EDJOHNS
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: He fought the law, and the law won

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:12 pm

biccynana wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:38 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:49 am
Hopefully the whole thing will be dead and buried along with the euro within 5 years.
Yeah, let's hope so. Over-rated innit, this EU thing.

Seventy years of peace; assisting the extraordinary political, social and economic transformation of 13 former dictatorships, now EU members, since 1980; providing half of our trade; structural funding to areas hit by industrial decline; clean beaches and rivers; cleaner air; lead free petrol; restrictions on landfill dumping; a recycling culture; cheaper mobile charges; cheaper air travel; improved consumer protection and food labelling; a ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives; better product safety; single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance; break up of monopolies; Europe-wide patent and copyright protection; no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market; price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone; freedom to travel, live and work across Europe; funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad; access to European health services; labour protection and enhanced social welfare; smoke-free workplaces; equal pay legislation; holiday entitlement; the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime; strongest wildlife protection in the world; improved animal welfare in food production; EU-funded research and industrial collaboration; EU representation in international forums; bloc EEA negotiation at the WTO; EU diplomatic efforts to uphold the nuclear non-proliferation treaty; European arrest warrant; cross border policing to combat human trafficking, arms and drug smuggling; counter terrorism intelligence; European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa; support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond; investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital.

[Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/ ... er-done-us]
All very well giving us the mantra of the good idea's. Here are just a few that show the failing.

1), Providing half our trade... In fact
We were forced to stop 80% of our trade with the commonwealth because other EU countries could not dip their beaks.

2), better product safety; The standards differ widely within the union

3), labour protection and enhanced social welfare...... Go chat to people in Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal about that 1 !!!!!

4), access to European health services; .... So long as you carry health care insurance. Go break your leg and before you get an xray they want to double check your policy. No cover, no treatment.

5), equal pay legislation; holiday entitlement;.... Nice theory, go ask how many actually get what they are entitled to.

6),the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime; ... Virtually everyone in the holiday industry do 2 full time jobs through the summer because they can't get winter work and the benefits have been so drastically cut...... No benefit to under 21's at all, national benefit more than halved since 2003

7),cross border policing to combat human trafficking. ........ Good God, many in the EU still want Turkey as a member even though the Turkish government actually buy inflatable boats and use them to move on refugees, Mainly aimed at the Greek islands.

8), support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond; Turkey and Libya a couple of weeks ago signed a treaty hijacking swathes of the Med between the 2 countries including a number of Greek islands. To say nothing of the illegal gas drilling they are doing off Cyprus.
Please do let me know what the EU have done about any of this, How about the fact that the Turkish air force randomly on a multi times a day invade Greek airspace and cause deliberate damage to property with sonic booms

How much have you heard about the EU jumping on this ?
https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/News/ ... -agreement
Last edited by EDJOHNS on Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mission Impossible

Post by Mission Impossible » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:39 pm

I fought Delors...but Delors won

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:02 pm

You forgot the Hang gliders. The Turks strap the refugees in and launch them off the hills above Fetiye towards the Greek islands. Apparently there's a chippy in Rhodes they can use as a safe house

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:03 am

OHDFC wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:02 pm
You forgot the Hang gliders. The Turks strap the refugees in and launch them off the hills above Fetiye towards the Greek islands. Apparently there's a chippy in Rhodes they can use as a safe house

Not seen Lesbos in particular in the news the last year and more?

OHDFC

Post by OHDFC » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:39 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
OHDFC wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:02 pm

Not seen Lesbos in particular in the news the last year and more?
The Hang gliders from Fetiye can't reach Lesbos...

Joking aside, your post above turned into a rant against Turkey. I guess we can add them to the list of countries and people you have something against.

However, when I was last on Lesbos - two years ago - I didn't see or experience any anti-Turkish sentiment - in fact the locals were very happy with the Turks since they are the ones spending money on Lesbos.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:59 am

You can't really argue about the gas drilling of Cyprus, nor the breaches of Greece's Air space by the Turkish air force. Nor can anyone really dispute the number of boatloads of people "escaping" from Turkey. I saw a documentary a while ago where 2 brothers from Bodrum openly admitted they charge 5 grand for an inflatable and small motor hardly big enough for the job. They actually own a boatyard. They were so open about it the police must know.

What annoys me is that Erdogan openly refuses to comply with directives that must be put in place to join the EU, but some states still want to allow them in.

I think saying it was a rant is a bit strong, but it certainly makes me happier we are out knowing there are countries that want them in the EU.