Gateshead v Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bga
Team Supported: Darlington

Gateshead v Darlington

Post by bga » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:14 pm

I am surprised Darlo Pete has not posted anything yet about the Club not keeping us informed there is a game today!

Here is team
https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/gateshe ... -updates-1

QUAKERMAN2

Re: Gateshead v Darlington

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:28 pm

No Cassidy....interesting.Presumably Tyrone still injured.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

bga

Post by bga » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:42 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:28 pm
No Cassidy....interesting.Presumably Tyrone still injured.

Don't presume anything! Cassidy ill according to Club site yesterday.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:08 pm

Already 1-0 up. Winning this would be the most ‘typical darlo’ thing ever after *that* performance on Friday

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:11 pm

Brilliant goal loads of Darlo fans here. Trouble on the metro on the way to the game. I got in for nowt, haha.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:20 pm

As I predicted, but can we hold out - never give up on the Quakers (remember what makes you happy) c. George Benson.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:51 pm

2-0 at half time. They’re going to drag this out and make it painful on the last day, aren’t they?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:03 pm

Brilliant first half, reckon there are 700 to 800 Darlo fans at the game. Great to hear Gateshead booed off the pitch at HT.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:44 pm

It's the hope that kills you.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:58 pm

A game of 2 halfs.
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:00 pm

In a way, maybe I prefer being dead and buried rather than us dragging it to an implausible last day scenario.

There's plenty of stuff to work on for next season, but with a little consistency and a squad in place from the start of the season, there's no reason we can't have a playoff run next year.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:05 pm

Today was always going to be tough.

They are the best side in the division and they are fighting for the title. Sounds like a good first half but then just showed their quality in the second expecially once they got their tails up.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:13 pm

Injuries have killed us at the wrong time this season. With a full bench we would have won that game.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:16 pm

Sounds to me like we're running on fumes a bit at the minute. Wheater and Ellis with knocks, and missing three of our strikers meaning we had nobody to turn to to hold the ball up. The momentum was killed at alfreton and now the team are probably feeling the effects of a long season.

Plenty of what ifs from this season, but ultimately we'll just fall short. Good starting point for next season, for me we need to lock down lawlor, and sharpen our attack a little bit, then we could have a good run at the play offs next year.

Would help if Gateshead and fylde went up, will make the division a bit more level across the board.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:19 pm

What a load of crap in the second half. Looked shocking after Wheater went off. Bye bye playoffs.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:20 pm

Worst thing is there is still a glimmer of hope….

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:34 pm

Not after that performance.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:03 pm

Darlopete
It only collapsed after wheats was crocked. Other than the last 25 mins we were solid much better than Friday it had to be.
I was happy at least we showed what we can do during on all cylinders.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:03 pm

Conceding 4 goals in the last 30 mins is totally unacceptable.Fans really having a go about Storey's defending when he came on and saying he cost us 3 goals.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:11 pm

Love the type of midfielder that AA has brought to the club but most successful teams also have a “nasty bugger” who can break play up, sit in front of the back 4.
Would like to see this type of signing in the summer, alongside a re vamp of the forwards.
Just dont think a combination of the likes of Cassidy, mondal, Oneill will score anywhere near enough goals.

Full time team clearly showed again today but also showed that the squad still needs some changes despite the recent run.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:14 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:03 pm
Conceding 4 goals in the last 30 mins is totally unacceptable.Fans really having a go about Storey's defending when he came on and saying he cost us 3 goals.

Storey is just too weak physically, he gets bullied and pushed about far too easily. Once Wheater left the pitch all communication ended and the back line went to s***. I can only assume Ellis was carrying a knock and too risky to replace Wheater, but surely now Storey has shown enough to not be here next season, I worry every time he is on the pitch.

Lowe had a good game at CM, but was blowing from about 55 minutes onward which is expected considering his lack of game time. Smith should have replaced him, slotted into LB with Headley going into CM. A lot of our problems were due to them having so much time for the defenders to walk into midfield and set up attacks.

I'm not sure why Dos Santos is always the first to get subbed, Mondal had a poor game so should have made way.

Lambert, Purver, Headley, Moke and Griffith all played well, Gateshead are just miles ahead of us.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:38 pm

What a good side Gateshead are. Their fitness and footballing ability got them through in the end but we did have a couple of chances to make it three nil during the first half, and that would have made things interesting. We could have then absolutely “parked the bus” - instead of half heartedly doing it.

Disappointing but not surprising and with just one point from our last three games it’s pretty much all over.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:54 pm

George Benson has been much in my thoughts recently with Quakers messing with our emotions but after today his version of It's A Shame seemed about right. Never Give Up On A Good Thing though because The Greatest Love Of All should bear fruit next season. Only moderately drowning my sorrows because we gave it a good old go and Gateshead are good, that Longstaff lad is one of the best players in our league. A true Nature Boy as George would say. And we found a penalty taker.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:55 pm

If we can persuade Lawlor to sign up for next season and get Wheater match fit we will have a decent defence to build on. Ellis is still a good defender, but at 35 we will need more cover in case of injuries. I can see Storey probably leaving at the end of the season along with Beedon and Taylor so the recruitment of a younger centre back would make sense. A ball winner in midfield to replace Hatfield and another goal scorer and hopefully we will have a team to go to war with next season.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:58 pm

Difference between part-time and full-time today.
Gateshead were always going to be a strong and fit squad, we just can't compete consistently with a side like this. We gave it a go but as others have said it seems like once Wheater went off we were struggling defensively.

I'm going to say it once again but we are not realistically ready for promotion. It's a bit of a surprise that with 51 points at this point in the season we are looking at a playoff place rather than mid-table security (maybe something to do with how competitive this season has been outside of the top 4). There are a number of things we need to address as a club before a proper promotion push is realistic. We need to manage our expectations.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:51 pm

By the way, what a complete idiot that Nexus/Metro member of staff at the Monument on the way to the game. Talk about overkill holding up the metro for about 20 mins whilst police arrived at the scene. He should be charged with wasting police time.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:40 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:58 pm
Gateshead were always going to be a strong and fit squad, we just can't compete consistently with a side like this. We gave it a go but as others have said it seems like once Wheater went off we were struggling defensively.

I'm going to say it once again but we are not realistically ready for promotion. It's a bit of a surprise that with 51 points at this point in the season we are looking at a playoff place rather than mid-table security (maybe something to do with how competitive this season has been outside of the top 4). There are a number of things we need to address as a club before a proper promotion push is realistic. We need to manage our expectations.
When is that going to be exactly…

Darlopj

Post by Darlopj » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:19 pm

darloed19 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:40 pm
real_darlo_85 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:58 pm

When is that going to be exactly…

I understand if you're disappointed but it was a well thought out post of our current situation. Given some of the doom and gloom of a couple of months ago, our position is miles better than some thought.

Maybe a blessing in disguise not to sneak in to the playoffs.

We are what we are and as annoying as the past few games have been, we should be that. Annoyed, not demanding immediate changes (not you but some of the bed wetters on the Tin Shed).

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:51 pm

The proverbial game of two halves today,

First half - probably the most outstanding performance I've seen since Alun took over as manager, made the league leaders look very average in their own back yard superb free kick early on from Nathan Lowe and we actually scored a bloody penalty! We were solid at the back Wheater showing his quality and experience leading the line well and limiting them to a few half chances, Tommy Taylor more or less had the deck chair out.

Second half - held it together until around the last 25 minutes before imploding, it was like Friday all over again, we went into our shells and were like rabbits in the headlights as Gateshead piled the pressure on I don't think I've seen a Jekyll and Hyde performance like it in all the years I've followed DFC.

There's no doubt Wheater going off injured in the second half tipped the balance, but one player going off should not have caused us to cave in the way we did today, it was almost like a training match for Gateshead they brushed us aside with such embarrassing ease. I'll admit as much as our total capitulation hurt today, I enjoyed watching them they were well organised, well drilled, well disciplined (for the most part) and were very good on the ball the difference in fitness and quality definitely showed in the end, we'd ran out of steam.

I instantly got the jitters when they got it back to 2-1 then I thought to myself if we can keep it tight for the next ten minutes or so and not do anything daft we might be okay but surely enough shortly afterwards they were level, I'd have happily taken 2-2 there and then but what happened next was inevitable we had completely self destructed, much in the way we did in the second half at York back in March.

Also I agree with comments above regarding Mondal, his attitude and body language were all wrong especially in the second half he was nothing more than a passenger, at one point as Gateshead were advancing forward he turned away and argued with some of his teammates he didn't have his eyes on the ball or the opponent at all.

Although not yet mathematically certain, today's defeat has all but ended our play off hopes but with some tweaking and a couple of new signings I don't think we are a million miles away from mounting a serious challenge next season.
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:51 pm
By the way, what a complete idiot that Nexus/Metro member of staff at the Monument on the way to the game. Talk about overkill holding up the metro for about 20 mins whilst police arrived at the scene. He should be charged with wasting police time.
I'm not even going to go there ^ what an utter prat he was, I ended up walking off and getting a taxi to the ground.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:05 pm

In the Echo report Matty Jones writes that Gateshead have scored “over 100 times in the league this season” but surely this is wrong? 91 according to the BBC table. When it comes to Darlo matches the Echo does make a habit of poor reporting.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!