Ben Liddle

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Wijnhard's_Schlong
Team Supported: Darlington

Ben Liddle

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:02 pm

Signing confirmed :thumbup:

AndyPark

Re: Ben Liddle

Post by AndyPark » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:06 pm

Superb signing.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:32 pm

This really is a quality signing and I see absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t be pushing for a play off spot given the quality we now have. I have to ask the question about the budget though. DJ was very clear a few weeks ago that the budget was spent up but since then we’ve brought in Felix and Liddle who you would expect to be fairly big earners along with a couple of young players.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:43 pm

Yeah, the budget question is one I find very perplexing.

That being said, I do trust aa and DJ to use our money properly. Buy if we have this squad, within the budget set by boost the budget, then fair play, that is good going.

Sounds an excellent signing. Now just need to work out how best to fit everyone in.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:45 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:32 pm
This really is a quality signing and I see absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t be pushing for a play off spot given the quality we now have. I have to ask the question about the budget though. DJ was very clear a few weeks ago that the budget was spent up but since then we’ve brought in Felix and Liddle who you would expect to be fairly big earners along with a couple of young players.
Someone mentioned on here or the tinshed that DJ might have said that to put off any competition, shrewd move if true. Another quality signing!

PolamLane

Post by PolamLane » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:21 pm

Looks to be a quality addition to the squad....next few games will be interesting in terms of selection/formation...nice problem to have with the bulk of the season to come.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:30 pm

Really pleased with this signing, exactly what we were missing in my opinion, the play offs have to be the goal for us this season, the budget certainly has gone far! :shock:

Welcome Ben!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:39 am

Yes, another high calibre signing. You can only guess that either Johnston was telling fibs, or we've found some extra cash somewhere, or a couple of extra signings had already had budget allocated to them on the basis we had already identified targets.

Otherwise we're taking a gamble on moving one or two on up the ladder a la Charman and Donawa.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:59 am

I reckon he was telling fibs so we don’t get held to ransom. Very astute from DJ

Hopefully that’s our rough diamond problem solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quaker-Ste

Post by Quaker-Ste » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:45 am

So with the Liddle signing, does Alun go with 442 so he can play both Beck n Hazel and perhaps Moke and Liddle in the middle with Felix/Rivers on the right and Lambert/ Maddison on the left?
433 doesn’t fit if both Beck n Hazel play.
352 means no wingers and the untried Emery at the back.
Or persist with the diamond and swap Purver for Liddle. This doesn’t get the best out of Felix for me though and crosses in the box are from deep rather than from further up the field.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:13 am

I don't know a great deal about what type of midfielder Liddle is , is he a , Hatfield type , or Rose type , aggressive, playmaker , or something else . Anyone ?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:34 am

Wow, I saw Craig's Darlo debut back in the last century (away at Mansfield) now hopefully I will see his son's!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:52 am

Quaker-Ste wrote:So with the Liddle signing, does Alun go with 442 so he can play both Beck n Hazel and perhaps Moke and Liddle in the middle with Felix/Rivers on the right and Lambert/ Maddison on the left?
433 doesn’t fit if both Beck n Hazel play.
352 means no wingers and the untried Emery at the back.
Or persist with the diamond and swap Purver for Liddle. This doesn’t get the best out of Felix for me though and crosses in the box are from deep rather than from further up the field.
It means we have options and different shapes we can play in different situations, and decent cover for most (if not all) positions.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:22 pm

poppyfield wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:13 am
I don't know a great deal about what type of midfielder Liddle is , is he a , Hatfield type , or Rose type , aggressive, playmaker , or something else . Anyone ?
In the interview he said his best position was a number 8, so a playmaker

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:20 pm

Would like to think this signing is the final piece of the jigsaw. Sounds like exactly what we need as our midfield was just not creating enough chances at Southport. OK, Rose and Maddison still not 100% fit but if Ben is half as good as his dad, then I'll be very happy. Am sure the TinShed will make him welcome

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:34 pm

Still think we need a ‘talented’ nasty midfielder who won’t be pushed around and can break up play , on the books.

Mario

Post by Mario » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:07 pm

It would be harsh to drop Purver who I thought was very good against Chorley and Southport.

I hope AA does away with the number 10 role as it's not just working.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:06 pm

Mario wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:07 pm
It would be harsh to drop Purver who I thought was very good against Chorley and Southport.

I hope AA does away with the number 10 role as it's not just working.
Agreed re Purver and the No.10. The diamond hasn’t worked imo. We look too narrow. AA mentioned that he can now switch to a 4231