Rugby League

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13274
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:59 am

That's the way to do it, Wigan were awesome in the second half & blew away Wakefield with a fantastic attacking display. Wigan really seem to be benefiting from having such versatile players with the like of Hardaker playing at full-back & Farrell playing at centre for the first time in his life.

I watched some of the Hull KR game but didn't see those incidents so can't sorry I can't pass comment.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13274
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:04 am

It was great to Mose in the studio, although I'm not sure he'll make a great pundit given that he expected Wakefield to beat Wigan, haha.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:47 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:04 am
It was great to Mose in the studio, although I'm not sure he'll make a great pundit given that he expected Wakefield to beat Wigan, haha.
Think he took Wakey in deference to his time at Saints.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:00 am

Wigan were poor first half but much better second. You do go OTT at times with your praise of them.
It is a shame you did not watch all KR's match. You would have agreed with me. On my Rugby group I even had Saints fans agreeing with me.
I do not say we should have won. I do say we gave the best team in the Northern hemisphere a good game. When a side is 10 up with 25 to go and they kick a penalty from close range instead of going for a try and then drop a 1 pointer they are saying we respect this lot and are finding it hard.
As to Hicks, now I have slightly calmed down. Try number 1, a pass that went about 5 yards forwards. The lad would have scored anyway with a legal pass as they had a 3-1 overload, but the fact it was forward means it should have been chalked off. Funny thing on this, Sky NEVER run back far when there is any doubt about a top sides try's.
The big thing that everyone is mystified by, at 13-0 we were still in it with about 18 minutes to go. Saints had 2 restarts and we dropped out twice so we were really under the cosh defensively at the time, but as all the time from the 8th minute we looked OK defensively. They were about 10 out on our left side defending when 1 of their players dropped the ball and Quinny scooped it up. You could quite clearly hear Hicks say "Play on, play on". No idea how, but Quinny somehow got away from about 5 Saints and was breaking clear when Hicks blew up and took it back. He then gave us the ball. !!!! Now Quinny is no slouch and he had a decent to good chance of going the length and getting under the posts. That could have made it 13-6, and from there !!!! ?
It was so blatantly wrong, and over a period of about 5-6 seconds so not a spur of the moment reaction. The RFL really should be looking at it. It will not do us any good, but he should be stood down from his next games as a player would be.

comeondarlo
Posts: 2715
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: A Swimming Pool (usually).

Re: Rugby League

Post by comeondarlo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:41 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:57 pm
HICKS, what a cheating b****** that man is.
Both Saints first 2 trys were forward last passes.
We hold them well enough they resort to taking a penalty and a drop goal and he helps yet again by stopping the game when Quinny breaks away and has the gall to give us the bloody ball back in the corner !!! WTF.
To make matters even worse he sends up a try when Abduls foot kept the ball from being grounded. This having sent Lawler off for ????????
We have given the best side in the Northern hemisphere a good game, but while I don't mind losing that get has totally sickened me.
I watched the game and you’re viewing it through rose tinted glasses!
KR defended very well but the decisions were fair enough IMO. KR were warned and warned about interference and consistently ignored Hicks, Lawler was the guy that paid the price. The try ‘on the foot’ was a try, end of!

Great defence against a very good side but you’re simply not going to score enough throughout the season to be anywhere near getting out of the bottom four. The Cat ‘draw’ against yous was an odd one off result which had more to do with Cats complacency than KRs attacking abilities.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:12 pm

comeondarlo wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:41 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:57 pm
HICKS, what a cheating b****** that man is.
Both Saints first 2 trys were forward last passes.
We hold them well enough they resort to taking a penalty and a drop goal and he helps yet again by stopping the game when Quinny breaks away and has the gall to give us the bloody ball back in the corner !!! WTF.
To make matters even worse he sends up a try when Abduls foot kept the ball from being grounded. This having sent Lawler off for ????????
We have given the best side in the Northern hemisphere a good game, but while I don't mind losing that get has totally sickened me.
I watched the game and you’re viewing it through rose tinted glasses!
KR defended very well but the decisions were fair enough IMO. KR were warned and warned about interference and consistently ignored Hicks, Lawler was the guy that paid the price. The try ‘on the foot’ was a try, end of!

Great defence against a very good side but you’re simply not going to score enough throughout the season to be anywhere near getting out of the bottom four. The Cat ‘draw’ against yous was an odd one off result which had more to do with Cats complacency than KRs attacking abilities.
You are ignoring that Saints also "interfered" without reprisals. I did not even bother to mention such mundane things.
The "try on the foot" as you call it, the defender went in to join the tackle he did not deliberately put his foot under the ball. The ball did not touch the floor, and it was not given as a penalty try which it should have been had the ball not been grounded because of a foul, ie the foot being deliberately put under the ball to stop the grounding.
All of those points we could argue all night long and not resolve anything as it is all subjective. You missed even mentioning the worst decision.
What excuse do you give for him pulling Quinny back having not once, but twice said "Play on"?
Nor I notice, did you argue about the first 2 tries being forward passes. I find it sad that this happens to all sides so often yet nothing is done about it.
Lets face it, a "home game" against the best side on their ground is a bad start. Why not change fixtures round and have that as there home game in the hope we can play at CP soon for the reverse fixture?
I don't accept the rose tinted glasses comment this time.
Comment from a Hull fan on my group, "hi pal, did you enjoy the hicks show last night"
Comment from a Wire fan "I've said all those things to my other half during the game!! Shocking!! Including the smirking when Elliott was down! How many 6 again do stains need?? Then to sinbin Lawler?? How much help do they need? No problem with a loss.. but a fair loss!! Hope we dont get him tomorrow!!!! (Wire)". ...... What did you think about him laughing with Saints players when Eliot was down? By the way, it is odds on his season is finished!!
Comment from a Saints fan, "I thought you had a few tough calls tonight. I'm still confused about the Quinny break then being called back. On a lighter note does anybody else shout WILSON when you see Hicks"
When even Saints fans agree I think it is point made.

User avatar
robsraiders
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by robsraiders » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:12 pm

After 2 games in I am well happy with Tigers start with 2 wins, always nice beating that small town in Yorkshire ! Hope for a good season and a top 6 finish is well within our grasp, although would settle for a challenge cup final win

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:14 am

robsraiders wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:12 pm
After 2 games in I am well happy with Tigers start with 2 wins, always nice beating that small town in Yorkshire ! Hope for a good season and a top 6 finish is well within our grasp, although would settle for a challenge cup final win
Think you are aiming a bit low at 6th. Fully expect you to be top 4.
Seems like you have a side that can scrape a win and also play good rugby when given the chance.

comeondarlo
Posts: 2715
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: A Swimming Pool (usually).

Re: Rugby League

Post by comeondarlo » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:41 am

robsraiders wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:12 pm
After 2 games in I am well happy with Tigers start with 2 wins, always nice beating that small town in Yorkshire ! Hope for a good season and a top 6 finish is well within our grasp, although would settle for a challenge cup final win
From a ‘small town in Yorkshire’ fan, I thought you throughly deserved the win.
You’re deffo a top 6 side, the Cup’s a lottery; so much depends on who you’re drawn against!

Btw next time the ‘small town in Yorkshire’ will give you a better game once our experience returns!

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:36 pm

comeondarlo wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:41 am
robsraiders wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:12 pm
After 2 games in I am well happy with Tigers start with 2 wins, always nice beating that small town in Yorkshire ! Hope for a good season and a top 6 finish is well within our grasp, although would settle for a challenge cup final win
From a ‘small town in Yorkshire’ fan, I thought you throughly deserved the win.
You’re deffo a top 6 side, the Cup’s a lottery; so much depends on who you’re drawn against!

Btw next time the ‘small town in Yorkshire’ will give you a better game once our experience returns!
They are going out of the cup first game :D :lol: :D :lol:

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13274
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:12 pm

Of the 5 sides with 100% records St. Helen's, Hull, Wigan, Castleford & Catalan, the 4 English sides have looked the most impressive. Catalan struggled to put away a poor Huddersfield side earlier on today.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:27 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:12 pm
Of the 5 sides with 100% records St. Helen's, Hull, Wigan, Castleford & Catalan, the 4 English sides have looked the most impressive. Catalan struggled to put away a poor Huddersfield side earlier on today.
Again all opinions mate. The Dull fans I chat to have not been at all impressed so far with their team. I do not think it would be nice of me to say what I think of them. Their top player so far has been Cator. The treacherous git.
Think you should turn off the commentators when you watch Sky. Sizer is their go too man and when he is missing Udders struggle going forward, but they are not bad in defence at times. Cat's at least, twice now, found a way to win.
The 2 that impressed me most this weekend were Saints and Cas. Saints for the work ethic they put in to grind us down when the flair did not work, and Cas have shown all that is good in RL in both games so far.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:54 pm


EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:03 am

Minchella's season is ended with the ACL that Hicks thought was funny when he went down !!!!

And still we keep our record of getting season injuries not 1-2 game ones !!!!

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13274
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:10 pm

Sadly, you're not alone with injury hit squads. Most SL sides seem to have plenty of injuries this season, the difference between the big clubs & the rest is that the larger clubs have squad players or youth players that can more than adequately stand in for their injured colleague. The other clubs may have a strong 13, but they don't have suitable replacements that can step in for injured colleagues, especially if the injured player is one of their top players.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13274
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:58 pm

I'm surprised to hear that Daryl Powell is to take over at Warrington from 2022. Wonder what Rob thinks about that? Does that mean that Daryl Powell thinks he has taken Castleford as far as he think he can take them?

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:10 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:58 pm
I'm surprised to hear that Daryl Powell is to take over at Warrington from 2022. Wonder what Rob thinks about that? Does that mean that Daryl Powell thinks he has taken Castleford as far as he think he can take them?
Not a great shock as he announced a couple of weeks ago this was his last season at Cas. With Price wanting to go back to Aus the timing of the 2 fit together nicely.
2 clubs on about level par on the pitch but Warry have more money behind them so may be seen as an upgrade. To be honest, he has done a good job at Cas as they have punched above their weight the last few years and have muscled their way into the top 6 constantly without really being able to attract the same sort of players as Saints and Wigwam, and I mean that as a compliment not an insult.
I think wherever Powel goes he is going to miss the all in 1 family atmosphere at Cas.
I don't know how many grounds you have been to Pete, but if you have not been to the jungle you really should get yourself there before they eventually move away. You will not regret it

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13274
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:18 pm

No I haven't been to many RL grounds, but hopefully when crowds are allowed back, I will be able to attend a few more away games. I think Castleford will struggle to find a suitable replacement for Powell & they will probably struggle to achieve the continuing success on the pitch that Powell has achieved in recent season.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:28 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:18 pm
No I haven't been to many RL grounds, but hopefully when crowds are allowed back, I will be able to attend a few more away games. I think Castleford will struggle to find a suitable replacement for Powell & they will probably struggle to achieve the continuing success on the pitch that Powell has achieved in recent season.
You will have fun visiting them. It is rather like being in the arena 1 week then Blackwell meadows pre improvements the next. Some of the new grounds are totally sterile. Wigwam happen to be 1 of the better newer ones. Places like Wakey, and Cas are rather bedraggled while a couple, KR being 1, are a mix of old and new. Once you drop into the Championship and below it gets to be real fun Featherstone is a mix of about 7 stands and non of them fit, while Batley is like Chester's Sealand rd. (You spend all the game worrying the roof does not come off if it is windy), and their pitch is like climbing Scar Fell. The drop would certainly not be allowed in the football league.
Rob, curious, apart from the jungle, which is your favourite ground to visit?

User avatar
robsraiders
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by robsraiders » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:16 pm

Firstly about Powell he has done a fantastic job with not a lot of financial support, fans will send him on his way with best wishes, going to the Wire he will have a bigger budget, who comes in ? dont know but Ryan Sheridan may get his chance and no problem with that.

The Jungle ? Falling down like going back into the 70s think York City toilets and thats the standard,outside walls have glass imbeded in them, but so enjoyable with fans close to the pitch. Town population is around 40k so crowds of 6,000 + is brilliant loads of kids and women attend.
Think we will be there for a few more seasons before move to outoftown stadium, so if you get the chance get along, think its aound £22 not bad for top league.

Not been to a lot of grounds to watch RL but been to Wakefield,Hull,Leeds, Newcastle,Gateshead Darlo Arena Old Trafford for Grand finals and world cup finals and England games at Wembley.
My favourite will have to be The Jungle though, like Feethams bang in the centre of town.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:30 am

robsraiders wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:16 pm
Firstly about Powell he has done a fantastic job with not a lot of financial support, fans will send him on his way with best wishes, going to the Wire he will have a bigger budget, who comes in ? dont know but Ryan Sheridan may get his chance and no problem with that.

The Jungle ? Falling down like going back into the 70s think York City toilets and thats the standard,outside walls have glass imbeded in them, but so enjoyable with fans close to the pitch. Town population is around 40k so crowds of 6,000 + is brilliant loads of kids and women attend.
Think we will be there for a few more seasons before move to outoftown stadium, so if you get the chance get along, think its aound £22 not bad for top league.

Not been to a lot of grounds to watch RL but been to Wakefield,Hull,Leeds, Newcastle,Gateshead Darlo Arena Old Trafford for Grand finals and world cup finals and England games at Wembley.
My favourite will have to be The Jungle though, like Feethams bang in the centre of town.
Had to chuckle at your comments about the jungle. Not that I can argue apart from the York bogs bit. Lets put it down as quaint and old world.
I knew it would be your favourite that is why I said APART from the jungle, and to be fare to it, compared to Wakey it is positively bang up to date.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:50 pm

22-6 to KR at half time.
Cas are NOT playing badly. We are as the com's are saying on fire.
4-0 out wide. Kick hit the post from near the line.
4-6 as Cas slide through with a nice play on their left and the lad runs round to the posts to make the kick easy.
To that point we had been the better side and could have been 2-3 scores ahead but the next 10 was all Cas with 3 sets on our line not going over.
10-6. Near the half way Jez Litten played a dummy and Cas are still moving in the wrong direction as I write.
16-6. Quickfire double from KR having been held up over the line we came again and Parcells went in left of the post.
22-6 Micky Lewis is again having a hell of a game for a young lad. Made it himself and finished it.
This is not over yet and do not rule Cas out.
We have the wind to our backs second half kicking to the North stand. Hope Abdul goes for a couple of long kicks to move us down the field.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:09 pm

Unbelievable 4 periods of extra time. Both sides miss about 5 kicks and then bloody Obrien does us again.
32-33.

What a game.

User avatar
robsraiders
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by robsraiders » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:16 pm

Wow what a game worth the fiver, we should never have won that feel for HKR but thats cup football

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:36 am

robsraiders wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:16 pm
Wow what a game worth the fiver, we should never have won that feel for HKR but thats cup football
You are not wrong there. I am still wrung out this morning.
Only bones of contention were the number of resets he gave you while we had so few, and I thought the ball hit the floor before it was kicked forwards off 1 of our lads for McShanes try, so it should have been a knock on not another 6 to you.
It is so wrong that when you were on your own 30 when the hooter goes that we allow you to go 70 yards to get to extra time, but once we got there I always knew ruddy Obrien would do us again. I can not remember us ever winning an extra time game.
Well done Cas, that was 1 hell of a game, and such a shame it was not on free TV for the world to see. We would gain many more through the gates if all games were like that.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:50 am

By the way Rob, I was in stitches laughing with Kenny-Dowall's try.
I have watched you a lot and I have never seen Sene-Lefao treated like that. Carried along with 2 of his mates on a players back as if they were on a training exercise. That was some show of strength.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13274
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:34 am

It must have been a great game, sadly not on terrestrial TV. Wasn't it supposed to be on BBC? Comfortable win for Wigan at York. It should be a good game next Thursday as we play Leeds, followed up with a game against Castleford.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:57 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:34 am
It must have been a great game, sadly not on terrestrial TV. Wasn't it supposed to be on BBC? Comfortable win for Wigan at York. It should be a good game next Thursday as we play Leeds, followed up with a game against Castleford.
You should be wishing it was Cas next. It will be very surprising if either they or KR are ready to go again inside a full weeks break. We both go again on Friday with home games while you play Thursday.
It was never scheduled for terrestrial TV and again that is such a shame as it is rare to see a game as good. (How often do the losing side say that)?
I only posted a short comment last night. Not because I was upset or angry, but because I was just so drained with the tension. Rob will have been the other end of the scale.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13274
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:44 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:57 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:34 am
It must have been a great game, sadly not on terrestrial TV. Wasn't it supposed to be on BBC? Comfortable win for Wigan at York. It should be a good game next Thursday as we play Leeds, followed up with a game against Castleford.
You should be wishing it was Cas next. It will be very surprising if either they or KR are ready to go again inside a full weeks break. We both go again on Friday with home games while you play Thursday.
It was never scheduled for terrestrial TV and again that is such a shame as it is rare to see a game as good. (How often do the losing side say that)?
I only posted a short comment last night. Not because I was upset or angry, but because I was just so drained with the tension. Rob will have been the other end of the scale.
At least you can concentrate on the league now!!!

User avatar
robsraiders
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by robsraiders » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:58 pm

Yes I know you should never give up but at HT thought game was over, but we believed, and now play Salford so hope we can win again COYF

Post Reply