Southport v Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

StevieMardenboro
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport v Darlo

Post by StevieMardenboro » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:31 pm

I think the issue with the formation is he has previously favoured a 4-3-3 but is trying to find a way of playing with two central strikers. And I totally get that with Hazel and Beck.

I wouldn't mind seeing us with a flat 4-4-2 but it probably doesn't play to Lambert's strengths. If we persist with the diamond I think it would make more sense to have Lambert or Maddison at the tip of it.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:36 pm

Wondering if a 352 would work for us ?

Would definitely need another CB for it though

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:04 pm

Lallacab wrote:Wondering if a 352 would work for us ?

I don’t see our full backs being good enough to play the wing back role for 90 mins. You have to have a helluva engine and the ability to read the game from a positional sense. I just don’t see it working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:07 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:36 pm

Yes I wondered about 3-5-2 as a possible formation. I think Sukar could play on the left side of a back 3. However, when we have tried this formation in the past it seems to have left us vulnerable to pace out wide. It would require 2 wing backs who can cover a lot of ground, but I would think Griffiths and Hedley ought to be able to do it. Three in central midfield might make us more competitive with say Purver Moke and Lambert in there.
Surely the most important thing is to try to find a system that suits the players we have, rather than make the players fit into a system that does not suit them. I am sure AA is looking to do just that.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:57 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:07 pm
Lallacab wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:36 pm

Yes I wondered about 3-5-2 as a possible formation. I think Sukar could play on the left side of a back 3. However, when we have tried this formation in the past it seems to have left us vulnerable to pace out wide. It would require 2 wing backs who can cover a lot of ground, but I would think Griffiths and Hedley ought to be able to do it. Three in central midfield might make us more competitive with say Purver Moke and Lambert in there.
Surely the most important thing is to try to find a system that suits the players we have, rather than make the players fit into a system that does not suit them. I am sure AA is looking to do just that.
And there you have it ,the system needs to fit the players to be comfortable with it,not the way it's being tried,,fitting the players to a system that doesn't suit the players brought in by AA who seems for some ambiguous reason to want this diamond formation although it hasn't worked whenever he has asked the players to play that system. but AAis the manager and will I sincerely hope get a system that suit the team and takes us as a club forward.,early days of the season ,don't panic.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:00 pm

Simples , 4 4 2, it works, 2 wide men getting the ball in the box, for Hazel and Beck to do their thing, end of.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:43 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:00 pm
Simples , 4 4 2, it works, 2 wide men getting the ball in the box, for Hazel and Beck to do their thing, end of.
Like Mike Bassett I prefer 4-4-3. That extra man is a big help but don’t tell anyone 🤣

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:50 pm

Passing was very poor and the ball did not fall for us early doors but we should not have lost this game.

Everyone seems to be beating everyone else if you look at the first 3 games so far.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:08 pm

Highlights from last night for those who want them.

https://youtu.be/AHR484l2B1g

Quaker-Ste

Post by Quaker-Ste » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:23 am

From the highlights, the first offside goal was onside for me and the second one was more debatable.
Certainly looked like we were the better side but didn’t get any breaks in the box and they defended really well when down to 10 men.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:30 am

If you freeze it when the ball is knocked into the box, from the camera behind the goal it looks like Hazel made a really well timed run to nod it home. I don't think they could have had too many complaints if that one had stood and some of the Southport fans in line back that up. The highlights pretty much back up AA's sentiments in the interview that we were worth at least a point and it was a game we shouldn't have lost. Just a little bit more quality with the final ball and it would have been different but overall it wasn't the awful display that some are trying to make out.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:46 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:30 am
but overall it wasn't the awful display that some are trying to make out.
You mean the usual bedwetters!
As an aside, I've heard a "liddle" rumour theres another new signing coming in today.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:13 pm

I think people generally said there were lots of positives but the midfield didn't work well despite some valiant efforts. Their goal was messy but counted. Some of our passing was awful and that's after watching 90 minutes not just the highlights. It's rare to see our support drift away at the end but they voted with their feet at the final whistle. I was left disappointed but applauded.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:08 pm

loan_star wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:30 am
but overall it wasn't the awful display that some are trying to make out.
You mean the usual bedwetters!
As an aside, I've heard a "liddle" rumour theres another new signing coming in today.
You are generally spot on loan star so I will go for Ben Liddle....final answer.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:38 pm

Clearly loan star I am one of your so called "bed wetters" but after watching the full 90mins at the ground I stand by my comments about this game. Of the few I talked to at the game I don't remember anyone saying they thought we played well, especially in the second half against 10 men (and yes i know sometimes it is difficult against 10). It was just imo of course after watching all the last 3 games, and I am sure you will have a better understanding after watching the highlights.

As an aside I went to the York vs Solihull game last night and there is a fair bit of a difference in the level of play imo. Seemed faster and physically stronger, (given they are full time no surprise), even so I still think we have fair few players who are capable of that level.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:46 pm

Quaker-Ste wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:23 am
From the highlights, the first offside goal was onside for me and the second one was more debatable.
Certainly looked like we were the better side but didn’t get any breaks in the box and they defended really well when down to 10 men.
The first one is definitely onside the hanging left leg of the CB plays him on - admittedly all of about 1/16th of a second later they have switched places - the second one was definitely off.

Southport recorded and uploaded from the reverse angle to our footage so you can see Mondal for the second one and he is a good yard off when it is played.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:17 pm

When eagle-eyed lo rules it a legit goal, that's good enough for me! We wuz robbed :D