Retained list

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Retained list

Post by jjljks » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:04 pm

Wijnhard's_Schlong wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:29 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:27 pm
I'd sign O'Neill any day of the week on a 1 year deal with an option, no farting about with trials. In any case, he might have his sights set higher than us.
Totally agree with this. Get him in!
Yes, Beck has had his day but Ty O'Neill has his best days ahead of him & could link up well with Hazell

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:09 pm

jjljks wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:04 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
I'd sign O'Neill any day of the week on a 1 year deal with an option, no farting about with trials. In any case, he might have his sights set higher than us.
Yes, Beck has had his day but Ty O'Neill has his best days ahead of him & could link up well with Hazell
Had his day? He’s 28, he was our best centre forward in a team that finished in the NLN play offs and has clearly improved since then. O’Neil had a good spell 2 years ago but has shown little since. They’re not even comparable.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:11 pm

darloed19 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:30 pm
Peterborough Sports making some quality signings
Could all be for nowt if there ground does not get a major upgrade
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:30 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:09 pm
jjljks wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Had his day? He’s 28, he was our best centre forward in a team that finished in the NLN play offs and has clearly improved since then. O’Neil had a good spell 2 years ago but has shown little since. They’re not even comparable.
“Clearly improved ” Why do you think that ?

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:53 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:30 pm
CrazyDarlo wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Because he’s been playing two divisions higher and was a key player in their promotion to the EFL.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:44 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:53 pm
Old Git wrote:
CrazyDarlo wrote:
jjljks wrote:

Because he’s been playing two divisions higher and was a key player in their promotion to the EFL.
You make a good argument for Beck being better.

However I think O'Neill is better. My argument for O'Neill being better than Beck is as follows...he just is.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:02 pm

Beck or O’Neill, goals per game ratio, I’ve no idea on that, but one of you stat guys will know.
So which has to best ratio, for Darlo that is ?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:14 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:02 pm
Beck or O’Neill, goals per game ratio, I’ve no idea on that, but one of you stat guys will know.
So which has to best ratio, for Darlo that is ?
For Darlo:
O'Neill - 10 goals in 43 appearances (23%)
Beck - 19 goals in 53 appearances (36%)

Career total
O'Neill - 10 goals in 51 appearances (20% - he's never scored for anyone but us)
Beck - 62 goals in 285 appearances (22%)

Worth noting that prior to joining us, Beck had 13 in 85 (15%) whereas since joining (and leaving) us his record is 49/200 - nearly 25%.

So on paper, Beck's record stands above O'Neill - But Beck was a slow starter in terms of goal-scoring and had made around 100 career appearances before he really started scoring regularly so there's every chance O'Neill could become a more regular scorer with a couple more seasons of experience. There's also every chance he won't.

You can also factor in the players they played with providing more opportunities etc so it's impossible to draw a straight comparison.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:59 am

If Beck were available it's a no brainer. Might be an over significant drop though - notice Gateshead have lost both their strikers this summer already - not sure he suits Williamson's preferred style of play mind.

Defenders hate playing against him regardless of what he scores. He causes problems in the box because he is holding, pulling and pushing defenders and goalkeepers all over.

He gets it back as well but that is fine game and the outcome is the same he 'occupies' defenders and goalkeepers both physically and mentally and it definitely creates space for others.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:00 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:59 am
If Beck were available it's a no brainer. Might be an over significant drop though - notice Gateshead have lost both their strikers this summer already - not sure he suits Williamson's preferred style of play mind.

Defenders hate playing against him regardless of what he scores. He causes problems in the box because he is holding, pulling and pushing defenders and goalkeepers all over.

He gets it back as well but that is fine game and the outcome is the same he 'occupies' defenders and goalkeepers both physically and mentally and it definitely creates space for others.
Never mind whether he suits Gateshead's style of play- that's made me thing, he's not really Armstrong's style of forward is he? We've always tended to play with smaller, trickier forwards since Armstrong came in. Campbell, Charman, Donawa - we've often had a more physical striker in the squad, but I wouldn't say Armstrong's plan A particularly involves that type of player.

Personally I think Beck will get offers to stay full-time anyway, so its a moot point.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:42 pm

Spyman wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:00 am
lo36789 wrote:

Never mind whether he suits Gateshead's style of play- that's made me thing, he's not really Armstrong's style of forward is he? We've always tended to play with smaller, trickier forwards since Armstrong came in. Campbell, Charman, Donawa - we've often had a more physical striker in the squad, but I wouldn't say Armstrong's plan A particularly involves that type of player.

Personally I think Beck will get offers to stay full-time anyway, so its a moot point.
You could probably argue that Cassidy was a bit like Beck in terms of a target man, him and Charman worked well together so that could potentially happen again with Beck and Hazel?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:05 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:42 pm
Spyman wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:00 am
lo36789 wrote:

You could probably argue that Cassidy was a bit like Beck in terms of a target man, him and Charman worked well together so that could potentially happen again with Beck and Hazel?
Might as well have just kept Cassidy if you want a target man.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:32 pm

O'Neil is quality when fit and in the right frame of mind , I personally believe that giving him a full preseason and the chance to prove himself would pay off in the long term, hes only what 23,ish,
We all lauded him whe was first loaned to us he surely has a lot to offer, if he's coached in mind and fitness. Just my opinion, other may think differently.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:38 pm

Beck > O’Neill (by quite a decent margin IMO), however I’d be looking at both rather than 1 or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:02 pm

Totally agree Beck has nothing to prove given his history, but we need to be bringing on young players who may then attract bigger clubs in with a transfer fee. O'Neill has the potential to do this if he can get a good understanding with the rest of our attack. Sorry, but it is where the club is at the moment and selling on players to generate revenue, until we get our own ground.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:15 pm

jjljks wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:02 pm
Totally agree Beck has nothing to prove given his history, but we need to be bringing on young players who may then attract bigger clubs in with a transfer fee.
If only it were that easy. We need the best players possible within our budget. We won't be funding a ground through the odd £20k-£50k fee. Our only serious windfall potential is from an FA Cup run.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:53 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:15 pm
jjljks wrote:
Totally agree Beck has nothing to prove given his history, but we need to be bringing on young players who may then attract bigger clubs in with a transfer fee.
If only it were that easy. We need the best players possible within our budget. We won't be funding a ground through the odd £20k-£50k fee. Our only serious windfall potential is from an FA Cup run.
Selling on players is only one string to our bow in terms of revenue. BTB, 500 club, season tickets, attendance, shop, adverts, 50/50 draws are all very important to our income. The club needs every p & £ we can generate.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:25 am

Its a windfall and it gives breathing space but it shouldn't MENA we don't sign players who are good enough, fit in with what we need because they don't have a sell on value.

Reality is Beck has many options to stay full time in NLN even if he doesn't get fixed up elsewhere.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:57 am

Many options to stay full time in the NLN?

Does he? How do you know this?

Or are you just guessing again?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:07 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:25 am
Its a windfall and it gives breathing space but it shouldn't MENA we don't sign players who are good enough, fit in with what we need because they don't have a sell on value.

Reality is Beck has many options to stay full time in NLN even if he doesn't get fixed up elsewhere.
As he's Sunderland based, I'd imagine he will want to stay in the North-East area.

I think it'll be between us & South Shields where he ends up, can't see him moving to Spennymoor who've already got Taylor/Thewlis/Preston up top.

So wonder what other NLN teams you think he will end up at?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:51 am

Pretty much as you have said of course it's a guess - isnt that what all transfer rumour and supposition is?

I just think there are sufficient full time sides who Beck would be more than good enough for.

Halifax, York, Gateshead, Spennymoor and South Shields are the obvious ones to me.

I'll be honest I actually thought he was Yorkshire based so clubs like Altrincham and Buxton wouldn't have been out of reach either - if he is Sunderland makes that a little unlikely.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:56 am

jjljks wrote:
Totally agree Beck has nothing to prove given his history
Football doesn't work like that IMO. It's what he can do now that matters, I mean Gabbiadini has nothing to prove given his history but we wouldn't want to sign him up.

Personally I'm not sure about Beck, I'm not sure he was a big hit at York.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:12 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:51 am
Pretty much as you have said of course it's a guess - isnt that what all transfer rumour and supposition is?

I just think there are sufficient full time sides who Beck would be more than good enough for.

Halifax, York, Gateshead, Spennymoor and South Shields are the obvious ones to me.

I'll be honest I actually thought he was Yorkshire based so clubs like Altrincham and Buxton wouldn't have been out of reach either - if he is Sunderland makes that a little unlikely.
I was just going by his Twitter handle which shows it as Sunderland.

Personally, I'd love to have him here and hopefully we can see that happening.

Yorkfan
Team Supported: York

Post by Yorkfan » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:28 pm

Beck was average at York, nothing more. He played his part but didn't score anywhere near enough, although Watsons tactics were probably to blame

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:55 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:07 am
lo36789 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:25 am

As he's Sunderland based, I'd imagine he will want to stay in the North-East area.

I think it'll be between us & South Shields where he ends up, can't see him moving to Spennymoor who've already got Taylor/Thewlis/Preston up top.

So wonder what other NLN teams you think he will end up at?
I’d also love him to come back but I’m not sure Alun is looking for that style of play. For me, Beck and Hazel up front could be potentially excellent.

Spendy have arguably a better version of Beck in Taylor, the best player in the division in my opinion, so would only sign him to stop rivals. York could have signed him if they wanted and haven’t but Gateshead have lost their best two forwards for their release clauses and Shields have money to burn.

It’ll be interesting to see where he pitches up.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:32 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:44 pm
CrazyDarlo wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:53 pm
Old Git wrote:
CrazyDarlo wrote:
jjljks wrote:

You make a good argument for Beck being better.

However I think O'Neill is better. My argument for O'Neill being better than Beck is as follows...he just is.
Not sure you’ll convince me.

Darlogramps

Retained list

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:10 pm

Pretty funny reading some of the takes here.

“Beck is not a finisher”
“Beck has had his day”
“I’d prefer Cassidy/O’Neill”

Basically, some of our fans are absolutely clueless.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:20 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Pretty funny reading some of the takes here.

“Beck is not a finisher”
“Beck has had his day”

Yep, I've thought the same myself in recent weeks.

Beck has clearly improved since he was last with us (when he was also very good), and if he keeps up his current form he could well fire us towards a very competitive season.

Being a bit older/more established than your Charman's & Donawa's it's also possible that clubs further up the pyramid are a little less inclined to splash the cash on him - he's already shown what he can/can't do in League 2 and that may put some off. Might not, of course.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

DC

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:54 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:10 pm
Pretty funny reading some of the takes here.

“Beck is not a finisher”
“Beck has had his day”

Well I was in the O'Neill camp...I guess I'm clueless then? I don't think so because I still believe that O'Neill is potentially an excellent player.

Beck has exceeded my expectations by far and right now is an excellent player - he's better than I thought he was going to be. So, due to new evidence being presented - ie Beck's form - now I agree that signing Beck rather than O'Neill was the best move.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:59 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:32 pm
Not sure you’ll convince me.
I did say you made a good argument for Beck being better...

And so it proved to be...at this point anyway.

I was happy enough that we signed Beck anyway - even though I had been bulling O'Neill up.

The fact that Beck is a better player than last time is just a bonus for me.