Guiseley V Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

eddie-rowles
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Guiseley V Darlo

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:19 am

Yes was a friendly but if fans spend a couple of hours driving each way to the game atleast show a bit of battle and bite. Again showed we need someone who is decent crossing the ball in and beating the first man, Mondal and Rivers(know he was ill) are not that type of player. Perhaps last season went to his head but Hedley has to work hard defending for his place and Lawlor is heaped praise but if that had been Storey would have been slaughtered. Alot of work to do AA and Daz

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:57 am

As I was 100 per negative last night. Some positives: Moke obviously is class and even last night I thought he looked the best central mid on the pitch. Hazel will be a great signing for us and a partnership with Beck should work. Plus we know Wheater is class and hopefully Maddison will come good in time.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:35 am

eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:19 am
Yes was a friendly but if fans spend a couple of hours driving each way to the game atleast show a bit of battle and bite. Again showed we need someone who is decent crossing the ball in and beating the first man, Mondal and Rivers(know he was ill) are not that type of player. Perhaps last season went to his head but Hedley has to work hard defending for his place and Lawlor is heaped praise but if that had been Storey would have been slaughtered. Alot of work to do AA and Daz
So Rivers ill, Armstrong has a bug, that display was so far off the mark it makes me suspect several other players were not 100% fit.
Covid in the camp ?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:50 am

I fully expect that the team is upto scratch come the first game of the season, I expect a winning start with quality football from the assembled players, it's AAs season to come good no excuses.
Onwards and upwards as they say. :thumbup:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:50 am

I was not at the game last night so I am unable to comment on the performance, but it has lowered my expectations for the coming season. Perhaps a bit of a reality check is not a bad thing.
On the positive side I think we have recruited some good players, but I am concerned about the lack of depth to the squad. For whatever reason we were without Wheater, Rose and Rivers and had to rely on trialists and kids on the bench. When you assess the players we currently have available it just does not look likely to me that we will be able to sustain a realistic promotion campaign. We only have 14 outfield players and 2 of them are in their mid thirties, whilst we have another who has hardly played for 18 months and is not yet ready to play 90 minutes.
There also seems to be a bit of a difference of opinion between Manager and CEO on the recruitment position. At the fans forum DJ made it clear that the budget was spent, but AA was talking about the need to bring in more players. Indeed when he was asked if he was happy with the current squad he said he was but he could be happier. This is the first time I can remember there being even the slightest difference between them.
Of course what matters is what happens once the season begins, and preseason blips will be long forgotten if we start winning league games. Nonetheless I think we need to understand that it is not going to be easy to compete against rivals who will be able to sustain bigger squads than ours.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:45 am

I think lets not panic just yet... We're a couple of signings short (I expect that loans will happen once the season begins as most of the league teams like the young lads with them for pre-season) and these are essentially fitness-building exercises anyway.

We will judge things when the season proper gets going. Now to find Lidds number and to try and bag a couple of Boro youngsters to bulk out the squad a bit...

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:27 pm

Small squad, did we really want them going in hard, toughing it out with a fired up Guiseley in a meaningless pre-season friendly and risking an even smaller squad for season opener? Chesterfield stuffed Bradford, Bradford stuffed Sunderland, means nowt.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:56 pm

Yup. ⬆️ Friendlies are a bit daft. “It’s football Jim, but not as we know it” (Mr Spock)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:05 pm

Guiseley was my only away game last season, pissed it down, freezing, lost 1-0. Couldn't put myself through that experience again so soon after the last one.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Quaker85

Guiseley V Darlo

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:11 am

They were a tad unlucky to go down imo. My own analysis shows that Farsley were rated below Guiseley although there wasn’t a great deal in it.

Only one table that counts though blah blah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk