Darlington Georges

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington Georges

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:10 am

As it's St.Georges Day myself and a Boro mate were trying to have a bit of fun with Georges who played for Boro. For Darlo there's the memorable George Switzer, but how many other Darlo Georges can people remember? And we're not allowed to mention owners!

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: Darlington Georges

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:39 am

George McGeachie classic Scottish winger and chemist at ICI 1965-67 before a bad injury ended his footie career.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:25 pm

That George McGeachie would not be out of place in the Hall of Fame. Very tricky winger👍
Think Boy George played at Civic/Hippodrome, but George Smith is in our squad now & not a bad turn.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:49 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:25 pm
That George McGeachie would not be out of place in the Hall of Fame. Very tricky winger👍
Think Boy George played at Civic/Hippodrome, but George Smith is in our squad now & not a bad turn.
Hope he is in the hall of fame, I've voted for him. Our own Stanley Matthews.

johninskopje

Post by johninskopje » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:43 pm

I will never forget the sound of his leg breaking after an absolutely horrendous tackle. I don’t think that he ever played agin.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:11 pm

johninskopje wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:43 pm
I will never forget the sound of his leg breaking after an absolutely horrendous tackle. I don’t think that he ever played agin.
I am sure I was at the game where he suffered the career ending injury but I don’t remember any horrendous tackle or a broken leg.

My (and I am definitely not claiming this to be the true version, but it is as I recall it) recollection/ memory is that it was a night match on a very cold hard pitch and that he turned awkwardly but without any opposing player near him. It seemed innocuous at the time but turned out to be a career ending knee injury.

As I say I might be completely wrong but it was a long time ago and my memory may well be even worse than I give it credit for.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:44 am

johninskopje wrote:
Think you may be thinking of Jack Maltby who was 1 of the 3 injured against Stockport 1963-4 ish Henderson and Whitehead? being the other 2

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:07 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:10 am
As it's St.Georges Day myself and a Boro mate were trying to have a bit of fun with Georges who played for Boro. For Darlo there's the memorable George Switzer, but how many other Darlo Georges can people remember? And we're not allowed to mention owners!
There's quite a few at http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/ ... ngton.html, mostly from the 50s and 60s.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:09 am

Darlo Dodger wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:11 pm
johninskopje wrote:
I am sure I was at the game where he suffered the career ending injury but I don’t remember any horrendous tackle or a broken leg.

My (and I am definitely not claiming this to be the true version, but it is as I recall it) recollection/ memory is that it was a night match on a very cold hard pitch and that he turned awkwardly but without any opposing player near him. It seemed innocuous at the time but turned out to be a career ending knee injury.

As I say I might be completely wrong but it was a long time ago and my memory may well be even worse than I give it credit for.
"He made 135 senior appearances, mainly on the left wing and had scored ten goals before a serious cartilage injury in a match against Gillingham" says the Echo, https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... -blighter/