Potential new signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Posts: 10014
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:41 am

darloed19 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:05 am
Long shot, but what about Marcus Carver from scumlepool?
Didn't they only just sign him in January? He's contracted for this season so I guess a loan would be possible.

I have a suspicion that if he were available then Jamie would be in for him from Buxton.

User avatar
TKOA
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:59 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Manchester

Re: Potential new signings

Post by TKOA » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:50 am

Kaine Felix has signed for Peterborough Sports. Wasn’t expecting that one but apparently he lives there. They’ve made 4 other signings which seem good on paper. Maybe dark horses for next season?

LoidLucan
Posts: 3773
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:52 am

They would have some ground issues to address first. The ground as it stands has a capacity of 2,300, including 266 covered seats. They have been rising rapidly through the leagues in recent years following investment on the playing side. According to their website they also have a backroom staff of ten, including a sports scientist, analyst, assistant analyst and assistant physio! Most of their attendances last season were around the 200-300 mark.

User avatar
TKOA
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:59 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Manchester

Re: Potential new signings

Post by TKOA » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:46 pm

Oh great, sounds like another Brackley to
contend with!

LoidLucan
Posts: 3773
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:51 pm

It's quite incredible that they were in the Peterborough and District League as recently as 2013.

jjljks
Posts: 2524
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by jjljks » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:52 am

TKOA wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:46 pm
Oh great, sounds like another Brackley to
contend with!
On the other hand, straightforward trip by train or A1 down there, easier than Brackley. Exiles in south would get there easily too, mebbe an issue whether we could all squeeze in!

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:29 am

jjljks wrote:
TKOA wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:46 pm
Oh great, sounds like another Brackley to
contend with!
On the other hand, straightforward trip by train or A1 down there, easier than Brackley. Exiles in south would get there easily too, mebbe an issue whether we could all squeeze in!
I think it was stated on here that it’s not the most welcoming place for away fans and it’s some way out from the railway station.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maurice_Peddelty
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:36 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:29 am
jjljks wrote:
TKOA wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:46 pm
Oh great, sounds like another Brackley to
contend with!
On the other hand, straightforward trip by train or A1 down there, easier than Brackley. Exiles in south would get there easily too, mebbe an issue whether we could all squeeze in!
I think it was stated on here that it’s not the most welcoming place for away fans and it’s some way out from the railway station.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peterborough Sports is around 1.4 miles on foot from the station, about 25 minutes walking. London Road is just over a mile from the station- about a 20 minute walk in the good old days.

darloed19
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by darloed19 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:57 am

When do we think we will actually make a signing been nearly 5 weeks now since our last one and with preseason just around the corner…

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2382
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:10 am

darloed19 wrote:When do we think we will actually make a signing been nearly 5 weeks now since our last one and with preseason just around the corner…
Wouldn’t mind an update from Ray and AA tbh, have some of our targets failed to materialise ?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

darloed19
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by darloed19 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:11 am

Looking at the likes of Kidderminster, Boston and even Peterborough Sports making quality signings is so frustrating. I honestly feel a bottom half finish this season is the reality.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5945
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:23 am

darloed19 wrote:Looking at the likes of Kidderminster, Boston and even Peterborough Sports making quality signings is so frustrating. I honestly feel a bottom half finish this season is the reality.
You are definitely a troll on the wind up.

Another six weeks until the season starts, the bulk of last season’s squad signed up leaving us needing 3/4 signings realistically.

Saying we’ll finish bottom half when we’re not at the end of June is flapping of the highest order or an attempt at baiting people for a reaction. I suspect it’s the latter. As many other people have said previously about you, I have my doubts about whether you’re actually a Darlo fan, or are just on here to stir the pot.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

darloed19
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by darloed19 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:25 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:23 am
darloed19 wrote:Looking at the likes of Kidderminster, Boston and even Peterborough Sports making quality signings is so frustrating. I honestly feel a bottom half finish this season is the reality.
You are definitely a troll on the wind up.

Another six weeks until the season starts, the bulk of last season’s squad signed up leaving us needing 3/4 signings realistically.

Saying we’ll finish bottom half when we’re not at the end of June is flapping of the highest order or an attempt at baiting people for a reaction. I suspect it’s the latter.
Having an opinion doesn’t make me a troll…

darloed19
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by darloed19 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:26 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:23 am
darloed19 wrote:Looking at the likes of Kidderminster, Boston and even Peterborough Sports making quality signings is so frustrating. I honestly feel a bottom half finish this season is the reality.
You are definitely a troll on the wind up.

Another six weeks until the season starts, the bulk of last season’s squad signed up leaving us needing 3/4 signings realistically.

Saying we’ll finish bottom half when we’re not at the end of June is flapping of the highest order or an attempt at baiting people for a reaction. I suspect it’s the latter.
If you haven’t got any response than “you’re troll” then what is the point of you being on forum.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5945
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:30 am

If your opinion is a ludicrous one designed to get a rise out of people, then I’ve every right to challenge you on it.

And saying we’ll finish bottom half of the table when we’re not at the end of June is a silly, baseless opinion. Don’t make the mistake of thinking because you hold an opinion I have to respect it.

But as I say, I think you’re simply exaggerating to try and wind people up. The fact you’ve got quite defensive and personal towards me rather than explaining your opinion only reinforces that.

As I said, there’s another six weeks until the season starts. There’ll be more transfer activity once players and managers return for pre-season after holidays away. AA even said earlier in the summer he can take time to get the right players in. I’d rather he did that than simply sign anyone to placate impatient (genuine) fans.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

darloed19
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by darloed19 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:39 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:30 am
If your opinion is a ludicrous one designed to get a rise out of people, then I’ve every right to challenge you on it.

And saying we’ll finish bottom half of the table when we’re not at the end of June is a silly, baseless opinion. Don’t make the mistake of thinking because you hold an opinion I have to respect it.

But as I say, I think you’re simply exaggerating to try and wind people up.

As I said, there’s another six weeks until the season starts. There’ll be more transfer activity once players and managers return for pre-season after holidays away. AA even said earlier in the summer he can take time to get the right players in. I’d rather he did that than simply sign anyone to placate impatient (genuine) fans.
Maybe try using logic and reason in a coherent argument, instead of "you are a troll" then. The fact that every message you ever send on this forum is argumentative and challenging; so if anything you are the troll sir.

Further to your point, the fact that clubs that we are supposedly challenging for playoffs next season are miles ahead of us already, it seems like we are sleepwalking into the same situation as last year. Furthermore, AA said himself he wanted to have a squad ready for the start of the season to prevent what happened last season..... I do believe with our current squad we will be aiming for a lower half finish this season, hopefully I am proven wrong, but the early bird catches the worm.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 12065
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:54 am

Without fail, every year, in late June people start flapping about a lack of transfer activity as players and managers are on holiday.

Without fail, every year, in early and mid-July, we make a few signings as pre-season kicks in.

Like clockwork.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Old Git
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by Old Git » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:57 am

I certainly don’t always agree with Gramps, but he is correct on this one. We already have the basis of a decent squad, and further signings need to be the right ones to strengthen it in depth. I am sure AA is on the case and working hard behind the scenes. No need to panic at this stage.

tdk1
Posts: 2254
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by tdk1 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:08 am

No doubt we'll have some players on trial when the friendlies come around too.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5945
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:55 am

darloed19 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:30 am
If your opinion is a ludicrous one designed to get a rise out of people, then I’ve every right to challenge you on it.

And saying we’ll finish bottom half of the table when we’re not at the end of June is a silly, baseless opinion. Don’t make the mistake of thinking because you hold an opinion I have to respect it.

But as I say, I think you’re simply exaggerating to try and wind people up.

As I said, there’s another six weeks until the season starts. There’ll be more transfer activity once players and managers return for pre-season after holidays away. AA even said earlier in the summer he can take time to get the right players in. I’d rather he did that than simply sign anyone to placate impatient (genuine) fans.
Maybe try using logic and reason in a coherent argument, instead of "you are a troll" then. The fact that every message you ever send on this forum is argumentative and challenging; so if anything you are the troll sir.
I’ve used plenty of logic and reason to explain my position on our summer so far. But I also think you’re a troll. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Apologies if two concepts is a little difficult for you to get your little troll-head around.
darloed19 wrote:
Further to your point, the fact that clubs that we are supposedly challenging for playoffs next season are miles ahead of us already, it seems like we are sleepwalking into the same situation as last year. Furthermore, AA said himself he wanted to have a squad ready for the start of the season to prevent what happened last season..... I do believe with our current squad we will be aiming for a lower half finish this season, hopefully I am proven wrong, but the early bird catches the worm.
See this is what I’m talking about. How do you know other clubs are “miles ahead of us”? We’ve made three new permanent signings in Rose, Hazel (the top scorer in the division below who we signed before the season ended), and then Sukar. That’s pretty early work, wouldn’t you say?

We’ve got a pretty good squad which we know can perform well at this level. Add 3/4 more good quality signings and we’ll be in really good shape.

It’s beyond me how, with six weeks until the season starts, you can say we’re heading for the bottom half. The only argument you’ve presented for that is we haven’t got all our business done. Well I’d be concerned if we had signed everyone in June.

Nothing happens in football in June. Players, management and club staff are on holiday, negotiations are ongoing and actually, for clubs in our position, it’s important to see how players fare in training/friendlies before committing to signing them.

Trouble for you is quite a few people on this board also reckon you’re a wind-up merchant. No smoke without fire and all that. Start being more reasonable and sensible and the trolling accusations will stop. It’s up to you.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

darloed19
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by darloed19 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:00 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:55 am
darloed19 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:30 am
If your opinion is a ludicrous one designed to get a rise out of people, then I’ve every right to challenge you on it.

And saying we’ll finish bottom half of the table when we’re not at the end of June is a silly, baseless opinion. Don’t make the mistake of thinking because you hold an opinion I have to respect it.

But as I say, I think you’re simply exaggerating to try and wind people up.

As I said, there’s another six weeks until the season starts. There’ll be more transfer activity once players and managers return for pre-season after holidays away. AA even said earlier in the summer he can take time to get the right players in. I’d rather he did that than simply sign anyone to placate impatient (genuine) fans.
Maybe try using logic and reason in a coherent argument, instead of "you are a troll" then. The fact that every message you ever send on this forum is argumentative and challenging; so if anything you are the troll sir.
I’ve used plenty of logic and reason to explain my position on our summer so far. But I also think you’re a troll. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Apologies if two concepts is a little difficult for you to get your little troll-head around.
darloed19 wrote:
Further to your point, the fact that clubs that we are supposedly challenging for playoffs next season are miles ahead of us already, it seems like we are sleepwalking into the same situation as last year. Furthermore, AA said himself he wanted to have a squad ready for the start of the season to prevent what happened last season..... I do believe with our current squad we will be aiming for a lower half finish this season, hopefully I am proven wrong, but the early bird catches the worm.
See this is what I’m talking about. How do you know other clubs are “miles ahead of us”? You’ve got no basis to say that, other than other clubs have made some signings. Well we’ve done exactly the same. Three new permanent signings is hardly us being inactive.

We’ve got a pretty good squad which we know can perform well at this level. Add 3/4 more good quality signings and we’ll be in really good shape.

It’s beyond me how, with six weeks until the season starts, you can say we’re heading for the bottom half. You’ve not justified that at all. That’s why I think you’re trolling to try and wind people up. And the fact I’ve called you out on it has clearly upset you.

Trouble for you is quite a few people on this board also reckon you’re a wind-up merchant. No smoke without fire and all that. Start being more reasonable and sensible and the trolling accusations will stop. It’s up to you.
Okay

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:09 am

darloed19 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:25 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:23 am
darloed19 wrote:Looking at the likes of Kidderminster, Boston and even Peterborough Sports making quality signings is so frustrating. I honestly feel a bottom half finish this season is the reality.
You are definitely a troll on the wind up.

Another six weeks until the season starts, the bulk of last season’s squad signed up leaving us needing 3/4 signings realistically.

Saying we’ll finish bottom half when we’re not at the end of June is flapping of the highest order or an attempt at baiting people for a reaction. I suspect it’s the latter.
Having an opinion doesn’t make me a troll…
No but using an ellipsis at the end of your sentence does.
#Arenaherewecome

darloed19
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by darloed19 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:12 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:09 am
darloed19 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:25 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:23 am
darloed19 wrote:Looking at the likes of Kidderminster, Boston and even Peterborough Sports making quality signings is so frustrating. I honestly feel a bottom half finish this season is the reality.
You are definitely a troll on the wind up.

Another six weeks until the season starts, the bulk of last season’s squad signed up leaving us needing 3/4 signings realistically.

Saying we’ll finish bottom half when we’re not at the end of June is flapping of the highest order or an attempt at baiting people for a reaction. I suspect it’s the latter.
Having an opinion doesn’t make me a troll…
No but using an ellipsis at the end of your sentence does.
Okay

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:11 pm

You're welcome...
#Arenaherewecome

Darlopartisan
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:14 pm

Educational stuff this, I now know what an ellipsis is... 😀

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:47 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:14 pm
Educational stuff this, I now know what an ellipsis is... 😀
I wonder if Mark Beck also does...?
#Arenaherewecome

50 years
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by 50 years » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:28 pm

Could it also be that AA has players lined up, but is unable to announce them until 1st July as they may be contracted till 30th June?

I am sure AA has learned from the other year and will have some irons in the fire, but in the meantime we already have a team that should have a reasonable start to the season imo. Really looking forward to the season starting again, i am missing the Darlo games.

Up the Quakers😁

darlo2001uk
Posts: 1401
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:22 pm

50 years wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:28 pm
Could it also be that AA has players lined up, but is unable to announce them until 1st July as they may be contracted till 30th June?
This.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2325
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:20 pm

Darloed, you say "The early bird catches the first worm". What about "Slow and steady wins the race"?

Darlogramps
Posts: 5945
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:07 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Darloed, you say "The early bird catches the first worm". What about "Slow and steady wins the race"?
We had our first three permanent signings (Rose, Hazel and Sukar) sorted by May 19th. Hazel was sorted before the last game of the season. That all seems pretty early to me.

By mid-June we had 15 players in the squad, much further down the line than last pre-season.

Other than having the entire squad signed up and sorted before returning for pre-season (which is pretty risky, committing an entire squad to contracts before seeing them in training and friendlies), I’m not sure what else DarloEd wants.

But as I’ve said, myself and others on this board have doubts about how genuine a supporter he is.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Post Reply