Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus.

Post by Old Git » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:49 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:13 pm
Almost everybody I've talked too says that Boris & the Conservatives have done a fantastic job so far, under very difficult circumstances.
[/
It is far to soon to make any judgment on how well we are doing to fight Coronavirus. It really is ridiculous to try to make some sort of party political point about it. Whoever was in Government would be faced with a massive problem and would need the support and co operation of the whole population.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:33 pm

Will people be saying this when the crisis is over and the Chancellor starts winding down these schemes?

People tend to be quite happy with limitless money is being showered on them (as the current situation necessitates).

But this is nothing more than a short-term measure and when the Government starts withdrawing these schemes, that’s when people will start complaining, and approval rates will start dropping.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:06 am

I noticed an interesting idea on the Poolie Bunker forum.

Someone on there has started a Coronavirus Blacklist. This is to highlight firms and individuals who either seek to make a ruthless profit from this awful situation or firms who treat their employees in a despicable manner.

My nomination here would be for Britannia Hotels. Laying off without notice about 30 of their hotel workers up in Aviemore and then immediately taking away their staff accommodation - making them instantly homeless. This hotel was previously a Hilton Hotel and I have been up there over 20 times over the years, however never again whilst Britannia Hotels continues to own it.

This story at present is all over the news.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:33 am

Old Git wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:49 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:13 pm
Almost everybody I've talked too says that Boris & the Conservatives have done a fantastic job so far, under very difficult circumstances.
[/
It is far to soon to make any judgment on how well we are doing to fight Coronavirus. It really is ridiculous to try to make some sort of party political point about it. Whoever was in Government would be faced with a massive problem and would need the support and co operation of the whole population.

I think Pete was thinking on the same lines as me in that it was the package of help put forward yesterday.
In other area's of leadership they have been quite slow to lead

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:46 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:33 pm
Will people be saying this when the crisis is over and the Chancellor starts winding down these schemes?

People tend to be quite happy with limitless money is being showered on them (as the current situation necessitates).

But this is nothing more than a short-term measure and when the Government starts withdrawing these schemes, that’s when people will start complaining, and approval rates will start dropping.
Gramps, I wonder if we will ever agree about anything other than our dislike of each other.

Of course the measures the government have put in place will eventually have to come to an end, but measures such as you can not be evicted for non payment of rent or mortgage for the next 3 months is a massive worry off so many people's minds at a time when we have enough to worry about.

That businesses can now get a covering loan, interest free means that they have time and space to discuss matters with staff and get in place agreements such as no asking for an increase of wage until the loans are repaid. Also the fact these loans can start to be paid within days rather than the usual 2-3 months makes a hell of a difference to many companies chances of survival.

These measures may hopefully stop what we have seen at the likes of Barnet, Hearts, and Sion in the last couple of days. Surely that has to be for the good?

1 hopes that the government can in fact start to withdraw the support after the initial 3 months, but have a feeling it may stretch to 6 before we see a significant downturn to the problems.

As an aside, Gary Neville took a lot of flack as "Red Nev" during his playing days. I listened to him with Jamie Carragher on the Debate on Thursday night. If you have not seen it I think you, (or anyone else come to that), may find what he says on the matter very interesting

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:01 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:46 am
Darlogramps wrote:

Gramps, I wonder if we will ever agree about anything other than our dislike of each other.

Of course the measures the government have put in place will eventually have to come to an end, but measures such as you can not be evicted for non payment of rent or mortgage for the next 3 months is a massive worry off so many people's minds at a time when we have enough to worry about.

That businesses can now get a covering loan, interest free means that they have time and space to discuss matters with staff and get in place agreements such as no asking for an increase of wage until the loans are repaid. Also the fact these loans can start to be paid within days rather than the usual 2-3 months makes a hell of a difference to many companies chances of survival.

These measures may hopefully stop what we have seen at the likes of Barnet, Hearts, and Sion in the last couple of days. Surely that has to be for the good?

1 hopes that the government can in fact start to withdraw the support after the initial 3 months, but have a feeling it may stretch to 6 before we see a significant downturn to the problems.

As an aside, Gary Neville took a lot of flack as "Red Nev" during his playing days. I listened to him with Jamie Carragher on the Debate on Thursday night. If you have not seen it I think you, (or anyone else come to that), may find what he says on the matter very interesting
Ted, I think you might have misunderstood what I'm saying. I'm not really commenting on whether the package is good or bad. It was obviously essential and these measures are a good thing at this time.

My point was more in response to Darlo_Pete saying the Government are popular in their handling of this. They may well be, but at some stage this package of measures will be wound down, whether in three months, six months or a year. When that happens and the Government aren't offering this large amount of money, their popularity will decrease. I think that's almost inevitable.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:27 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:01 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:46 am
Darlogramps wrote:

Ted, I think you might have misunderstood what I'm saying. I'm not really commenting on whether the package is good or bad. It was obviously essential and these measures are a good thing at this time.

My point was more in response to Darlo_Pete saying the Government are popular in their handling of this. They may well be, but at some stage this package of measures will be wound down, whether in three months, six months or a year. When that happens and the Government aren't offering this large amount of money, their popularity will decrease. I think that's almost inevitable.
I agree with that, it is inevitable & the consequences of this virus will be with us for decades to come. People will probably talk about pre-virus being the good days & post-virus being the start of the bad days.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:17 pm

This present Government may well be doing the best they can right now but ten years ago, before the cuts started there were a lot more police officers, nurses and public servants etc - all the people we are now going to rely heavily on. I always thought that cuts and savings should have been made elsewhere, and if they had of been we would right now be in a better position to fight this virus.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:44 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:17 pm
This present Government may well be doing the best they can right now but ten years ago, before the cuts started there were a lot more police officers, nurses and public servants etc - all the people we are now going to rely heavily on. I always thought that cuts and savings should have been made elsewhere, and if they had of been we would right now be in a better position to fight this virus.
I would agree with that. With a sister and brother in law who were doctors, step father a paramedic, sister who is an admin at James Cook and a mother who ran a centre for Downs sufferers I am well versed and on the side of such hard working and under rewarded people. I do think however it is way out of order if anyone tries in any way to score political points at the moment.
I have never believed in party politics at local level. All,to my way of thinking, should be independent. The better to serve by conscience instead of toeing the line. At this time, and when dealing with this problem, even to the HoP they should drop the politicking. Thank God 1 party has a big enough majority at this time that no mischief can stop them in doing what they think correct.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:52 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:17 pm
I would agree with that. With a sister and brother in law who were doctors, step father a paramedic, sister who is an admin at James Cook and a mother who ran a centre for Downs sufferers I am well versed and on the side of such hard working and under rewarded people. I do think however it is way out of order if anyone tries in any way to score political points at the moment.
I have never believed in party politics at local level. All,to my way of thinking, should be independent. The better to serve by conscience instead of toeing the line. At this time, and when dealing with this problem, even to the HoP they should drop the politicking. Thank God 1 party has a big enough majority at this time that no mischief can stop them in doing what they think correct.
“Herd immunity, protect the economy and if that means some pensioners die, too bad” - Cummings.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202003 ... 41a997.jpg[/IMG]
You might want to rethink that “big enough majority” theory. One man’s politicking is another’s holding the government to account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:22 pm

No way am I getting into a political argument about this virus. I simply meant that some things,(WW2 being the perfect example), should be above anyone trying to score party points.
Just think, if this had happened pre brexit date and the election people like Corbyn could be causing all sorts of problems and delaying the aid being offered. The majority the Tories have make that impossible.
Next occasion I may not be so happy, but on this I am.

Edited having read your link.

When I was a kid if anyone caught German measles, mumps etc we were all crowded into a room to "get it over and done with", so I get the idea of the herd immunity.
The funny thing is that for the last 3 years I had a DNR certificate because of the lack of quality of my life. Finally a shoulder operation in January meant I was pain free for the first time in about 7 years and so when it was due for renewal last month I stopped it.
I am in the most at risk group so his comment are aimed direct at me in a way. I still think he is entitled to his opinion. Wonder if he would change it if in the group himself !!!!

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:04 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:No way am I getting into a political argument about this virus. I simply meant that some things,(WW2 being the perfect example), should be above anyone trying to score party points.
Just think, if this had happened pre brexit date and the election people like Corbyn could be causing all sorts of problems and delaying the aid being offered. The majority the Tories have make that impossible.
Next occasion I may not be so happy, but on this I am.

Edited having read your link.

When I was a kid if anyone caught German measles, mumps etc we were all crowded into a room to "get it over and done with", so I get the idea of the herd immunity.
The funny thing is that for the last 3 years I had a DNR certificate because of the lack of quality of my life. Finally a shoulder operation in January meant I was pain free for the first time in about 7 years and so when it was due for renewal last month I stopped it.
I am in the most at risk group so his comment are aimed direct at me in a way. I still think he is entitled to his opinion. Wonder if he would change it if in the group himself !!!!
It’s not a political (ie, partisan) argument from me on the politicking v scrutiny / holding to account. It’s what every party and individual for that matter should do. We all know that governments do things for the party as well as the country, in this instance it’s critically important that we go down the right road which isn’t necessarily the one the party with a large majority set out initially.
Indeed, it’s been suggested by many eminent clinicians that the Herd Immunity method has put us back weeks and on-track for Italy-style numbers of deaths (were currently on the same numbers 14 days in arrears). It’s why we should always question government and, when appropriate, oppose them or criticise them.
The Herd Immunity theory is not comparable to childhood diseases. Covid-19 is highly infectious (x10 more than colds and flu) and in the worst cases leads to death from severe pneumonia and breathing difficulties. Who knows what numbers we’re looking at over the next few months
And the Herd Immunity method also requires a successful vaccine alongside it otherwise the virus just sweeps through the population unchecked.
PS - The opposition parties are working with the government over this crisis, Corbyn et al would hardly put obstacles in the way of aid, relief, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:10 am

I see Darlington has the joint 3rd lowest outbreaks of Coronavirus amongst the Local Authorities in England, with only Blackburn & Darwen & Hull with fewer cases.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:56 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:10 am
I see Darlington has the joint 3rd lowest outbreaks of Coronavirus amongst the Local Authorities in England, with only Blackburn & Darwen & Hull with fewer cases.
Those figures mean nothing if you have no information on how many tests are being conducted. :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:38 am

I agree it doesn't reflect how many cases are in Darlington, but I'd much rather have figures of 3 rather than Hampshire that has over 200 confirmed virus cases.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:58 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Bluntly, and ashamed to say, I am amazed Hull is relatively low.
I went onto a local site on Monday and posted a scathing comment along with a photo of the crowds at Princess Quay on Sunday waiting for the Supermarkets to open. An inside mall probably 30 yards wide by about 100 long and they must have been over 1000 people in the photo. Thankfully, of my friends and family that saw my comment, non were there.
Watching TV news it is hard to credit the stupidity of people. 1 park in London with an outside gym cramed to the rafters while others played a full contact football match, and all a woman can say is "Well the government said we should exercise outdoors". She was not even blond !!!!

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:30 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:58 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
I went onto a local site on Monday and posted a scathing comment along with a photo of the crowds at Princess Quay on Sunday waiting for the Supermarkets to open. An inside mall probably 30 yards wide by about 100 long and they must have been over 1000 people in the photo. Thankfully, of my friends and family that saw my comment, non were there.
Watching TV news it is hard to credit the stupidity of people. 1 park in London with an outside gym cramed to the rafters while others played a full contact football match, and all a woman can say is "Well the government said we should exercise outdoors". She was not even blond !!!!
The trouble is that it's not just the stupid that will be affected / infected. :roll:

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:48 pm

joejaques wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:30 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:58 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
The trouble is that it's not just the stupid that will be affected / infected. :roll:
Exactly the innocent suffer for the guilty.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 am

Just been announced that Boris has git the dreaded lurgi. Don't know if I should laugh or cry. :roll:

Darlogramps

Coronavirus.

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:58 am

joejaques wrote:Just been announced that Boris has git the dreaded lurgi. Don't know if I should laugh or cry. :roll:
Laughing at someone having a virus which is killing thousands would say more about you than anything else.

Disagree with someone’s politics all you want, but let’s retain some semblance of humanity please.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:08 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:58 am
joejaques wrote:Just been announced that Boris has git the dreaded lurgi. Don't know if I should laugh or cry. :roll:
Laughing at someone having a virus which is killing thousands would say more about you than anything else.

Disagree with someone’s politics all you want, but let’s retain some semblance of humanity please.
There is a certain irony there though. All the years he's spent dreaming of being "King of the World", and when he gets there he walks into a firestorm. Be careful what you wish for. :roll:

Darlogramps

Coronavirus.

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:34 pm

What are you saying? That Boris thought being Prime Minister and dealing with global issues would be straightforward?

Stop talking rot and put your political views aside.

I don’t agree with Angela Rayner or Kate Osborne. Doesn’t mean I don’t have sympathy for them being ill.

Let’s be grown up about it rather than revelling in someone contracting a potentially life-threatening illness.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:55 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:34 pm
What are you saying? That Boris thought being Prime Minister and dealing with global issues would be straightforward?

I don’t agree with Angela Rayner or Kate Osborne. Doesn’t mean I don’t have sympathy for them being ill.

Let’s be grown up about it rather than revelling in someone contracting a potentially life-threatening illness.
Nothing to do with political views, I voted tory at the election. Maybe I just have a cynical view on the world (check the rolling eyes at the end of my every post). At my age, and as a Darlo fan for 50+ years, I reckon I am entitled to a healthy dose of world weary cynicism. :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:07 pm

11 cases have been declared in the Darlington area, up from 5 yesterday. I can't see this coming to an end for months. Dark days.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:06 am

joejaques wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Nothing to do with political views, I voted tory at the election. Maybe I just have a cynical view on the world (check the rolling eyes at the end of my every post). At my age, and as a Darlo fan for 50+ years, I reckon I am entitled to a healthy dose of world weary cynicism. :roll:
Don’t really know what cynicism or supporting Darlington for 50 years has to do with anything. There’s not really anything to be cynical about.

Whether you like Boris Johnson or not, on a human level I find it pretty distasteful anyone would suggest laughing at him is an appropriate response.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:03 am

Any cynicism should perhaps be directed at the fat cat bosses of our building societies/banks and Uber rich celebrities who will no doubt be hiding in their mansions, letting their under paid butlers and delivery drivers carry the strain.

Our prime minister has been burning the candle at both ends trying his best, I feel this development is not surprising.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:04 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:06 am
joejaques wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Don’t really know what cynicism or supporting Darlington for 50 years has to do with anything. There’s not really anything to be cynical about.

Whether you like Boris Johnson or not, on a human level I find it pretty distasteful anyone would suggest laughing at him is an appropriate response.
I didn't suggest it was an appropriate response, just my personal response, like it or lump it.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:32 am

joejaques wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:06 am
joejaques wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I didn't suggest it was an appropriate response, just my personal response, like it or lump it.
Yep, so you thought it was an appropriate response for yourself to laugh at and mock someone with an illness. Glad you’ve confirmed that.

And rather than admit you made a mistake, you’re actually doubling down, presumably as you think it helps save face. In fact, it just makes you look more ridiculous.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:49 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:58 am

Oh get off your bloody high horse man. Must you argue with everyone over every bloody subject you don't agree with.
I would lay odds many people gave a little chartle when they heard the news, and yes I was 1. That does not mean I wish him ill or I differ in politics, simply that I found it a tad ironic.
I would hope every right minded person would be upset at the near 300 deaths in the UK yesterday and the over 800 in Spain, but where possible we need to find something to smile at in life. The fact your oh so righteous sense of humor differs from Joe's is probably to his benefit.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:07 pm

The numbers in Darlington are beginning to edge up worringly, now 14 confirmed cases is Darlington.