Fan Owned

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

Fan Owned

Post by spen666 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:09 pm

York City now fan owned

https://www.ycst.org.uk/supporters-trus ... mp-shares/

Interesting to see how they manage being fan owned and full time going forward

AndyPark

Re: Fan Owned

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:45 pm

Good luck to them, would love to see how they are going to stay financially afloat whilst being FT.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:35 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:45 pm
Good luck to them, would love to see how they are going to stay financially afloat whilst being FT.
They might have to trim the budget a bit, but aren't they getting gates of 2,500-3,000 and have a new ground which may provide decent earning potential.

Put it another way, if they can't manage, then there's no point us ever trying to emulate it in the future.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:42 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:45 pm
That was my thinking as well.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:34 pm

I predict the York Trust will sell at least 50% of the club to a new backer. There’s no way the Trust will be able to manage the club on its own.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:11 pm

Not fully fan owned seen as a business man has 51% ownership
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:41 pm

So they aren't fan owned then?

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:05 pm

When I last looked they were overdue in filing year end accounts at Companies House.
The last set which were lodged disclosed very high debts
I wonder what is happening or has happened to that debt mountain.
If the club is carrying huge debts it is a little difficult to see how fan ownership will be able to deal with them

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:02 pm

Wasn't the talk that the sale of bootham crescent would settle the debts and allow for the club to be run on an even keel? That would have happened well after the last accounts due date and I suspect the sale earlier in the summer is why it's happened now.

Good luck to them, the more successful fan owned clubs the better

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:13 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:41 pm

York City, fan owned or not fan owned, that is the question? Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or blah blah blah -

Edit, it seems a business man called Glen Henderson has bought 51% of the shares, so they are not fan owned.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:58 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:13 pm
don'tbuythesun wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:41 pm

York City, fan owned or not fan owned, that is the question? Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or blah blah blah -

Edit, it seems a business man called Glen Henderson has bought 51% of the shares, so they are not fan owned.
And one of the key men on the trust is a wealthy businessman too
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:31 am

Fan owned is great in principal but for us to proceed up the leagues and not have to constantly sell players then something needs to change in the way fans fund the club.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:47 am

Darlobill wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:31 am
Fan owned is great in principal but for us to proceed up the leagues and not have to constantly sell players then something needs to change in the way fans fund the club.
Short of being one of richest 4 or 6 clubs in England, every club is a selling club.

If you want to stop Darlington being a selling club, you probably need to persuade the Quatarian authorities to buy Darlington instead of Liverpool

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:08 am

Darlobill wrote:
I agree that things will have to change if we are to have a realistic chance of progressing, but I don’t think that can happen under the present model of funding. The next step has to be the acquisition of our own ground and the opportunity to maximise revenue from that. This is what DJ is striving towards, as he knows as well as anyone else, we can not move forward without a sustainable way of raising more money to invest in the playing budget of the club.
Patience and a steady nerve are required from us all, as this process will not be done overnight, but it does provide a way forward for the club to progress over the next few years. In the meantime there will be frustration and disappointment to contend with, but anything worthwhile has to be built on solid foundations, and does take time. Rome wasn’t built in a day, springs to mind.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:23 am

Pre Singh’s departure we were operating at the bottom of the National League, now, after all the hard work to rebuild, we operate at top end of the league below. In football terms we are probably similar, so progress has been made and the club is in a much better place.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:41 am

Agreed we are a club in progress rebuilding which has been and will be difficult at times but supporters know this. But we Darlington FC are still fighting in to get back to the EFL and with good management on the field along with very good governance of it I think we are doing very well.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:10 pm

Darlobill wrote:
No. Nothing needs to change in the way the club is structured. I'd rather die than see us have an individual owner or majority shareholder again.

Slow and steady wins the race, we keep on building.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:07 pm

TBH I have enjoyed the last ten seasons, feeling part of the resurrection of the club from zero to dizzy heights of NLN leaders. Next big step for us is to find & fund a home within Darlo boundaries. DJ, AA & the fans have done us proud so far. At least we can trust them more than any owner like Singh.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:44 pm

Odly enough instead about york in todays non league paper and friction has reared its ugly head again with the owner and supporters trust

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:31 am

shildonlad wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:44 pm
Odly enough instead about york in todays non league paper and friction has reared its ugly head again with the owner and supporters trust
Yes, just have a look at this York Press article.
https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/23286 ... ture-fans/
Makes me even more grateful we are fan owned & I don't envy York City despite being in a nice stadium & a league above us. I would not swap places!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:11 am

Isn't it great to see so many young fans in that picture? The same with pictures of the tin shed. Maybe it's a reflection of the cost of watching top flight teams and hopefully they get as much pleasure from watching non-league footie as I do. They're the future, after all.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:22 am

It’s getting rough at York - again.

Also at Hartlepool too, where the fans appear to be tiring of Singh. As I remember he came in as their only option and everyone seemed to want to give it a go, but it’s not working and their league status is now at risk.

I can’t understand the people who lust after a ‘sugar daddy’ type person to come in. Have they learnt nothing from our recent history? Or perhaps they get carried away by what they see at a few select other clubs.

The TV coverage at Wrexham for the FA cup match was hyperbolic- all about the Hollywood stars who had taken over and how Wrexham were non league and punching above their weight etc, what a fairytale :D A bit like plucky Salford!

Meanwhile the fan owned clubs such as us, who do it the hard way, seem to gather minimal publicity and this annoys me.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:27 am

There's also a link between the two clubs. The York chairman who gave the club's fans the V sign at the match is also a Poolie by birth. Perhaps him and Raj could form the ultimate dream team in owning a club... what could possibly go wrong.

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:25 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:22 am
It’s getting rough at York - again.

Also at Hartlepool too, where the fans appear to be tiring of Singh. As I remember he came in as their only option and everyone seemed to want to give it a go, but it’s not working and their league status is now at risk.

I can’t understand the people who lust after a ‘sugar daddy’ type person to come in. Have they learnt nothing from our recent history? Or perhaps they get carried away by what they see at a few select other clubs.

The TV coverage at Wrexham for the FA cup match was hyperbolic- all about the Hollywood stars who had taken over and how Wrexham were non league and punching above their weight etc, what a fairytale :D A bit like plucky Salford!

Meanwhile the fan owned clubs such as us, who do it the hard way, seem to gather minimal publicity and this annoys me.
To be fair, Wrexham are a proper football club with a decent fanbase. Nothing like Salford.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:40 pm

⬆️

It's the media angle. It's all they push. They interview Reynolds, they talk about Reynolds, they pan the camera towards Reynolds, they make out there's something miraculous occurring, when in fact it's about fresh money and what it buys.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:46 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:40 pm
⬆️

It's the media angle. It's all they push. They interview Reynolds, they talk about Reynolds, they pan the camera towards Reynolds, they make out there's something miraculous occurring, when in fact it's about fresh money and what it buys.
Ooh the mention of Reynolds sends shivers down my spine 😂

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:54 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:27 am
There's also a link between the two clubs. The York chairman who gave the club's fans the V sign at the match is also a Poolie by birth. Perhaps him and Raj could form the ultimate dream team in owning a club... what could possibly go wrong.
Poolie & City groundshare & joint-chairmen?

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:48 pm

We have a great fan base however unfortunately it’s not enough to compete at the next level. Perhaps we should do a staggered ownership so those with bigger pockets and the will to do so would buy more shares, I do think there could be a desire there just within my older fan group. However we have never been asked and said fan group are asking what’s going on.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:56 pm

Darlobill wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:48 pm
We have a great fan base however unfortunately it’s not enough to compete at the next level. Perhaps we should do a staggered ownership so those with bigger pockets and the will to do so would buy more shares, I do think there could be a desire there just within my older fan group. However we have never been asked and said fan group are asking what’s going on.
Who is going to put ££,£££ in for shares in to a business that will not secure a return on their investment? Football clubs are - typically - loss making businesses.

Not only that, but they won't be the majority shareholder either.

If we have these fans that are willing to chuck thousands at DFC for no financial gain or major say, then they are welcome to do so via Boost the Budget.

The fan ownership model is working absolutely fine. A new ground, along with the additional commercial revenue it would bring, plus increased attendances, would see us compete at the next level. Yes it is the long-term vision but that is what we are currently working towards.

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:40 pm
⬆️

Totally agree. The bbc seem to love a non league club to get a orgasm over. If wrexham were a club owened by some local millionaire they would not give two hoots. Its getting tiresome now. Look at how they rammed salford down out neck and they are still in league 1. Once Wrexham are promoted macclesfield will be there next team they flog to death, and will be talking as though they are some fan owned non league club watched by 200 a game