Signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Signings

Post by H1987 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:55 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:30 am
loan_star wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:20 am
Old Git wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:29 pm
Wonder what is happening with Tyrone O’Neill. Is he injured or just out of favour? Likely to be released by Scunthorpe I would think, but would we be looking to sign him for next season?
If he just needs some time to regain full fitness he could be worth taking a chance on, but the memory of Andrew Nelson is still fresh in the mind. Maybe we could assess him in preseason and go from there.
I believe he has already been told he is free to leave despite having a year left on his deal.
Interesting one is Tyrone - I think he’s looked really poor this season, has undoubted ability but I’m not sure I’d look to keep him
Is he a free agent? I assumed he was still on the books at his parent club.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:24 pm

loan_star wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:57 pm
JE93 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:02 pm

O'Neill What really concerns me is that Armstrong didn't fancy him in any of the last 4 games and there must be a reason for that.
Probably due to him being injured :think:
Yep, Tyrone is injured, D.J. told us this just before kick off at the Curzon match.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:08 pm

Ty has been missing 4 matches, I assumed it must be injury, but had the club actually stated he was out through injury?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:34 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:08 pm
Ty has been missing 4 matches, I assumed it must be injury, but had the club actually stated he was out through injury?
Dunno, we found out purely by chance.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:22 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:07 pm
Got to get a striker in, Jacob Hazel would be the one I’d be going for all round striker pace power strength and knows where the goal is.
Whitby confirm they've rejected a bid from a National North club for him. No idea if it's us or not

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:45 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:22 pm
Got to get a striker in, Jacob Hazel would be the one I’d be going for all round striker pace power strength and knows where the goal is.
Whitby confirm they've rejected a bid from a National North club for him. No idea if it's us or not
Not sure that will be from us. Perhaps more likely to be York or even Spennymoor.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:54 pm

Old Git wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:45 pm
al_quaker wrote:
Not sure that will be from us. Perhaps more likely to be York or even Spennymoor.
I’d be surprised if York or Spenny start their transfer activity until they know what division they’ll be in next season, as both are still in playoff contention. I’d expect it was us and Whitby are trying to create a market.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:22 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:54 pm
Old Git wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
I’d be surprised if York or Spenny start their transfer activity until they know what division they’ll be in next season, as both are still in playoff contention. I’d expect it was us and Whitby are trying to create a market.
You may well be correct but I think it quite unlikely that we would be willing to pay much of a fee for a 28 year old. I am not against trying to sign Hazell but I would think it more likely we will be looking at a younger player released by an EFL club.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:54 am

Old Git wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:22 pm
MB86DFC wrote:
Old Git wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
You may well be correct but I think it quite unlikely that we would be willing to pay much of a fee for a 28 year old. I am not against trying to sign Hazell but I would think it more likely we will be looking at a younger player released by an EFL club.
I expect Old Git is right - it doesn't really fit in with our transfer policy (or financial circumstances) of recent years to be going out and paying fees for established players who are at or around their peak. This was very much the strategy under Martin Gray, when we'd spend money we didn't really have to guarantee success - but we're much more sensible and considered in the way we're run these days.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:05 am

I would massively guess it's us who made the bid.

We have some funds available and as we have all expressed AA has to deliver a play off pushing team next season. So if AA could spend £10k/£15k on a striker who maybe guarantees 15 goals at this level then he would be daft not to.

I would imagine he knows we can't have another season where we start slow, eventually get going but don't have enough to push into the top 8. Our biggest issue is a goal scorer or two, makes total sense that we are chancing a reasonable bid for Hazel but not going too crazy.

MinistryOfSillyWalks

Post by MinistryOfSillyWalks » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:56 am

Do we expect Nelson to be fit for the start of next season?

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:58 am

MinistryOfSillyWalks wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:56 am
Do we expect Nelson to be fit for the start of next season?
Nope. I think it’s the season after next he expects to be back. We need to look beyond Nelson, unfortunately. Undoubtedly he’s talented but too big an injury risk.

Darlogramps

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:48 pm

Some good news in the Echo regarding Danny Rose with Armstrong saying: “We’re just about there” in terms of a deal.

Article also confirms it’s us who’ve put in a bid for Hazel.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... PAfmm2Ky_c
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:48 am

Spyman wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:54 am
Old Git wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:22 pm
MB86DFC wrote:
Old Git wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

I expect Old Git is right - it doesn't really fit in with our transfer policy (or financial circumstances) of recent years to be going out and paying fees for established players who are at or around their peak. This was very much the strategy under Martin Gray, when we'd spend money we didn't really have to guarantee success - but we're much more sensible and considered in the way we're run these days.
Didn’t we pay transfer fees for a then 27 year old Sean Reid and a then 34 year old Liam Connell in 19/20?

By limiting who we go out and spend transfer fees on because of a supposed “transfer policy”, we are further limiting the pool of players available to us. Sometimes you have to be proactive as per the signings above.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:29 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:48 pm
Some good news in the Echo regarding Danny Rose with Armstrong saying: “We’re just about there” in terms of a deal.

Armstrong actually says that he is interested in Hazel, but doesn’t actually confirm a bid has been made. I would be delighted if we could get him signed up, but it looks like Whitby could be using our interest as attempt to generate a bidding war. Why else would they publicly say a bid had been received. Presumably there is no release clause in his contract as this would have been triggered so they will be hoping other potential bidders are alerted.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:03 am

Hope AA can get the Danny Rose deal over the line, another good player to get tied down.

Darlogramps

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:18 am

Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Armstrong actually says that he is interested in Hazel, but doesn’t actually confirm a bid has been made.
The article quite literally says we’ve made a bid for him.

“Darlington are understood to have lodged a bid for Whitby Town striker Jacob Hazel.”

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:26 am

Darlogramps wrote:Some good news in the Echo regarding Danny Rose with Armstrong saying: “We’re just about there” in terms of a deal.

Well there you go, what do I know?!

Good news on Rose, the core of the side is taking shape for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:00 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:18 am
Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Armstrong actually says that he is interested in Hazel, but doesn’t actually confirm a bid has been made.

“Darlington are understood to have lodged a bid for Whitby Town striker Jacob Hazel.”
You will no doubt think I am being pedantic, but understood to have made a bid is not quite the same as definitely saying we have made a bid.
Lets hope we have made a bid and that we can sign him, but I think this could just be the start of a bidding process, and probably seen by Whitby as likely to alert other clubs to his availability at the right price. Hence Whitby making it public that a bid had been received. You can’t blame them as I would expect us to do the same thing in their position.

Darlogramps

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:38 am

Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:18 am
Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

You will no doubt think I am being pedantic, but understood to have made a bid is not quite the same as definitely saying we have made a bid.
It’s not a question of you being pedantic. It’s a question of you being wrong.

It is exactly the same. “Understood to” is well-known journalese for “have”. It crops up everywhere in newspapers, websites etc.

Stoddart is too experienced and too reliable a journalist to be reporting information like that for it to be incorrect. It’ll have come from Armstrong because, well he clearly spoke to him for the piece.

We’ve made a bid for Hazel. Whether you want to accept that or not is up to you.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:33 pm

Tyrone O’Neill has signed for Stockton , brilliant signing for them, hopefully Tyrone gets his mojo back

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:12 am

Darlopartisan wrote:Tyrone O’Neill has signed for Stockton , brilliant signing for them, hopefully Tyrone gets his mojo back
Bit surprised by that as one of the Whitby coaches told the old guy I was stood with that he was signing for them.

So Ty joins Tommo at Stockton. I’ll be making more of an effort to get down and support the anchors this season #UTA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk