Darlington V Gloucester

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Gloucester

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:53 pm

Thought there would be more here, crowd looks a bit thin.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:59 pm

Anything around 1500 would be reasonable. I know several regulars who are away and missing today.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:44 pm

Pretty even half so far, we just hot the post from an acute angle.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:56 pm

Really well taken goal from Hazel, 1 up

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:45 pm

Beck gets our second

Henley

Post by Henley » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:05 pm

FT Darlington 3-1 Gloucester City

A very solid start - the first steps to the return of the Darlo vs Chokers derby in 2023/24.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:30 pm

3rd in the league for one week at least!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:20 pm

Promising start however several poor passes, decision making from midd field, hopefully first game nerve's.
Could have made more of the players in open space several times again just bad decisions.but there is optimism.i do think that the team will get more proficient with a couple more games together.onwards and upwards with the Quaker's. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:28 pm

I think we can thank the Gloucester player who stupidly got himself sent off for this victory. It definitely shifted the game in our favour.

Up to that point it was a pretty frustrating performance. Some good things, some bad, sloppy play, and a serious lack of width. Hopefully it’s just rustiness.

All 3 goals were well taken, and Felix looks like he’s got something about him. What was the issue with Maddison? Did the ref not like his piercings?
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:34 pm

Very encouraging performance, some great performances and a very encouraging first game of the season. Excellent crowd of 1591, were richly entertained.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:56 pm

To be fair we definitely play better against 10 men until that point, we weren’t second best but close to it.
I’m still not sure AA knows how to play this excellent squad, I don’t want to sound negative but first half a bit of hoof ball seemed to be our plan.
Second half different story, we were on the front foot , yeah there number 4 got sent off, after that, boom, we were on it.
I’d want to think that was the catalyst for our season to begin 👍👍

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:01 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:34 pm
Very encouraging performance, some great performances and a very encouraging first game of the season. Excellent crowd of 1591, were richly entertained.
Crowd figure was 1444 according to the official website.
As a matter of interest did anyone on here sample the catering on offer today, and if so was it any good?

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:38 pm

Cappuccino was acceptably hot and tasty at £2

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:49 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:56 pm

I’m still not sure AA knows how to play this excellent squad, I don’t want to sound negative but first half a bit of hoof ball seemed to be our plan.
Second half different story, we were on the front foot , yeah there number 4 got sent off, after that, boom, we were on it.
Have to agree, the formation was unusual with Lambert basically playing midfield, often defending, and no width and looked like something we tried on Thursday night and he thought let’s give it a go! He clearly believes he has to play both Beck/Hazel but hasn’t figured out how yet?.
That said, I thought Lambert was MOM by a mile and maybe found a role where he is more involved because he links play very well indeed.
Cannot fault any of them for effort and Hazel and Felix took their goals brilliantly. Last season possibly would have lost that game so a good sign.
Squad Still short of a centre half and midfielder but great to start the season with a win and finish the game controlling the game.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Was it a diamond in midfield with Mondal at the point then? That was the formation we stumbled on that yielded success under cooper in the end.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:13 pm

First half an hour we were second best, but that might have been the team getting used to the midfield diamond formation (which we played for a short period against Whitby, not just on Thursday night during training). Once Purver and Lambert got into the game so did we. Although I agree we were playing long ball during that period, we were trying to get their defence turned round as their full backs were pushing up seeing as they were playing a back five. We did get into the game last 15 mins and had the best chances, in fact I don’t think they troubled Taylor.

Second Half, even before the sending off we were much the better side and should have gone further ahead. After the sending off we controlled the game and fully deserved the win.

Things to work on definitely but it’ll take a bit of time to get things clicking, but our forward options have so much potential.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:14 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:49 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:56 pm

Have to agree, the formation was unusual with Lambert basically playing midfield, often defending, and no width and looked like something we tried on Thursday night and he thought let’s give it a go! He clearly believes he has to play both Beck/Hazel but hasn’t figured out how yet?.
That said, I thought Lambert was MOM by a mile and maybe found a role where he is more involved because he links play very well indeed.
Cannot fault any of them for effort and Hazel and Felix took their goals brilliantly. Last season possibly would have lost that game so a good sign.
Squad Still short of a centre half and midfielder but great to start the season with a win and finish the game controlling the game.

Formation , Lambert one of our best players , played in a more central role, not sure (first half ) if it suited him , he was closed down too quickly , which stopped him doing what he does best, i.e. taking players on out wide, he tried it a number of times in MF and not the best place to loose the ball.
Enjoyed the game but i do think we need a winger to get those crosses in.
Really pleased with the result and the team effort, outstanding goals from Hazel(Pick) Beck And new boy Felix , good on yer lads.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:15 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:01 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
As a matter of interest did anyone on here sample the catering on offer today, and if so was it any good?
Had pie and peas, was not as hot as I would of liked it, but okay for £3.50.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:53 pm

darloed19 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:15 pm
Old Git wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Had pie and peas, was not as hot as I would of liked it, but okay for £3.50.
Great first result and the pie & peas was actually quite good.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:10 pm

What a surprise going into the bar and seeing that they had the early Premiership game on TV & at halftime they had the half time scores on, so well done on this little sign of progress from the rugby club.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:17 pm

Looking forward to seeing Hazels goal on the highlights, I was in a really good position to see it, superb composure and execution, that for me is the sign of what a good striker we have.👍

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:25 pm

Old Git wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Was announced as 1591.

Somehow either the announcement is wrong or the report is wrong.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:47 pm

Good 3 points that’s all that matters, still me of the negativity is laughable, Hazel looks the part, tough game next but fingers crossed.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:21 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:25 pm
Old Git wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Was announced as 1591.

Cheers for that Andy. Good to see Gloucester brought a few fans.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:19 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:What a surprise going into the bar and seeing that they had the early Premiership game on TV & at halftime they had the half time scores on, so well done on this little sign of progress from the rugby club.
Bloody hell. It's as if the rugby club are determined to make it difficult for Darlo fans to have something to moan about. They really do treat us with utter contempt.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:39 am

First half hour we struggled as Gloucester seemed to find space & pace but defence was solid despite ref randomly booking our players & lino continually tying his laces rather than cintributing to decisions. Hazel took his goal well & obviously a pacy handful who should feed well off Beck once they get used to each other. Beck was bit more static but fair play to him, got on the end of one of the few decent crosses made. That needs to improve as does the accuracy of passes. Mondal was replaced by Felix who was more effective & scored a cracker to seal the game. We did struggle a bit but once they went down to 10 men after a stupid 2nd offence, then we always looked liked taking all 3 points. Good start better than last season, well done AA on signings!

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:27 am

AndyPark wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Was announced as 1591.

I think there was confusion over the turnstiles amount and the number including hospitality. I would go with 1444 as that is what the club has put on the report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:51 am

uncovered wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:27 am
AndyPark wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Was announced as 1591.

I think there was confusion over the turnstiles amount and the number including hospitality. I would go with 1444 as that is what the club has put on the report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In non-league paper it’s 1591

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:08 am

Non league paper was taken from what Uncovered announced on the day.

One for the club to confirm but it seems more likely the 1,444 is the given figure.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:00 pm

In which case it was a poor show from the fans.

My eagle eye estimate, which rarely fails, was 1,500-1,600, so I'm going with the 1,591.