Extra funding . Thought

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Extra funding . Thought

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:43 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:47 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:22 pm
Well I am , what ever you want to call it , unicorn chaser, if there is a chance come January, I know you will be there.
For a few seasons after becoming fan owned, it seemed as though we kept on getting mid season cash calls from the club. For one reason or another. The common denominator...we'd ran out of money. Maybe I'm remembering it worse than it was though?

Anyway, having a boost the, boost the, budget takes me back to those days, that's why it's a no from me.

But certainly, the actual annual Boost the Budget has really helped the club, since those days.

I get that people floating the idea of an extra boost are well intentioned, maybe they have a couple of extra quid to chuck at it. My suggestion would be hold onto that spare cash and add it to your next season BTB pledge instead. We don't know what's round the corner. Some people are living on a knife edge and may not be able to BTB next season, your money could cover their money and keep the whole thing hopefully chugging along at a reliable level. That's what the club needs, reliable income. Strength in numbers achieves this, we've proven it.

We the fans are quite literally, the club's rich benefactor. I remember Spen saying that we are the club's rich benefactor when there was a few envious comments flying around about Brad bankrolling Spenny. He might have been taking the mick with his comment, he might have been serious, who knows...but it turns out that he was probably right. We may not be able to put in between us as much as wealthy individuals at other clubs can, but as a collective we make a difference. The benefit of that is that the chances of the "rich benefactor" pulling all of their expected 120k per season out of the club in one go is virtually zero. This is what makes me proudest about this club. If we stick to our fan owned principles we will never again have the plug pulled on us.

No offence intended to onewayup or Darlopartisan - I just read back my original reply to you and it was over reactionary and sharp.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but since DJ and CS have been in their roles, things have been a lot more stable.
This is exactly where I stand. Better to have 700 benefactors than 1 benefactor, even if the sum total of money is the same.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:31 pm

Extra funding could well prove tricky.

There is a massive issue with energy prices/interest rates and food costs coming down the track. It's bad now but this winter is shaping up to be proper late 70s/early 80s style time, when people simply won't have cash to be generous.

If we get going in the league it might not hit home attendances much but I reckon away fans numbers could well drop off from what we've been used to.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:55 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:31 pm

There is a massive issue with energy prices/interest rates and food costs coming down the track. It's bad now but this winter is shaping up to be proper late 70s/early 80s style time, when people simply won't have cash to be generous.

If we get going in the league it might not hit home attendances much but I reckon away fans numbers could well drop off from what we've been used to.
Can't agree with that. Our fan base is all over the UK. I think the higher we go up the ladder the more will travel. Not that that would help us financially. A shame that more Dafts can't manage the T bit for home games !! (No nastiness intended).

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:33 pm

⬆️ Re Ed's reply above.

I’m on about the forthcoming season and the opposition fans travelling in to Blackwell Meadows. I think their numbers could drop, thereby hitting our revenue.
Last edited by theoriginalfatcat on Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:02 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:33 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:55 pm
[quote=theoriginalfatcat post_id=486808 time=<a href="tel:1659641512">1659641512</a> user_id=376]

Can't agree with that. Our fan base is all over the UK. I think the higher we go up the ladder the more will travel. Not that that would help us financially. A shame that more Dafts can't manage the T bit for home games !! (No nastiness intended).
I’m on about the forthcoming season and the opposition fans travelling in to Blackwell Meadows. I think their numbers could drop, thereby hitting our revenue.
[/quote]

Most don’t travel in significant numbers at the best of times. We have already lost York and Gateshead who were the 2 biggest away supporters in terms of numbers last season. Expect Scarborough to bring a decent following on Boxing Day and Spennymoor will bring their usual 200/300 but apart from that other away support likely to be negligible.
From a positive point of view we should be advertising how relatively affordable it is to come to BM, especially for families. It would cost a fortune for a family of 4 to go to Newcastle or even Boro with the cost of admission and travel costs. Hopefully, we can attract some more fans by providing an entertaining experience and at a reasonable cost that people can still afford.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:11 pm

Maybe a ‘Fans MOTM’ where you pay x amount to pick your MOTM, works for shows like love island and Britains got talent why not for darlo 😂

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:48 pm

onewayup wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:26 pm
I don't know how others feel about setting up a team strengthening fund for the January transfer window, I would donate to allowing for a bit of movement if needed.just a thought.
I think its a great idea but with season tickets and BTB I will be maxing out.

Plus with the increases in other costs that most people will be experiencing I just hope current pledges stick. Sure they will but its a worry.

I would love to do it but with the 2 above I am not sure I would get that past Head of Everything here at MCFCDarlo Towers.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:52 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:48 pm
onewayup wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:26 pm
I don't know how others feel about setting up a team strengthening fund for the January transfer window, I would donate to allowing for a bit of movement if needed.just a thought.
I think its a great idea but with season ticket and BTB I will be maxing out.

Plus with the increases in other costs that most people will be experiencing I just hope current pledges stick. Sure they will but its a worry.

I would love to do it but with the 2 above I am not sure I would get that past Head of Everything here at MCFCDarlo Towers.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:27 pm

The lads have made a good start and 2nd half did play some attractive attacking football which should draw more fans in.