NPL and Southern Central play offs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Post Reply
JE93
Posts: 1703
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by JE93 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:53 pm

Well we already know we'll be seeing Buxton and Banbury next year but after last night's results:

NPL
South Sheilds 1 - 1 Warrington (Warrington won 7-6 on pens)
Scarborough 2 - 1 Matlock

Southern Central
Peterborough Sports 2 - 1 Alvechurch
Coalville 3 - 0 Rushall Olympic

We'll get one from Scarborough and Warrington and one from Peterborough and Coalville. Personally hope its Scarborough from the NPL, decent local away day, they'll potentially bring a few to BM and makes up for potentially losing a local game n Gateshead. From the South personally would like it to be Peterborough, easy journey up the A1 for me as a southern exile. Think both games are being played bank holiday Monday.

On the other side of things it looks pretty inevitable we'll be seeing Kings Lynn again next season who look likely to be relegated from the national league, long old trip to add to the diary. At the bottom of this league looks like it's between Guiesley and Telford for the only NLN relegation spot. Both seem to be playing playoff constituent and contenders in their final few games. I hope Guiesley can find a result or two and stay up, much more Darlo friendly journey than Telford.

shildonlad
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by shildonlad » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:49 pm

I thought two were going down from national league north?
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

darloed19
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by darloed19 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:05 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:49 pm
I thought two were going down from national league north?
One this season and four next

shildonlad
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by shildonlad » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:10 pm

darloed19 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:05 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:49 pm
I thought two were going down from national league north?
One this season and four next
Got ya. Presume only ones going down as only one will be relegated into the national north (kings lynn)
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

quakersam
Posts: 4784
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:35 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Stockton

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by quakersam » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:46 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:10 pm
darloed19 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:05 pm
shildonlad wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:49 pm
I thought two were going down from national league north?
One this season and four next
Got ya. Presume only ones going down as only one will be relegated into the national north (kings lynn)
Not quite
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

tdk1
Posts: 2254
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by tdk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:51 pm

I think it's only one down because they're expanding the league, and there's a vacancy due to somebody going bust (but I can't remember who now)

shildonlad
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by shildonlad » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:53 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:51 pm
I think it's only one down because they're expanding the league, and there's a vacancy due to somebody going bust (but I can't remember who now)
Macclesfield?
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

lo36789
Posts: 10015
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:55 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:53 pm
tdk1 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:51 pm
I think it's only one down because they're expanding the league, and there's a vacancy due to somebody going bust (but I can't remember who now)
Macclesfield?
Strictly speaking it was Bury I think - the Macclesfield issue was I believe strictly the vacancy that is in the National League Prem.

They happened quite close to each other though but they account for the gaps in the NL and NLN.

tdk1
Posts: 2254
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by tdk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:02 pm

Both seem a very long time ago now, almost too long ago for this to make sense, and I think they won their own respective leagues this year, but yes, I think you're right.

shildonlad
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by shildonlad » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:11 am

Theres shortages right across the pyramid hence why consett are in a play off with histon
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by shildonlad » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:12 am

tdk1 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:02 pm
Both seem a very long time ago now, almost too long ago for this to make sense, and I think they won their own respective leagues this year, but yes, I think you're right.
Yeah was in the york city clubhouse in august 2019 when it was on sky sports about bury going under, feels like a age ago now
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

lo36789
Posts: 10015
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:19 am

shildonlad wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:11 am
Theres shortages right across the pyramid hence why consett are in a play off with histon
That is in part driven by the restructure as well as vacated spots / shortages (likes of Droylsden).

Guess they are all shortages though so I'm being pedantic...the restructure created vacancies though but in awkward ratios to the number of divisions and where existing gaps were.

Old Git
Posts: 1723
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by Old Git » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:54 am

It’s going to make life a bit tougher next season with 4 extra games to play. Will presumably be extra midweek games, most likely at the start of the season. Expect a busy few weeks in August and September which will make it imperative to be competitive from the start of the season. Hopefully we will be a better position to make a good start than we were in August 2021.

lo36789
Posts: 10015
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:57 am

Hopefully that should be a given since it was covid which effectively wiped us out this season and the rules at the time regarding close contacts.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13531
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:33 am

I find it hard to believe that Banbury will be in the Conference North next season, as it will probably take longer to get there, than to London.

biccynana
Posts: 905
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by biccynana » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:17 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:33 am
I find it hard to believe that Banbury will be in the Conference North next season, as it will probably take longer to get there, than to London.
Slightly further north than Gloucester, Oxford City, and Bishop's Stortford (the latter two former members of NLN) but still a nonsense of course.

H1987
Posts: 1946
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by H1987 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:23 am

Kevin Phillips failing at South Shields is totally hilarious...

To be honest, I've been hoping for Scarborough anyway. I think we can all relate to what they've been through, and with their new ground, it has the potential for a heck of an away day.

The South? Eesh. Who cares. Coalville sounded made up until I googled it (guaranteed two defeats next season now).

shildonlad
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by shildonlad » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:39 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:33 am
I find it hard to believe that Banbury will be in the Conference North next season, as it will probably take longer to get there, than to London.
Yeah bang on, likes of banbury, gloucester, brackley etc are harder to get to than london from the north east, same with hereford. Southports a fair whack by train too. Take away torquay and eastleigh and the national league traveling aint much more and alot of places more accessible
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by shildonlad » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:42 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:23 am
Kevin Phillips failing at South Shields is totally hilarious...

To be honest, I've been hoping for Scarborough anyway. I think we can all relate to what they've been through, and with their new ground, it has the potential for a heck of an away day.

The South? Eesh. Who cares. Coalville sounded made up until I googled it (guaranteed two defeats next season now).
Coalville been southern league and northern premier for a while now, canny bunch of fans who outnumbered home fans when i saw then in the fa trophy when i lived down south. Mind its a pain to get to on public transport
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

MCFCDarlo3
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:28 pm
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City
Location: Manchester

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:55 am

shildonlad wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:39 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:33 am
I find it hard to believe that Banbury will be in the Conference North next season, as it will probably take longer to get there, than to London.
Yeah bang on, likes of banbury, gloucester, brackley etc are harder to get to than london from the north east, same with hereford. Southports a fair whack by train too. Take away torquay and eastleigh and the national league traveling aint much more and alot of places more accessible
Lets hope Brackley go up

polam
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:31 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: NPL and Southern Central play offs

Post by polam » Mon May 02, 2022 6:21 pm

Scarborough Athletic (defeated Warrington) and Peterborough Sports (defeated Coalville) in next season's NLN.

Brackley doing their best to blow promotion again. Looks as though almost half (11 of 23) opponents will be 150+ miles away

Glos, Hereford, Leamington, Brackley, Banbury, Peterborough, Kings Lynn, Boston, Kiddy, Kettering, Telford

Post Reply