Integrity in the National League!!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Integrity in the National League!!

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:30 am

As more and more clubs have nothing to play for (as in they can't go up or down) then National League results will continue to become increasingly daft.

Let's look at Wealdstone, players on Furlough and new ones brought in - last two results a 6 nil reverse to M'head and a 7/2 drubbing against Hartlepool.

Nice and easy for some :roll:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Re: Integrity in the National League!!

Post by Old Git » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:27 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:30 am
As more and more clubs have nothing to play for (as in they can't go up or down) then National League results will continue to become increasingly daft.

Let's look at Wealdstone, players on Furlough and new ones brought in - last two results a 6 nil reverse to M'head and a 7/2 drubbing against Hartlepool.

Nice and easy for some :roll:
Absolutely correct but it provides an advantage if you like betting on football. I have successfully opposed Woking in their last two games. They are in poor form and languishing near the foot of the NL with nothing to play for. Wrexham were 5/4 to beat them on Saturday and duly did so 4-0. Last night Torquay were 4/5 to beat Woking and won 2-0.
I am sure the bookies will catch on but if you like a football bet have a good look at the fixtures in the NL with a view to opposing teams near the bottom with nothing to play for because some clubs have effectively given up by the look of it.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 am

So there is no competition which is what the league is based on ,another national league management cockup.

en passant

Post by en passant » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:27 pm

I thought that one of main objections to the formation of the Super League was that there was no jeopardy for failing teams as there would be no relegation. They more or less decried this as fundamentally undermining the whole essence of competition and is not what sport should be about. Yet this is perfectly OK if it only happens outside the Football League. Whilst there are a lot of worthy comments from just about everyone on how we must preserve the natural roots of the game and honour the spirit of the game, I do think this has missed the point that there is a lot of football that is not already flooded with money and just about scrapes by. The game is still top heavy with the money men who do not give a fig for the real roots of the game and although they have put the boot into this particular attempt at a breakaway it may well not be the last effort to do so unless the current navel gazing does cause a fundamental reorganization of how football is being run. Some chance.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:54 pm

en passant wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:27 pm
Yet this is perfectly OK if it only happens outside the Football League.
I am not sure it is perfectly ok...but with the current situation and in line with the votes of the member clubs it is where we are...there was actually some objection to the NLN and NLS season ending.

And many on here felt that giving anyone the opportunity to get promoted, which would in turn mean relegation would have been a continued threat in the division above, "lacked integrity".

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:49 am

By my calculations 14 days have passed since the letter went in re the E.G.M. This is the communication started by Dorking and Maidstone and supported by seemingly 15 other clubs about no confidence in the National League board.

A reply was expected within this period but Ives and co seem to dragging their feet yet again.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat May 08, 2021 9:02 am

The National League are experts in kicking the can down the road. We have Ollie Bayliss (the mole who just keeps on digging) still trying to get his hands on details about the infamous funding meeting - Here he is - taken from his Twitter page -

"73 days ago I submitted a Freedom of Information Act request to the DCMS regarding the National League funding meeting.

The department has yet to supply the information it holds on the subject.

I’ve now submitted a formal complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office."

Meanwhile it seems that the league have responded to the 17 clubs asking for an EGM by engineering some kind of vote -

To quote Ollie again -

"The National League will hold an EGM on Wed 26 May to hold a vote of no confidence in the Chairman & the Board.

The meeting was requested by clubs, who I understand, are now "seeking legal advice as to whether the structure of the meeting, as proposed by the League, is lawful."
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat May 08, 2021 2:03 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:02 am
The National League are experts in kicking the can down the road. We have Ollie Bayliss (the mole who just keeps on digging) still trying to get his hands on details about the infamous funding meeting - Here he is - taken from his Twitter page -

"73 days ago I submitted a Freedom of Information Act request to the DCMS regarding the National League funding meeting.

The department has yet to supply the information it holds on the subject.

I’ve now submitted a formal complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office."
This FoI complaint has nothing to do with the NL inactions

The request was submitted to the DCMS and it is the DCMS who have not complied with the request from Ollie Bayliss. You can't hold the NL board responsible for the failure of a government agency to respond to an FoI request.

The NL confirmed months ago they (for whatever reason) did not take a minute of the meeting. Why the DCMS have not responded to the FoI request is perhaps of interest.

If it was said and minuted at the meeting that future payments were to be loans only, then why haven't the DCMS published the minute? Could it be that the minute does not record what was said on this point, or could it be the minute supports the NL Management? I have no idea and am only raising possibilities ( not probabilities).

Meanwhile it seems that the league have responded to the 17 clubs asking for an EGM by engineering some kind of vote -

To quote Ollie again -

"The National League will hold an EGM on Wed 26 May to hold a vote of no confidence in the Chairman & the Board.

The meeting was requested by clubs, who I understand, are now "seeking legal advice as to whether the structure of the meeting, as proposed by the League, is lawful."

Its not said what the issue is with the structure of the meeting, but I am guessing the NLN/S clubs who requested the meeting are trying to argue it should be 1 club one vote, not the 23 votes for NL and 4 each for NLN & NLS

If it is one club one vote, then there is more likelihood of the motion being passed, as that will give more weight to the NLN /S clubs that the 23 votes to 4 and 4 that has been used for other issues.

It will be interesting to see whether the clubs legally have a chance of succeeding arguing for one club one vote

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat May 08, 2021 3:33 pm

Spen.

To your first point - I see what you mean.

To your second point I also see what you mean. I got the impression previously that the 17 clubs wanted an actual meeting, where grievances could be aired, people held to account and a vote, however I'm wondering if Ive's and co are just trying to engineer some kind of quick vote, weighted in their favour.

Then of course we still have the buried Bernstein report!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:24 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:33 pm
Spen.

To your first point - I see what you mean.

To your second point I also see what you mean. I got the impression previously that the 17 clubs wanted an actual meeting, where grievances could be aired, people held to account and a vote, however I'm wondering if Ive's and co are just trying to engineer some kind of quick vote, weighted in their favour.

Then of course we still have the buried Bernstein report!
I had forgotten about the Bernstein report! Would love to see what that said. Shame no one has leaked it

Going back to the FoI request - I am not sure that an FoI request could be made to the NL as it is not a public body /authority. That would explain why Ollie Bayliss made request to the DCMS

I am interested to find why the DCMS have not responded to the FoI request. Its not a complicated request and should be easily dealt with quickly. The DCMS will get FoI requests regularly and be used to dealing with them.

Do the DCMS have something to hide? [ Insert conspiracy theory here]

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun May 09, 2021 6:35 am

Integrity also short in Premier League with Spurs charging £60+ £1.75 booking fee for entry after 17 May. Contrast the greed of this Big 6 pretender club to Burnley who are giving 3500 free entries based on ballot of season ticket holders. That is integrity!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 09, 2021 7:11 am

Could be verses in an Alanis Morisette song about integrity.

"When you give away your tickets to a sporting event for free when other charge a market rate..."

"When participants in a competitions aren't allowed to win a prize because others have opted not to play any more..."

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun May 09, 2021 7:23 am

jjljks wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:35 am
Integrity also short in Premier League with Spurs charging £60+ £1.75 booking fee for entry after 17 May. Contrast the greed of this Big 6 pretender club to Burnley who are giving 3500 free entries based on ballot of season ticket holders. That is integrity!
I was totally dumbfounded when I heard that, sadly I was not shocked as Levy is famous for his antics.
I don't see how, when they have got so many season ticket holders they can legally do this.

In RL, KR have had to do a ballot for the first 2 games as we have nearly 6000 pass holders but can only get 4000 into the ground. No food, no drink, no nothing, but the club have told those that miss out they will be involved in discussions to find a way that everyone is happy with to make sure they are compensated while the club do not drain away any more money.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun May 09, 2021 5:12 pm

Just curious. Did all season ticket holders get to see one game and 2,000 two games?