Royal Wedding.....''Great''

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Big Tim
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Big Tim » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:26 pm

Congrats to them but this subjects is getting on my nerves already. Its going to be on the front page of every paper and on tv 24/7 for the rest of the week....''Great'' :roll:

ShrewsX

Re: Royal Wedding.....''Great''

Post by ShrewsX » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:45 pm

Yup... two rich kids getting married. big deal. Oh sorry, I keep forgetting that Kate is 'Middle Class'.

I dont have anything against the royals, I actually like the queen, but the media reaction is pathetic. BBC news 24 didnt show anything else yesterday. No weather, no sport... it was all interviews and 'headlines' about the happy couple. They interviewed everyone from Paul Burrell (surprise surprise) to The dean of Manchester University, to Gillian age 29. All who said exactly the same thing.

I couldnt care less, and the more it goes on, the more I resent the royals. Not to mention the inevitable Diana articles that will appear.

I'm no revolutionary, but when the country is in the state it is in, and we are at war, and theres protests and riots, I find it very very hard to 'celebrate' this

By the way... who pays for the wedding celebrations?
Season 2009/10 - They think its all over.... It is now. Darlo FC, Blue Square Premier 2010/11

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:12 pm

ShrewsX wrote:Yup... two rich kids getting married. big deal. Oh sorry, I keep forgetting that Kate is 'Middle Class'.

I dont have anything against the royals, I actually like the queen, but the media reaction is pathetic. BBC news 24 didnt show anything else yesterday. No weather, no sport... it was all interviews and 'headlines' about the happy couple. They interviewed everyone from Paul Burrell (surprise surprise) to The dean of Manchester University, to Gillian age 29. All who said exactly the same thing.

I couldnt care less, and the more it goes on, the more I resent the royals. Not to mention the inevitable Diana articles that will appear.

I'm no revolutionary, but when the country is in the state it is in, and we are at war, and theres protests and riots, I find it very very hard to 'celebrate' this

By the way... who pays for the wedding celebrations?
Another good point, country in billions of pound of debt, massive cuts and now we (the taxpayer) will have to pay for a wedding, not just a normal wedding a royal one which will most probably cost millions.

ShrewsX

Post by ShrewsX » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:33 pm

I've never considered myself a leftie, but at a time when health services are being cut, jobs are being lost and we are fighting a war... Not a Single penny of taxpayers money should be spent on this event. The royal family are one of the richest institutions in the world, and Kates family arent short of a few bob either, so I see no reason why we should foot ANY of the bill.

Or are we all going to be invited...
Season 2009/10 - They think its all over.... It is now. Darlo FC, Blue Square Premier 2010/11

jjmick

Post by jjmick » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:40 pm

It's all bollox, there's people dying in afghanistan and whatnot like that all the time and when two snobs get hitched the whole frigging country stops :x
Darlo till I die!!

divas

Post by divas » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:47 pm

the whole country has hardly stopped has it! and what the fuck has it got to do with afghanistan, to be honest, its nice to see something apart from abject misery, murder, rape etc etc on the tv for once.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm a bit torn on this. It's something which brings (a lot of) the country together, and is something positive on TV, in the news etc. However, there's something not right about spending tax payers money (if that is the case) on this when money is very very tight.

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:26 pm

al_quaker wrote:I'm a bit torn on this. It's something which brings (a lot of) the country together, and is something positive on TV, in the news etc. However, there's something not right about spending tax payers money (if that is the case) on this when money is very very tight.
Understood, but when its on tv 24/7 and on the front pages of every newspaper all week, it just takes the p#ss.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Not particularly arsed either way to be honest. Like Divas said its nice to see something other than debt, rape, murder and David Cameron droning on about cuts on the box but it went a bit overboard. As for the money aspect I ain't bothered either. The Royals cost bugger all per head, bring a bit of tourist trade into the country and besides the wedding will require lots of goods, services and waiting staff etc etc who will all need paying so it creates some good for some.

Obviously if I don't get an invite then I may well revise my statement nearer the time.

Duffelcoatman

Post by Duffelcoatman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:57 pm

If we get a bank holiday out of it then good times.
Nice to have a bit of good news for a change though, good luck to em
@hobartpaving76 on twitter

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:25 pm

No way in a million years of a Bank Holiday - its not classed as a state wedding. I bet its something relatively small at Westminster Abbey or something like that.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:06 am

Won't if be on a Saturday anyway, rendering a bank holiday pointless to most.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:38 pm

We'd all give her one though, right?

Obviously not at the same time, you can all wait til I've been!
Mullet69uk on Twitter

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:40 pm

" She's just an ordinary girl from a mining background " or something like that was said on TV the other night by one of her friends. I doubt very much she's ever been near a mine in her life. The media, as always have gone into meltdown.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:02 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:" She's just an ordinary girl from a mining background " or something like that was said on TV the other night by one of her friends. I doubt very much she's ever been near a mine in her life. The media, as always have gone into meltdown.
According to the Echo her Great Grandfather came from a Durham mining village (and got out as soon as he could no doubt) but her parents are millionaires and sent her to a private girls school* and such, so you're right, she's hardly "an ordinary girl from a mining background". That said, I've nothing against them and wish then well in their marriage. Hopefully, given the economic climate, the Queen will sell a painting or something, to finance it.

*to clarify, I have nothing against those who can afford it giving their kids the best, I'd do the same given the chance.

BeefSpud

Post by BeefSpud » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:59 pm

I'm not sure why there is so much hostility towards the Royal family. The Queen is a fantastic ambassador for this country and is hugely respected all over the world.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:59 am

Christophano wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:" She's just an ordinary girl from a mining background " or something like that was said on TV the other night by one of her friends. I doubt very much she's ever been near a mine in her life. The media, as always have gone into meltdown.
According to the Echo her Great Grandfather came from a Durham mining village (and got out as soon as he could no doubt) but her parents are millionaires and sent her to a private girls school* and such, so you're right, she's hardly "an ordinary girl from a mining background". That said, I've nothing against them and wish then well in their marriage. Hopefully, given the economic climate, the Queen will sell a painting or something, to finance it.

*to clarify, I have nothing against those who can afford it giving their kids the best, I'd do the same given the chance.
I wouldn't necessarily say private education is "the best".

And I'm speaking from experience.

Duffelcoatman

Post by Duffelcoatman » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Mullet69 wrote:We'd all give her one though, right?

Obviously not at the same time, you can all wait til I've been!
Wouldn't have long to wait though...
@hobartpaving76 on twitter

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:28 pm

divas wrote:the whole country has hardly stopped has it! and what the f*** has it got to do with afghanistan, to be honest, its nice to see something apart from abject misery, murder, rape etc etc on the tv for once.
Didn't see this earlier.

Very good point Divas.

William and Kate are two royals that have never given the tabloid media reasons to get up in arms and waste pages. They seem to be two genuinely sound people and as our future King it's nice to see something happy in the news for a while.

Plus, countries around the world will pay a lot of money to come to the country on the back of the royals.