Darlo v Rochdale

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo v Rochdale

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:20 pm

Really looking forward to this game tomorrow as I'd expect us to field a strong team, especially now there is no longer a friendly against Gateshead on Tuesday evening. It'll be interesting to see how we fair against a League 2 team.

Darlopartisan

Re: Darlo v Rochdale

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:48 am

Obviously looking forward to the football this afternoon, but also the new partnership with the rugby club on the catering side

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:59 am

Going to be a warm one for the players and the fans. Excuse for a couple of cold lagers today.
Particularly looking forward to seeing Hazel and Maddison again, and also how we cope with Charman.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:58 pm

3 new trialists - Romario Vieira, who is twin brother of ex-Leeds Ronaldo Vieira, a midfielder from Tadcaster. Could be a recommendation from KDS?
Jordan Emery is a midfielder from Bishop
Alfie Hughes is a midfielder from Newcastle U23s.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:00 pm

Good effort today from the lads in difficult circumstances. For the record lost 2-1. Tight first half with few shots on goal from either side. Two quick goals early in 2nd half, the first a good finish from Hazel that went in off the inside of the post, followed a couple of minutes later by an equally good finish from a Rochdale player. Many substitutes followed from both sides before the winner about 15 minutes from time.
Hazel and Beck started up front and both looked mobile, but lacked much service. I thought Wheater and Lawlor looked solid at the back and largely kept Charman under wraps. I was quite impressed by our No 24 who came on for the last 20/25 minutes. I believe it was the aforementioned Veira from Tadcaster. Well worth another look I would say.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:15 pm

I went away feeling pretty positive based on what I saw. My first time seeing the lads in this pre season. They lads looked really fit and matched our full time opponents until all the changes started.

Chalk and cheese from 12 months ago which is the main thing especially at the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Darlo v Rochdale

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:33 pm

Bit of an unusual comment at the end of his post-match interview from AA.

“It’s going to be a tough season because there’s so many teams going for it. And we haven’t gone for it as much as I would have liked but we’ve still got a really strong squad.”

He also made a comment about “if a top player becomes available it’s up to me to knock on the board’s door to see if there’s any funds available, but at this moment in time I can’t see it.”

Perhaps a bit of frustration at our transfer activity. If you take the comments at face value, it would suggest he’s not been able to bring in everyone he’s wanted because of our finances.

If he is frustrated, I’m not overly comfortable with him sounding off publicly in post-match interviews. Martin Gray used to do just that and it ended very badly. Always think dialogue with the board behind the scenes is better than airing it in public. That never ends well.

I might have the wrong end of the stick but from what he’s said, it would seem he’s not completely happy with the budget he’s been given.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:23 pm

Yeh agree, just listened to it and he didn’t seem overly enthusiastic to be honest. Would have thought with money from player sales alongside BTB and normal budget that he would have been given a decent budget to work with.
Mind you the likes of Wheater, Rose, Maddison, Beck, Lawlor, Hazel must all be high earners and used a large chunk of the budget. Smaller squad but better quality May well work but he knows we need a centre back and probably a midfielder so maybe has some loans lined up. Hope so.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:32 pm

A.A has some good players available to him now and he should be able to put out a team to give any of our league competitors a tough game. This coming season is Alun’s chance to show us what he can do.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:08 pm

The spine of the team looks really strong and if we can get a couple of additions to beef out the squad then I would expect us to be challenging. Beck and Hazel playing as a a partnership showed early signs of promise today but they were given little service by the wide players. If we are planning on moving forward with a 4-4-2 I would like to see us bring in a more natural winger as Lambert and Maddison aren’t as such. The jigsaw is not yet complete but I’m cautiously optimistic for the coming season.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:45 am

Thought Rochdale was an odd team for a friendly, until I twigged the link to Charman. Yep, good test of our latest squad which did show we still have a way to go before returning to League 2 but we should be able to compete for promotion in NLN. AA has put in the foundations for a good season. Can't wait for 6th August!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:05 am

Feel really positive after yesterday's game. I thought that for good parts of the game we matched Rochdale & I'm really excited about Hazel & Beck up front. Beck looked really fit and surprisingly quick and he lasted the full 90 mins. Good to see a decent sprinkling of Dale fans making the trip amongst the crowd of 518,

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:57 am

jjljks wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:45 am
Thought Rochdale was an odd team for a friendly, until I twigged the link to Charman.
There are some other links Robbie Stockdale (Rochdale manager) lives local (see his linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/robbie-stockdale-ba210978 - thought I think he is towards Yarm) and was a team mate of Alun at Middlesbrough.

I think Robbie may have been on loan to us very briefly as well in the past. May have just missed being here the same time as Armstrong though.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:54 am

I also heard those comments from AA and found it surprising and thought I'd maybe over-analysed it, but others have commented too so clearly they did stick out.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:58 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:33 pm
Bit of an unusual comment at the end of his post-match interview from AA.

“It’s going to be a tough season because there’s so many teams going for it. And we haven’t gone for it as much as I would have liked but we’ve still got a really strong squad.”

He also made a comment about “if a top player becomes available it’s up to me to knock on the board’s door to see if there’s any funds available, but at this moment in time I can’t see it.”

Perhaps a bit of frustration at our transfer activity. If you take the comments at face value, it would suggest he’s not been able to bring in everyone he’s wanted because of our finances.

If he is frustrated, I’m not overly comfortable with him sounding off publicly in post-match interviews. Martin Gray used to do just that and it ended very badly. Always think dialogue with the board behind the scenes is better than airing it in public. That never ends well.

I might have the wrong end of the stick but from what he’s said, it would seem he’s not completely happy with the budget he’s been given.
I sort of questioned whether our £120k boost the budget target would be enough considering that over the years since it was introduced, cost of living has always increased year on year and even more so in the last 12 months. If £120k doesn't stretch far enough now, then it certainly won't do next season when costs bite even harder than they are now. We have to be prudent and realistic and if the board put the financial security of the club in the long run above being as competitive in the transfer market then so be it. I'd by far rather have us as a sustainable club than one that goes bust on the whim of a manager's own aspirations. AA may want to better himself at some point and if the club can't match this on his timescale then we have to be prepared for managers coming and going - they should by now know what we are about and what they are signing up to.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:45 am

I think there's a fans forum on Friday, be interesting to hear whether any of these questions are raised there? Seems like the ideal opportunity.

Hopefully it is a bit of over analysis, as otherwise it feels like we're going into this season on a fairly positive basis.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:09 am

One thing that does show up on the match highlights are the bare patches on the pitch. I know it has been quite a warm dry summer, but it doesn’t look great to me. You would expect to see plenty of lush green grass at this time of year, but there are a lot of brown and bare patches by the look of it.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:10 am

I didn't see it as AA going aggressive about the situation, but trying to highlight where we are. I am sure AA would like a bit more budget, what manager wouldn't, but he will work with what we have.

It's make or break for AA and if he had the option for a real decent player but is pushing our budget beyond, however could pay back if we go through a few cup rounds or challenge for play-offs then I am guessing that is where he could well be currently.

My view from yesterday is that we will be competitive most if not all games, however we do lack a winger, attacking midfielder and forward. It looks like if Maddison will work out, then we will need to be patient with him - as supporters I have a feeling we are going to expect more than he delivers early days.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:38 am

Have to agree with oldgit that on the highlights the pitch looked worse than last year even at this stage of the season it should be loads better
The RA have just done their pitch and its looking 10 times better than BM

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:51 am

With regards to the pitch, in fairness to the groundsman, he has been working long hours on it. My job took me to three football grounds yesterday and blackwells pitch was by far the best. Staff at the two other grounds all saying the dry weather has made life very difficult. Unless clubs have loads of money to spend then they do what they can with the resources they have. Worth asking the fire brigade to practice hose techniques on the ground!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:53 am

Regarding AA's comments - I haven't seen them yet and am just going off what people have said on here - I am slightly surprised as I thought AA bought into the whole club ethos. This includes the budget limitations that come with it.

Maybe he is feeling a little under pressure as a few people, unfairly in my opinion, have been calling this a "make or break" season? It's as if some of us literally expect a play off push, and anything less than that is a failure.

Let me correct anyone who thinks like that - look at the other clubs in the division and delve into their ownerships, it is pretty apparent to me that we might not even have a top 10 budget. If I had to guess, I'd think firmly mid table budget wise. So for me, yes of course we all want a genuine play off push, but I also think that it should not be an expectation. As it happens, I think he's done cracking business so far on a fairly limited budget, and we have a very real chance of doing very well. The main thing to scupper that would be injuries and suspensions, as the squad is small so far.

Going back to AA's comments, maybe I was a bit harsh, he can be both buying the club ethos and be lamenting not quite having enough money to finish the job as he wants, at the same time. But unfortunately if he's after someone like Sousa, he may be very costly after a good season at Grimsby as he will no doubt have lots of good offers. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be at throwing the kitchen sink at getting another player or two in, no matter how good they are. If we have to settle with a couple of loans, or sign a couple of trialists to pad out the squad and stay in budget, then so be it.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:07 am

⬆️ Good post Ghost. :clap:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:18 am

As for Sousa - I feel Hatfield to be a bigger miss than him. Yes Sousa did seem good (on TV) but we don't want to be busting the bank for anyone, what we need is strength throughout the team and I feel that A.A. is getting there with this, our first team will/should be good.

Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:23 pm
Mind you the likes of Wheater, Rose, Maddison, Beck, Lawlor, Hazel must all be high earners and used a large chunk of the budget.
There's some good players in Quakerlad's post ⬆️ - but some of the others are good too, Taylor and Moke just for starters.
Last edited by theoriginalfatcat on Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:16 pm

I read several posts last season from Grimsby fans stating that Sousa looks good on the ball but lacks the end product. Was certainly the case every time I saw him on tv last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:39 pm

Sousa scored 7 goals in 14 appearances, not sure how many assists but I reckon a few.

He smashes it at this level and with the way Beck and Hazel occupy defenders, would have a field day for us.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:33 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:39 pm
Sousa scored 7 goals in 14 appearances, not sure how many assists but I reckon a few.

He smashes it at this level and with the way Beck and Hazel occupy defenders, would have a field day for us.
Sousa would be amazing at our level , I’d love it to happen but really can’t see it!

For me the priority right now must be another CB - with the additional league games and hopefully a cup run or two - I can’t see Wheater playing in every game. A dominant CB similar to Ellis is vital imo

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:09 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:33 pm
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:39 pm

Sousa would be amazing at our level , I’d love it to happen but really can’t see it!

For me the priority right now must be another CB - with the additional league games and hopefully a cup run or two - I can’t see Wheater playing in every game. A dominant CB similar to Ellis is vital imo
This. That has to be a priority. If we get 30 - 35 league games out of Wheater then I think we would be doing well. Hence the need for another first choice-standard CB.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:33 pm

Like you do on a Thursday night I was thinking about Luke Charman's progress at Rochdale and sadly he's not played yet as he was injured before the first game and its worse than initially thought. Sad that. The managers just gone too.