Pool(s) If You Think It's Over

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Pool(s) If You Think It's Over

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:54 pm

It's just begun - for our friends and neighbours across the way. Instead of filling threads with stale stuff from our back pages, or semantical handbags, let's send good vibrations to Hartlepool, one of the regions few success stories. Rivals certainly but not 'hated rivals' - we've more in common and one of us should be back in the league. So I say, love thy neighbour and say a little prayer; Randy Newman sang all men are brothers till they die, something Brian Honour must have been saying when he grabbed Lee Dixon by the neck. In fact the more I think about it Poolie's in time have often been deep thinkers; Don Hutchison, Joe Allon, Ernie Pythian. Steeped in history, lost in time. Let's celebrate the moment and share favourite thoughts concerning our friends in the north. :thumbup: 8-)

quaker4life
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pool(s) If You Think It's Over

Post by quaker4life » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:13 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:54 pm
It's just begun - for our friends and neighbours across the way. Instead of filling threads with stale stuff from our back pages, or semantical handbags, let's send good vibrations to Hartlepool, one of the regions few success stories. Rivals certainly but not 'hated rivals' - we've more in common and one of us should be back in the league. So I say, love thy neighbour and say a little prayer; Randy Newman sang all men are brothers till they die, something Brian Honour must have been saying when he grabbed Lee Dixon by the neck. In fact the more I think about it Poolie's in time have often been deep thinkers; Don Hutchison, Joe Allon, Ernie Pythian. Steeped in history, lost in time. Let's celebrate the moment and share favourite thoughts concerning our friends in the north. :thumbup: 8-)
I'm just going to put this down to a bout of lockdown insanity, therefore you get off on grounds of diminished responsibility.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:54 pm

Wonder if they've found any use for their Trophy Cabinet yet!!

OYD
Team Supported: Hartlepool

Post by OYD » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:04 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:54 pm
Pristine condition Pete !
Don't think I'll see it used in my lifetime :shock:

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:29 pm

OYD wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:04 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:54 pm
Pristine condition Pete !
Don't think I'll see it used in my lifetime :shock:
Nailed on play off win now

Henley

Post by Henley » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:48 am

The buggers are still annoying me.

5 matches ago, I decided I would bet on them to win every game in the hope I lost money (which I’ve done). However, in that 5 match spell was their victory away to Torquay which I missed putting a bet on because I didn’t know they were playing 😄

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:51 am

Raj has been giving his thoughts to the local rag.

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/ ... il-3169765

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:15 am

Alfie wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:51 am

Looks like the usual sort of thing from the likes of Raj. Vailed threats of pulling out if the local council don’t back his plans to redevelop the ground. I would be uneasy if I were a monkey hanger.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:29 am

Alfie wrote:

Eat, sleep, use football clubs has collateral to force development plans, repeat
Last edited by lo36789 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:30 am

Old Git wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:15 am
Alfie wrote:

Looks like the usual sort of thing from the likes of Raj. Vailed threats of pulling out if the local council don’t back his plans to redevelop the ground. I would be uneasy if I were a monkey hanger.
So similar to the Arena redevelopment if he doesn't get what he wants (ground for free) then he is on his buke, oh yes and the £1.6million sage loans I took over and additional money provided for Luke Armstrong I want back aswell.
We know this guy is only in it for the money, don't forget last year early on in the pandemic he complained he was losing £15-20K a week as old buggers were dying in his care homes and not being replaced quick enough.
It is only going to go one way with Raj in charge yes it was the only option with him and Jeff at the time but fans have lost a year in planning the rescue bid.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:41 am

Looks like this year it’s a yes or no from the council, Singh seems to have presented his plans to them and after 18 months he wants answers.This puts pressure on the council to come up with a proposal that will satisfy Singh,as they have supported the club over the years and these discussions could be crucial to their future.

If they refuse to meet his demands ....just have a gut feeling.Good luck Poolies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eek

Post by eek » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:48 am

Why on earth is he pushing for agreements with the council when there are about to be council elections.

Anything agreed now could be contradicted come May 9th.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:21 am

Most of this mirrors his tenure with us, to me it's win or bust this season for them.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:20 pm

So it begins - properly begins!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:46 pm

There's literally nothing wrong with Victoria Park for football at the level it's being played at. The guy is a delusional fantacist, who will then blame all around him for his failures if it goes wrong.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:49 pm

H1987 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:46 pm
There's literally nothing wrong with Victoria Park for football at the level it's being played at. The guy is a delusional fantacist, who will then blame all around him for his failures if it goes wrong.
Clubs in the NL need to make money from their ground outside of matchdays. I don't think he is necessarily wrong about it.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:50 pm

One of the possibilities that Singh is apparently mulling over is building a new stadium.

Really?

This has to be an empty piece of posturing. How could he possibly raise the capital? And as Vic Park is a okay for footy and popular with the locals what does he have in mind as extra money making activities?

I wonder if Hignett has been paid yet?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:20 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:49 pm
H1987 wrote:
Clubs in the NL need to make money from their ground outside of matchdays. I don't think he is necessarily wrong about it.
Do they? I’d imagine the majority don’t. Some will have a function room, but that’s something even plenty of amateur rugby and cricket clubs have, to varying degrees of quality. It can’t be that key to the long term financial viability of the club. What else? A handful rent out a 4G pitch, but not many.

The idea that a majority of football stadiums are a hive of activity outside of match days just isn’t really true. A few make extra money from occasional events but again, I really don’t think those occasional events are frequent enough nor entirely vital to the long term viability of a football club. I’d go as far to say that I’m slightly cynical about some of these extras as they’re usually the product of paying for unnecessarily expensive facilities to begin with.

All extra income for small clubs is always very welcome, of course, but as Darlo fans surely we should all be very wary of businessmen wanting to build brand new facilities with often fanciful ideas for additional activities in mind, in order to get approval of those designs.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:33 pm

I'm sure I went to a meeting once at The Arena when grandiose plans were being unveiled about hotels and MONORAILS!

It was ridiculous - did it really happen? I ask myself...

It's all very well to fully utilise a facility that is already there (like Walsall) but to spend millions on building something which will never pay is down right suspicious.

Sotnick, that's who it was.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:49 pm

H1987 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:20 pm
lo36789 wrote:
H1987 wrote:
Do they? I’d imagine the majority don’t. Some will have a function room, but that’s something even plenty of amateur rugby and cricket clubs have, to varying degrees of quality. It can’t be that key to the long term financial viability of the club. What else? A handful rent out a 4G pitch, but not many.

The idea that a majority of football stadiums are a hive of activity outside of match days just isn’t really true. A few make extra money from occasional events but again, I really don’t think those occasional events are frequent enough nor entirely vital to the long term viability of a football club.
Pretty sure David Johnstone came back from Walsall and said exactly the above.

Wrexham, Chesterfield, Notts County, Halifax and Stockport all seem to offer conferencing facilities.

Can't really comment on many others as don't get there but Hartlepool are I believe the only northern NL side who don't open their ground outside of matchdays (in normal times)

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:11 am

John Sotnick, biggest smarmy bullshiter I ever met,

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:36 am

onewayup wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:11 am
lOOKING at his Linkedin bio from estate agent to international man of mystery it appears the bullshit is continuing and he can still make a living out of it.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:45 pm

onewayup wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:11 am
I think we've discussed this before but on the night in question when Sotnick was well and truly in Bullshit overdrive and banging on about a Darlo Monorail, the main gripe from the floor was the dramatic price rise in relation to pies. 40% if I remember correctly!!

I in fact kept my head down here but I never had a pie from the Arena after this point.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:45 pm

H1987 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
H1987 wrote:

The idea that a majority of football stadiums are a hive of activity outside of match days just isn’t really true. A few make extra money from occasional events but again, I really don’t think those occasional events are frequent enough nor entirely vital to the long term viability of a football club. I’d go as far to say that I’m slightly cynical about some of these extras as they’re usually the product of paying for unnecessarily expensive facilities to begin with.

All extra income for small clubs is always very welcome, of course, but as Darlo fans surely we should all be very wary of businessmen wanting to build brand new facilities with often fanciful ideas for additional activities in mind, in order to get approval of those designs.
Yes, you certainly do need to make money off the stadium or land around it to compete at National League level, unless you have an owner willing to cover six-figure losses each year.

If we are to compete in the league above then we will need to increase revenue by an additional c£500k on top of what we do now (excluding cup income & transfer fees). That won't be found by an extra 100/200 on the gate if we are promoted. This is the biggest challenge which we face as a club, IMO.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:01 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:45 pm
H1987 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
H1987 wrote:

Yes, you certainly do need to make money off the stadium or land around it to compete at National League level, unless you have an owner willing to cover six-figure losses each year.

If we are to compete in the league above then we will need to increase revenue by an additional c£500k on top of what we do now (excluding cup income & transfer fees). That won't be found by an extra 100/200 on the gate if we are promoted. This is the biggest challenge which we face as a club, IMO.
Totally agree although think it would be nearer £750k. We have a great fan owned well run club but to get us to the next level we will require some serious extra income which IMO I just can’t see where that would come from except from an outside source however with that investment he/she would want a large say on how the club is run.