DJ Interview 18/07/22

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Posts: 1800
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by Old Git » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:30 am

Well worth a listen on the Official Website. Here are some of the points he makes.
1.The Budget for the season is spent and the only additions to the squad are likely to be loanees to provide cover.
2. We are not going to move to a hybrid model and have an extra training session, as we can’t afford it ar present.
3. The Council has agreed in principle to provide planning permission on two potential sites for a new ground.

onewayup
Posts: 2360
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by onewayup » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:51 am

Nothing new there it's been expected as with the economy being as it is people don't have the spare money to donate as of the last few years, the club is moving forward just not as quickly as was the plan. Stick with Darlington fc it will be a great season I think. :thumbup:

Old Git
Posts: 1800
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by Old Git » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:15 am

onewayup wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:51 am
Nothing new there it's been expected as with the economy being as it is people don't have the spare money to donate as of the last few years, the club is moving forward just not as quickly as was the plan. Stick with Darlington fc it will be a great season I think. :thumbup:
I agree, but we really are going to be stretched if we have a few injuries. At present I reckon we have 16 first team players so if everyone is fit that’s fine. We only need 3 or 4 injured and we will be back to having a bench full of kids. I really hope that we will be able to get some decent loanees in when we need to.
The quality of the squad looks decent, but it might be hard to compete with those who have more strength in depth. It all boils down to where we are as a club and what we can afford. Danny the Physio might be the most important member of our team this season.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:29 am

I'm fine with padding out the squad with a couple or three loans, it is where we are at.

I remember a few seasons ago, Hereford won promotion from L2 under Graham Turner and literally 4 of their starting 11 were 20 year olds on loan from local Championship clubs.

AA has done fantastic to get the players in that he has under the current budget, but as we know, quality players aren't cheap. That's why we have 15/16 players rather than 20. It might be a bit frustrating for AA to have to top up the squad with loans but his record with loans has been pretty good. Eg Cooper, O'Neill, Lowe, Rose.

Interesting that DJ let it slip that the budget is 380k - I imagine that's total budget including management and staff, rather than just players.

A few years ago you'd be thinking that was a great budget for a part time club but not any more.

I thought we may have at least some money to replace KDS, ie his wage, but then I doubt he was on much anyway.
#Arenaherewecome

tdk1
Posts: 2262
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by tdk1 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:45 am

Yeah, it's clearly a strategy designed to get better players in this year.

I suppose my one question would be why are we trialling players if we can't sign them? Are the ones on trial included in the squad in dj's description? I guess a couple of them could be trialled for loans, but surely viera is being looked at with a view to being a permanent deal.

Overall though sounds like steady progress once again.

Piggy_
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri May 22, 2020 9:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by Piggy_ » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:52 am

tdk1 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:45 am
Yeah, it's clearly a strategy designed to get better players in this year.

I suppose my one question would be why are we trialling players if we can't sign them? Are the ones on trial included in the squad in dj's description? I guess a couple of them could be trialled for loans, but surely viera is being looked at with a view to being a permanent deal.

Overall though sounds like steady progress once again.
I guess they could perhaps sign on non contract forms like a month to month deal? But yeah not sure tbh.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5497
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:09 am

Old Git wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:30 am
Well worth a listen on the Official Website. Here are some of the points he makes.
1.The Budget for the season is spent and the only additions to the squad are likely to be loanees to provide cover.
2. We are not going to move to a hybrid model and have an extra training session, as we can’t afford it ar present.
3. The Council has agreed in principle to provide planning permission on two potential sites for a new ground.
This situation may be the reason why A.A. was showing a bit of frustration after Saturday's match.

I'm wondering if he's had the opportunity to sign Sousa but been told that it won't be financially possible - he'll have to make do now but some of our new players are good signings and there are positives here.
A stopped clock is right twice a day.
The Blackwell Meadows clock is wrong all day every day.

AndyPark
Posts: 11851
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:41 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:09 am
Old Git wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:30 am
Well worth a listen on the Official Website. Here are some of the points he makes.
1.The Budget for the season is spent and the only additions to the squad are likely to be loanees to provide cover.
2. We are not going to move to a hybrid model and have an extra training session, as we can’t afford it ar present.
3. The Council has agreed in principle to provide planning permission on two potential sites for a new ground.
This situation may be the reason why A.A. was showing a bit of frustration after Saturday's match.

I'm wondering if he's had the opportunity to sign Sousa but been told that it won't be financially possible - he'll have to make do now but some of our new players are good signings and there are positives here.
After hearing Sousa apparently knocked York back, can't imagine him dropping to our level for PT football, when could have potentially stayed FT with York.

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 2024
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:24 pm

So we are down to two locations and these have been agreed by the council....so why can't the fans know the two locations. Its a fan owned club, I have every confidence in DJ to deliver the new stadium, but the buzz this would create would be great.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

jjljks
Posts: 2546
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by jjljks » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:36 pm

Mebbe saving the big news for the Fans Forum?

spen666
Posts: 2119
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by spen666 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:19 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:24 pm
So we are down to two locations and these have been agreed by the council....so why can't the fans know the two locations. Its a fan owned club, I have every confidence in DJ to deliver the new stadium, but the buzz this would create would be great.
I'm not sure he said that.

He said the club were talking to 2 developers about sites and that the council had said there were no objections in principal to developments of stadium on those sites.

That is still a way from being ready to break ground:

The club may want to keep locations quiet to stop anyone else getting wind of the sites and approaching the developers with an alternative use or proposal.

The Council can only at this stage say they have no objections in principal. There would have to be a full planning application submitted, chance for interested parties to object etc before full planning permission could be granted.

The club may want to have plans etc prepared and to present a positive spin to local residents/ interested parties at the time of the announcement. If a site was announced now without plans properly drawn up, it would allow the NIMBY's to start their campaigns against it and gain momentum before the club could properly counteract them by showing what the proposals are.

The most positive thing was that he said the aim was to have ground ready by start of 24/25 season, so are obviously hoping to make quick progress. To be able to release not only the location, but also the detailed plans for the ground will create a big momentum when they are able to do both. It will also create a surge in the NIMBY's

One issue that may delay matters is the availability of steel for the new ground. Cambridge city are facing further delays in completing their new ground because of problems in getting the steel for the stands owing to Covid and lockdowns in China


The future is looking very positive though now for the club.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5986
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:24 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:So we are down to two locations and these have been agreed by the council....so why can't the fans know the two locations. Its a fan owned club, I have every confidence in DJ to deliver the new stadium, but the buzz this would create would be great.
For the same reason we don’t get to know the ins and outs of players’ contracts, transfer fees or every other financial or commercial detail within the club. That’s not how the club works, and hasn’t done since this particular structure of running the club was implemented in 2012.

Revealing the locations now could jeopardise any potential move. It gives NIMBYS the chance to organise against any development, or a commercial rival or developer could be given an advantage if they knew we were after a particular site.

“It’s a fan-owned club” isn’t a reason to know every single financial, commercial or development detail within the club. We appoint people like DJ or elect members of the DFCSG board to handle it on behalf of the fans. That’s how the club works.

The only reason you want to know the information now is because A) you’re passionate about the club and want to know about it’s future and B) you’re a bit nosy and impatient.

That’s all fine and perfectly natural but there’s a correct time and place for that information to be released, without jeopardising any potential future move. Trust DJ and everyone else involved to handle it properly.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Lallacab
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:49 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by Lallacab » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:28 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:24 pm
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:So we are down to two locations and these have been agreed by the council....so why can't the fans know the two locations. Its a fan owned club, I have every confidence in DJ to deliver the new stadium, but the buzz this would create would be great.
For the same reason we don’t get to know the ins and outs of players’ contracts, transfer fees or every other financial or commercial detail within the club. That’s not how the club works, and hasn’t done since this particular structure of running the club was implemented in 2012.

Revealing the locations now could jeopardise any potential move. It gives NIMBYS the chance to organise against any development, or a commercial rival or developer could be given an advantage if they knew we were after a particular site.

“It’s a fan-owned club” isn’t a reason to know every single financial, commercial or development detail within the club. We appoint people like DJ or elect members of the DFCSG board to handle it on behalf of the fans. That’s how the club works.

The only reason you want to know the information now is because A) you’re passionate about the club and want to know about it’s future and B) you’re a bit nosy and impatient.

That’s all fine and perfectly natural but there’s a correct time and place for that information to be released, without jeopardising any potential future move. Trust DJ and everyone else involved to handle it properly.
Great posts Gramps - nail firmly hit on the head

The club are in safe hands , let DJ and CS crack on

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13574
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:11 pm

As far as I am concerned a hybrid setup at the club, is where some of the players are employed on a full-time basis and some are part-time. Having an extra training evening to me doesn't equate to changing to a hybrid system.

wizardofos
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by wizardofos » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:36 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:29 am
I'm fine with padding out the squad with a couple or three loans, it is where we are at.

I remember a few seasons ago, Hereford won promotion from L2 under Graham Turner and literally 4 of their starting 11 were 20 year olds on loan from local Championship clubs.

AA has done fantastic to get the players in that he has under the current budget, but as we know, quality players aren't cheap. That's why we have 15/16 players rather than 20. It might be a bit frustrating for AA to have to top up the squad with loans but his record with loans has been pretty good. Eg Cooper, O'Neill, Lowe, Rose.

Interesting that DJ let it slip that the budget is 380k - I imagine that's total budget including management and staff, rather than just players.

A few years ago you'd be thinking that was a great budget for a part time club but not any more.

I thought we may have at least some money to replace KDS, ie his wage, but then I doubt he was on much anyway.
From the official accounts:

y/e 30 June 2019-
playing staff £366k
other staff £109k

y/e 30 June 2020-
playing staff £373k
other staff £152k

y/e 30 June 2021-
playing staff £293k (furlough income received this year)
other staff £134k

wizardofos
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by wizardofos » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:39 pm

On an associated note, is there a clear explanation of how the new stadium is being funded anywhere?

wizardofos
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by wizardofos » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:42 pm

On another associated note, does anyone know how many of our squad rely only on their salary from us for income, and how many also have other jobs?
If there is a high proportion of the former, then we are professional anyway.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:15 pm

wizardofos wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:36 pm

From the official accounts:

y/e 30 June 2019-
playing staff £366k
other staff £109k

y/e 30 June 2020-
playing staff £373k
other staff £152k

y/e 30 June 2021-
playing staff £293k (furlough income received this year)
other staff £134k
Thanks, I never realised our wage bill was that high.

A total wage bill of 525k in 2020, which included 373k for players, is higher than I thought we'd be paying. So the 380k quoted this year is likely just playing budget.

Think if we want leeway for the next couple of seasons we need to drive attendances up, as we're probably maxed at BTB, 50/50 and commercial revenues.

Are the accounts available on your club, I never thought to check.
#Arenaherewecome

lo36789
Posts: 10045
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:16 pm

wizardofos wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:36 pm
From the official accounts:

y/e 30 June 2019-
playing staff £366k
other staff £109k

y/e 30 June 2020-
playing staff £373k
other staff £152k

y/e 30 June 2021-
playing staff £293k (furlough income received this year)
other staff £134k
Suggests the £380k will be playing staff. Shows how much revenue we already have to generate just to be at this level.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:27 pm

wizardofos wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:42 pm
On another associated note, does anyone know how many of our squad rely only on their salary from us for income, and how many also have other jobs?
If there is a high proportion of the former, then we are professional anyway.
I think we probably have a few players on very decent money now, but on the other hand I think they only get paid during the season, so having no money for 10-12 weeks would shrink that weekly amount.

I think a few part time players in this league can get by on their football money alone, especially if they don't live a lavish lifestyle and have another wage earner in the household. I don't see why not.
#Arenaherewecome

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 12081
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by Spyman » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:05 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
wizardofos wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:36 pm

From the official accounts:

y/e 30 June 2019-
playing staff £366k
other staff £109k

y/e 30 June 2020-
playing staff £373k
other staff £152k

y/e 30 June 2021-
playing staff £293k (furlough income received this year)
other staff £134k
Thanks, I never realised our wage bill was that high.

A total wage bill of 525k in 2020, which included 373k for players, is higher than I thought we'd be paying. So the 380k quoted this year is likely just playing budget.

Think if we want leeway for the next couple of seasons we need to drive attendances up, as we're probably maxed at BTB, 50/50 and commercial revenues.

Are the accounts available on your club, I never thought to check.
Which may be why we've taken a quality over quantity approach this season.

The best way to drive attendances up, as we know, is to be competing at the top of the table. This season's squad has the potential to do that if we have some luck with injuries. A deeper, less talented squad may not.

It could all go tits up of course, there are question marks over a couple of the higher profile players, but if it all clicks we could be up there and that could add a couple of hundred extra on to the attendances on a regular basis.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

H1987
Posts: 1953
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:16 pm

Last time we attempted that, it ended poorly (the TW midlands import era). I don't necessarily think it's doomed the same way again, but it comes with risks for sure. We need to make sure we pad the squad out a bit with some loanees too (something TW only seemed to recognise at the end of his tenure). The loanee market sometimes only gets going when the season gets underway, so we need to be a little patient I reckon. A couple of Boro or Sunderland kids on loan and i'd feel altogether more confident about things.

My opinion
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by My opinion » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:54 pm

If I remember correctly Pools had 7 or 8 players on loan and in their squad at the closing of their promotion season. Only 5 (I think) were actually allowed to be in their match day pool and the remainder were left out... I am quite sure that was a cheap option utilised well by you know who, and it worked for them.

onewayup
Posts: 2360
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by onewayup » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:33 pm

Stadia come in all shapes and sizes but I think maybe best to go for an off the shelf as type colchester's, looks very much like the arena but on a much reduced scale, around 8-10 thousand capacity I think ,would suffice, nice if it happens, but maybe that's to big,

User avatar
divas
Posts: 13213
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by divas » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:09 pm

My opinion wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:54 pm
If I remember correctly Pools had 7 or 8 players on loan and in their squad at the closing of their promotion season. Only 5 (I think) were actually allowed to be in their match day pool and the remainder were left out... I am quite sure that was a cheap option utilised well by you know who, and it worked for them.
I don’t think the lads pools had on loan were the 18/19 year old’s we’ll be looking at for next to nothing. I expect some decent loan fees/wages were paid for the lads they brought in

lo36789
Posts: 10045
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:37 am

onewayup wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:33 pm
Stadia come in all shapes and sizes but I think maybe best to go for an off the shelf as type colchester's, looks very much like the arena but on a much reduced scale, around 8-10 thousand capacity I think ,would suffice, nice if it happens, but maybe that's to big,
I might be wrong but id be surprised if initial capacity was greater than 6000. I expect more like 4,000 with options for expansion.

Minimum is 2 covered stands, 500 seats and capacity of 3000. That will be the primary target.

Obviously feedback from BM will be important so sightlines on the seated stand will be important - potential to integrate into the clubhouse / changing (like Scarborough / South Shields).

If we get any extra (to give additional improved sightlines) uncovered terracing similar to Curzon Ashton would be most cost effective.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:18 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:37 am
onewayup wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:33 pm
Stadia come in all shapes and sizes but I think maybe best to go for an off the shelf as type colchester's, looks very much like the arena but on a much reduced scale, around 8-10 thousand capacity I think ,would suffice, nice if it happens, but maybe that's to big,
I might be wrong but id be surprised if initial capacity was greater than 6000. I expect more like 4,000 with options for expansion.

Minimum is 2 covered stands, 500 seats and capacity of 3000. That will be the primary target.

Obviously feedback from BM will be important so sightlines on the seated stand will be important - potential to integrate into the clubhouse / changing (like Scarborough / South Shields).

If we get any extra (to give additional improved sightlines) uncovered terracing similar to Curzon Ashton would be most cost effective.
DJ already said we'd be looking to build something around 5,000, presumably with 2.000 seats. Then it meets all the minimum requirements from the get go. The club will need to borrow substantial money over the long term to build the ground so the last thing which it needs is to have to quickly spend a lot more money on top of that to upgrade the ground - ie from 3,000 to 4,000 to 5,000, or from 500 seats to 1,000 to 2,000 seats.
#Arenaherewecome

lo36789
Posts: 10045
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:50 am

That makes some sense.

That said could have terracing which can convert to seating at a reasonably low cost.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5906
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:12 am

I would assume in the long run it will be cheaper to pay for it in one go, than have two developments at different points.

Understandably it all depends about the finance element of the stadium as you say.

lo36789
Posts: 10045
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DJ Interview 18/07/22

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:34 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:12 am
I would assume in the long run it will be cheaper to pay for it in one go, than have two developments at different points.

Understandably it all depends about the finance element of the stadium as you say.
Haha probably, but then you could end up with a 25000 all seater stadium ready for the Premier League.

Post Reply