pm

That was ******* ****

Wainy247

Post by Wainy247 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:15 pm

Midway through the second half we had a free kick in their half, on the right side. Hedley was about to take it and everyone was in the box. I pointed about 20 yards beyond the far post to the chap standing next to me and said 'They need to put someone there, because that's where it's going to go.' And it did, straight out for a goal kick.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:19 pm

I heard people saying there were too many changes and we should not rotate. But a lot of this was forced on us. Lambert has a foot injury and maybe also wont be able to feature on Monday, Rose wasn't fit enough following his injury, as with Wheater and Thompson is just coming back from injury and not ready for a full game..

We were just flat right across the board, never really got going and made mistakes constantly. They also did a job on us and closed us down quickly when we had the ball and maintained their energy levels from start to finish. They were far from the out-of-form, dispirited mob some people were expecting and seemed very well organised.

But we lost it mainly because our standards slipped badly after our fantastic run and we never really got out of first gear. Most of our players were below par and the result is inevitable when so many play poorly.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:03 pm

Wiseacre,had you been there your opinion would have been very different.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:54 pm

Whenever we do get a promotion to the National League it will be welcome to finally be at a level once more where we aren't routinely beaten by Curzon Ashton :roll:

Has any team beaten us more in the past 10 years than them?

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:02 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:31 pm
I think we should be a bit more realistic about todays game - which I didn't see - but we have no divine right to beat Curzon and we've done so well to get into a position where the result really mattered. Gateshead scored six today but I agree that it would be predictable for us to get a result there; I'm going for 1-0 to Quakers then it's all to play for again.
If we don't have a divine right to beat Curzon who had been in such poor form coming into today's match why is it suddenly "predictable" for us to beat a superior Gateshead side who are top of the league? The fact you make this assertion having not seen today's match makes it all the more absurd, your comments are utterly baseless.

I now believe the current top seven will be the top seven, although mathematically we're still not out of it today's defeat was damaging to say the least also true to from results elsewhere went against us so our fate, even if by some miracle we beat Gateshead on Monday, is not in our hands. We were woeful today, it felt more like a pre-season friendly with nothing riding on it than it did an important match that we we needed to win to keep in touch with the play-offs we were toothless and inept through out.

There was no energy, no enthusiasm, no desire no nothing you wouldn't have known which team came in on the back of a seven game winless run and which team had been on such a great run only losing once in the last eleven. Even at 1-0 Curzon never looked in any real danger, the substitutions made very little difference. I can handle losing, but the tame manner in which we surrendered at home in front of a decent crowd was nothing short of infuriating they didn't get out of second gear and nor did they need to.

The only real highlight today was the game being paused cause some shite had been found on the pitch which was somewhat ironic given our display today.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:47 am

Darlington will only make the playoffs by default of the teams around them slipping up ,I cannot see us making the top seven ,I would love to be proved wrong on this but I can't see it ,however let's hope, it's all we have, miracles do happen now and again.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:08 am

onewayup wrote:Darlington will only make the playoffs by default of the teams around them slipping up ,I cannot see us making the top seven ,I would love to be proved wrong on this but I can't see it ,however let's hope, it's all we have, miracles do happen now and again.
Have to beat Gateshead simple as that.Nice surface to play on so will suit our passing game, If we can get Wheater,Rose and Lambert back in the starting eleven plus Thompson, you just never know.Wouldn't put it past us to pull off a shock result here.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:30 am

To beat gateshead Darlington need to be 200% better than Friday's debacle.,otherwise same as Friday and a spanking ,

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:44 am

quaker4life wrote:
Wiseacre wrote:
If we don't have a divine right to beat Curzon who had been in such poor form coming into today's match why is it suddenly "predictable" for us to beat a superior Gateshead side who are top of the league? The fact you make this assertion having not seen today's match makes it all the more absurd, your comments are utterly baseless.
You’re overreacting a bit here. I think what Wiseacre is saying is that it would very typical of us to play shockingly against an out-of-form Curzon Ashton, but to then go and get a result against league leaders.

And to be fair, that would be typical us.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:30 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:44 am
quaker4life wrote:
Wiseacre wrote:
You’re overreacting a bit here. I think what Wiseacre is saying is that it would very typical of us to play shockingly against an out-of-form Curzon Ashton, but to then go and get a result against league leaders.

And to be fair, that would be typical us.
It was the fact wiseacre made that comment despite having not seen yesterday's game (and I honestly wish I could say the same) which irked me, it was more blind optimism than backed up by an informed opinion but to be fair I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still fuming over our no show yesterday when I commented.

For me yesterday was much more "typical Darlo" at home in front of a bigger than usual crowd against a side who had been on a poor run of form losing five out of their last seven and we made a complete pigs ear of it. If it's any comfort though, win, lose or draw on Monday I don't think we could possibly turn in a worse performance against Gateshead than we did against Curzon yesterday and hopefully we'll see the likes of Danny Rose and Jack Lambert back in the fold.

I'm looking forward to the day out more than the match itself at this stage. :lol: