Nasty defenders

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Alfie
Team Supported: Darlington

Nasty defenders

Post by Alfie » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:08 pm

What we need according to AA.

https://www.nesportnews.co.uk/armstrong ... h-defence/

Interesting bit about players want to continue training if allowed under furlough rules.

Old Git

Re: Nasty defenders

Post by Old Git » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:25 pm

Alfie wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:08 pm

Interesting bit about players want to continue training if allowed under furlough rules.
He is absolutely right we need some strong defenders.
Personally I think the players should continue to train after all if they are on full pay why not. We are always saying that as a part time outfit we don’t get to work on things like set pieces etc. This could be an opportunity to work on things we don’t normally get the chance to. If the players are off until July fitness levels could be a problem when pre season starts.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:01 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:25 pm
Alfie wrote:

Personally I think the players should continue to train after all if they are on full pay why not. We are always saying that as a part time outfit we don’t get to work on things like set pieces etc. This could be an opportunity to work on things we don’t normally get the chance to. If the players are off until July fitness levels could be a problem when pre season starts.
Why not. Because in doing so could make us liable for their full salary not just 20% in line with the furlough scheme. It's a pretty critical point.

The rules of furlough don't allow companies to just claim 80% salary from government and employees continue to work.

Given footballers are paid to train and play matches, since we have no matches scheduled I am not convinced we can claim furlough for effectively doing their entire job.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:35 pm

IMO We haven't had the type of CB we need since we sold Josh Heaton to St Mirren when he was here first time around. 6'4, strong, good in the air, fast enough along the floor, safe enough on the ball

Since then we've had CB's including:
Galbraith - good player, but never felt he was particularly dominant

Ainge - signed as a CF, injury prone, poor distribution and by the end just not arsed about playing for us.

Hughes - converted CM, big lad, good on the ball, read the game well but no fitness.

Collins - injury prone

Burn - one of the worst defenders I've ever seen in a darlo shirt

Vaulks - young lad, I thought he had some potential but has settled at below NLN level since leaving us so probably not what we needed.

Laing - better on the ball than off it. Not particularly tough or imposing.

Hunt - certainly calm on the ball, and reads the game well. But his lack of pace concerns me. No chance of him getting back if people get in behind.

Storey - still think he has a lot of good attributes. Needs to be more imposing on games both in the air and vocally

I've not included loans like Will Smith as they were never our players.

Would love a Josh Heaton style player who was vocal and an organiser to stick next to Storey. But trying to find that player within budget and who hasn't been tempted by one of our north east neighbours is a big challenge

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:21 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:01 pm
Old Git wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:25 pm
Alfie wrote:

Why not. Because in doing so could make us liable for their full salary not just 20% in line with the furlough scheme. It's a pretty critical point.

The rules of furlough don't allow companies to just claim 80% salary from government and employees continue to work.

Given footballers are paid to train and play matches, since we have no matches scheduled I am not convinced we can claim furlough for effectively doing their entire job.
Sorry of course I meant that we should stick within the rules of the furlough scheme. My own fault for assuming that would be understood. If however that is possible then we should continue to train .

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:34 pm

Yeh I think it's unlikely as it was previously not allowed.

A lot of teams did fitness stuff via zoom but that was about it. Can train in twos potentially as almost just members of the public doing exercise.

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:22 pm

If players are on furlough pay they won't be able to do anything work related which would include training... Another thing you can't complain about lack of testing from the league but then continue to train.. Unless of course they do have regular weekly tests.. Its not just the case of no games so well train every Tues weds and Saturday instead

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:49 pm

Will they be able to train once their contracts end at the end of April, or whenever it is? If our contracts only run through the season surely they'll be okay to train after that period?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:34 pm

DJ mentioned at the AGM that the players could train whilst on furlough*.

Disclaimer: I may have mis-heard.

Players’ contracts will run until the end of May. We should be grateful furlough has been extended today as we would have had to find c£30k in May to pay the players otherwise.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:38 pm

David Wheater now 34 is a free agent, just saying

Jersequaker

Post by Jersequaker » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:04 pm

I think Wheater would be a great signing

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:29 pm

He was great in his loan spell here years ago and even came back to watch us in the playoffs. Doubt we could afford his £4K a week wages though! Maybe he’ll take a 90% pay cut 😂

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:05 pm

TKOA wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:29 pm
He was great in his loan spell here years ago and even came back to watch us in the playoffs. Doubt we could afford his £4K a week wages though! Maybe he’ll take a 90% pay cut 😂
Depends what his ambitions are. His wage demands will have to decrease regardless. He is likely quite settled location wise (Bolton -> Oldham).

If he had ambitions of moving back to Teesside you would think he'd have a stop off at Hartlepool or York in him.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see him rock up at Barrow or Stockport next season.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:21 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:05 pm
TKOA wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:29 pm
Depends what his ambitions are. His wage demands will have to decrease regardless. He is likely quite settled location wise (Bolton -> Oldham).

If he had ambitions of moving back to Teesside you would think he'd have a stop off at Hartlepool or York in him.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see him rock up at Barrow or Stockport next season.
Was wanting to move back to the north east earlier in the season. Got in a bit of hot water about it re keeping in shape and getting into training with that amount of travelling.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebol ... 36533.amp/

Can't say I've seen him play in any sort of recent time to comment on the kind of player he is these days.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:01 pm

My understanding is he has already moved back to the region

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:10 pm

Oh fair play. In that case Hartlepool.

It never fails to surprise me how much footballers tend to lean towards moves "home". It is perhaps a mind set that all contracts are a temporary move.

Still remember Joe Cole used to commute from London to play for both Liverpool and Lille and Steven Warnock used to do the same from Liverpool when at Aston Villa.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:17 pm

I actually like the prospect of this, Wheater and Hunt the new White and Foster partnership. Just need to make sure we have some fullbacks with pace. :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:23 pm

You never know it may depend on his future plans. If he is looking at future employment opportunities outside of professional football signing for us might be a good option. At least we know what league we will be playing in next season whereas Poolie don’t so they are not yet in a position to make offers to prospective signings.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:49 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:17 pm
I actually like the prospect of this, Wheater and Hunt the new White and Foster partnership. Just need to make sure we have some fullbacks with pace. :thumbup:
I can see Hunt retiring before the new season starts.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:32 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
No thanks.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:41 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:32 pm
real_darlo_85 wrote:
No thanks.
And no thanks from me.You’d need full backs with the pace of Usain Bolt to cover for them.I don’t see Hunt being here next season anyway.After Armstrong ‘s comments about our defense a couple of weeks ago I reckon that’s where the clear out starts.Probably the biggest earner at the club as well.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:09 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:10 pm

It never fails to surprise me how much footballers tend to lean towards moves "home". It is perhaps a mind set that all contracts are a temporary move.

Still remember Joe Cole used to commute from London to play for both Liverpool and Lille and Steven Warnock used to do the same from Liverpool when at Aston Villa.
Sadly as well as Hartlepool I think Spennymoor and even South Shields would be above us in the pecking order with all the money they’ve got.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:32 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:41 pm
darlo2001uk wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:32 pm
real_darlo_85 wrote:
No thanks.
And no thanks from me.You’d need full backs with the pace of Usain Bolt to cover for them.I don’t see Hunt being here next season anyway.After Armstrong ‘s comments about our defense a couple of weeks ago I reckon that’s where the clear out starts.Probably the biggest earner at the club as well.
Agree. For me, Hunt didn't work out.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:02 am

lo36789 wrote:

I find it totally mind-boggling, verging on weird if you can't live a couple of hours away from where you were born. You see it all the time and it's just a baffling parochial mindset to me. Young lads (even senior footballers) who can't handle being more than a couple of hours drive away from where they were born. It seems a particularly English thing. Anyone whose ever lived overseas or worked with, for example, Americans or Australians (or others) really gives you a sense for how strange a mindset this is.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:31 am

H1987 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:02 am
lo36789 wrote:

I find it totally mind-boggling, verging on weird if you can't live a couple of hours away from where you were born. You see it all the time and it's just a baffling parochial mindset to me. Young lads (even senior footballers) who can't handle being more than a couple of hours drive away from where they were born. It seems a particularly English thing. Anyone whose ever lived overseas or worked with, for example, Americans or Australians (or others) really gives you a sense for how strange a mindset this is.
Don't see what's particularly weird or baffling about wanting to live close to where you were born. Likely plenty of friends and family in the area. Good knowledge of some of the nicer areas to live and where you'd be comfortable living. Knowledge of local area, things to do, places which might hold important memories to that individual.

If all of the above helps you settle down and live happily and perform well in your job because you're comfortable and happy in your life away from work, then surely it makes a lot of sense. Particularly for footballers who may be at the ends of their playing career, its a big deal no longer being able to do what you've done for the last 20 years at the age of 36, unless you've played consistently championship level or above you're likely to need a second career to support you and your family, why not return to somewhere which is well known and secure while you try to sort out the next part of your life. There will be others for whom the above isn't important and other factors drive their happiness where they live and its impact on their work. You can point to Americans or Australians, but you could quite as easily point to Asian cultures where staying close to family and multi generational living is very common.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:15 am

Less of a it being mind bogging for me. I think it is more of a stark reminder of quite how nomadic a footballers career is.

It surprised me with someone like Wheater over a decade living around Lancashire and still suggests he wasn't settled there.

It makes perfect sense really after all at the drop of the hat you can be moved from country to country nevermind city to city. If you do have a young family you can see why they wouldn't move them to wherever your next 12 month contract is.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:34 am

JE93 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:31 am
H1987 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Don't see what's particularly weird or baffling about wanting to live close to where you were born. Likely plenty of friends and family in the area. Good knowledge of some of the nicer areas to live and where you'd be comfortable living. Knowledge of local area, things to do, places which might hold important memories to that individual.

If all of the above helps you settle down and live happily and perform well in your job because you're comfortable and happy in your life away from work, then surely it makes a lot of sense. Particularly for footballers who may be at the ends of their playing career, its a big deal no longer being able to do what you've done for the last 20 years at the age of 36, unless you've played consistently championship level or above you're likely to need a second career to support you and your family, why not return to somewhere which is well known and secure while you try to sort out the next part of your life. There will be others for whom the above isn't important and other factors drive their happiness where they live and its impact on their work. You can point to Americans or Australians, but you could quite as easily point to Asian cultures where staying close to family and multi generational living is very common.
I think you’re missing the point. I’m not saying people shouldn’t want a connection to home, I’m saying you’re not really very far from home if you’re still on this island. From Darlington, the only places that are particularly inconvenient to travel to are Cornwall and Aberdeen. Maybe South Wales at a push. Most places are a couple of hours drive or a train ride away. I can be door to door to my folks place from my place in London in just over three hours. The distances we are talking about are completely negligible by the standards of most countries.

I just find the idea of turning down opportunities to be ‘closer to home’ when in reality, that home is close just about anywhere on this island is just odd. Really odd.

Obviously I get it at our level because we’re not talking about professionals and it doesn’t make sense financially (Tommy Wright pay attention), but if you can’t take a job two hours away because your mam won’t be there to wipe your backside for you at a moments notice... well. Less said the better.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:14 am

H1987 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:34 am
JE93 wrote:
H1987 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

I think you’re missing the point. I’m not saying people shouldn’t want a connection to home, I’m saying you’re not really very far from home if you’re still on this island. From Darlington, the only places that are particularly inconvenient to travel to are Cornwall and Aberdeen. Maybe South Wales at a push. Most places are a couple of hours drive or a train ride away. I can be door to door to my folks place from my place in London in just over three hours. The distances we are talking about are completely negligible by the standards of most countries.

I just find the idea of turning down opportunities to be ‘closer to home’ when in reality, that home is close just about anywhere on this island is just odd. Really odd.

Obviously I get it at our level because we’re not talking about professionals and it doesn’t make sense financially (Tommy Wright pay attention), but if you can’t take a job two hours away because your mam won’t be there to wipe your backside for you at a moments notice... well. Less said the better.
Nope, I'd say its the opposite actually. The point has completely passed you by.

Its not about being incapable of living away from home or not being close for mum to do everything for you. Its about where you are happiest, and what factors contribute toward that happiness. As I said above that happiness may come from being able to pop in and see parents or siblings or old friends after work (harder to do if you're hours rather than say 30 minutes or so away) otherwise as a pro footballer you're training 5 times a week and playing Saturday's. So that leaves Sunday as a chance to see these people (that are any sort of distance away) during the 10 month season. It might be that you already have a young family and kids have friends locally or are in school so potentially moving away would mean uprooting your family or potentially moving away on your own and limiting time you'd spend with them. All of the above will potentially shape where you are happiest, which will then shape whether something is a good opportunity or not.

I find it fairly sad that you need to try to include a belittling comment in there. As with most of the belittling or insulting comments on this board, I doubt you'd say that to the face of a young, physically fit footballer who'd just decided to take a move closer to home. You'd probably choose your words more carefully.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:01 pm

JE93 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:14 am
H1987 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:34 am
JE93 wrote:
H1987 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Nope, I'd say its the opposite actually. The point has completely passed you by.

Its not about being incapable of living away from home or not being close for mum to do everything for you. Its about where you are happiest, and what factors contribute toward that happiness. As I said above that happiness may come from being able to pop in and see parents or siblings or old friends after work (harder to do if you're hours rather than say 30 minutes or so away) otherwise as a pro footballer you're training 5 times a week and playing Saturday's. So that leaves Sunday as a chance to see these people (that are any sort of distance away) during the 10 month season. It might be that you already have a young family and kids have friends locally or are in school so potentially moving away would mean uprooting your family or potentially moving away on your own and limiting time you'd spend with them. All of the above will potentially shape where you are happiest, which will then shape whether something is a good opportunity or not.

I find it fairly sad that you need to try to include a belittling comment in there. As with most of the belittling or insulting comments on this board, I doubt you'd say that to the face of a young, physically fit footballer who'd just decided to take a move closer to home. You'd probably choose your words more carefully.
Making a whole swathe of assumptions there. You are aware footballers don't work Monday-Friday 9-5 aren't you? You seem to be taking this rather personally. You've taken a point about the relatively small size of this country and the ease of making what to many parts of the world are small journies and made it into a personal affront. Personally, I didn't realise two hours on a train could be so upsetting. Maybe try to be a little less delicate in the future?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:04 pm

I'm well aware footballers don't work 9-5 monday to Friday. They have to work Saturdays too! (I mean, I feel like you set me up for that one). But I've provided a long list of reasons why someone may want to stay local and why that would be better for them. All you have asserted is that it doesn't apply to you or your way of thinking.

Not taking anything personally. Not least because it doesn't apply to me in the slightest, I've lived abroad and now live around London for work. But my point stands, frequently on here people will throw out comments they wouldn't say to anothers face. If you think I'm delicate cause I can see things from others point of view and don't feel the need to use insults when I make a point. I'll happily stay as I am thanks.

Christ this is boring. When does the football start again.