Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by JE93 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:04 am

Very happy with this one. Wheater + Lawlor at CB is a proper foundation for next season.

Old Git
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Old Git » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:43 am

This is excellent news. He has improved with each game and this is a major building block in place for next season’s team.

al_quaker
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by al_quaker » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:03 am

Superb news. Wheater and Lawlor have looked our best CB partnership since we got to this league. Good to see we are getting key players signed up early, and on 2 year contracts in some cases - the advantage (presumably) of our much improved financial position, boosted further with the sales of Charman and Hatfield. Already we have the core of a solid first team signed up for next season, with hopefully a few more to follow, which will allow Armstrong to really go after those 2 or 3 quality players we really need to jump from a mid table team who might flirt with sneaking into the playoffs (as our current squad is I believe) to genuine playoff challengers.

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 718
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:34 am

Over the moon with this as I wasn’t sure we could get him. Hope Wheats can stay fit. If so we should be able to stop giving daft goals away.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:51 am

Brilliant news as I did wonder whether he’d want another crack at higher up the pyramid. Centre back was the issue at the start of this season so hopefully having Lawlor and Wheater signed up avoid that issue this time.

Taylor, Lawlor, Wheater, Moke and Hedley is a very decent spine for the new campaign. There’s a few more of the current squad we’ll want to see signed up (please, please, please Jack Lambert).

After that, the summer should be about adding quality, predominantly up front, to make us top seven contenders.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 12033
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:07 am

Hopefully with a proper pre-season Wheater can sort out whatever niggles he still has. My concern would be that if he continues to miss every other game (or whatever the current rate is), we won't develop any consistency at the back and that will hinder us no matter how the rest of the squad shapes up.

I'd like to see Ellis retained as he seems a similar type of player to Wheater so we can rotate the two of them alongside Lawlor if needed.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:28 am

Bit of a confusing line in the article and AA’s interview. They say Lawlor is the third player signed up from the current squad.

But even if we take out Moke (who the club haven’t announced but DFCSG chair Chris Stockdale has confirmed is signed for 22/23), surely Lawlor is the 4th, after Taylor, Wheater and Hedley.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

MB86DFC
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:42 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:28 am
Bit of a confusing line in the article and AA’s interview. They say Lawlor is the third player signed up from the current squad.

But even if we take out Moke (who the club haven’t announced but DFCSG chair Chris Stockdale has confirmed is signed for 22/23), surely Lawlor is the 4th, after Taylor, Wheater and Hedley.
A bit of guesswork here, but it sounds like a training session is going on in the background d and we don’t train Mondays (do we?), so I doubt this was recorded yesterday and released straight away. Perhaps the signings are being trickle fed even though they’ve already been done and this was a lapse in continuity? If this is the case I’ve no problem with this approach as it keeps interest ticking over on the run up to the pending btb and season ticket campaigns.

onewayup
Posts: 2326
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by onewayup » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:52 am

Remember the Ben Hedly post was taken down, so maybe that is in the air at the moment.
Accounting for the 4th signing, I don't know just an explanation.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:03 am

Possibly it’s a continuity thing but it’s still not ideal.

I know it’s only a small thing but getting the details correct avoids confusion and makes us look more professional. Saying three have signed up when it’s actually four (well actually five because of the bizarre Moke non-announcement) is an avoidable mistake.

Just feels like these things could be sharpened up to make us more professional and improve engagement with fans

Interestingly the article says the Boost The Budget will be launched this weekend. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if we get one or two more this week to build momentum.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:04 am

onewayup wrote:Remember the Ben Hedly post was taken down, so maybe that is in the air at the moment.
Accounting for the 4th signing, I don't know just an explanation.
It’s nothing to do with Hedley. All the stuff from his announcement last week is very much still live.

Here’s the website article: https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/ben-sig ... w-contract

Everything is still live on his and the club’s social media too.

Onewayup your post is spreading misinformation. There’s nothing “in the air” about Hedley’s contract that I can see.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789
Posts: 9964
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:11 am

A post disappeared from this forum not from the official club website...the two are very different.

Old Git
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Old Git » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:12 am

Spyman wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:07 am
Hopefully with a proper pre-season Wheater can sort out whatever niggles he still has. My concern would be that if he continues to miss every other game (or whatever the current rate is), we won't develop any consistency at the back and that will hinder us no matter how the rest of the squad shapes up.

I'd like to see Ellis retained as he seems a similar type of player to Wheater so we can rotate the two of them alongside Lawlor if needed.
I think it was a big ask for Wheater to join in with two thirds of the season gone, after not playing for 2 years, and still recovering from a back operation. Don’t think it was ever the plan for him to play as quickly as he did, but was forced upon AA due to injuries. He played 3 games in 10 days, and by the 3rd one at York he was clearly knackered. A little rest followed by preseason training and I think we will see a better player next season.
As for Ellis I am not sure whether he will stay or not. Ideally we could do with some younger blood coming through and possibly gaining some experience in playing alongside Wheater or Lawlor. Whatever happens we look to have the makings of a much stronger defence than at the start of this season.

Darlo_Rob
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Darlo_Rob » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:58 am

This is great news, he was one of the essential signings I've been wanting, Lamberts the next one on the list for me now.

I was worried that Spenny might have been eyeing up Lawlor, so getting him signed up is a big plus.

For me it's a no getting Ellis signed up, I don't think he's that good. However, it's a bit like the Cassidy situation, if we can't find better we try to sign them up, although a centre half is probably easier to find than a player of Cassidys attributes.

lo36789
Posts: 9964
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:04 am

Be interesting what Jonno and Bernard do with recruitment.

They haven't really done very well since they lost their core of players from greater Manchester.

I expect their hunting ground would still be over that way regardless. Plus aren't they going full time next season, didn't the advert for their manager it was for a full time squad.

DavidCurriesMullet
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:53 am

If going Full Time, any chance Glen Taylor will be looking to move on? Happily up my BTB contribution to go after him.

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 718
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:54 am

lo36789 wrote:Be interesting what Jonno and Bernard do with recruitment.

They haven't really done very well since they lost their core of players from greater Manchester.

I expect their hunting ground would still be over that way regardless. Plus aren't they going full time next season, didn't the advert for their manager it was for a full time squad.
Taylor’s position would be interesting if they did go full time as he ruled this out pre covid when league clubs were showing interest.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2363
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:23 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:This is great news, he was one of the essential signings I've been wanting, Lamberts the next one on the list for me now.

I was worried that Spenny might have been eyeing up Lawlor, so getting him signed up is a big plus.

For me it's a no getting Ellis signed up, I don't think he's that good. However, it's a bit like the Cassidy situation, if we can't find better we try to sign them up, although a centre half is probably easier to find than a player of Cassidys attributes.
I had a feeling Spenny would be in for him to replace Curtis as Jonno knows all about him. Interesting that 2 of their recent signings, Thewlis and Preston, don't appear in the starting lineups and will be on decent money I would imagine.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


onewayup
Posts: 2326
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by onewayup » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:58 pm

Gramps,not miss information at all I stated a fact the headly post was taken down ,stop being pedantic, not spreading anything said it as it is, also said it was maybe an explanation for the numbers being out of sinc .on this thread..

Darlogramps
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:39 pm

onewayup wrote:Gramps,not miss information at all I stated a fact the headly post was taken down ,stop being pedantic, not spreading anything said it as it is, also said it was maybe an explanation for the numbers being out of sinc .on this thread..
Except you haven’t said anything “as it is”. You spouted a load of rubbish, speculating the Hedley deal was “up in the air” because one thread had gone from a messageboard.

If you’d actually bothered to engage your only brain cell this morning, a quick check of the club’s website and socials would have shown all the Hedley articles were still live and prove there is nothing “in the air” about his contract.

To suggest there was a problem with the Hedley deal, without any basis whatsoever, is misinformation and fake news.

Now given we know there is no issue with the Hedley deal, kindly delete the reference in your post. Otherwise we can assume you would rather spread incorrect information about the club than admit to making an error.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5428
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:58 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:39 pm
Now given we know there is no issue with the Hedley deal, kindly delete the reference in your post. Otherwise we can assume you would rather spread incorrect information about the club than admit to making an error.
When you write "we" - who exactly do you mean? Because I'll tell you one thing, you certainly don't represent me.
A stopped clock is right twice a day.
The Blackwell Meadows clock is wrong all day every day.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:27 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:39 pm
Now given we know there is no issue with the Hedley deal, kindly delete the reference in your post. Otherwise we can assume you would rather spread incorrect information about the club than admit to making an error.
When you write "we" - who exactly do you mean? Because I'll tell you one thing, you certainly don't represent me.
So you think there’s an issue with the Hedley deal as well, do you?

Given the club and Hedley have posted the information and not taken it down, everyone with a brain in their head will know there is no issue with the deal, despite onewayup’s baseless speculation.

Now if you know better than everyone else, please enlighten everyone.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

onewayup
Posts: 2326
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by onewayup » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:35 pm

Gramps ,I never said there was an issue it's you who made that up was it not. Really don't know your arse from your elbow it seems. Enough said about it. :wave:

Darlogramps
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:39 pm

onewayup wrote:Gramps ,I never said there was an issue it's you who made that up was it not. Really don't know your arse from your elbow it seems. Enough said about it. :wave:
Err yes you did. A reminder of your own words: “Remember the Ben Hedly post was taken down, so maybe that is in the air at the moment.”

You suggested there was an issue with the Hedley contract because a thread had disappeared from a messageboard. You did so because you’re too thick to even check the club website or social media.

And now you’re too much of a coward to admit you were wrong, so you’ll actively lie despite your own words being there for all to see.

People like you are too stupid to be allowed on the internet.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5428
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:54 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:27 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:39 pm
Now given we know there is no issue with the Hedley deal, kindly delete the reference in your post. Otherwise we can assume you would rather spread incorrect information about the club than admit to making an error.
When you write "we" - who exactly do you mean? Because I'll tell you one thing, you certainly don't represent me.
So you think there’s an issue with the Hedley deal as well, do you?

Given the club and Hedley have posted the information and not taken it down, everyone with a brain in their head will know there is no issue with the deal, despite onewayup’s baseless speculation.

Now if you know better than everyone else, please enlighten everyone.

No, I don't think there's an issue with the deal, I never said that.

It's just that when you write "we" above it implies that you are writing on behalf of others, so I was merely asking who else you were speaking on behalf of? The probable answer to this question is "no one"

You are most probably right in what you say to onewayup - it's just that you're unnecessarily rude to him.
A stopped clock is right twice a day.
The Blackwell Meadows clock is wrong all day every day.

onewayup
Posts: 2326
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by onewayup » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:07 pm

Gramps you're just a grumpy old idiot who is spoiling for something to grumpy about. Ha.ha

Darlogramps
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:16 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:27 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:39 pm
Now given we know there is no issue with the Hedley deal, kindly delete the reference in your post. Otherwise we can assume you would rather spread incorrect information about the club than admit to making an error.
When you write "we" - who exactly do you mean? Because I'll tell you one thing, you certainly don't represent me.
So you think there’s an issue with the Hedley deal as well, do you?

Given the club and Hedley have posted the information and not taken it down, everyone with a brain in their head will know there is no issue with the deal, despite onewayup’s baseless speculation.

Now if you know better than everyone else, please enlighten everyone.

No, I don't think there's an issue with the deal, I never said that.

It's just that when you write "we" above it implies that you are writing on behalf of others, so I was merely asking who else you were speaking on behalf of? The probable answer to this question is "no one"

You are most probably right in what you say to onewayup - it's just that you're unnecessarily rude to him.
Onewayup’s attitude is to write baseless, incorrect speculation and refuse to take it down, while insulting me and claiming I made up the incorrect claims about Hedley. Don’t expect me to be civil when someone is behaving like that. He deserves it.

As for the “we” thing, you know (and indeed say in your next paragraph) you think I’m correct.
Therefore it’s just cheap pointscoring to further your vendetta and dislike of me. I’m not going to indulge your attempt at de-railing this thread.

No one else cares, so let’s keep this on topic, OK? After all, you said only last week people were drifting away from the board because of unnecessary squabbling and threads being de-railed. It’d be rather hypocritical for you to do the same now, wouldn’t it!
onewayup wrote:Gramps you're just a grumpy old idiot who is spoiling for something to grumpy about. Ha.ha
So theoriginalfatcat, do you class this as “being unnecessarily rude”? Would hate to think it’s just me you’re having a pop at for being insulting in threads.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 5930
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:34 pm

onewayup wrote:Gramps you're just a grumpy old idiot who is spoiling for something to grumpy about. Ha.ha
Another really worthwhile contribution. Bravo.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Lallacab
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:49 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by Lallacab » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:23 pm

Really pleased with this signing , it gives us a real solid base to build from.

For me Lawlor is vital to how we want to play and has got better as the season has gone on - already getting excited about next season

darlo2001uk
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lawlor signs 2 year deal

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:11 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:34 pm
onewayup wrote:Gramps you're just a grumpy old idiot who is spoiling for something to grumpy about. Ha.ha
Another really worthwhile contribution. Bravo.
And another thread that discusses good news for DFC has been spoiled by childish arguments.

Post Reply