Potential new signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darloed19
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by darloed19 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:45 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:07 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:Darloed, you say "The early bird catches the first worm". What about "Slow and steady wins the race"?
We had our first three permanent signings (Rose, Hazel and Sukar) sorted by May 19th. Hazel was sorted before the last game of the season. That all seems pretty early to me.

By mid-June we had 15 players in the squad, much further down the line than last pre-season.

Other than having the entire squad signed up and sorted before returning for pre-season (which is pretty risky, committing an entire squad to contracts before seeing them in training and friendlies), I’m not sure what else DarloEd wants.

But as I’ve said, myself and others on this board have doubts about how genuine a supporter he is.
You still banging on with yourself

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:02 pm

darloed19 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:07 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:Darloed, you say "The early bird catches the first worm". What about "Slow and steady wins the race"?
We had our first three permanent signings (Rose, Hazel and Sukar) sorted by May 19th. Hazel was sorted before the last game of the season. That all seems pretty early to me.

By mid-June we had 15 players in the squad, much further down the line than last pre-season.

Other than having the entire squad signed up and sorted before returning for pre-season (which is pretty risky, committing an entire squad to contracts before seeing them in training and friendlies), I’m not sure what else DarloEd wants.

But as I’ve said, myself and others on this board have doubts about how genuine a supporter he is.
You still banging on with yourself
No, talking to Vodka_Vic actually. Would’ve thought that was fairly obvious.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:16 pm

My opinion is I feel that our current squad isn’t good enough to compete for playoffs we have a good defence, but our attacking options are limited based on the players that we have signed and others around us have signed. I understand that we are in mid-June and deals are yet to be done, hopefully we can sign some good caliber players that will also us to compete near the playoffs. Apologies if my opinions have been misconstrued as “trolly”. I hope I am wrong, but having an opinion that isn’t favourable doesn’t make me any less of a fan.

Darlogramps

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:28 pm

darloed19 wrote:My opinion is I feel that our current squad isn’t good enough to compete for playoffs
Of course it isn’t, because we haven’t completed our business yet. Players have been on holiday. Contracts still run until June 30th.

As a genuine question, why are you so desperate to make any sort of judgement now? The players haven’t returned for pre-season yet. Why not see who else we bring in over the next few weeks, and then come to a conclusion?

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:30 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:28 pm
darloed19 wrote:My opinion is I feel that our current squad isn’t good enough to compete for playoffs
Of course it isn’t, because we haven’t completed our business yet. Players have been on holiday. Contracts still run until June 30th.

As a genuine question, why are you so desperate to make any sort of judgement now? The players haven’t returned for pre-season yet. Why not see who else we bring in over the next few weeks, and then come to a conclusion?
Well let’s hope we do and my opinion will change

Darlogramps

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:18 pm

darloed19 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

You haven’t answered the question. Why do you have the need to form an opinion now, before we’ve completed all our signings or kicked a ball in pre-season training?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:36 am

Still plenty of players out there, plenty of pre-season to go & absolutely no need for panic.

I feel we are in a much stronger position than this time last year.

Currently we've got a potential line up of:
Taylor,
Griffiths, Wheater, Lawlor, Hedley,
Moke, Rose, Purver,
Mondal, Hazel, Lambert.

Bench of:
Martin, KDS, Sukar, Rivers

A couple signings here & there, then on paper we've got a half decent shot at the play-offs. I'd rather AA spent the money wisely instead of just getting in anyone for the sake of it.
Last edited by AndyPark on Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:51 am

I fully expect Mondal will move on

Beck will hopefully sign soon which will give us a massive boost. Rumour is Tyrone will sign for the vibes!

Hopefully AA will have the number of Luis Longstaff

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:03 am

My view is that we are miles ahead of this time last year (which we know AA messed up) ) but still short of maybe 3/4 quality players good enough to get into team. Time will tell and can only judge I agree as season gets nearer whether AA has done a good job with recruitment.
No excuses for him though as reckon with transfer money and BTB (maybe £200k) plus normal player budget he must have a competitive budget again to play with.
My disappointment is that he must have been in for likes of Woods, Lowe, Cooper, Felix , Allen and others who undoubtedly are the 3/4 type of players we need but they chose other clubs. Understand the probable reasons why, eg full time, wealthy owners etc and that’s the frustration we have to live with currently.
Judge the squad I agree in a few weeks but a positive imminent signing would be very welcome!

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:05 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:18 pm
darloed19 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

You haven’t answered the question. Why do you have the need to form an opinion now, before we’ve completed all our signings or kicked a ball in pre-season training?
You’re relentless and tedious… my original point is based upon players that other teams have signed around us. We have made a good start with Hazel and I am probably being impatient. I would like to see a couple more signings before the first preseason game.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:06 am

AndyPark wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:36 am
Still plenty of players out there, plenty of pre-season to go & absolutely no need for panic.

I feel we are in a much stronger position than this time last year.

Currently we've got a potential line up of:
Taylor,
Griffiths, Wheater, Lawlor, Hedley,
Moke, Rose, Purver,
Mondal, Hazel, Rivers.

Bench of:
Martin, KDS, Sukar.

A couple signings here & there, then on paper we've got a half decent shot at the play-offs. I'd rather AA spent the money wisely instead of just getting in anyone for the sake of it.
You forgot about lambert

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:20 am

darloed19 wrote:
You’re relentless and tedious… my original point is based upon players that other teams have signed around us. We have made a good start with Hazel and I am probably being impatient. I would like to see a couple more signings before the first preseason game.
Huzzah! We’ve got there. Glad you’ve conceded to being impatient. Hold your nerve and it will all come good. Fortunately AA doesn’t have to work to your deadlines so we’ll be fine.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:22 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:20 am
darloed19 wrote:
Huzzah! We’ve got there. Glad you’ve conceded to being impatient. Hold your nerve and it will all come good. Fortunately AA doesn’t have to work to your deadlines so we’ll be fine.
Well let’s hope this time next year I am complaining about AA not getting a squad together quick enough for the national league.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:23 am

Having the trio of Taylor, Wheater and Lawlor signed up for me is the bit we have really been missing in previous seasons.

There are a couple of bits missing and some back up needed but feel less like fundamental gaps than we have had previously.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:33 am

I'm pretty happy with our early work in the window, we secured key players like Taylor, Lambert and Lawlor, and added in some quality in Rose and hopefully Hazel based on his previous record.

To go for playoffs i think we'd still need to add:
- Squad player CB
- Ball winning midfielder
- Wide player with some out and out pace
- Target man CF

Plenty of time left before the start of the season to find the above and as has been said above we have the building blocks of a back four already in place. Which certainly wasn't the case last pre-season.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:01 pm

JE93 wrote:I'm pretty happy with our early work in the window, we secured key players like Taylor, Lambert and Lawlor, and added in some quality in Rose and hopefully Hazel based on his previous record.

- Squad player CB
- Target man CF

Plenty of time left before the start of the season to find the above and as has been said above we have the building blocks of a back four already in place. Which certainly wasn't the case last pre-season.
Agree with this, if we bring in quality for the 4 positions you mentioned, then I see no reason at all why we should not be challenging at the top end of the table.Many players are contracted to the 30th June so things should move a lot quicker from then.Noticed that this is the case with Harrogate so possibly Beck and Leedley may be options for AA.Next couple of weeks will be interesting.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:00 pm

JE93 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:33 am
I'm pretty happy with our early work in the window, we secured key players like Taylor, Lambert and Lawlor, and added in some quality in Rose and hopefully Hazel based on his previous record.

- Squad player CB
- Target man CF

Agree we are in a stronger position than this time last year. It is not just about the new faces added since the end of last season but take into account those that arrived during last season. If we had players such as Wheater, Lawlor, Rose, and Moke at the beginning of last season then I think we would not have struggled to the same extent as we did.
We have lost Hatfield and Charman since then but overall, if we can add 3/4 players to the squad we should at least be competitive.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:41 pm

e4sby wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:51 am
I fully expect Mondal will move on

Beck will hopefully sign soon which will give us a massive boost. Rumour is Tyrone will sign for the vibes!

Hopefully AA will have the number of Luis Longstaff
I heard that Spendy were a bit short on vibes this season?

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:55 pm

JE93 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:33 am

- Squad player CB
- Target man CF

Agree with this but I think we should be looking at 2 strikers one being a target man(Beck) and another for extra depth and quality rather than using mondal who prefers a wider role(Willoughby)

A winger who could add around 10 goals would be great and like said a lot of pace too (Longstaff, Hayes, Leesley and I highly doubt it I know but for the fun of it Sousa)

Wouldn’t be against an attacking midfielder like a Jamie Hopcutt or Stephen Wearne

Centre Back I imagine we look at the loan market for that one

Ball winning midfielder who can drive forward- noticed Ben Liddle has been released he could be a shout.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:20 pm

I hear Grimsby are after Wearne. Be surprised if he comes here.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:00 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:20 pm
I hear Grimsby are after Wearne. Be surprised if he comes here.
Confirmed now.

https://gtfc.co.uk/wearne-is-a-mariner/

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:16 pm

Ok, understand still plenty of time and have a nucleus of a side which differs from last year. Get it.
Cannot deny though that we were all saying similar things last summer and it ended up pear shaped. Agree we have to aim high to quote AA but that only works if we actually get some of those players.
Another one which would be surprised if he was not after chosen another club today, Wearne, must be 5/6 that we know of.
Becoming less confident in his ability to petsuade these type of players .
Mind you happy to eat my words next week when Beck and Leesley sign!!!

Darlogramps

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:17 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Ok, understand still plenty of time and have a nucleus of a side which differs from last year. Get it.
Cannot deny though that we were all saying similar things last summer and it ended up pear shaped. Agree we have to aim high to quote AA but that only works if we actually get some of those players.
Another one which would be surprised if he was not after chosen another club today, Wearne, must be 5/6 that we know of.
Flap flap flappity flap.

Who are the six players we’ve missed out on? Would be good for you to name them, so everyone is on the same page.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:30 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:16 pm

Cannot deny though that we were all saying similar things last summer and it ended up pear shaped. Agree we have to
Last summer even in pre-season and start of season, I and no doubt most others were saying our defence is awful and unsure where the goals would come from (up stepped Charman, but he hadn't scored a league goal up until that).

This summer I think we have reasonable options in Defence and Midfield with at least one forward short. I would safely say we are in a miles better position than this time last year, if we add a CB, Winger, CM, Forward all of a decent standard then I think we are a different world from last season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a signing in the next week or so, especially after 1st July.

All in all I am comfortable where we are at with the squad currently, now I will be disappointed if no signings by mid way through July though. The mid July is because I want us to be ready to go from day one this season, starting badly isn't an option.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:43 pm

Agreed, 1st July we may be able to announce some if contracts run out on 30th June. No news does not equal nothing happening behind the scenes.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:58 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:17 pm
Quakerlad wrote:Ok, understand still plenty of time and have a nucleus of a side which differs from last year. Get it.
Flap flap flappity flap.

Who are the six players we’ve missed out on? Would be good for you to name them, so everyone is on the same page.
Exactly this^
We’d all be interested to know the names of the 5/6 players you KNOW we’ve missed out on.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:08 pm

I can only assume he is meaning Nathan Lowe, Kaine Felix, Stephen Wearne... Not sure who else, going by names mentioned on this thread.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:17 pm

AndyPark wrote:I can only assume he is meaning Nathan Lowe, Kaine Felix, Stephen Wearne... Not sure who else, going by names mentioned on this thread.
And of those three, the only one confirmed by the club that we were definitely in for was Lowe.

I appreciate fans will have heard various rumours and so on, and I’ve no reason to doubt those who’ve posted them in good faith. But there’s a difference between a fan hearing a rumour and AA confirming we’ve made an offer.

So I’d be interested to know the 5/6 players Quakerlad knows for definite we’ve missed out on.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:43 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:08 pm
I can only assume he is meaning Nathan Lowe, Kaine Felix, Stephen Wearne... Not sure who else, going by names mentioned on this thread.
Jake Cooper and JJ O'Donnell.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:22 pm

Would be amazed if we hadn’t tried for Lowe, Woods, Allen, Cooper, O’Donnell, Felix, Wearne etc. All good players who would have added value in positions that most of us have said we need strengthening.
Totally accept that some will have gone to full time clubs which we cannot compete with and of course it is pure conjecture as to whether we we tried for them but my guess is we probably would have liked a few of them, and AA must have a decent budget to play with.
Not flapping at all, just a bit disappointed with slow progress again which mirrors last summer and am sure that we would all have been excited by the squad we have plus even 2/3 from list above.
Also like I said, hope AA proves me wrong and signs a couple of blinders next week.