6 players leave

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bga
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by bga » Tue May 04, 2021 8:33 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:09 am
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:10 pm
Stod reporting that Campbell wanted to leave and Gateshead are favourites to sign him.
All these players have lined up other clubs which tells us they made the decision. Surprised fans are interpreting these as being we didn't offer them a new deal.

If anything it suggests we at least started a conversation to see where their heads were and were duly informed they would be leaving. I suspect there are differing levels of concern from AA on them.
Who do we actually have signed up for next season? I don't mean players where we/they have an option of another year as they could still leave? I think that would help BTB if fans knew the full picture as yesterday's news is on balance disappointing.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:59 am

Given how badly we performed in the league last season, we were a soft touch, then I happy to get some new blood.
Maguire was a flop and also injured a lot - so I am surprised he has been offered a deal elsewhere, but it will be most likely be Shields or Spenny.
Watson - is a shame as he was always a decent back up for Liddle
Liddle wasn't great recently - as a whole defensively we were bad though
Reid and Atkinson - the less said the better
Finally Campbell - I am pleased he has gone, seems a nice lad, but almost too nice. I don't think he has the fire in his belly anymore - it must be hard for the lad to be the next biggest thing at Newcastle and then playing part time football. I think he has accepted his fate that he will not get back into league football and is just cruising along.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlogramps

6 players leave

Post by Darlogramps » Tue May 04, 2021 9:05 am

bga wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Stod reporting that Campbell wanted to leave and Gateshead are favourites to sign him.
All these players have lined up other clubs which tells us they made the decision. Surprised fans are interpreting these as being we didn't offer them a new deal.

If anything it suggests we at least started a conversation to see where their heads were and were duly informed they would be leaving. I suspect there are differing levels of concern from AA on them.
Who do we actually have signed up for next season? I don't mean players where we/they have an option of another year as they could still leave? I think that would help BTB if fans knew the full picture as yesterday's news is on balance disappointing.
Charman and that’s it so far.

But it’s not been an issue in previous BTBs so I can’t understand why you think it’d be an issue now.

In the next few weeks we’ll see new renewals come through. Hopefully fairly swiftly as we’ve had since February to focus on the new season.

The players’ contracts will have been until the end of April, hence why the news came out yesterday. In the coming weeks those who are staying will be announced, and we can already probably have a fairly good stab at who those will be.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue May 04, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

6 players leave

Post by Darlogramps » Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Given how badly we performed in the league last season, we were a soft touch, then I happy to get some new blood.
Maguire was a flop and also injured a lot - so I am surprised he has been offered a deal elsewhere, but it will be most likely be Shields or Spenny.
Finally Campbell - I am pleased he has gone, seems a nice lad, but almost too nice. I don't think he has the fire in his belly anymore - it must be hard for the lad to be the next biggest thing at Newcastle and then playing part time football. I think he has accepted his fate that he will not get back into league football and is just cruising along.
Matron, he’s out of bed again!

“I don’t think he has the fire in his belly” and “Maguire was a flop”.

That’s up there with: “Turnbull doesn’t score enough” and Pete’s: “Where’s the moon?” for silliest comments on here.

Appreciate people won’t all agree and that’s fine. But OTT shock-jock nonsense like this doesn’t help any sort of sensible discussion.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:24 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:05 am
bga wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:

But it’s not been an issue in previous BTBs so I can’t understand why you think it’d be an issue now.

In the next few weeks we’ll see new renewals come through. Hopefully fairly swiftly as we’ve had since February to focus on the new season.

The players’ contracts will have been until the end of April, hence why the news came out yesterday. In the coming weeks those who are staying will be announced, and we can already probably have a fairly good stab at who those will be.
Think Hatfield signed a two year deal last summer aswell (rather than a 1+1) so Hatfield and Charman currently the only players confirmed for next season.

For me you'd hope to add Rivers, Sousa, Wheatley, Storey, Hedley, McMahon (makes sense if he's also head coach of academy) to that list. I wouldn't offer Holmes or Laing anything more than a pay as you play until they were fit and had played 10-15 games. Then you're probably looking at 9-10 new signings to bring you to a squad of 17 or 18 to start the season, with maybe a loanee or two on top of that.

Surprised people are so negative for Campbell, I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't been involved (scored or assisted) half of our goals in the last 2 seasons which is no mean feet. Certainly a quality player and would make most at this level stronger. Would have been very happy of he was staying next season.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue May 04, 2021 9:29 am

How does contract renewal actually work when we won't have the exact BTB figures until the end of May? Does the club work to an estimated ballpark figure of how much we'll raise with a tolerance built in of, say, 25k?

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue May 04, 2021 9:29 am

Sorry to see Campbell and liddle go needed those players in our squad. Laing, hunt , Hudson, Holmes wouldn't mind losing; leaving us needing 11-12 new additions depending if Omar and others stay. I would keep Saltmer and require another GK (if Cranston not good enough), 5 defenders a couple nasty no nonsense types in there, if Omar leaves, another midfielder and 3-4 attackers (liked the Egyptian student who played for Hebburn yesterday) quite alot really but seems a few maybe late comers as perhaps those released by EFL clubs maybe become available if terms are not outrageous (DJ already mentioned player wage demands are going higher despite loses to Covid) and some become more realistic but its one industry that no one is realistic.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:36 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 am
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Given how badly we performed in the league last season, we were a soft touch, then I happy to get some new blood.

“I don’t think he has the fire in his belly”.

That’s up there with: “Turnbull doesn’t score enough” and Pete’s: “Where’s the moon?” for silliest comments on here.
You should change your name to Darlogrumps.

So I am not allowed an opinion :)
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 04, 2021 10:00 am

Shame about Campbell and Liddle in particular. However, superb news about Charman who I think has the potential to be a bit of a star at this level. Showed glimpses last season - hopefully he can stay fit and kick on this coming year.

Interesting summer for Armstrong, having to rebuild probably more of his squad than expected. However, it potentially gives scope to change things around a bit - DJ alluded to it in his interview on the OS about getting more physical.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue May 04, 2021 10:10 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 am

“I don’t think he has the fire in his belly”.

You should change your name to Darlogrumps.

So I am not allowed an opinion :)
You’re perfectly entitled to an opinion.

But I’m entitled to say your opinion is a daft, OTT reactionary opinion.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:52 am

It is not abnormal on the first week of May.

I know our season was curtailed a while back but in reality we would only just be finishing the campaign around now.

GK
McMahon
Storey
CB (Hunt / Laing)
LB
Wheatley
Hatfield
CM
Sousa
Charman
Rivers

We will have a decent core of a side, assuming we will those gaps but we are incredibly light in reserve.

I would not be surprised to see Nicky Featherstone and Ryan Donaldson become available this summer. Not sure how unpopular they would be and whether Tommy Miller would have first dibs.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:21 am

JE93 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:24 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:05 am
bga wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:

Think Hatfield signed a two year deal last summer aswell (rather than a 1+1) so Hatfield and Charman currently the only players confirmed for next season.
I might have imagined it, but didn't Hedley sign a new contract last season? Maybe he is still under contract.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue May 04, 2021 11:33 am

Tue May 04, 2021 8:59 am
Given how badly we performed in the league last season, we were a soft touch, then I happy to get some new blood.
I agree with you we were a soft touch far too often last season and we need some new blood. I have no idea whether Campbell has the fire in his belly or not but I am not too concerned by his departure. He is a skilful little footballer but for me he he is neither a wide player or a central striker and we will be better balanced side without him providing we can bring in the right players.
Many will of course disagree but it is a game of opinions and you are entitled to yours as much as anyone else.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue May 04, 2021 12:17 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:33 am
Tue May 04, 2021 8:59 am
I agree with you we were a soft touch far too often last season and we need some new blood. I have no idea whether Campbell has the fire in his belly or not but I am not too concerned by his departure. He is a skilful little footballer but for me he he is neither a wide player or a central striker and we will be better balanced side without him providing we can bring in the right players.
Many will of course disagree but it is a game of opinions and you are entitled to yours as much as anyone else.
Pierremont has a point about us being a soft touch last season.

It's easy to forget as none of us went to the ground, but our home league form was poor.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue May 04, 2021 2:42 pm

Is Wheatley our longest standing player now?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:44 pm

The stats really showed how effective Campbell was for us.

https://twitter.com/DarloFCSG/status/13 ... 79841?s=19

As I say we had a good mix. Campbell had the most assists per 90 mins. Charman had the most goals per 90 mins and Maguire was somewhere in the middle.

Either way all 3 score and assist regularly. It is a shame 2/3 are leaving that is the reality - but it happens in football.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue May 04, 2021 3:11 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:42 pm
Is Wheatley our longest standing player now?
Only player left from MG era.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue May 04, 2021 3:24 pm

lo36789 wrote:The stats really showed how effective Campbell was for us.

As I say we had a good mix. Campbell had the most assists per 90 mins. Charman had the most goals per 90 mins and Maguire was somewhere in the middle.

Either way all 3 score and assist regularly. It is a shame 2/3 are leaving that is the reality - but it happens in football.
So if I’m reading that correctly, Campbell was averaging a goal and an assist every three games (so two attacking returns every three games).

That’s not bad for someone with “no fire in his belly”.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue May 04, 2021 3:45 pm

Being a soft touch came from our lack of stature, not any lack of skills as demonstrated by our poor performance against the Hornchurch heavies. AA has to look at some big lads particularly in defence whilst Charman needs a speed merchant or touch player as a partner, although Sousa can do this too. Prefer to have local NE lads so they can all train together, but if we have to cast the net further, so be it. Generally, AA does get players who are proud to pull on a Darlo shirt, so this critera is another factor to a successful squad.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue May 04, 2021 3:56 pm

We need 2/3 players to give us that physicality and desire to win no matter what attitude, the Boston / Telford games showed what we are lacking.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Tue May 04, 2021 4:20 pm

Although I don't disagree with people who say we need a speedy and/or touch player up front, but we had that in Campbell last year and against the bigger teams we really struggled. The type of player we need the most is someone with a stronger presence up front. Someone who can hold the ball up and give us a different option to the passing style of football we currently play. That's not to say we stop doing that, but for two years now we've needed a plan B and we haven't had one.

If we got a player like that, the ideal player to play next to them would have been Campbell.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue May 04, 2021 4:33 pm

It’s the first time that I can remember for a while where 6 players actually choose to leave us and to me is a bit of a worry. I realise that at this level money, more game time, preferred position etc are important but only a couple of months ago most on here were saying, me included, that we have a good basis of a squad but need 3 players, all more physical. Mainly gk, centre half and attacking midfielder.
Well if as rumoured another 3/4 are freed to go with those above, we will need about 10 new players. It’s very rare that such a large influx of players all at once results in a successful team unless you are throwing money around to attract higher level players.
AA himself said a number of times that he had the basis of a succesful squad, a great team spirit and dressing room and just needed a couple more.
Sounds like he offered them all deals to stay, just seems odd that 6 choose not to re sign.
Exciting times ahead though with lots of speculation and new signings to come.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 04, 2021 4:49 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:24 pm
lo36789 wrote:The stats really showed how effective Campbell was for us.

So if I’m reading that correctly, Campbell was averaging a goal and an assist every three games (so two attacking returns every three games).

That’s not bad for someone with “no fire in his belly”.
Basically per 90 minutes he had a great return.

Efficiency of chances taken isnt really shown there (per a point earlier) mind but I feel Andy Cole used to be accused of needing too many chances to score...but looking back he was half decent.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue May 04, 2021 6:50 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:20 pm
Although I don't disagree with people who say we need a speedy and/or touch player up front, but we had that in Campbell last year and against the bigger teams we really struggled. The type of player we need the most is someone with a stronger presence up front. Someone who can hold the ball up and give us a different option to the passing style of football we currently play. That's not to say we stop doing that, but for two years now we've needed a plan B and we haven't had one.

If we got a player like that, the ideal player to play next to them would have been Campbell.
Charman was that holding player up front, but we did not get the two of them together often enough due to circumstances. Cams is that speed/touch man & it is a shame he wants to leave. Maguire had started in too few games & failed to build a real understanding with Cams or anyone else up front.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue May 04, 2021 7:46 pm

4 in at Blyth today, 4 due tomorrow. Could be Atkinson, Reid, Watson etc. Makes sense if they are from up there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Tue May 04, 2021 7:59 pm

If we want Charman to be that holding forward, he probably needs to gain a bit more strength and compete in the air a bit more. He also needs to get a nastier side, play just on the right side of not getting into trouble with the ref. He does however have the ability in running the line well because we saw it at Swindon, but after that only in short bursts.

One of the biggest criticism we the fans put on the team last year was our inability to move the ball from back to front quickly, every thing was predictable and slow. This is what a forward player with holding attributes can give you. To me Charman isn't quite that type of player, but that's nothing to say he can't become that player.

The attributes I've listed tend to think we need a 6ft 4in powerhouse, but Jordan Hulme fits a lot of what we need and he's shorter than Charman. I know we can't get him, but there are other options that might be more within our wage structure.

Darlospike

Post by Darlospike » Wed May 05, 2021 7:08 am

Hunt and Saltmer released, we have taken the one year extension on Wheatley as per the option in his contract.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed May 05, 2021 7:25 am

It really is a major clear out. 8 players leaving and not sure whether Holness will be around so a massive rebuilding job for AA in the summer. Basically looks like a whole new defence required with possibly only Storey McMahon and Hedley left. Hatfield and Wheatley remain at the heart of the team and good attacking options in Sousa Rivers and Charman.
Probably at least 10 new players will need to be recruited which makes BTB vital. Come on chaps and girls lets give Alan all the help we can.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 05, 2021 7:33 am

The problem for Alun is that he needs to make signings now, but it's very hard for him to know what his budget will be, when btb runs to the end of May. Perhaps the club should look to run btb in future years through April?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 05, 2021 11:47 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:33 am
The problem for Alun is that he needs to make signings now, but it's very hard for him to know what his budget will be, when btb runs to the end of May. Perhaps the club should look to run btb in future years through April?
We have over 3 months until the season starts.