Terry Melling

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Terry Melling

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:52 pm

Just reading on Mike Amos' blog about striker who played for us way back and has just died. Sounds like a real character who was as tough as they come. Apparently not many dared mess with the lad from Haverton Hill but he also scored a few for various clubs.

Alfie

Re: Terry Melling

Post by Alfie » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:56 pm

Remember watching him late sixties (69?). I think he played for us towards the end of his career. A real old fashioned bustling centre forward, must have been a nightmare to play against when physical challenges which would be a red card today went without comment. Don't know how he would have managed with todays no contact game.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:01 pm

Terry, what a hard bugger he was, allegedly he used to pop into the Waterloo for several pints on his way to Feethams before a game
Just to warm up you understand. Lol

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:26 pm

I have a vague memory of him scoring at the Tin Shed end in a big game against Bradford City. I think it was possibly the final game of the season possibly 1969ish when both sides were in with a chance of promotion. There was a big crowd about 11000 including a large contingent from Bradford. If I am correct Melling scored the first goal and all hell broke out in the Shed.
It was before the days of segregation and fighting fans spilled on to the pitch and the referee had to take the players back to the dressing rooms. The game was held up for several minutes and when it restarted it seemed to have affected us and I think we lost 3-1.
Can anyone else remember this game?

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:59 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:26 pm
I have a vague memory of him scoring at the Tin Shed end in a big game against Bradford City. I think it was possibly the final game of the season possibly 1969ish when both sides were in with a chance of promotion. There was a big crowd about 11000 including a large contingent from Bradford. If I am correct Melling scored the first goal and all hell broke out in the Shed.
It was before the days of segregation and fighting fans spilled on to the pitch and the referee had to take the players back to the dressing rooms. The game was held up for several minutes and when it restarted it seemed to have affected us and I think we lost 3-1.
I was at the game. As I remember it was not quite the last game but whoever won would have been in a great position for promotion. Like you say Melling scored in front of the Tin Shed then we had the pitch invasion. I think some official from Bradford was on the public address system pleading with their fans to get off the pitch. Like you say when it eventually restarted it was a different game. Don't know if there was any comeback for the crowd trouble but seemed almost routine in those days.

Don't remember if it happend at this game but we went through a phase when everyone behind the goal seemed to bring toilet rolls with them (no searches in those days - but if stoped you could always say you couldn't guarantee there would be any in the bogs?). Most finished up draped over the nets but from time to time a roll came flying into the penalty area while play was in the area.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:25 pm

Old Git wrote:
Correct. Terry scored with a header from a 4th minute corner from the left as you look towards the tinshed from SP end.
The Bradford fans went mad and tried to wreck the place. From that point on every time 1 of our players went near the touchline they either had rocks/concrete thrown at them and a few City fans had chunks of wood and tried to hit our lads with them.
The side of 66 were unlucky to be relegated the following year. (I have always remembered that Leeds complained they had over 100 games missed through injury while we had near on 300 missed).
Missing out on promotion in 69 season having been top virtually all season and being the last side to loose a game,(Think it was 17 games and Everton were the last to loose leaving us to get a mention on the football results), was the end of a good era for the club. We dropped into the bottom echelons in the early 70's and had a torrid time until 85.
Had not seen that Terry had passed, but we are loosing a lot from those days with Frank Worthington being the latest mentioned today.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:30 pm

Old Git wrote:
I too was at this game.
For some reason I think it was a Friday night game (but see below as my recollection may well be inaccurate on this and indeed other points)
My recollection is that the Bradford fans arrived early and decided that they were going in the tin shed and they had it filled before many Darlo fans arrived.
The Darlo fans, or the majority of them, occupied the Polam Lane end at the start of the match.
I, for reasons I cannot fathom other than it seemed sensible to stay where I was and keep quiet, took up one of my then regular spots sitting or standing on the raised concrete base at the back of the tin shed leaning against one of the steel upright cantilever supports.
My recollection, though after this time it might be imagination, is that Terry Melling got to a cross from the right which came over well inside the 6 yard box and next thing the ball (and possibly the Bradford keeper, but I wasn't watching him so that is pure speculation) was in the net. I was not sure which part of his anatomy it came off but I think it was claimed as a header.
This was at the Tin Shed end.
The Darlo fans erupted.
The vast majority of the tin shed was eerily quiet.
The Polam Lane Darlo fans then seemed to decide as one that they had had more than enough of their unusual vantage point and decided to take up their normal places in the tin shed.
Mayhem ensued.
I think that one or both managers came out to the fans and the Bradford manager indicated to their supporters that he would prefer it if they went to the other end, which they eventually did.
This held up the game for 10-15 minutes I think and it went very downhill for us from there on.
I think they were promoted, we were not and I think we sold Les O'Neill to them soon after the end of the season.
I might of course be completely mistaken and my memory might be playing tricks.

Henley

Post by Henley » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:12 pm

I’m loving this thread 👍🏻

EDIT: I don’t mean because of the news of Terry’s death.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:21 pm

The Bradford City fans voted it one of the greatest City matches and their version was "Darlington took the lead, the game was delayed for 10 minutes as a wall collapsed in the away end, and then Bobby Ham, Bruce Bannister and an own goal gave City the priceless victory – a first promotion for 40 years".

Sounds like mayhem... how the hell wasn't anyone seriously injured when a barrier collapsed with a crowd of 11.000 rammed into Feethams. I'll bet the battered and crushed fans at the front just dusted themselves down, cleared up the bog rolls and got on with it :D

Anyway I'm surprised Tel didn't sort out one or two of the Tin Shed interlopers!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:50 pm

Footifanreturns wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:01 pm
Terry, what a hard bugger he was, allegedly he used to pop into the Waterloo for several pints on his way to Feethams before a game
Just to warm up you understand. Lol
Occasionally at halftime, Stan Bowles allegedly used to run across the road in Shepherds Bush to get a cheeky half pint :crazy:

The 70s !!!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:52 pm

Alfie wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:59 pm
Old Git wrote:
I was at the game. As I remember it was not quite the last game but whoever won would have been in a great position for promotion. Like you say Melling scored in front of the Tin Shed then we had the pitch invasion. I think some official from Bradford was on the public address system pleading with their fans to get off the pitch. Like you say when it eventually restarted it was a different game. Don't know if there was any comeback for the crowd trouble but seemed almost routine in those days.

Don't remember if it happend at this game but we went through a phase when everyone behind the goal seemed to bring toilet rolls with them (no searches in those days - but if stoped you could always say you couldn't guarantee there would be any in the bogs?). Most finished up draped over the nets but from time to time a roll came flying into the penalty area while play was in the area.
It WAS the last game.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:29 pm

Sad to hear that Frank Worthington has passed away. He was one of the best players in an era when there were some real characters in the game. Stan Bowles and Rodney Marsh spring to mind as great entertainers around at the same time as Frank.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:29 pm

I was at that game and Ed John's is correct, this WAS the last game of the season, winner take all with automatic promotion for the winners and nothing for the losers.Got off to a dream start with that early goal but did not push on and Bradford deserved the 3-1 win.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:58 pm

Frank Worthington used to attend Darlo games sometimes from 87-89 when his nephew Gary played for us. He always was very friendly and chatty and a good bloke by all accounts.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:17 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:29 pm
I was at that game and Ed John's is correct, this WAS the last game of the season, winner take all with automatic promotion for the winners and nothing for the losers.Got off to a dream start with that early goal but did not push on and Bradford deserved the 3-1 win.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Friday 9th May 1969

Spratts corner

Post by Spratts corner » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:50 pm

I too was at this game, My recollection of this game was that we needed a draw and they needed a win. After our goal all he'll broke loose and two sections of advertising boards and corrugated tin pannels came down directly behind the Tin Shed goal under the weight of fighting fans and fans trying to get away from it. This seemed to be the start of the hooligan era at Feethams, because I'm sure the barriers came down a couple of seasons later against Lincoln and Bury,After Tin Shed fisty cuffs.I seem to remember the chant..one,two,thee,four,give if you want to stay alive....Keep out the Tin Shed !!!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:53 pm

Sorry to hear of passing of Terry M & Frank W. Both were blessed with more hair than usual for their day with Terry favouring "greaser" style.
I was at the Bradford City game too & initially puzzled by Bradford fans in half Tin Shed nearest East stand. Terry got us off to a great start so the black & white half of the Tin Shed went bonkers, yes bog rolls thrown but also wooden rattles which in those days did not constitute an offensive weapon. City fans surged towards the Quaker fans with hostile intent & caused first the barriers on terrace to collapse then front corrogated sheets went and crowd spilled onto pitch. Ref took teams off to let police & stewards restore modicum of order. Fans realised game had to be completed in order to get promotion decided as close to season end. Over 11k packed the ground & City fans had obviously made it a grand day out.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:03 am

I am guessing but I think Terry Melling and Lance Robson must have played in the same team at some point as Lance came back for a second spell in the late sixties. That must have been a daunting experience for defenders. Neither were massive physical specimens but both were really hard. I bet a good number of opposition players were downed during the game and a good number of pints after the game as well!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:08 am

Spratts corner wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:50 pm
I too was at this game, My recollection of this game was that we needed a draw and they needed a win. After our goal all he'll broke loose and two sections of advertising boards and corrugated tin pannels came down directly behind the Tin Shed goal under the weight of fighting fans and fans trying to get away from it. This seemed to be the start of the hooligan era at Feethams, because I'm sure the barriers came down a couple of seasons later against Lincoln and Bury,After Tin Shed fisty cuffs.I seem to remember the chant..one,two,thee,four,give if you want to stay alive....Keep out the Tin Shed !!!
We also had a barrier collapse at a game v Barnsley about that time that we lost 2-0. It was just to the right of the goal as you look from SP end.
It was 1 of the few games I ever went in the tinshed, and the last. I was right at the front and scared shitless as it went. How we got away with only 1 broken arm to an older guy I will never know.
I had not realised it gave way so often. Would never pass safety checks now obviously

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:39 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:08 am
Spratts corner wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:50 pm
We also had a barrier collapse at a game v Barnsley about that time that we lost 2-0. It was just to the right of the goal as you look from SP end.
It was 1 of the few games I ever went in the tinshed, and the last. I was right at the front and scared shitless as it went. How we got away with only 1 broken arm to an older guy I will never know.
I had not realised it gave way so often. Would never pass safety checks now obviously
Well you would think so but how did Spennymoor’s pathetic barrier ever pass a safety inspection ?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:02 am

Old Git wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:03 am
I am guessing but I think Terry Melling and Lance Robson must have played in the same team at some point as Lance came back for a second spell in the late sixties. That must have been a daunting experience for defenders. Neither were massive physical specimens but both were really hard. I bet a good number of opposition players were downed during the game and a good number of pints after the game as well!

Melling and Robson certainly played together in a big cup game against a star-studded Everton side in 1969 because a report I read said Melling had three efforts kicked off the line and Robson missed a great chance to equalise late on. Another report from the 1969-70 season shows Melling scoring 2 (one of them a brilliant individual goal) and setting up Robson for another goal in a 3-2 victory over Colchester.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:53 pm

The Everton game had it's fair share of potential lalldy; John Peverill was up against Johnny Morrissey on the left, I think the barriers must have been at risk from the collective crunch whenever those two went for a tackle, legend has it that Morrissey was capable of intimidating Leeds United all on his own - classic winger though, worth looking for on Youtube films. I wasn't there but did we run them close that night until Alan Ball scored?
I was at the Bradford game and thought at the time that the team was badly affected by the pitch invasion and hostility but that season seemed to take a left turn during March - I think we didn't win a match that month and that we only stuttered with our form afterwards, having been so good up to the New Year. I sometimes think of that season when George Gently is on in a late sixties episode and wonder if something fishy went on at the club. Anyone remember the Everton game?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:57 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:53 pm
The Everton game had it's fair share of potential lalldy; John Peverill was up against Johnny Morrissey on the left, I think the barriers must have been at risk from the collective crunch whenever those two went for a tackle, legend has it that Morrissey was capable of intimidating Leeds United all on his own - classic winger though, worth looking for on Youtube films. I wasn't there but did we run them close that night until Alan Ball scored?
I was at the Bradford game and thought at the time that the team was badly affected by the pitch invasion and hostility but that season seemed to take a left turn during March - I think we didn't win a match that month and that we only stuttered with our form afterwards, having been so good up to the New Year. I sometimes think of that season when George Gently is on in a late sixties episode and wonder if something fishy went on at the club. Anyone remember the Everton game?
I was there, so was Alan Ball in his white Addidas boots which were thought by most of us as worthy of giving him stick, all very non-PC and nowadays the ginger taunts would be deemed racist. He had the last laugh & after scoring came over to West stand to taunt those who had been jeering him. As a World Cup winner, he was probably allowed to rub it in a bit.

Spratts corner

Post by Spratts corner » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:30 pm

Harry Catterick was the Everton manager at the time.I think he was from Darlington or very close by.He was the only one to give me his autograph as he led the team around the cricket pitch before the game,none of the others would.Miserable buggers !!!

Darlopj

Post by Darlopj » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:55 pm

Does anyone recall a game against Huddersfield in the early 70s (about 73/74) where at the wall at the Polam Lane collapsed? I think the game ended 2-2. The thing is I can't remember if a) I was there and witnessed it, b) saw on Shoot the day later or c) dreamt the whole thing. I think it was a) as it was one of the few games I ever remember being featured on Shoot and wanted to see it again. For younger viewers, Shoot was the Tyne Tees equivalent of Match of the Day. Usually about half 2 on a Sunday. If it was c) then I blame advancing years and Footifanreturns on being the Landlord of my local!

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:06 am

Suprised how much response this initial post of sad news has generated - didn't realise there were so many posters of my age on here.

I remember Shoot - quite poor coverage really but in those days teams like Darlo didn't get on TV, so it was still quite an event. Programme dominated by 'the big3', with the odd Darlo match (and Pools presumably but never watched those on principle). If I remember correctly there was one camera - black and white - at the back of the Polam Lane end - must have been one of the few TV games shown from behind the goal rather than side on.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:10 am

Alfie wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:06 am
Suprised how much response this initial post of sad news has generated - didn't realise there were so many posters of my age on here.

I remember Shoot - quite poor coverage really but in those days teams like Darlo didn't get on TV, so it was still quite an event. Programme dominated by 'the big3', with the odd Darlo match (and Pools presumably but never watched those on principle). If I remember correctly there was one camera - black and white - at the back of the Polam Lane end - must have been one of the few TV games shown from behind the goal rather than side on.
There was indeed a gantry behind the goal at the South park end of the ground, and later at the side of the West stand town end.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:24 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:10 am
Alfie wrote:

There was indeed a gantry behind the goal at the South park end of the ground, and later at the side of the West stand town end.
My recollections were that it was slightly to the right (nearer the corner flag) of the goal as you were facing the pitch, which made an even stranger angle when watching Shoot. Have I remembered that correctly?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:55 pm

bga wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:24 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:10 am
Alfie wrote:

My recollections were that it was slightly to the right (nearer the corner flag) of the goal as you were facing the pitch, which made an even stranger angle when watching Shoot. Have I remembered that correctly?
To the right if it was behind you yes. Left if looking from the tinshed