6 players leave

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

QUAKERMAN2
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 6 players leave

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:00 pm

D_F_C wrote:maguire joins money starved Blyth.
Dying to find out from AA's next interview with Ray why 4 of last season's squad have all decided to do a U turn.A bit worrying tbh but not gutted.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu May 06, 2021 7:08 pm

More than coincidence that all 4 have rejoined Blyth they must have had this planned but we are hardly in a position to complain as they came to us as a bit of a job lot. Blyth have obviously decided that they need to bring in experienced players to survive next season.
Looking at it realistically though I don’t think we need to be too worried by losing these players.
Liddle. Good player in 2019/20 but was getting caught out a bit last season and at 31 possibly his best days are behind him.
Reid. Versatile but could never really nail down a regular place. Aged 29 and basically a squad player.
Watson. Had plenty of injuries in his career and now 28. Capable of doing a decent job in defence but again essentially a squad player.
Maguire. Used to be decent but played very little football in the last 2 seasons. Also aged 28 and a lot to prove next season.
We may live to regret the departure of these lads and I genuinely hope they can help to restore better times at Blyth. Honestly though would be hopeful we can recruit some younger players who can develop and take us to a better level.
Last edited by Old Git on Fri May 07, 2021 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:16 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:31 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:Wonder why they went back to Blyth en masse. If we offered them reduced terms then surely it still wouldn't amount to what Blyth will be paying them.
Unless the Blyth chairman has put his hand in his pocket.

Two years of misery with a Northern League level squad, so he’s shelling out a bit more to make them more competitive.
He chose the right seasons to pull back his spending!

I don't know if it all boils down to money mind so I don't even know if the four they have taken are particularly expensive.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 06, 2021 9:38 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:31 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:Wonder why they went back to Blyth en masse. If we offered them reduced terms then surely it still wouldn't amount to what Blyth will be paying them.
Unless the Blyth chairman has put his hand in his pocket.

Two years of misery with a Northern League level squad, so he’s shelling out a bit more to make them more competitive.
He chose the right seasons to pull back his spending!

I don't know if it all boils down to money mind so I don't even know if the four they have taken are particularly expensive.
They’ll be a step up from last season’s squad.

No way is Maguire being paid the same as some of the Northern League-level players they had for the last couple of years.

The likes of Reid and Watson won’t be on mega money, but it’s surely more than Blyth have been paying for the last two years.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:08 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:37 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:50 pm
Maguire is a funny one in the sense that he showed us what he could do in the minutes he did play, it is just a shame that injuries prevented him from playing more (missed 8 weeks of the curtailed season through muscle injuries).
He did. Weren't injuries an issue for him at York as well?
Yes. Hamstring & back problems.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:16 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:22 pm
Wonder why they went back to Blyth en masse. If we offered them reduced terms then surely it still wouldn't amount to what Blyth will be paying them.
Liddle, Watson & Reid won’t be too far off at Blyth than what they were on here at an educated guess.

All four of Liddle, Watson, Reid & Maguire all live (or work) in the Northumberland/North of the Tyne area. Once you take into account the reduced travelling, and increased likelihood of game time at Blyth, then it does start to add up.

The situation has just been exasperated somewhat by Campbell also signing for Gateshead.

Given all the talk of players going out, I’ll start with a bit of baseless speculation for players we might be interested in: Robbie Briggs (South Shields), Macauley Langstaff (Gateshead), Josh MacDonald (Pools) & Paddy McLaughin (York).

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Thu May 06, 2021 11:29 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:16 pm
The situation has just been exasperated somewhat by Campbell also signing for Gateshead.
One of my favourite malaprops.

In reference to Old Git's post further up, is 28/29 considered to be over the hill these days? I always thought the general consensus was that most players are generally in their prime around then.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 07, 2021 6:04 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Given all the talk of players going out, I’ll start with a bit of baseless speculation for players we might be interested in: Robbie Briggs (South Shields), Macauley Langstaff (Gateshead), Josh MacDonald (Pools) & Paddy McLaughin (York).
Interesting on Briggs. Shields are going full time this season will he be in / out on that proposal?

I actually don't really know where to look for likely players we might bring in, or past connections with Armstrong.

I feel like anyone dropping out of full time football at York/Hartlepool would be of interest to Spenny (particular with Miller there).

I feel like we have a stronger pull up from Yorkshire and see what Middlesbrough throw out this season. Notice William Kokolo is there now I wonder if he would be a decent replacement for Liddle.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Fri May 07, 2021 7:12 am

I love a bit of speculation, makes the summer go faster!

I’ll throw a few names out there who could possibly be available and I think would be solid signings

Joe Fryer , Melvin Minter, Rob Briggs, David Wheater , Josh McDonald , Tom White , Junior Mondal, Luke Molyneux

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri May 07, 2021 7:35 am

- And Sam Russell ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:48 am

Lallacab wrote:I love a bit of speculation, makes the summer go faster!

I’ll throw a few names out there who could possibly be available and I think would be solid signings

Joe Fryer , Melvin Minter, Rob Briggs, David Wheater , Josh McDonald , Tom White , Junior Mondal, Luke Molyneux
Phil Turnbull?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri May 07, 2021 8:01 am

Vokuhila wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:29 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

In reference to Old Git's post further up, is 28/29 considered to be over the hill these days? I always thought the general consensus was that most players are generally in their prime around then.
Not over the hill but unlikely to be improving. I think we need to bring in some players in their early 20s who are still hungry to improve and develop. Of course there has to be a blend of youth and experience and we still have McMahon Wheatley Hatfield and Rivers. I am sure AA will have this in mind when reshaping his squad.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri May 07, 2021 8:28 am

Vokuhila wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Another malaprop contender earlier in this thread -
"Surprised people are so negative for Campbell, I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't been involved (scored or assisted) half of our goals in the last 2 seasons which is no mean feet. " - or feat?
TBF Campbell has good ball skills!😁

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:30 am

lo36789 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:04 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Interesting on Briggs. Shields are going full time this season will he be in / out on that proposal?

I actually don't really know where to look for likely players we might bring in, or past connections with Armstrong.

I feel like anyone dropping out of full time football at York/Hartlepool would be of interest to Spenny (particular with Miller there).

I feel like we have a stronger pull up from Yorkshire and see what Middlesbrough throw out this season. Notice William Kokolo is there now I wonder if he would be a decent replacement for Liddle.
Totally baseless but players that might be of interest:
Sol Brynn (GK) - loan
Zac Hemming (GK) - loan
Melvin Minter (GK)
Tyrone O'Neill (ST)
Jack Lambert (AM)
David Wheater (CB)
Scott Barrow (LB)

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:31 am

jjljks wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:28 am
Vokuhila wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Another malaprop contender earlier in this thread -
"Surprised people are so negative for Campbell, I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't been involved (scored or assisted) half of our goals in the last 2 seasons which is no mean feet. " - or feat?
TBF Campbell has good ball skills!😁
:oops: I'll blame quickly typing on my phone for that one :oops:

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri May 07, 2021 1:41 pm

Apparently we had offers in for both Gillies and Buddle, but turned us down for Blyth..

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri May 07, 2021 1:49 pm

AndyPark wrote:Apparently we had offers in for both Gillies and Buddle, but turned us down for Blyth..
Could understand Buddle but if you read the Spenny post about him leaving, he has work commitments that might mean he misses games or training.

Can’t see why we’d be in for Gillies as we have better already here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:30 pm

JE93 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:30 am
lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Totally baseless but players that might be of interest:
Sol Brynn (GK) - loan
Zac Hemming (GK) - loan
Melvin Minter (GK)
Tyrone O'Neill (ST)
Jack Lambert (AM)
David Wheater (CB)
Scott Barrow (LB)
Decent list that. I'd think Minter has to be unlikely unless it's a loan again. I don't know what his contract is like, but he's not from the area is he, so I can't imagine he'd be staying up north if he's not a pro. Lambert I liked and given our departures, I could see him getting some playing time. Wheater has to be possible and I think he's mates with McMahon.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Fri May 07, 2021 3:27 pm

Here’s my throw random footballers in the mix to see if darlo might have a gander at.

GK-Sam Russell, Zach Hemming, Sol Brynn, Jake Turner.

Defenders-David Wheater, Aaron Cunningham, Williams Kokolo, Nathan Lowe, Jordan Hunter, Kieran Weledji

Midfielders-Robert Briggs, Josh Macdonald, Nicky Featherstone, Isaac Fletcher Junior Mondal, Josh Hawkes, Connor Oliver.

Attackers-Tom Allan (Newcastle) Jimmy Spencer, Mitchell Curry, Tyrone O’Neill. Kevin Hayes.

Before anyone has a go I am fully aware that most of these will be nowhere near what will probably happen but it’s all fun and games now isn’t it folks

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri May 07, 2021 4:07 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:Here’s my throw random footballers in the mix to see if darlo might have a gander at.

GK-Sam Russell, Zach Hemming, Sol Brynn, Jake Turner.

Defenders-David Wheater, Aaron Cunningham, Williams Kokolo, Nathan Lowe, Jordan Hunter, Kieran Weledji

Midfielders-Robert Briggs, Josh Macdonald, Nicky Featherstone, Isaac Fletcher Junior Mondal, Josh Hawkes, Connor Oliver.

Attackers-Tom Allan (Newcastle) Jimmy Spencer, Mitchell Curry, Tyrone O’Neill. Kevin Hayes.

Before anyone has a go I am fully aware that most of these will be nowhere near what will probably happen but it’s all fun and games now isn’t it folks
Some interesting names. I’m not here to criticise your list but I heard Salford are after Brynn. If it’s the Spencer at Farsley then he’s signed a new deal

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri May 07, 2021 4:34 pm

Good fun to speculate about signings as it always is at this time of year. No need for panic as I expect plenty of players will be getting released soon as the EFL season is about to finish.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri May 07, 2021 8:03 pm

David Atkinson now at Shildon, with their manager saying he can get him 'Enjoying his football again'. Make of that last statament what you will.

divas

Post by divas » Fri May 07, 2021 9:45 pm

Getting him off the treatment table would be a decent start. Biggest sick note since Stephen “two weeks” Thomas

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri May 07, 2021 9:51 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:03 pm
David Atkinson now at Shildon, with their manager saying he can get him 'Enjoying his football again'. Make of that last statament what you will.
Doesn't it just mean being fit and playing regularly again, something he hasn't managed to do in an extended period of time. It's not surprising he hasn't been enjoying football during his time with us. He has hardly played and when he has he has largely looked uncomfortable and out of condition.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:07 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:51 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:03 pm
Doesn't it just mean being fit and playing regularly again, something he hasn't managed to do in an extended period of time. It's not surprising he hasn't been enjoying football during his time with us. He has hardly played and when he has he has largely looked uncomfortable and out of condition.
Agree I just read it as pressure is off a bit and a lot less spotlight.

He has moved from Step 2 to Step 5.

Decent standard but effectively supply league football. Not big errors live on BBC and a 6-0 thrashing by Bristol Rovers.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:12 am

Shildon have applied to play at step 4 next season along with Hebburn and Stockton.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 08, 2021 10:34 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Briggs is undecided on signing a new deal at South Shields, or at least he was around 6 weeks ago when the news first broke of South Shields going full-time.

It's rumoured that we have offered him a contract.

Langstaff worked with Alun at Blyth, is locally-based and can play on either side. I'd also hazard a guess and say if Paul Blackett & Jordan Preston became available at Gateshead (with them having Adam Campbell & Jordan Cook now), then we will be after both of these as well (we have been in for Jordan Preston before).

Paddy McLaughin has Darlo connections I believe, and it looks likely he is set to be released by York. We need a centre midfielder (or two).

Interesting summer ahead. We probably need about 9/10 signings and there aren't many potential signings standing out like a sore thumb (as they have been over the past 2 summers anyway).

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat May 08, 2021 10:49 am

I've found it intriguing who people think we might sign and some degree of worry when weren't due to play our last game this season until 29th May! That's three weeks away.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Sun May 09, 2021 6:27 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:34 am
lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Briggs is undecided on signing a new deal at South Shields, or at least he was around 6 weeks ago when the news first broke of South Shields going full-time.

It's rumoured that we have offered him a contract.

Langstaff worked with Alun at Blyth, is locally-based and can play on either side. I'd also hazard a guess and say if Paul Blackett & Jordan Preston became available at Gateshead (with them having Adam Campbell & Jordan Cook now), then we will be after both of these as well (we have been in for Jordan Preston before).

Paddy McLaughin has Darlo connections I believe, and it looks likely he is set to be released by York. We need a centre midfielder (or two).

Interesting summer ahead. We probably need about 9/10 signings and there aren't many potential signings standing out like a sore thumb (as they have been over the past 2 summers anyway).
Paul blacketts got potential, scored a few for blyth and the game i saw streamed when he returned to gateshead he had a good game. Would be a shame if he went
Last edited by shildonlad on Sun May 09, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun May 09, 2021 6:36 pm

Eating on the pitch?