Darlo's High Street

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13361
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:13 am

I would imagine the majority of the jobs will be allocated to people relocating from London, but there would be a sizable minority of jobs available to people already living in this area. But this will have a very positive effect on Darlington and it can only be good for the town & ultimately the football club.

lo36789
Posts: 9515
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:39 am

So no idea then. Don't get me wrong there will be positives either way.

Either they will be entry level roles in which case there will be more new job opportunities locally or there will be senior roles in which case there will be the multiplier effect benefits.

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

eek
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by eek » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:57 am

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:39 am
So no idea then. Don't get me wrong there will be positives either way.

Either they will be entry level roles in which case there will be more new job opportunities locally or there will be senior roles in which case there will be the multiplier effect benefits.

Be interesting to see how it plays out.
There will be entry level roles because it may encourage a set of people who take one look at London housing costs and go - nope

As for higher level jobs - the Chancellor has stated he will be sat in Darlington at least 2 days a week which means some very senior people will need to be here as well. And they may as well be here full time.

lo36789
Posts: 9515
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:54 pm

eek wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:57 am
As for higher level jobs - the Chancellor has stated he will be sat in Darlington at least 2 days a week which means some very senior people will need to be here as well. And they may as well be here full time.
That is positive. If he's based here twice a week it does suggest some direct reports - that should be a positive reversal of brain drain you would hope.

Agree on the entry level the reality is those people wouldn't relocate. The chances are they are still living at home etc. So they should create vacancies in / around Darlington.

I just don't really know what the mix is. His location 40% of the time is one of the more clear indicators though that it could be a good mix and not just shipping out entry level stuff to cheaper offices.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5108
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:48 pm

eek wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:57 am
lo36789 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:39 am
So no idea then. Don't get me wrong there will be positives either way.

Either they will be entry level roles in which case there will be more new job opportunities locally or there will be senior roles in which case there will be the multiplier effect benefits.

Be interesting to see how it plays out.
There will be entry level roles because it may encourage a set of people who take one look at London housing costs and go - nope

As for higher level jobs - the Chancellor has stated he will be sat in Darlington at least 2 days a week which means some very senior people will need to be here as well. And they may as well be here full time.
The way things are going he will be Prime Minister before Darlo Treasury opens up and someone else will have to slum it up north.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

eek
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by eek » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:03 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:48 pm
eek wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:57 am
lo36789 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:39 am
So no idea then. Don't get me wrong there will be positives either way.

Either they will be entry level roles in which case there will be more new job opportunities locally or there will be senior roles in which case there will be the multiplier effect benefits.

Be interesting to see how it plays out.
There will be entry level roles because it may encourage a set of people who take one look at London housing costs and go - nope

As for higher level jobs - the Chancellor has stated he will be sat in Darlington at least 2 days a week which means some very senior people will need to be here as well. And they may as well be here full time.
The way things are going he will be Prime Minister before Darlo Treasury opens up and someone else will have to slum it up north.
I was going to suggest that they buy houndgate house as a suitable short stay place

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5108
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:58 pm

The Northern Echo building? It certainly looks the part.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

eek
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by eek » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:54 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:58 pm
The Northern Echo building? It certainly looks the part.
Far to small - the building they need is roughly 3 times the size of the new Feethams office block.

Old Git
Posts: 1259
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by Old Git » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:34 am

Northgate House on the ring road is desperately in need of refurbishment and looks big enough to accommodate a large workforce near the town centre but I doubt will ever be used for offices again. Looks ripe for redevelopment for apartments.

eek
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by eek » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:22 am

Old Git wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:34 am
Northgate House on the ring road is desperately in need of refurbishment and looks big enough to accommodate a large workforce near the town centre but I doubt will ever be used for offices again. Looks ripe for redevelopment for apartments.
That would have been one of my preferred options - it's now been empty 23 years so really would need to be knocked down and rebuilt.

lo36789
Posts: 9515
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:08 am

eek wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:54 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:58 pm
The Northern Echo building? It certainly looks the part.
Far to small - the building they need is roughly 3 times the size of the new Feethams office block.
Will it all be office based? I wouldn't assume a 1:1 desk ratio.

We were 2 desks:3 people 5 years ago. 1 desk:2 people last January...post some March office closures I believe we are now 1 desk:3 people.

Effectively 2 days office : 3 days at home + hot desk approach.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13361
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:02 pm

eek wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:22 am
Old Git wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:34 am
Northgate House on the ring road is desperately in need of refurbishment and looks big enough to accommodate a large workforce near the town centre but I doubt will ever be used for offices again. Looks ripe for redevelopment for apartments.
That would have been one of my preferred options - it's now been empty 23 years so really would need to be knocked down and rebuilt.
There was talk of it being turned into a Hilton hotel, but clearly Covid 19, will have put an end to any such enterprise.

eek
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by eek » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:42 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:02 pm
eek wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:22 am
Old Git wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:34 am
Northgate House on the ring road is desperately in need of refurbishment and looks big enough to accommodate a large workforce near the town centre but I doubt will ever be used for offices again. Looks ripe for redevelopment for apartments.
That would have been one of my preferred options - it's now been empty 23 years so really would need to be knocked down and rebuilt.
There was talk of it being turned into a Hilton hotel, but clearly Covid 19, will have put an end to any such enterprise.
Given the complete lack of work on that project since 2016 when permission was granted I think the plan is dead.

Old Git
Posts: 1259
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by Old Git » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:38 am

Project Treasury North could be just the thing to kickstart the local economy and help to reinvigorate the town centre.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13361
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:59 pm

Old Git wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:38 am
Project Treasury North could be just the thing to kickstart the local economy and help to reinvigorate the town centre.
Agreed it can only be positive for everything connected with Darlington. I'm sure the towns & cities that bided for the project are really jealous that we have got the contract.

lo36789
Posts: 9515
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:34 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:59 pm
I'm sure the towns & cities that bided for the project are really jealous that we have got the contract.
You are a strange kind of adult.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 5108
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:16 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:34 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:59 pm
I'm sure the towns & cities that bided for the project are really jealous that we have got the contract.
You are a strange kind of adult.
Who can't spell ;)
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13361
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo's High Street

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:28 pm

Just read on the BBC website that another Ministry is leaving London to set up in little old Darlo. The Ministry for International Trade is also setting up in Darlington, bringing 500 jobs. This could really help Darlington to become a boom town & of course it must be a shot in the arm for our High Street.

Post Reply