Darlington v Banbury Aug 20th

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Darlington v Banbury Aug 20th

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:57 pm

Looks a tough game this but maybe they are due a defeat, law of averages and all that.

Im driving up for this one as the trains look a mare.

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Banbury Aug 20th

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:06 am

Looking forward to today's game, especially now Ben Liddle is in the side. Hopefully we'll get a decent crowd of around 1500.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:32 pm

1-2 to Banbury, they more like they'll score the next goal rather than us.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:38 pm

Without Wheater and then with Lawlor forced off this is where the massive weakness in the squad lies. We have attacking overkill that in theory should see us create more than enough chances but at the moment it's not clicking and then nothing at the back to defend beyond our first choice. Needs addressing sooner than later.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:02 pm

Far to early to make any judgements, first goal was a cracker.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:22 pm

It’s the hope that kills ya☹️

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:33 pm

We were very good until they scored their equaliser, then we were very poor. Thought Purver was the best of a bad bunch and deservedly got MOTM. But not many positives apart from Lambert's goal.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:37 pm

Absolutely gash. Totally dejected after that inept performance.move over alun no excuses . spennymoor becomes you nemisis

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:39 pm

Sounded grim on DFR. Yet again we’re easy to beat and don’t seem capable of grinding out a result when we’re not at our best. Other teams seem better organised on too many occasions

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:41 pm

"We knaa what we've got in there"

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:52 pm

What did we try and play today 4312 or any other combination, anyone?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:53 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:37 pm
Absolutely gash. Totally dejected after that inept performance.move over alun no excuses . spennymoor becomes you nemisis
Get a grip :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:56 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:"We knaa what we've got in there"
Far too many injuries for whatever reasons.Wheater pulling out, Rose not played at all this season,Maddison apparently still not 100% fit, no Felix today.Still think our big weakness is midfield, not good enough imo.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:57 pm

On reflection good until Banbury scored then fell to pieces.could,not get a hold of the rest of the game.Hazel ineffective.time and again Mondial free calling for the pass no too easy. passed it into the middle straight to a Banbury player not once did they play as a team.looking to win .to many running on 75/80% not giving the 100% required to win the ball or the game.
Shocking horror show after they equalised. Where do we go from here.
AA it's your call.sort it please or fans won't tolerate this for much longer.as I said I left totally dejected after such a good start.
Last edited by onewayup on Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:58 pm

Not my usual long rant, bit despondent.
Fed up losing to teams who are much better organised, know their game plan, are tactically sound and players who blatantly want to win more than us. No reserve centre half of any quality in the club but continues to sign attackers and midfielders.
Down to the manager all of that and not a new situation either.
AA genuinely thought playing Rivers and Mondal as wing backs when 1-2 down would change the game!!! Really.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:00 pm

We looked like we would murder them after the first 20-25 minutes but then fell away badly for the rest of the game, not helped by losing both centre backs and having to put our best midfielder into defence. Very disappointing but the best team won and worrying how we just ran out of ideas in our worst performance so far. AA's got some thinking to do and may need defensive back-up if these injuries aren't just short-term. Wheater's got a groin problem and Lawlor's looked something similar.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:01 pm

Theoriginalfatcat .
Were you happy with today or tuesday.explaine what you saw that gives you confidence.
Last edited by onewayup on Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:13 pm

Sadly nothing surprising in the result -especially with no Wheater .

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:48 pm

Exactly.nothing , com,on we aren't going to get 90 mins out of David every game.you can't seriously blame not having wheats in would have changed anything .not enough determination to win the ball time and time again just didn't give the effort required to get the ball. Jacob was wofull. time and time again didn't pass to player calling for the ball forward.instead passing into the middle only for a Banbury player to take the ball. It's got to be sorted basic stuff surely.hopefully AA can sort this out quickly .
Last edited by onewayup on Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:48 pm

I know it's easy to be a wiseacre .. but I remember posting before the season that we should have a solid alternative for Wheater. It really seems crucial now, I wonder if he'll last till Christmas or if it's fair to expect him to. We might have a good looking front line but against well organised sides like Banbury it won't always work so if the back line's vulnerable we lose home games like today. I don't anticipate wetting the bed just yet because the issues are clear enough early in the season - let's get the defence organised and win a few 1-0's. :problem: :problem:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:16 pm

No grumbles about the result today. Banbury were a decent side who just kept it simple and did the basics well without being over elaborate.
Obviously a big blow losing Wheater during the warm up and then Lawlor having to go off injured in the second half. Hope those are not serious injuries, because I would be fearful of going to Spennymoor without those two in the line up. The squad looks unbalanced with little cover in defence and presumably we may need to look at bringing in a loanee or two if the injuries are not short term. We have 2 games in 48 hours next weekend and it seems unlikely that Wheater and Lawlor will manage both games if not fully fit.
What baffles me is that we have 2 big strikers on the field and don’t put in any decent crosses into the penalty area. Second half was poor and it took until about 10 minutes from the end before a cross from Sukar which resulted in a good header from Beck which the keeper did well to save. Far to often we took too many passes to get the ball forward in contrast to their second goal when the ball was moved swiftly up the field, before a pinpoint cross and an easy header for the striker.
Early days but same old failings from last season so far.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:30 pm

Very pleased that Alun,s interview after the game was as the fans saw it no forward balls, playing across rather than looking to find a forward player,
I will let it rest there. :silent:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:54 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:30 pm
Very pleased that Alun,s interview after the game was as the fans saw it no forward balls, playing across rather than looking to find a forward player,
I will let it rest there. :silent:
Agreed. I think his assessment was fair and realistic. Hopefully he can put things right for next week.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:09 pm

onewayup wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:01 pm
Theoriginalfatcat .
Were you happy with today or tuesday.explaine what you saw that gives you confidence.
I wasn't happy with today but your original post was hyperbole! However I will agree with you here -
onewayup wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:30 pm
But it's too early to become despondent.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:38 am

Bit surprised nobody has mentioned the ref who was biased against us. Worst decision was a goal kick when it was clear their keeper made a great diviñg save & 2 handedly pushed a shot beyond the far post. Banbury players made sure they screamed & fell over every time they were tackled then no action taken when they wrestled our players, pulling shirts etc. Quakers did not mark close enough & we seemed to get swarmed on by them. Nobody looked to pass the ball forward & Hazel / Beck failed to click together. Whatever formation AA was trying to instil just did not work & a makeshift defence looked lost without Wheater, despite best efforts of Purver to hold things together. Time for rethink & changes from AA, who inexplicably took off Griffiths & brought on Rivers.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:19 am

He took Griffiths off as he was on a yellow card and didn’t dare foul their guy in the build up to their second goal??

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:04 am

I think it's fair to say yesterday was a bit of a mixed bag, we were very good in the first half hour controlled the game and went 1-0 up through a superb goal from Jack Lambert, saw the keeper off his line and curled it beautifully into the top corner.

We completely switched off for their equaliser, got caught ball watching from a throw in and after that the tide turned, they got into the game a lot more in the second half and took the lead thanks to more poor defending from us, they were finding huge gaps in our back line and their lad was left totally unchecked at the far post. Maddison was non existent and I don't think Beck had an effort on goal until the last 10 minutes which the keeper saved, in all honesty though at 2-1 down we never looked getting back into it, credit to them though, they look a decent side who could well challenge for promotion again this season.

I don't want to be overly critical at such an early stage of the season but yesterday was my first game of the season and from what I saw it seems after a decent opening two games we have fallen back into that same pattern as we did at the end of last season, all will be forgiven with a good result at Spennymoor next week though!

Also that decision to award them a goal kick when their keeper looked to have clearly turned the ball around the far post is the most bizarre I've ever seen.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:24 am

Banbury's budget last season for players and staff was 140k.

These dudes will mostly be on £100 a week.

I'll leave it at that.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:52 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:24 am

I'll leave it at that.
Thought I might add, passion, will to win, determination and belief.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:55 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:52 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:24 am

I'll leave it at that.
Thought I might add, passion, will to win, determination and belief.
These are things that should be instilled by the manager.