Donowa gone

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dfcdfcdfc
Team Supported: Darlington

Donowa gone

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:52 pm

Darlopartisan

Re: Donowa gone

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:57 pm

Hopefully Sousa is the automatic replacement

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:02 pm

Gutted. I hope we got a good sell on clause.

Can’t begrudge him the chance though.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:05 pm

Suspect Solihull are spending their Covid windfall. Shame as I really rated him but agree with everything Alun said. Think he may have seen this coming and so Sousa was already lined up.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:13 pm

Good luck Justin. Should benefit from joining a full time club and getting more coaching. Given how well Harvey has been doing lately at Fleetwood he has every chance of making an impact at NL level. Explains why Sousa has been added to the squad.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:21 pm

With his pace, goals and ability in the air, I think he has the scope to go on to bigger and better things. We've lost a good un but you couldn't stand in the way of his chance of full-time football and a huge wage rise at a club that looks awash with cash. Wonder what the link is as I can't think they have a North-east scouting network.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:22 pm

Best of luck to him, has plenty of attributes that you just can't teach (raw pace and his leap) but will definitely benefit from being full time and having the time to work on the technical side of the game. Really hope he takes the chance with both hands seems like a really nice lad.

Agreed with everything Alun said in his interview about the sale, the fact we've brought in Hudson and seemingly ready to bring in Sousa means we've still got good cover in the wide area's.

Not quite as high a level but certainly another one to add to the list with the likes of Heaton and Saunders who have been sold to clubs at higher levels (and full time football) after performing well for us. Should hopefully keep on building the clubs reputation as offering a route into full time football.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:32 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:21 pm
With his pace, goals and ability in the air, I think he has the scope to go on to bigger and better things. We've lost a good un but you couldn't stand in the way of his chance of full-time football and a huge wage rise at a club that looks awash with cash. Wonder what the link is as I can't think they have a North-east scouting network.
Maybe he created a good impression when we knocked them out of the FA Trophy and they have kept tabs on him.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:34 pm

North East Sports News claiming its a £15k upfront fee with add ons.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:51 pm

Shows again as others have said that we can demonstrate we can develop players so they can go onto better things. Good luck to him and thanks Justin.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:00 pm

Thanks for the memories, shame there weren't more of them. All the best for his future. :roll:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:33 pm

Can’t help thinking that if Luke Charman progress well it won’t be long before clubs from higher up the pyramid come calling. Early days I know but really like what I’ve seen so far. Has two good feet, a bit of pace, strong,decent in the air and an eye for goal. Quite surprised he has dropped to NLN level but I am sure he could go back into the professional game.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:14 pm

Probably the right decision in hindsight. He was 7 months away from leaving for free with no compensation or sell-on clause. It would have been preferable for him to move in January after the run of games we have coming up but you can’t begrudge him for wanting to move now. Things never stay still in football and there was no guarantee that opportunity would have been there for him in January.

Sousa is coming in, which is a direct replacement. It will also free Campbell to play out on the right as we saw on Saturday with Charman & Maguire to fight it out for the centre-forward starting berth.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:28 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:33 pm
Can’t help thinking that if Luke Charman progress well it won’t be long before clubs from higher up the pyramid come calling. Early days I know but really like what I’ve seen so far. Has two good feet, a bit of pace, strong,decent in the air and an eye for goal. Quite surprised he has dropped to NLN level but I am sure he could go back into the professional game.
Charman is far too good to be sticking around at this level. It's all up to him and if he wants to get back to professional football, the right hard working attitude and he will be snapped up.

Not a dig at Saunders as he has done fantastic but Charman is a lot better than what he was when he was snapped up. Charman is only 5 months younger than Saunders, so I would be very surprised if we hold on to him.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:30 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:14 pm
Probably the right decision in hindsight. He was 7 months away from leaving for free with no compensation or sell-on clause. It would have been preferable for him to move in January after the run of games we have coming up but you can’t begrudge him for wanting to move now. Things never stay still in football and there was no guarantee that opportunity would have been there for him in January.

Sousa is coming in, which is a direct replacement. It will also free Campbell to play out on the right as we saw on Saturday with Charman & Maguire to fight it out for the centre-forward starting berth.
Donawa really wanted to make the move, hard to hold someone back when they get to that stage. Money into the club, with possible add-ons and a free transfer in Sousa to replace him. Whilst I would like to keep Donawa it's not the worst position to be in from our point of view.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:49 pm

AA mentioned in his interview at the end that he is looking to bring in another signing which will be an addition to Sousa.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:55 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:49 pm
AA mentioned in his interview at the end that he is looking to bring in another signing which will be an addition to Sousa.

I’m not too sure. Sousa hasn’t ‘officially’ been announced yet, and we may have been waiting for Donawa’s departure to announce Sousa’s arrival. Always better to announce an arrival after a departure of someone you didn’t really want to lose!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:02 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:30 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

Donawa really wanted to make the move, hard to hold someone back when they get to that stage. Money into the club, with possible add-ons and a free transfer in Sousa to replace him. Whilst I would like to keep Donawa it's not the worst position to be in from our point of view.
Agreed. We’ve cashed in and that’s just where we are as a club. Probably almost at the top of the chain for part-time footballers looking to stay part-time, yet almost at the bottom if you’re attracting interest from higher up and are young enough (and good enough) to enjoy a good number of years playing professionally.

Donawa ticked all the boxes as one that would eventually move on, whether that be now, in January or the summer.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:29 am

Always disappointing to lose a talented player but he was always a prime candidate to be picked up higher up the leagues.

A good opportunity for him to develop full time and we’ve picked up a fee plus add-ons for him too so a decent deal for all parties. And you have to admire someone who is keen to develop himself at a higher level.

We already had plenty of decent attacking options and I’m excited to see what Sousa can do.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:24 am

At this point it's probably in the club's and Justin's interests to cash in and accept the move. It's great we are developing players and moving them on but I feel at some stage we'll need to keep talent to make the next step in terms of promotion.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:00 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:AA mentioned in his interview at the end that he is looking to bring in another signing which will be an addition to Sousa.

Yes I wasn’t sure whether he meant Sousa or another player on top of him.

At this moment in the preferred 4-2-3-1 formation, we started with Campbell left of 3 and Rivers right of 3, with Donawa on the bench. Sousa could play either side I believe, and the young Leeds lad probably could as well. Interesting to see what AA does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:52 am

Not surprised he's gone - I thought he would be moving up in the summer, so to get a fee and a sell on clause for him is good business. Good move for him too - he's very raw but loads of potential, so full time training is probably what he needs to kick on. Best of luck to him

We're still pretty well stocked in wide areas if Sousa comes in and Hudson sticks around. Campbell will also play wide left sometimes too. On that note, when Maguire is fit it'll be interesting to see how we line up.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:19 am

The transfer fee of £15k seems a little low, however NESN are reporting that this is the initial fee. Given that transfer fees are very rarely paid all upfront, it wouldn’t surprise me if we are actually due more in scheduled instalments over the season and we’re playing our cards close to our chest.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:14 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:

I'm looking forward to the fight to become the number one centre forward. Any idea when this may start when are we going to see Maguire actually play?

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:33 pm

bga wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:14 pm
I'm looking forward to the fight to become the number one centre forward. Any idea when this may start when are we going to see Maguire actually play?
The good thing is we don't need to rush him into the team as we've got Charman and Campbell playing well. We/he can take the time needed to get completely fit and see the best from him.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:49 pm

bga wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

He will be available on Saturday I should imagine.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Still hopeful Hudson will come good - the ability will be there but its a case of how much does he want it - as we've shown we are good at putting players in the shop window.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

bga

Post by bga » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:24 pm

Beano wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:33 pm
bga wrote:
The good thing is we don't need to rush him into the team as we've got Charman and Campbell playing well. We/he can take the time needed to get completely fit and see the best from him.
True but if Charman were to get injured next game we might struggle. Maybe Ray can ask AA for an update in his "press conference" before the weekend?

bga

Post by bga » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:25 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:49 pm
bga wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

He will be available on Saturday I should imagine.
Thought he was supposed to have been available a couple of weeks ago. We'll see.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:28 pm

Will still have Amantchi, would like to see a bit more of him his cameos have been good