Darlo’s worst XI

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darloed19
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo’s worst XI

Post by darloed19 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:52 pm

I am bored refreshing Twitter for transfer new so what is your worst darlo eleven (done best XI before)

Knight

Kane
Brandon Taylor
Plumber
Akinson
Burn

Caton
Xaiver
Mulligan

Broughton
Diop

Old Git

Re: Darlo’s worst XI

Post by Old Git » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:13 am

darloed19 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:52 pm
I am bored refreshing Twitter for transfer new so what is your worst darlo eleven (done best XI before)

Knight

Kane
Brandon Taylor
Plumber
Akinson
Burn

Caton
Xaiver
Mulligan

Broughton
Diop
I assume you mean Johnny Burn and not Dan Burn 🤣
Which Atkinson are you referring to? I am guessing not Brian but more likely the lad that AA brought from Blyth. Also haven’t a clue who Kane and Plumber are. They must have been so bad I have erased them from my memory.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:38 pm

Old Git wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:13 am
darloed19 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:52 pm

Knight

Kane
Brandon Taylor
Plumber
Akinson
Burn

Caton
Xaiver
Mulligan

Broughton
Diop
I assume you mean Johnny Burn and not Dan Burn 🤣
Which Atkinson are you referring to? I am guessing not Brian but more likely the lad that AA brought from Blyth. Also haven’t a clue who Kane and Plumber are. They must have been so bad I have erased them from my memory.

Yes to the above. Kane we had on loan from Carlisle can’t remember what year, but got subbed off at half time because he was dreadful, and plumber we got from Bradford in the year we got relegated from football league.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:44 pm

I think you're a bit harsh on Nathan Mulligan there who I don't think was too bad relative to the level we were at?

I assume your other midfielder is Xavier Barrau? Don't remember much about him except a red card early on in a game at the Arena.

Tbh the list of woeful players we've had down the years is too long to put a team together. Maybe a minimum of 10 appearances or something would make it more achievable?

The problem is, crap players tend not to play a lot of games so it's actually quite hard to do. You could just go through most of the Todd/Staunton season and make 3 or 4 teams of complete dross.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:30 pm

Spyman wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:44 pm
I think you're a bit harsh on Nathan Mulligan there who I don't think was too bad relative to the level we were at?

I assume your other midfielder is Xavier Barrau? Don't remember much about him except a red card early on in a game at the Arena.

Tbh the list of woeful players we've had down the years is too long to put a team together. Maybe a minimum of 10 appearances or something would make it more achievable?

The problem is, crap players tend not to play a lot of games so it's actually quite hard to do. You could just go through most of the Todd/Staunton season and make 3 or 4 teams of complete dross.

It is really weird that you mention Mulligan because I am currently sorting out all programmes and I had across Chesterfield vs Darlington. In the programme they have an interview with mulligan about how we signed him from the Northern League and how he battled with leukaemia. Weird how I have just come across this after picking up a random programme.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:37 pm

I would say that a worst XI should only include players that were signed onto permanent contracts rather than loan signings (which can be hit and miss). So on that basis here is my go:

Michael Price - Goalkeeper

Craig James - Defender
Matt Plummer - Defender
Exodus Geohaghon - Defender

Clint Marcelle - Midfield
Chris Lumsdon - Midfield
Kevin Gall - Midfield
Xavier Barrau - Midfield

Glenn Robson - Striker
Noel Whelan - Striker
Patrick Deane - Striker

From my time supporting the club from the late 90's the main duds come from seasons 01-04, 06-07, 09-10 & 11-12, although a couple of Tommy Wright's signings I suppose could have been included if this was expanded to include some subsitutes.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:44 pm

I have seen too much shite in the last 32 years to allow my mind to be drawn back into nightmarish flashbacks thinking of a worse XI
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:15 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:I would say that a worst XI should only include players that were signed onto permanent contracts rather than loan signings (which can be hit and miss). So on that basis here is my go:

Michael Price - Goalkeeper

Craig James - Defender
Matt Plummer - Defender
Exodus Geohaghon - Defender

Clint Marcelle - Midfield
Chris Lumsdon - Midfield
Kevin Gall - Midfield
Xavier Barrau - Midfield

Glenn Robson - Striker
Noel Whelan - Striker
Patrick Deane - Striker

From my time supporting the club from the late 90's the main duds come from seasons 01-04, 06-07, 09-10 & 11-12, although a couple of Tommy Wright's signings I suppose could have been included if this was expanded to include some subsitutes.
I don't think Lumsdon was bad, he was just permanently injured. I think he only managed one or two appearances!

Forgot about Kevin Gall, he was awful!

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:43 pm

Windass as well, granted he was 40 odd, but was terrible.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:29 pm

Ton Kaak.

“Better than Gabbiadini” Said G.R.

:lol:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:58 am

What about that 'goalkeeper' we found on a beach in Spain I think, Jones? Didn't he let in 3 goals in about 20 mins and was subbed off and never heard of again?
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:18 am

Ashley Jones, I think you're talking about. Played once against Notts County and had an absolute shocker.

I think you're getting his back story mixed up with a striker we signed that same season, Mor Diop. He joined from a club in Ibiza hence the story about him being found on the beach or something.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2 ... .C._season

Some shockers on this list, Riki Baines another to add.

DC

Wing Commander Darlo

Post by Wing Commander Darlo » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:09 am

Lee Nogan.

That is all.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:34 am

MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:58 am
What about that 'goalkeeper' we found on a beach in Spain I think, Jones? Didn't he let in 3 goals in about 20 mins and was subbed off and never heard of again?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashlee_Jones

Christ, 32 club moves (including loans) in 17 seasons.

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:48 am

Jefferson louis has to be amongst the worst darlo players.. For me personally he's the worst player I've ever seen at any standard above Sunday morning pub football

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:51 pm

Wing Commander Darlo wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:09 am
Lee Nogan.

That is all.
You cannot seriously think he was one of the worst XI players to play for the club?

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:01 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:51 pm
Lee Nogan.

That is all.
You cannot seriously think he was one of the worst XI players to play for the club?
There must be some confusion here - Nogan wasn't a bad player at all in my view. Does anyone else remember Roger Wicks from the early 80's or Harry Wilson from the same period ? Right pair of unlikely lads.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:01 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Lee Nogan.

That is all.
There must be some confusion here - Nogan wasn't a bad player at all in my view. Does anyone else remember Roger Wicks from the early 80's or Harry Wilson from the same period ? Right pair of unlikely lads.

quakermass

Post by quakermass » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:23 pm

Upfront we’d have to include the centre forward McMahon (can’t remember his first name but I think we signed him from China). I remember him jumping for a header and his jump was that badly mistimed when he landed the ball was still in the air! We’ve had some shockers over the years though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:58 pm

quakermass wrote:Upfront we’d have to include the centre forward McMahon (can’t remember his first name but I think we signed him from China). I remember him jumping for a header and his jump was that badly mistimed when he landed the ball was still in the air! We’ve had some shockers over the years though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve McMahon, absolutely useless, was about 6'5 and I remember an open goal about 2 yards out and went in off the crossbar.That was his only goal and VodkaVic has the same recollection of this goal.My god was he useless.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:27 pm

At least he scored it. Paul Beevers had a similar header at Barnet and he mistimed it so badly it hit his chest and went straight into the keepers arms.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:22 pm

I was thinking of Paul Beavers too. If I remember right he only scored one goal for Darlo, it was in front of The Tinshed and deflected in off of his backside.

Important goal though.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:19 am

There was also a David McMahon around the same time as Beavers who I think we had on loan from Newcastle. He was also terrible.

Nogan wasn't anywhere near the worst we've had and was a pretty key part of the playoff squad. He did underwhelm though, he came in with a bit of a reputation and didn't set the world alight, in the end Duffield replaced him as Gabbiadini's foil.

DC

feethams

Post by feethams » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:30 pm

A few names that send shivers down the spine... Dominik Werling, Johnny Burn, Noel Whelan, Lehit Zeghdane, Fabien Bossy, James Caton

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:20 pm

Did Werling ever play for us? I thought he sacked us off with Simon Davey.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:58 am

Werling didn’t even play did he?

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:17 am

divas wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:58 am
Werling didn’t even play did he?
Was meant to be signing for us when Simon Davey joined us briefly...until he promptly resigned by email at the end of season 09/10 whilst on holiday.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:37 am

Wiseacre wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:01 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Lee Nogan.

That is all.
Remember Harry Wilson he was a left back and a very ropey one at that.
One of my worst players would have to be a goalkeeper called Ernie Adams from the 1970s. He never filled me with any confidence at all, and worse still it looked like those in front of him shared my view.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:49 am

Surprised nobody has mentioned Bernie Slaven a complete waste of space. I remember seeing him actual scored a goal at Hyde in the FA Cup. He tapped in from about a foot and he reacted like he scored a screamer from 40 yards. To be fair there are many contenders for this accolade.

Spratts corner

Post by Spratts corner » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:29 am

Kirk Jackson... enough said !!!