Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 05, 2021 7:11 am

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Re: Wheatley stays, Hunt and Saltmer released

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:16 am

We don't half struggle with goalkeepers don't we.

Do always feel there is a complete lack of patience with GK these days. People seem to want to find issue with them.

"Great shot stopper but..."

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 05, 2021 7:21 am

Sure AA will have loads of players lined up. Minter might be a consideration as he is 3rd choice at Harrogate. Noticed their 2nd choice keeper was back for the trophy final

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 05, 2021 7:29 am

Not surprised by Hunt's release, as he didn't dominate our defense like I'd hoped he would. Saltmer never generated much confidence & I'm sure there are better options out there. Never saw Hunt or Saltmer play, apart from on TV at Bristol Rovers.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 05, 2021 7:41 am

lo36789 wrote:We don't half struggle with goalkeepers don't we.

Do always feel there is a complete lack of patience with GK these days. People seem to want to find issue with them.

Don’t think we’ve had a fully convincing permanent keeper since Adam Bartlett in the Martin Gray era.

Some of the loans have been good, but in terms of permanent, contracted keepers we’ve had Jonny Maddison, Chris Elliott and now Saltmer, none of whom have convinced.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed May 05, 2021 7:53 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:29 am
Not surprised by Hunt's release, as he didn't dominate our defense like I'd hoped he would. Saltmer never generated much confidence & I'm sure there are better options out there. Never saw Hunt or Saltmer play, apart from on TV at Bristol Rovers.
Did you not watch Quaker TV Pete?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed May 05, 2021 8:23 am

With all these players leaving, Campbell has been the only surprise to me. We're having a bigger rebuild than I thought, and it seems a little strange coming from a season that we never saw.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed May 05, 2021 8:39 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:23 am
With all these players leaving, Campbell has been the only surprise to me. We're having a bigger rebuild than I thought, and it seems a little strange coming from a season that we never saw.
AA did say after the Hornchurch game that he felt that changes were needed and looks like he meant it.Assuming Holness may not be around and Laing and Holmes may not be offered anything a major rebuild will be needed. Hudson is another who may not stay so it seems likely we will be left with possibly only 8 players.
McMahon
Hedley
Storey
Hatfield
Wheatley
Sousa
Rivers
Charman
Still the basis for a decent squad but looks like a busy Summer ahead and looking forward to see who comes in.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 05, 2021 9:32 am

Makka Pakka wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:53 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:29 am
Did you not watch Quaker TV Pete?
Yes sorry I did watch some of the games on Quaker TV, just forgot about it. :crazy:

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed May 05, 2021 10:03 am

I think Holness deserves a crack at it he hasn't had a long run in the team that would build up more understanding with team mate. He I think has the qualities required.

dl10quaker

Post by dl10quaker » Wed May 05, 2021 10:37 am

Regarding the goalkeeping position, it seems like the last couple of seasons (maybe even Maddison as well) we’ve just made do with whatever was cheap and fell into our lap as we’ve spent the money on other positions.
I’d like to see us go out spend a decent wage on a top goalkeeper for this level (easier said than done obviously as I can’t think of many).

Seems the big NE clubs are reluctant to loan one of their keepers out for the full season, so don’t want to be getting to the end of pre season and still waiting for them to decide if they’ll loan us one.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 05, 2021 10:47 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:41 am
lo36789 wrote:We don't half struggle with goalkeepers don't we.

Don’t think we’ve had a fully convincing permanent keeper since Adam Bartlett in the Martin Gray era.

Some of the loans have been good, but in terms of permanent, contracted keepers we’ve had Jonny Maddison, Chris Elliott and now Saltmer, none of whom have convinced.
Agree. It just seems a repetitive problem that we have, do wonder if it is at all to do with unrealistic expectations of a GK at this level.

What is Sam Russell's likely situation at Grimsby following their relegation? Experience over youth perhaps...

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Wed May 05, 2021 11:44 am

onewayup wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:03 am
I think Holness deserves a crack at it he hasn't had a long run in the team that would build up more understanding with team mate. He I think has the qualities required.
Agree, we've always look better when he's played.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed May 05, 2021 11:50 am

Holness won't be here next season. He has been under-used over the last two seasons and has little (to no) ties to the local area.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:00 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:21 am
Sure AA will have loads of players lined up. Minter might be a consideration as he is 3rd choice at Harrogate. Noticed their 2nd choice keeper was back for the trophy final

Would happily have Minter back, he can't be happy being a 3rd choice keeper at a League to club. At his age he needs to be playing games.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:36 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:00 pm
Would happily have Minter back, he can't be happy being a 3rd choice keeper at a League to club. At his age he needs to be playing games.
FT v not being FT mind

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed May 05, 2021 12:37 pm

D_F_C wrote:

Agree regarding Minter but even if released by Harrogate would he want to come to us? He has relocated up north for a full time contract at a League 2 club. If he is released I would have thought he could get fixed up at a NLS club easily enough which might suit him better.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed May 05, 2021 12:39 pm

D_F_C wrote:

Minter is from London and currently a full-time player with an EFL club. In the event that he was released by Harrogate Town, I suspect his first priority would be to secure another full-time contract somewhere else. If he was subsequently forced to consider going part-time again, I think he would be more likely to return to his London roots than join Darlo.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:39 pm

Saltmer signs for Bradford PA.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:49 pm

That means he will be unbeatable when we play them. I just know it !