Signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Yarblockos
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signings

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:14 pm

m62exile wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:12 pm
I would need to double check my stats, but I think Cassidy has one goal and one assist since we played Chester on November 13th. That was 27 games ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, we don't like stats that don't tell us what we want to hear.

Darlogramps

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:28 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
m62exile wrote:
I would need to double check my stats, but I think Cassidy has one goal and one assist since we played Chester on November 13th. That was 27 games ago.

You’re right, we don’t. Particularly when you class substitute appearances as “not actually playing” in order to artificially inflate your own figures. Or try to claim five matches without him is somehow statistically significant as a comparison.

But again, for about the fourth time, no one is disputing Cassidy’s goalscoring record (or lack of it). What people are saying is he brings other attributes to the team that we don’t necessarily have with our other forwards.

I would also argue that to focus on his goalscoring record when other forwards/attackers have scored less feels like he’s getting scapegoated, particularly when we all knew where his skills and attributes lay when he joined.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:02 am

An I right in thinking that with Will Hatfield in the side we have lost more away games than when he wasn't in the side.

I think we've only lost one away game when Hatfield hasn't played.

Good job he left ey.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:56 am

Suspect he may try to get Spencer. Particularly if Farsley go down.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:19 pm

dfcdfcdfc wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:56 am
Suspect he may try to get Spencer. Particularly if Farsley go down.
Ooh Betty that would be good. Do you think he will wear his beret? 😂

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:03 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:28 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
m62exile wrote:

You’re right, we don’t. Particularly when you class substitute appearances as “not actually playing” in order to artificially inflate your own figures. Or try to claim five matches without him is somehow statistically significant as a comparison.

But again, for about the fourth time, no one is disputing Cassidy’s goalscoring record (or lack of it). What people are saying is he brings other attributes to the team that we don’t necessarily have with our other forwards.

I would also argue that to focus on his goalscoring record when other forwards/attackers have scored less feels like he’s getting scapegoated, particularly when we all knew where his skills and attributes lay when he joined.
So one goal and one assist in 27 games is good enough for you is it? I'm not scapegoating Cassidy, the discussion is about Cassidy because some people want to keep him and some don't. Mondal is much poorer player btw but that's not what we are discussing. The focus is not just on his goalscoring either, the data tend to suggest Cassidy doesn't even privide assists, so we'll have to assume his contributions are unmeasurable.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:35 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:03 pm
The focus is not just on his goalscoring either, the data tend to suggest Cassidy doesn't even privide assists, so we'll have to assume his contributions are unmeasurable.
I am not sure you are working from a full suite of data to work from.

What is his pass completion, how many goals from open play was he involved in, how many aerial duals did he win this season.

His contribution, or where I expect his contribution would be visible if there were, is not unmeasurable...it just isn't measured at our level. There is a difference.
Last edited by lo36789 on Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:40 pm

In regards to Cassidy, when he first came in people were saying he’s exactly what we have been missing for years, a decent target man who pulls defenders all over the place, just doesn’t have a good scoring record.
Now since Charman left he’s being criticised for his lack of goals even though we all know his record for goal scoring wasn’t great.
Shows how fickle fans can be. Get a goal scorer alongside Cassidy and we would do a lot better and maybe people would get off his back again.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:57 pm

Yarblockos wrote: So one goal and one assist in 27 games is good enough for you is it? I'm not scapegoating Cassidy, the discussion is about Cassidy because some people want to keep him and some don't. Mondal is much poorer player btw but that's not what we are discussing. The focus is not just on his goalscoring either, the data tend to suggest Cassidy doesn't even privide assists, so we'll have to assume his contributions are unmeasurable.
“Some want to keep him and some don’t”

The only person wanting to get rid in this thread is you. And your record on wanting rid of people isn’t great, given how very wrong you were about wanting AA sacked.

And I think you are scapegoating Cassidy. Loan_Star makes the point very well. No one complained about Cassidy’s goalscoring record when Charman was finding the net. Yet as soon as results get a little worse, Cassidy is the one people jump on.

The only reason you’ve offered for getting rid of Cassidy is he doesn’t score goals. Well we knew that when we signed him. We didn’t sign him because he was a prolific scorer. We signed him because he brought more of a presence up front; something we badly lacked last season.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:24 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:57 pm
Yarblockos wrote: So one goal and one assist in 27 games is good enough for you is it? I'm not scapegoating Cassidy, the discussion is about Cassidy because some people want to keep him and some don't. Mondal is much poorer player btw but that's not what we are discussing. The focus is not just on his goalscoring either, the data tend to suggest Cassidy doesn't even privide assists, so we'll have to assume his contributions are unmeasurable.
“Some want to keep him and some don’t”

The only person wanting to get rid in this thread is you. And your record on wanting rid of people isn’t great, given how very wrong you were about wanting AA sacked.

And I think you are scapegoating Cassidy. Loan_Star makes the point very well. No one complained about Cassidy’s goalscoring record when Charman was finding the net. Yet as soon as results get a little worse, Cassidy is the one people jump on.

The only reason you’ve offered for getting rid of Cassidy is he doesn’t score goals. Well we knew that when we signed him. We didn’t sign him because he was a prolific scorer. We signed him because he brought more of a presence up front; something we badly lacked last season.
Not true at all, in this thread some have suggested getting rid of Cassidy and others are on the fence. And who are the "people jumping on him" if it it just me? It is simply untrue to suggest nobody has complained about Cassidy's goalscoring before now. Again, not true that the only reason I've offered for getting rid of him is that he does not score goals. I have suggested he does not score, he does not provide assists, and we do no worse and score no fewer goals when he is not starting. Read what I say instead of misrepresenting it.

Darlogramps

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:44 pm

Yarblockos wrote: Not true at all, in this thread some have suggested getting rid of Cassidy and others are on the fence.
Nope, you’re the only one who wants rid. Ghost and MB86DFC say they’re on the fence. Lallacab is open to keeping him by his own admission. You’re on your own in this thread in wanting him released regardless. Please point out who else, other than you, unconditionally wants him released.
Yarblockos wrote: It is simply untrue to suggest nobody has complained about Cassidy's goalscoring before now.
That’s not what I (or Loan_Star who made the origjnal point) said. What was said was, when Charman was scoring plenty of goals, no one was complaining about Cassidy.

Yarblockos wrote: Again, not true that the only reason I've offered for getting rid of him is that he does not score goals. I have suggested he does not score, he does not provide assists, and we do no worse and score no fewer goals when he is not starting.
Again, you’re basing that on 5 matches where he doesn’t play. It’s not statistically significant and it’s both hilarious and desperate you’re pushing this.

As for assists, how many assists has Cassidy got? Do you even know?
Yarblockos wrote: Read what I say instead of misrepresenting it.
Seems you need to follow your own advice.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:37 pm

Finding a Cassidy type player who also scores goals is going to be difficult. AA was in for Mark Beck last year, but even he only scored 3 goals in 18 appearances this season. I would have thought AA will be looking for a similar type of player because he's mentioned Cassidys lack of goals a few times, but if he can't find one we must keep Cassidy it's that simple, because we don't have anyone else who offers the outlet ball that he does.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:47 pm

I think Cassidy brings the best out of a quality strike partner.

For me, the priority is to replace Charman’s goals, not Cassidy.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:18 pm

I think we'll have to see which strikers are released by our local big 3. There will be someone like Charman in amongst them and we just have to hope we have the resources to attract them to the club. We have been good at resurrecting careers and giving them a springboard to get back into the professional game.

I think as a club at some point if we do have ambitions to make a proper promotion push then keeping players like these longer term will be the aim. Until then I think it's a case of being patient and acknowledging that we are where we are as a club. I read on another thread about rumblings of people not wanting to renew season tickets etc. which will be counter productive, however that is the wider problem the club has while we are sort of in limbo without our own ground, battling in a league with full-time clubs and more pressures on people's pockets in terms of disposable income (I for one use to be a regular but circumstances over the last 10 years have changed and I can't invest as much as I would like to). It is over to those of you who are in the position of having the time and income to keep us going through these harder times and hopefully keep the club stable. We'll get back to where we'd like to be in the end if everyone sticks together.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:52 pm

Re season tickets, when I started buying them in about 98, you used to get 4 “free” matches and bonus extras, in fact I think G.R. Had a BOGOF offer one year :D Now it works out as a saving of 2 “free” matches and not much else. It’s up to the club what they choose to do but if they really want to shift them - they need to make them more attractive.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:38 pm

Heaton out wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:50 pm
Whoever we sign a new striker is desperately needed! Hazel could be an option but we are severely lacking up front
Can't see this happening. He's contracted till next May, which means we'd have to pay for him and can't see that we'd do that. I think he got mentioned at the forum and AA distanced himself (which you would expect as he's someone else's player and wouldn't want to start any unsettling rumours)

Think Cassidy had scored perhaps 4 up to November-ish time and only 1 since, which is poor.

Cassidy is a debatable one, but like anything else, if you can find someone better then fine

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:29 pm

Wonder what is happening with Tyrone O’Neill. Is he injured or just out of favour? Likely to be released by Scunthorpe I would think, but would we be looking to sign him for next season?
If he just needs some time to regain full fitness he could be worth taking a chance on, but the memory of Andrew Nelson is still fresh in the mind. Maybe we could assess him in preseason and go from there.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:32 pm

I had a little peek to see how Charman is getting on at Rochdale. 17 Apps but 0 goals :silent:

Out of a career total of 20 goals, 19 were scored with us and the other one was a Newcastle under 21 outing.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:13 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:32 pm
I had a little peek to see how Charman is getting on at Rochdale. 17 Apps but 0 goals :silent:

Out of a career total of 20 goals, 19 were scored with us and the other one was a Newcastle under 21 outing.
Only recently getting starts after quite a few bench appearances, but did manage a couple of efforts that hit the woodwork & assists. Seems to have settled into their squad.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:54 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:32 pm

He has started the last 7 after previously being accustomed to the level from the bench. You have to assume he is doing something right.

Rochdale are a bit of a score one and defend what you have type of side mind, at best, their focus since the start of the season has been on securing League Two status over anything else.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:20 am

Old Git wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:29 pm
Wonder what is happening with Tyrone O’Neill. Is he injured or just out of favour? Likely to be released by Scunthorpe I would think, but would we be looking to sign him for next season?
If he just needs some time to regain full fitness he could be worth taking a chance on, but the memory of Andrew Nelson is still fresh in the mind. Maybe we could assess him in preseason and go from there.
I believe he has already been told he is free to leave despite having a year left on his deal.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:30 am

loan_star wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:20 am
Old Git wrote:
I believe he has already been told he is free to leave despite having a year left on his deal.
Interesting one is Tyrone - I think he’s looked really poor this season, has undoubted ability but I’m not sure I’d look to keep him

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:32 pm

AA will know what Tyrone brings to the table and whether he has what is required, if he gives ty a preseason to sort himself out will determine whether he will be here next season, he's a young player has been knocked back after showing very good form in his early career, can he get that back is the thousand dollar question.. if he can then he will be a positive for any team.????

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:02 pm

There's something very frustrating about both O'Neill and Cassidy.

Cassidy - undeniably works hard for the team and has certainly created a few chances and goals for team mates this year. The work ethic makes me want to like him but for me his goal involvements (goals + assists) just aren't good enough to justify him being a priority for a new contract. Only 5 goals this season in 30 odd games isn't a good return from effectively our 2nd striker. (Charman being the no.1). It's not like he's been in and out of the team massively he's been backed by the manager plenty this season and got lots of minutes. But all too often he's not between the posts where he needs to be to be a threat, when the ball comes into the box. And even when he has been he's missed some real sitters this season. The header vs Kettering at home, the chance at Gloucester away, the penalty vs Alfreton. All were important chances and on each occasion he was found wanting. Based on the above I'd be tempted to look at what is available in the summer.

O'Neill - is a bit of an odd player. Doesn't put himself around like Cassidy does which qualifies as lazy in some of our fan bases eyes. Also despite his height, his game isn't really that of a traditional target man. He's better ball to feet trying to role his man with his technique than getting between posts and trying to compete for headers and flick ons. Sometimes on the bad pitches at this level I wonder if that makes him a bit of a luxury player. He certainly hasn't hit the heights this time that he did in his first stint with us. On the other hand give him a chance in the box like at Gloucester away and I'd back him to take it a lot more than I would Cassidy. I think in his first spell he managed 7 in 17 games which is more than Cassidy has managed in 30 odd games. What really concerns me is that Armstrong didn't fancy him in any of the last 4 games and there must be a reason for that. Or could it be that with a proper pre-season behind him as a main striker that he could get back to those first loan spell levels.

In all, I think we probably need a rethink of our forward line and I'd be tempted to not offer anything to Mondal, Cassidy or O'Neill. I think the most important piece of the jigsaw will be the replacement for Charman in the summer. He was a game changer cause he offered us 3 types of striker in 1. He was big enough to occupy defenders and be a threat in the air. Mobile enough to be able to run the channels and run off the shoulder of defenders and technical enough that he could come short for the ball and drag CBs out of position, or if they stayed in position he could shoot from range too and give us that threat. All our other current options are rather one dimensional compared to what he offered us.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:53 pm

I do hope Hazel is in consideration, even if there is a price tag to negotiate. Scoring 25 goals (nearly half of Whitby’s league goals) in a division with not to much difference in quality to ours, for a team in the upper mid table warrants investigation.

I understand he isn’t one to place on the production line, improve and sell for a profit, but as this season shows we need a settled striker if we have any ambition of playoffs

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:57 pm

JE93 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:02 pm

O'Neill What really concerns me is that Armstrong didn't fancy him in any of the last 4 games and there must be a reason for that.
Probably due to him being injured :think:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:29 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:53 pm
Scoring 25 goals (nearly half of Whitby’s league goals) in a division with not to much difference in quality to ours.
I disagree on this point. There are some gems but there is a big difference.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:46 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:30 am
loan_star wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:20 am
Old Git wrote:
Interesting one is Tyrone - I think he’s looked really poor this season, has undoubted ability but I’m not sure I’d look to keep him
Agree.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:34 pm

loan_star wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:57 pm
JE93 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:02 pm

O'Neill What really concerns me is that Armstrong didn't fancy him in any of the last 4 games and there must be a reason for that.
Probably due to him being injured :think:
Hadn't realised he was injured. Was nothing in any of the club match previews for Curzon, Gateshead or Brackley to say he was injured or returning from injury. But if he's been injured fair enough. Needs a couple of starts over last few games see if he's worth the gamble for 22/23.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:42 pm

If we were getting the Tyrone O'Neill who scored 7 goals in 17 appearances for us over 3 months in 2019 before Jonathan Woodgate recalled him in the November then it would be a no brainer. I seem to recall he had a lot going for him and was getting better and better. I think if we could have kept him for the season he could well have hit the 20 goal mark the way he was shaping up.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.