Local'ish clubs released lists

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Local'ish clubs released lists

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 22, 2021 11:26 am

He’s certainly had a varied career since leaving us as well.

Manager of the Grenada national team, a spell in the Finnish 3rd division and now director of football at Histon. That’s what you would call well-travelled.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 22, 2021 12:40 pm

The actual Tommy Taylor we’re signing is an interesting one. Highly-rated by Scarborough fans (although they were very disappointed he took a sideways step to Buxton rather than moving up the pyramid). He was regarded as one of the best goalkeepers, if not the best, in the NPL last summer and had a trial with an SPL club.

Joey Hope, I expect, will be back-up for a more senior left-back signed at some point.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 22, 2021 1:57 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:The actual Tommy Taylor we’re signing is an interesting one. Highly-rated by Scarborough fans (although they were very disappointed he took a sideways step to Buxton rather than moving up the pyramid). He was regarded as one of the best goalkeepers, if not the best, in the NPL last summer and had a trial with an SPL club.

Joey Hope, I expect, will be back-up for a more senior left-back signed at some point.
Sounds like 2 interesting signings and totally not predictable.Agreed regarding Hope as he looks like he has a lot of potential and Taylor comes with a very good reputation albeit in the league below us.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat May 22, 2021 2:00 pm

Experienced centre half is probably the most vital player we need, especially if the goalkeeper covers off that position that we don't all worry about it all season.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat May 22, 2021 2:36 pm

I have no idea how good Taylor is but looking at his profile he appears to be around 6ft 3 ins. So if nothing else he has at least got the stature to be the sort of keeper I would like to see.
Hope his signature is confirmed soon and he proves to be the answer to our goalkeeping needs.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat May 22, 2021 6:40 pm

Confirmed Taylor has signed.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat May 22, 2021 6:45 pm

Tommy Taylor now confirmed. Look forward to seeing him play, was very well thought of at Scarborough. So hopefully can come in and make the slot his own. Not had a quality keeper of our own since Pete Jameson.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat May 22, 2021 7:38 pm

Another one tomorrow morning. There's hints that it's going to be a CB

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat May 22, 2021 7:53 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:38 pm
Interesting. Would love for it to be Wheater.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat May 22, 2021 8:13 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 6:45 pm
Tommy Taylor now confirmed. Look forward to seeing him play, was very well thought of at Scarborough. So hopefully can come in and make the slot his own. Not had a quality keeper of our own since Pete Jameson.
Great news, I'm always a firm believer that a goalie needs to be over 6' tall, although we have had some good one's at around 6' tall.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sat May 22, 2021 8:20 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:53 pm
D_F_C wrote:
I wish it was - just can’t see it to be honest

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat May 22, 2021 8:20 pm

JE93 wrote:
D_F_C wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised, I think there is a high chance.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat May 22, 2021 8:39 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
JE93 wrote:
D_F_C wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised, I think there is a high chance.
I was hoping Wheater too. You never know but I’d expect him to go to a full time team in the area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat May 22, 2021 9:06 pm

It’ll be Joey Hope, released from Grimsby recently

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat May 22, 2021 10:27 pm

Lexus Beeden 6f3 ball playing CB. Ex Reading. No idea if he has links to the area

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat May 22, 2021 11:10 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 10:27 pm
Lexus Beeden 6f3 ball playing CB. Ex Reading. No idea if he has links to the area

Has the potential to be a great signing and the type of centre half we’ve been missing in recent years.

https://www.nesportnews.co.uk/darlingto ... p-defence/

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun May 23, 2021 7:12 am

D_F_C wrote:

Now signed 👍

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun May 23, 2021 7:34 am

From the interview the lad seems to have a bit about him too so hopefully a leader at the back as well.
An interesting break from AAs policy of signing players from the area. For me a good thing as we don't need to focus completely on local lads. The balance needs to be right, with the bulk of your players local, which was too far the other way under Tommy.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun May 23, 2021 8:21 am

D_F_C wrote:

Interesting signing. Completely left field, don't think anyone would have been picking him as our next signing. But I like his interview, seems like a confident young lad and definitely a bit of a unit at 6'3. Hopefully can give us a bit of the steal we've been lacking for the last couple of years.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun May 23, 2021 8:49 am

A different approach to the rebuild than I had initially expected. I'm a little intrigued as to whether this is going to turn out to be a better squad or not and obviously time will tell. Interesting to see that the players to come in so far like Mondal, Griffiths, Beeden, Taylor and (possibly) Hope are all relatively young players that have yet to really establish themselves and are almost unknown quantities at this level, rather than the tried and tested that AA brought in from Blyth or Hunt and McMahon last season. Also is this a reflection of the budget this season and the competition we face, this coming season will be the toughest yet in my opinion?
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 23, 2021 8:52 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:34 am
From the interview the lad seems to have a bit about him too so hopefully a leader at the back as well.
An interesting break from AAs policy of signing players from the area. For me a good thing as we don't need to focus completely on local lads. The balance needs to be right, with the bulk of your players local, which was too far the other way under Tommy.
To be fair he's said he has said he's moving very different to commuting distance like Tommy + his midlands lot.

Obviously the clips were cherry picked but he shows quite a bit of composure on the ball wanting to pick out a pass not just clear the danger.

We are seen as a stepping stone for him but that is no bad thing he has to prove himself.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 23, 2021 8:54 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:34 am
I think Alun was forced to sign players from the local area at Blyth due to location and also financial constraints. Down here he has a little more scope to recruit from a bit further afield (and I do think in some ways he has been forced into casting the net out further).

Under TW we had players travelling from Birmingham, Cambridge & Luton (and had to pay accordingly). I do think recruiting from Yorkshire is more sustainable than the aforementioned areas recruited from under TW.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 23, 2021 8:56 am

I would be surprised if the players we have signed are notably cheaper than those that have left in all honest. Player for player they could be more expensive.

Mondal / Maguire, Taylor / Saltmer, Beeden / Hunt. Griffiths / Liddle

We should have some budget left from Campbell, Reid, Watson as well.
Last edited by lo36789 on Sun May 23, 2021 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun May 23, 2021 9:01 am

Well we needed some physicality and the 3 new defenders give us that with two at 6’3” and Griffiths always been a tough “proper” right back. Unusual to sign players that we know nothing about really and big decisions by AA, let’s hope he,s played a blinder! Look forward to actually seeing them live in a few weeks!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun May 23, 2021 9:47 am

A signing completely out of the blue but could be a brilliant one for us. Seems he was recommended by Craig Liddle who should know a thing or to about central defenders. At 21 years old and 6ft 3ins could have plenty of scope to develop.
He is going to relocate to the area so let’s make him feel especially welcome when we are allowed to see him in a black and white shirt.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 23, 2021 10:05 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:56 am
I would be surprised if the players we have signed are notably cheaper than those that have left in all honest. Player for player they could be more expensive.

Mondal / Maguire, Taylor / Saltmer, Beeden / Hunt. Griffiths / Liddle

We should have some budget left from Campbell, Reid, Watson as well.
I didn't say that they would be notably cheaper.

I think we have scope to bring in another 7 players, 8 if Sousa departs.

Campbell, Maguire, Hunt, Laing & McMahon not being contracted for 21/22 has freed up a sizable chunk, along with Saltmer, Liddle, Reid, Atkinson & Watson departing too.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 23, 2021 10:21 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:49 am
Also is this a reflection of the budget this season and the competition we face, this coming season will be the toughest yet in my opinion?
Sorry...was in response to this. I don't think as yet we can come to this conclusion.

Not sure what it reflects on the budget. We have had more go out than come in but I don't see an obvious deterioration in quality in what is coming in so far.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun May 23, 2021 11:34 am

lo36789 wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:49 am
Also is this a reflection of the budget this season and the competition we face, this coming season will be the toughest yet in my opinion?
Sorry...was in response to this. I don't think as yet we can come to this conclusion.

Not sure what it reflects on the budget. We have had more go out than come in but I don't see an obvious deterioration in quality in what is coming in so far.
These 4 signings will make us a better side man for man IMO.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun May 23, 2021 12:45 pm

Interesting update from AA on the squad for next season. Naturally he is pleased with the players he has so far managed to sign and is in negotiations with several more targets.
Hudson will be given a chance in pre season to get some game time and could be offered something if impressing. Holness unlikely to be returning as he is now based in Bristol and is looking for a club in that area and Laing had his operation in April but could miss most if not all next season. Exciting times ahead hopefully.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun May 23, 2021 12:50 pm

I wonder if Lexus will be a Rolls Royce of a defender?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY