Cricket - I've got a semi to look forward to.....

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

comeondarlo
Team Supported: Darlington

Cricket - I've got a semi to look forward to.....

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:13 am

I won't grace the other cricket thread any more, this thread is for adults only!

It looks like we'll be playing New Zealand in Delhi (again, again).
I'm starting to fancy us now, we've had a bit of luck but all potential winners need some luck.

I can see us playing the West Indies in the final, we've built a very good young team which can adapt to different situations.

Tough watching the games tbh but we've got a chance!

Darlo_Pete

Re: Cricket - I've got a semi to look forward to.....

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:56 pm

if Gayle stays in for any length of time, then he will win any match almost single handedly. Unbeaten New Zealand will start as favourites, but England will still have a good chance of progressing.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:44 am

comeondarlo wrote:I won't grace the other cricket thread any more, this thread is for adults only!

I'm starting to fancy us now, we've had a bit of luck but all potential winners need some luck.

I can see us playing the West Indies in the final, we've built a very good young team which can adapt to different situations.

We've undoubtedly got a chance, although we'll have to improve to get past New Zealand.

Both our batting and bowling have been vulnerable at points this competition.

But what we do have are matchwinners - the likes of Root, Stokes, Buttler - who can change the course of game.

It's good to see England regularly being competitive with the best in the world.

But it has taken an Aussie to bring about the change.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:28 am

Darlogramps wrote:
comeondarlo wrote:I won't grace the other cricket thread any more, this thread is for adults only!

We've undoubtedly got a chance, although we'll have to improve to get past New Zealand.

Both our batting and bowling have been vulnerable at points this competition.

But what we do have are matchwinners - the likes of Root, Stokes, Buttler - who can change the course of game.

It's good to see England regularly being competitive with the best in the world.

But it has taken an Aussie to bring about the change.
Very true Gramps, absolutely no doubt Bayliss has made a difference. It's actually made a difference in other sports too (notably England Rugby Union).
I'd add Roy to your list, if he gets going there's not many better.

I was supporting the Aussies yesterday, an improving India could prove a stumbling block should we make the final. The West Indies are very hit and miss and should we play them in the final we'll have a chance!

New Zealand first though, it'll be a close game, we may have the slight advantage cos we're playing at Dehli again.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:32 pm

I think there is no problem with our batting, but our bowling is pretty average.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:30 pm

comeondarlo wrote: Very true Gramps, absolutely no doubt Bayliss has made a difference. It's actually made a difference in other sports too (notably England Rugby Union).
I'd add Roy to your list, if he gets going there's not many better.

I was supporting the Aussies yesterday, an improving India could prove a stumbling block should we make the final. The West Indies are very hit and miss and should we play them in the final we'll have a chance!

New Zealand first though, it'll be a close game, we may have the slight advantage cos we're playing at Dehli again.
I don't read to much into that COD - New Zealand have a very good side and I think would cope whichever ground it was on. Logic would dictate we have an advantage, but when have England ever followed logic!

But we did beat them in both forms of ODI in their last tour, so we're capable of doing it. Just hope we don't struggle psychologically with it being a knockout game.

I do honestly think our team, on their day, can beat anyone at T20. We would have beaten the Windies had it not been for a stupendous Chris Gayle innings (although our bowling that game was quite shoddy admittedly).

As you say, it'll be a close game.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:48 pm

Well we're into the final, hope it's against the Windies. I don't think we can beat India tbh.

Roy man of the match, I'd have give it to Chris Jordan personally. The bowlers won that semi for us IMO.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:35 pm

Makes a change as it's been the batsmen that have been carrying England up to now. The West Indies would be the less hard opposition, but that's if Chris Gayle isn't on song. If he is then it will be hard for us to prevail.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:30 am

comeondarlo wrote:Well we're into the final, hope it's against the Windies. I don't think we can beat India tbh.

Roy man of the match, I'd have give it to Chris Jordan personally. The bowlers won that semi for us IMO.
You got your wish COD - it's the Windies. What was impressive about their win v India was it proved they're not a one man team.

Gayle's undoubtedly their star player, but IF we were to get him out early, they've still got a number of batsman who can do serious damage.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:09 pm

Bad toss to lose!

Advantage The Windies!

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:13 pm

Well I'm gutted!

God know what Ben Stokes must feel.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:21 pm

That's totally crushing. 99 times out of 100 Stokes would bowl that out. The balls he bowled weren't great, but Brathwaite was unreal.

Still England fared better than expected. Reaching the final is ahead of expectations.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Darlogramps wrote:That's totally crushing. 99 times out of 100 Stokes would bowl that out. The balls he bowled weren't great, but Brathwaite was unreal.

Still England fared better than expected. Reaching the final is ahead of expectations.
Agreed but 19 wanted off the last over............gutting!

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Darlogramps wrote:That's totally crushing. 99 times out of 100 Stokes would bowl that out. The balls he bowled weren't great, but Brathwaite was unreal.

grytters

Post by grytters » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:36 pm

comeondarlo wrote:

Me? I'd've put Root on for that last over.

But it was almost like Stokes was blaming himself at the end there.

He was let down (if anybody let anyone down anywhere) by the batting.

And that's exposed as a nonsense when you look at how well the Windies did at the bay on a very awkward wicket.
Bring Back the Quarters

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:09 pm

Gutting way to lose - at the end of the 19th was the first time I thought we were ahead of the game. Unfortunately that's the way T20 goes - all Brathwaite had to do was pick out a fielder one of the first 2 balls and we could well have won the game.

An outstanding effort to reach the final. Our white ball team is really progressing well. The Windies are a team of experienced T20 players, who play in the franchise leagues around the world. We had one player with that level of experience, and he is very out of form.

The whole squad, maybe with the exception of Plunkett (or perhaps maybe not!), will be around in 4 years time for the next one. Furthermore, the next 2 50 over tournaments are in England - I'd go as far as to say we should win one of those. That's how much potential this team has got, and they've progressed massively in this tournament. And that's not to mention any younger players who could come through, and the return of Finn.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:20 pm

al_quaker wrote:Gutting way to lose - at the end of the 19th was the first time I thought we were ahead of the game. Unfortunately that's the way T20 goes - all Brathwaite had to do was pick out a fielder one of the first 2 balls and we could well have won the game.

An outstanding effort to reach the final. Our white ball team is really progressing well. The Windies are a team of experienced T20 players, who play in the franchise leagues around the world. We had one player with that level of experience, and he is very out of form.

The whole squad, maybe with the exception of Plunkett (or perhaps maybe not!), will be around in 4 years time for the next one. Furthermore, the next 2 50 over tournaments are in England - I'd go as far as to say we should win one of those. That's how much potential this team has got, and they've progressed massively in this tournament. And that's not to mention any younger players who could come through, and the return of Finn.
Very well put.

I predict a Stuart Pearce moment in the future from Ben Stokes. England will learn from today and come back stronger.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:25 pm

grytters wrote:
comeondarlo wrote:

Me? I'd've put Root on for that last over.

But it was almost like Stokes was blaming himself at the end there.

He was let down (if anybody let anyone down anywhere) by the batting.

And that's exposed as a nonsense when you look at how well the Windies did at the bay on a very awkward wicket.
Tbf I'm not sure Morgan could make the Root decision, it was brave enough giving him the first over.
What he could have done was given Willy the last over and bowled Stokes the 3rd last over. All that said though, Jordan and Stokes won us the semi IMO; so why change a winning formula.

THE PRINCE OF WALES

Post by THE PRINCE OF WALES » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:02 pm

we did well to get to the final,lets build on this for our domestic 20/20.been impressed with morgan with his captaincy.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:00 am

THE PRINCE OF WALES wrote:we did well to get to the final,lets build on this for our domestic 20/20.been impressed with morgan with his captaincy.
The whole England set up seems very likable at the moment, which is great. Credit goes to Morgan who has captained the team very well, but he does need some runs soon though. I'm not suggesting I'd be anywhere near to dropping him, but there are a number of very good players waiting in the wings - in particular Vince (although whether there is room for him and Root in the middle order in T20s is a question), and if he has a poor summer for England then questions will possibly start to be asked.

On the topic of Joe Root - if he carries on the way he is will go down as England's greatest ever batsman. He just scores runs in basically every situation. The only slight blot on his record is the low 50 to 100 conversion rate in tests, but I'm sure that will come. It's easy to forget he's only just turned 25. Phenomenal.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:47 am

Morgan has to be dropped, he has lost the ability to bat !

If the Samuels nick carries to Butler off Plunkett its game over insert coin.

Gutted for Stokesy
Think before posting

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:49 pm

Absolutely don't agree Morgan has to be dropped. When in form he's superb, and players with that talent tend to find themselves back in form eventually. Cook was afforded time - I see no reason why Morgan won't be given the same opportunity. Linked in with this, I would want to keep the captaincy away from Root for as long as possible.

And yes, if Samuels had gone then, we would have won. Small margins eh!

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:25 pm

Morgans International T20 scores since 2015

45*
38*

Leaving out the likes of James Taylor, or James Vincent for Morgan is a mistake in my opinion.
Think before posting

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:15 pm

You're being a bit simplistic Bushead and I rather think you're scapegoating after a defeat.

Morgan brings more to the team than just batting. He also brings leadership, which given our team is fairly young, is invaluable.

He made some cracking decisions as captain in this tournament and does have some explosive batting ability.

Dropping him now would be disruptive to a young inexperienced team.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:34 pm

BUSHEAD wrote:Morgans International T20 scores since 2015

45*
38*

Leaving out the likes of James Taylor, or James Vincent for Morgan is a mistake in my opinion.
Thats still an average of about 25 - decent in T20s if not spectacular. And as mentioned above he adds more than just batting too.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:11 am

In my opinion, we'd be standing still sticking with Morgan, rather than moving forward.
We were lucky for use of a better word in the tournament.

Knocking off 229 vs South Africa is a 1 in 10 , Afghanistan could have quite easily turned us over. I wouldn't say we were convincing against Sri Lanka either.

The only game we proper dominated was vs New Zealand , who got their tactics wrong by not starting with slow bowlers against us.

We have some great talent coming through, and we have a coach who looks promote a ' positive brand of cricket'.

Lets see how Morgan goes in this years IPL, I'd wager he wont set the tournament alight.
Think before posting

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:21 am

If Morgan has a poor IPL, and a poor summer for England this year then yes, questions should start to be asked. But you're saying we should drop one of the key reasons why we've gone from laughing stock to world runners up in the space of 12 months (and his captaincy has been very important in the way we've transformed our white ball game), just because he had a poor tournament with the bat. In my opinion, that's ridiculous at this stage.

Interestingly - he averaged exactly the same as Hales in the world cup. Should Hales be dropped? Morgan contributed more to our run to the final than he did. The answer is - of course not. Hales has shown himself to be a class act in the past, he just had a poor tournament. Exactly the same as Morgan.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:39 am

al_quaker wrote:If Morgan has a poor IPL, and a poor summer for England this year then yes, questions should start to be asked. But you're saying we should drop one of the key reasons why we've gone from laughing stock to world runners up in the space of 12 months (and his captaincy has been very important in the way we've transformed our white ball game), just because he had a poor tournament with the bat. In my opinion, that's ridiculous at this stage.

Interestingly - he averaged exactly the same as Hales in the world cup. Should Hales be dropped? Morgan contributed more to our run to the final than he did. The answer is - of course not. Hales has shown himself to be a class act in the past, he just had a poor tournament. Exactly the same as Morgan.

My thoughts on Alex Hales are on another thread.

And i seriously hope Hales is no where near the side !
Granted that was the test side, but think you can tell i'm not a fan
Think before posting

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:30 pm

While I have doubts about Hales in tests, you surely cannot deny he's a class act in T20s

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:12 am

BUSHEAD wrote:

Gutted for James Taylor ! He was a serious talent .

Hope the PCA/ECB look after him .
Think before posting