Darlington v Alfreton 10/02/24

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerlad
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Alfreton 10/02/24

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:15 am

Broken record I know! , but how come we still have not signed a couple of creative players. They have been here long enough now surely to have made this happen. You telling me that the 3 N East big clubs don’t have any decent players who would benefit from a loan.

Thought once transfer window closed that we would see some progress. They know, we know that the only slim chance we have is to be better in final third, they say it every interview, well do something about it then please.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:30 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:15 am
Broken record I know! , but how come we still have not signed a couple of creative players. They have been here long enough now surely to have made this happen. You telling me that the 3 N East big clubs don’t have any decent players who would benefit from a loan.

Thought once transfer window closed that we would see some progress. They know, we know that the only slim chance we have is to be better in final third, they say it every interview, well do something about it then please.
SW has said plenty of times he has been speaking to players/clubs to get someone in.The problem is they obviously don’t fancy it and to be honest who can blame them.The big 3 will have player that could improve us but you can’t put a gun to their heads and make them come to us when there are better options out there.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:32 am

Quakerlad wrote:

Not sure if the rules have changed but there used to be a week gap between the transfer window closing and the loan window opening.(During which you could sign only free agents)
Maybe Lo can tell us if they now run on without a gap?

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:48 am

Game on :thumbup:

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:06 am

Looking forward to this one, another real test, be prepared for a bombardment of our goal 😀

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:10 am

It'll be muddy too!

None of this plastic pitch nonsense ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:58 am

Emdubya wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:30 am
Quakerlad wrote:

SW has said plenty of times he has been speaking to players/clubs to get someone in.The problem is they obviously don’t fancy it and to be honest who can blame them.The big 3 will have player that could improve us but you can’t put a gun to their heads and make them come to us when there are better options out there.
The targets we have had have gone elsewhere, other than Main and Cornish of course.
There were rumors of signings this week but neither have transpired again.
If we couldn’t attract good players when we were top of the league then it’s going to be a lot harder when we are second bottom. The lack of investment last season, post Beck, has cost us big style.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Great to see Barrow back in the starting 11

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:25 pm

Team for today

Taylor, Hedley, Platt, Lees, Siddik, Barrow, Griffiths, Hatfield, Liddle, Cornish Main

Subs: Ngandu, Salkeld, Curry, Nelson, Lindley

Trying to work that out:
- 4 at the back with Hedley in midfield
- 3 at the back with Platt slotting in and Griffiths and Barrow as WB

Similar at the other end of the pitch not quite sure how that fits together.

In my mind could be any of the below or variations thereof:
4-4-2 diamond:
------------------------ Taylor ---------------------------
Griffiths ------ Lees - Siddik ------- Barrow
------------------------ Platt ----------------------------
---------- Hatfield -------- Hedley ----------------
----------------------- Liddle --------------------------
---------------- Main --- Cornish ------------------

3-4-3:
--------------- Lees - Platt - Siddik ---------------
Griffiths --- Hedley - Hatfield ---- Barrrow
------------- Cornish ----- Liddle ------------------
------------------------ Main ----------------------------

5-4-1:
--------------- Lees - Platt - Siddik ---------------
Griffiths ----------------------------------- Barrrow
Cornish ---- Hatfield -- Hedley ---- Liddle
------------------------ Main ----------------------------

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:00 pm

HT 0 0

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:58 pm

2 down, that’s it, we are done for.

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:00 pm

Yup.

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:04 pm

Surely we all must admit it's time to plan for life in the NLP :oops:

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:11 pm

The worst reffing decision ever for the penalty.then he's allowing farsley 10 / 15 yards on their throw ins absolutely clueless.. fouls given the wrong way time and time again..
However I don't have much faith in us beating the drop now.hopfully I am wrong.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:15 pm

Top and bottom of it is the team just aren't good enough

The_Natural

Post by The_Natural » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:20 pm

b****** Southport turning it around today doesn’t help either

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:31 pm

Doesn't matter, we're done now. And deservedly so. Can't wait to bin this shower if shite off in the summer and start again.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:33 pm

Beaten again by a rubbish team who are near the playoffs, deserved a point but yet again cannot score.Have to admit we have no chance now and doesn't help when we cannot bring players in.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:35 pm

With our goal difference we are now 10 points adrift and I don’t see us picking up a point in our remaining games this month
The dog and duck league is now a certainty.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:36 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:33 pm
Beaten again by a rubbish team who are near the playoffs, deserved a point but yet again cannot score.Have to admit we have no chance now and doesn't help when we cannot bring players in.

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk
Yep agreed Ron. Today pretty much confirms it. Angry and sad that the decision making since last January has brought us to this point

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:47 pm

That’s it now we are going to be relegated. Do we deserve it, yes we do, because we gift silly goals and are useless at creating and converting chances. Again we weren’t outplayed, but we’re beaten by a more physical team, which is a familiar pattern.
A word on the referee. Absolutely bizarre performance by the man in black, capped by his inability to realise he had booked the Alfreton No 8 twice but failed to show him a red card. I don’t think this clot would cope with using blue cards if he can’t work out that 2 yellows equals a red.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:53 pm

If it wasn't for Hatfield telling him what he should do the ref would have carried on with the game with a player on two yellows. Never seen anything like it. Surely that's just basic stuff for the officials, keeping record of who has been booked.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:08 pm

Bottom line is that the players are not strong enough, fit enough and just blatantly not good enough to keep us in this league.

When did we last beat a strong, well organised, physical team………answer is, so long ago I cannot remember. Yes the ref was awful, yes they rolled around injured but even after 2 long journeys in a week they still looked miles fitter and quicker than us and wanted to win more than us. Again!

Still not 100% on Watson to be honest. Yes he has been dealt a bad deal but:
1. Why continue with Hatfield, Platt, Liddle in midfield, with nil creativity.?
2. Chopping and changing formation and personnel every game.
3. We slaughtered Gowls when he played Griffiths as a central defender, but Hedley today?
4. Must win game and plays a lone small centre forward against massive defenders.
5. Despite saying for 3 weeks that creativity is coming in, they never arrive.

Just frustrated I guess as still think we should give him the job now so he can build ( even in his head) a big strong physical team for Div below. Remember last time we won it we had exactly those type of players, 100% winners.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:15 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:53 pm
If it wasn't for Hatfield telling him what he should do the ref would have carried on with the game with a player on two yellows. Never seen anything like it. Surely that's just basic stuff for the officials, keeping record of who has been booked.
One for our referee on the forum. If the referee had restarted and completed the game with a player on 2 yellow cards, without realising his mistake, would that have been grounds for an appeal to get the result voided and the game replayed ?

en passant

Post by en passant » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:18 pm

I think that the board have had this season in hand from day one.

The message at the start was to lower our expectations and when we had the hope that an exceptional BtB would prove them wrong they tried their level best to undermine any glimmer of hope that we might have had with managerial, formation and player changes. The second manager gets the OK to spend silly money on one quality signing and the hope is raised again. But then we find that the manager hasn't got a clue about our situation and has brought in a crock. So we get a new manager and a new BtB to, yet again, give us hope that things might still be saved, But we are being disappointed once again. So the board have got us where they always wanted us, thoroughly dejected and disillusioned. They have truly fulfilled their objective from day one to lower expectations. In fact they have gone way beyond that.
Is this what they had hoped for? Did they really want to ring every penny out of the fans and then kick us in the teeth with abject performance after performance? I cannot believe that.
So I think that this has all been part of a cunning plan to put us in this desperate situation and then hit us with the news... BAM. Asante isn't a crock but is a superstar, and that what seems to be an average and disjointed team has just been joshing with us, and like some butterfly emerging from a chrysalis will turn into world beaters and we will finish the season easily avoiding relegation and the fans will carry the board shoulder high around the pitch on the final day of the season. And everything that went before will be forgotten and the season will be deemed to have been a success.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:23 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:08 pm
Bottom line is that the players are not strong enough, fit enough and just blatantly not good enough to keep us in this league.

When did we last beat a strong, well organised, physical team………answer is, so long ago I cannot remember. Yes the ref was awful, yes they rolled around injured but even after 2 long journeys in a week they still looked miles fitter and quicker than us and wanted to win more than us. Again!

3. We slaughtered Gowls when he played Griffiths as a central defender, but Hedley today?
4. Must win game and plays a lone small centre forward against massive defenders.

Just frustrated I guess as still think we should give him the job now so he can build ( even in his head) a big strong physical team for Div below. Remember last time we won it we had exactly those type of players, 100% winners.
Agree that if Gowling had put out that line up he would have been slaughtered. Hedley can't even defend as a full-back let alone as a centre half. Truth is it is easier to blame the managers than to admit that our squad is absolute garbage and that we lose whatever formation we play.

Don't agree on needing more physical players. Hatfield and Platt are both physical players in the middle of park, but neither of them can pass a ball or trap a bag of cement. Hatfield runs around and shows passion therefore people hero worship him, but he has been utter tripe for months. We are where we are because we have really poor players, not even good enough for NPL. The rebuilding job is enormous.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:25 pm

Quakerlad wrote:

We did and they were expertly managed by a certain Mr Martin Gray 👏👏👏

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:32 pm

When you are expecting two players who are usually full backs to supply the ammo for a front 1 then you get the result that idea deserves. Absolute desperation excepting that to work.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:35 pm

Quakerlad wrote:

So many have been moaning about formations & team selections for the past 12 months. We’ve had three different experienced managers this season, all of them have basically tried every formation and combinations of the players we’ve got, they’re not good enough and Alfreton would’ve probably won this match regardless of what team was picked.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:39 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:32 pm
When you are expecting two players who are usually full backs to supply the ammo for a front 1 then you get the result that idea deserves. Absolute desperation excepting that to work.
Full backs should be able to cross a ball.