Guiseley V Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Guiseley V Darlo

Post by poppyfield » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:08 pm

Going down for this one, we should take a few. Nice pies if I remember rightly.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlopartisan

Re: Guiseley V Darlo

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:39 pm

See ex Darlo George Smith, is now there captain.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:54 pm

I'm going down for this one and hopefully my son who lives it that area will be joining me. Hopefully they'll be a good few of us making the trip.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:41 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:54 pm
I'm going down for this one and hopefully my son who lives it that area will be joining me. Hopefully they'll be a good few of us making the trip.
Pete don’t worry that David Wheater isn’t there tonight. AA mentioned at the fans forum that he was unavailable for this one and will be back for Whitby. Would expect Danny Rose may start as he sat out against Boro.
Guiesley and Whitby games will hopefully give us an indication of where we are in terms of our preseason preparation, as I would expect them to be in the upper echelons of the Evostik Premier League. It might also give another chance to run the rule over a couple of trialists such as Viera and Emery. AA still seems to be suggesting that he wants to bring in more players, although DJ says the money has run out. Personally I agree that we could do with 2 more additions so it will be interesting to see if it happens or not.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:22 pm

Currently at the Wetherby Whaler having tea. Weather is foul.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:11 pm

First goal to Guiesley. Guess who?
Correct all of those who said Cassidy.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:22 pm

Second best over the park, Guiseley look sharper and fitter than us plus better organised with space all over the pitch. First game against a team that are committed and with a bit of skill?. On first half evidence, this could be a hard season, but who knows second half we may turn up.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:27 pm

Looking better as the half went on, the grass on the pitch looks very long. Hoping for better in the second half, but there's no sign of the groundsman coming out with a lawnmower, haha.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:56 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:27 pm
Looking better as the half went on, the grass on the pitch looks very long. Hoping for better in the second half, but there's no sign of the groundsman coming out with a lawnmower, haha.
Q AA'sbpost match interview (if we lose) "They did their homework on us and knew the long grass wouldn't suit our passing style of play."

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:01 pm

2-0 now.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:07 pm

Cassidy must be in danger of equalling last season’s total of goals 😢

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:12 pm

3-0 now

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:52 pm

It’s pre-season and means absolutely fuck all.

Long as we are firing and winning that first game vs Gloucester, a defeat to Guiseley in a friendly means nothing.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:58 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:52 pm

Long as we are firing and winning that first game vs Gloucester, a defeat to Guiseley in a friendly means nothing.
Totally agree , a lot of teams in higher divisions getting beater by lower opposition. No need to panic

What I would say is we need 3/4 loans in quite quickly to bolster the squad - only 14 players signed up available tonight with Wheater and Rose missing

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:11 pm

AndyPark wrote:

Of course it means something, what's the point in playing the game otherwise? Agree we should judge the team on League results but the fact is we've been beaten basically by a lower division team make of that what you will. Use friendlies to get things right not wait till August kick off.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:16 pm

Just home. Obviously results don’t matter as much in pre season but that was really horrible.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:26 pm

bga wrote:
AndyPark wrote:

Of course it means something, what's the point in playing the game otherwise? Agree we should judge the team on League results but the fact is we've been beaten basically by a lower division team make of that what you will. Use friendlies to get things right not wait till August kick off.
That’s exactly what we are doing. To get things right you have to also know what doesn’t work.

I know some fans love to have a rant after a bad result, but Andy is right. Losing this match means nothing in the grand scheme of things, so long as AA has an idea of why it didn’t work this evening.

Tonight will be totally forgotten about by the time we face Gloucester.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:31 pm

Some of the comments on Facebook and Twitter are embarrassing, do we really have supporters who are that thick? It’s a friendly, it’s nothing more than a warm up for the season. Christ, Man United pumped Liverpool 4-0 and Arsenal did the same to Chelsea and I can guarantee neither of them will be Premier League Champions next season.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:39 pm

I’m not disagreeing that the result is meaningless but you have to question why Guiseley looked so much fitter and sharper than us, with the season just 10 days away. The first 30 minutes, men against boys, we did a little better after that but some poor defending for the second and third.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:51 pm

3-0 doesn’t do justice to just how second best we were . Cassidy absolutely bossing us and still missed an absolute sitter . Could easily have been 5 or 6. Genuinely stunned at how bad we were and how lost we looked . Result means nothing but the performance was a horror show .

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:52 pm

The majority of their first team hasn’t played since beating York 1-0 last Wednesday, ours had a heavy training session Thursday followed by a match against a good Boro under 23 side which included Josh Coburn. I dare say ours will be fitter and sharper on the first day of the season and I wouldn’t look into tonight at all.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:56 pm

We were lucky Moke wasn’t sent off, straight red , no question, crazy reaction to a challenge, ref let it go after talking to both players. It would not of been a good start to the season with him not in the starting line up.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:57 pm

As an aside their right winger Johnston was absolute dynamite . Or he looked it tonight .

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:01 pm

While I agree, losing is not important in the scheme of things, but football is impacted by confidence, I was expected more from the team, which other than Wheater and Rose was our main formation. We were disorganised and to be honest Guiseley could have scored 6 or 7 with the chances they had (Cassidy fluffed a couple of reall good chances). I genuinely thought that , as has been said, that the first half we would learn from, and second half adjust and be more competitive and more of a goal threat but while there was a slight improvement we were still second best. Moke played ok (although he would have been sent off in a league game for retaliation imo), and I liked a look of the young trials centre half, when he came on, he looked confident on the ball and long through expert too.
Take nothing away from Guiseley they were a good, skillful, well organised team and should do well next year.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:07 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:57 pm
As an aside their right winger Johnston was absolute dynamite . Or he looked it tonight .
Agree with that, Hedley couldn’t live with him, he’s from Bishop I think , definitely one to watch, might be cheap as well :thumbup:

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:06 pm

Rivers was named as starting then didn't, as possibly he tweaked something in the warm up. That meant starting Mondal on the left wing and Lambert on the right wing, which didn't help as the service was poor. As for the centre half from Bishop, I was hoping he'd make a good impression as we really need another centre half given that the communication was poor without Wheater, but the 2 free headers they should have scored from corners which were his man was not a plus for him.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:39 am

We were very poor, lots of negatives I'm afraid. One positive the pork pie was delicious. One gripe was that you couldn't gain entry by debit or credit card, luckily I found just enough cash. In all honesty we were lucky to only lose 3-0. I didn't see AA by the dugout.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:26 am

It says on the club site he was laid low with a bug. Perhaps the whole team was.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:38 am

I think we will be up in the top seven and will back the team . this is AAs season to push on.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:25 am

Most are right that pre season results are immaterial including this one.
My only concern are reports from the game like we were “ bullied” , “they were much fitter” “they got stuck in more than us” etc etc.
Our biggest problem last season even with a settled team was that we simply did not perform against teams who got in our faces, closed us down, got stuck in etc and does not sound good when a team a league below even has us sussed in a friendly.
Recruitments pretty much done but still think we needed a “physical, hard” type of central midfielder rather than 3 similar good ball playing footballers.
I do remember Gloucester doing a physical job on us last season so let’s hope last night was a blip.